Heir Apparent (a riddle)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OmicronPersei8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OmicronPersei8
Member since 2005 • 1546 Posts
Jim, a wealthy businessman owner, at the age of 40, decided it was time for him to get married and start a family. He found a wonderful young woman named Sarah, and the two married within a year. Within the next 3 years, the couple had given birth to 2 wonderful children- Tom the older brother, and Jill the younger sister. 25 yrs later on a Saturday afternoon in October, the family of four was taking a drive to the marina to celebrate a birthday, when the BMW they were driving was struck head on by a drunk driver. Jim the father and Sarah the mother, who were riding in the front, were killed instantly, but the two children in the back were completely unharmed. After the funeral, the two siblings met with the father’s attorney for the reading of the will. As the will was succinct, the attorney read the will aloud: “I, Jim, being of sound mind and body, upon my death do hereby name my first born child as the sole heir to my fortune and my estate, with all entitlements and valuables contained within.” The attorney, upon verifying the signatures and authenticity of the will and all other family certificates, then turned to the two children and said- “Jill, you receive 100% of the fortune- approximately 25 million dollars, and Tom- you get nothing.” Tom was shocked, but the attorney assured him Jill was the rightful heir and that he could not contest the will. How was this possible? Notes & Hints: -Jim and Sarah were the biological parents of Tom and Jill. -Tom and Jill were the only children. -Tom and Jill were the legal birth names of the children; no gender or name changes occurred. -The couple never divorced, they never had affairs, and there were no previous children by either of them. -The attorney needed to review all pertinent documents thoroughly to determine which child was the rightful heir. -There were NO typographical or clerical errors on any family certificates, and the paperwork was very exact.
disc0very

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 disc0very
Member since 2006 • 3636 Posts
TLDR.
Crimson_Sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Crimson_Sin
Member since 2006 • 3004 Posts

Jill is the first born

Tom was made with magic

PercivalCox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PercivalCox
Member since 2007 • 985 Posts

Tom was a Cesarean- section so technically Jill was the first born of the womb.

-

Just like Shakespeare's Macbeth

PercivalCox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PercivalCox
when the witches told him that no man born of woman shall kill Macbeth, so he thinks he is invincible, only to have Macduff challenge him and tell him he was a C-section baby before he kills Macbeth.
yermomsboxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 yermomsboxx
Member since 2005 • 6348 Posts

-

Just like Shakespeare's Macbeth

PercivalCox
when the witches told him that no man born of woman shall kill Macbeth, so he thinks he is invincible, only to have Macduff challenge him and tell him he was a C-section baby before he kills Macbeth.PercivalCox
Nice.  I'm impressed.
mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts
TLDR.disc0very
ya pretty much
OmicronPersei8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 OmicronPersei8

-

PercivalCox
The father's will made no provisions about birth method, so that argument is moot. Nonetheless, for added clarity, neither child was C-section born.
qetuo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 qetuo6
Member since 2006 • 2732 Posts
DNA evidence shows that the mother wasn't as faithful to the father as he thought.
PercivalCox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PercivalCox
[QUOTE="PercivalCox"]

-

OmicronPersei8

The father's will made no provisions about birth method, so that argument is moot. Nonetheless, for added clarity, neither child was C-section born.

So, Tom wasn't a test-tube baby either, eh?

OmicronPersei8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 OmicronPersei8
[QUOTE="OmicronPersei8"][QUOTE="PercivalCox"]

-

PercivalCox

So, Tom wasn't a test-tube baby either, eh?

Nope- both the children were standard pregnancies, and as the notes/ hints state, they were no biological, chemical, or magical interventions. BTW, I did like your MacBeth theory. BIG Hint #1: The family was actually travelling to celebrate two birthdays that fateful October day the parents died.
PercivalCox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PercivalCox
So did I.  Really thought I nailed it.  Now this is becoming a mission for me!
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 eo12601
Member since 2003 • 4814 Posts
are you saying the children were twins?
sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sca321
Member since 2003 • 1903 Posts
If Jill was born first and Tom second, Tom would still be the oldest brother and Jill would still be the youngest sister.
OmicronPersei8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OmicronPersei8
are you saying the children were twins?eo12601
Ahhh, now we're getting warmer....
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 eo12601
If Jill was born first and Tom second, Tom would still be the oldest brother and Jill would still be the youngest sister.sca321
right. I think we got a winner here. I was thinking something along those lines as well.
sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sca321
[QUOTE="sca321"]If Jill was born first and Tom second, Tom would still be the oldest brother and Jill would still be the youngest sister.eo12601
right. I think we got a winner here. I was thinking something along those lines as well.

What do I win? I believe cookies are customary in this kind of situation.
Rabid_Moogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rabid_Moogle
Member since 2006 • 285 Posts
are you saying the children were twins?eo12601

didnt he say that tom was older?......but maybe theres a loop hole in the term "older" meaning he wasnt necessarily the first born.
OmicronPersei8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OmicronPersei8
[QUOTE="sca321"]If Jill was born first and Tom second, Tom would still be the oldest brother and Jill would still be the youngest sister.eo12601

Nope- Tom IS older than Jill. BIG Hint #2- This weekend is very appropriate for posting this ridddle
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#20 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts
[QUOTE="eo12601"][QUOTE="sca321"]If Jill was born first and Tom second, Tom would still be the oldest brother and Jill would still be the youngest sister.OmicronPersei8

Nope- Tom IS older than Jill. BIG Hint #2- This weekend is very appropriate for posting this ridddle

Ah,  tom was born before daylight savings, jill after.
PercivalCox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PercivalCox
Well, that makes sense.  Sucks for Tom though.
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#22 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts
Well, that makes sense. Sucks for Tom though.PercivalCox
Eh, Tom probably deserved it. He probably set the whole thing up thinking he would be the heir.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
[QUOTE="OmicronPersei8"][QUOTE="eo12601"][QUOTE="sca321"]If Jill was born first and Tom second, Tom would still be the oldest brother and Jill would still be the youngest sister.falconclan

Ah, tom was born before daylight savings, jill after.

That's it. Has to be.
Rabid_Moogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rabid_Moogle
[QUOTE="falconclan"][QUOTE="OmicronPersei8"][QUOTE="eo12601"][QUOTE="sca321"]If Jill was born first and Tom second, Tom would still be the oldest brother and Jill would still be the youngest sister.MattUD1

Ah, tom was born before daylight savings, jill after.

That's it. Has to be.

meh, day light saving riddle?.....a bit over-did.
is tom alive?
OmicronPersei8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OmicronPersei8
[QUOTE="OmicronPersei8"][QUOTE="eo12601"][QUOTE="sca321"]If Jill was born first and Tom second, Tom would still be the oldest brother and Jill would still be the youngest sister.falconclan

We have a winner!!! *Gives cookie* Tom and Jill were fraternal twins. Tom was born just before 1:59 AM. Jill was born a few minutes later, but the time of birth was listed as 1:02 AM, as the clocks "fell" back 1 hour in the fall due to DST. The timestamps were accurately recorded on the birth certificates that the hospital prepared.
haloraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 haloraider
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts

[QUOTE="falconclan"][QUOTE="OmicronPersei8"][QUOTE="eo12601"][QUOTE="sca321"]If Jill was born first and Tom second, Tom would still be the oldest brother and Jill would still be the youngest sister.OmicronPersei8

We have a winner!!! *Gives cookie* Tom and Jill were fraternal twins. Tom was born just before 1:59 AM. Jill was born a few minutes later, but the time of birth was listed as 1:02 AM, as the clocks "fell" back 1 hour in the fall due to DST. The timestamps were accurately recorded on the birth certificates that the hospital prepared.

Sucks for ol' Tommy boy.

Rabid_Moogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rabid_Moogle
[QUOTE="falconclan"][QUOTE="OmicronPersei8"][QUOTE="eo12601"][QUOTE="sca321"]If Jill was born first and Tom second, Tom would still be the oldest brother and Jill would still be the youngest sister.OmicronPersei8

>_> .....sigh....
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 eo12601
good riddle. Had me thinking. Did you come up with it on your own?
Rabid_Moogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rabid_Moogle
good riddle. Had me thinking. Did you come up with it on your own?eo12601

no offense, but if he did, it wasnt very good..... no offense. i just didnt like the answer....wasnt very...original...
OmicronPersei8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 OmicronPersei8
[QUOTE="OmicronPersei8"][QUOTE="falconclan"][QUOTE="OmicronPersei8"][QUOTE="eo12601"][QUOTE="sca321"]If Jill was born first and Tom second, Tom would still be the oldest brother and Jill would still be the youngest sister.Rabid_Moogle

>_> .....sigh....

Geez- tough crowd. OK- For you, I provide a more exciting (albeit a little far fetched) answer: Tom was an astronaut, and piloted the first rocket to travel at the speed of light. He flew it for a distance of 2 light years. Of course, according to Einstein's relativity theory, he would not have aged relative to earth; therefore, he actually returned to earth younger than his sister.
PercivalCox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PercivalCox

[QUOTE="eo12601"]good riddle. Had me thinking. Did you come up with it on your own?Rabid_Moogle

no offense, but if he did, it wasnt very good..... no offense. i just didnt like the answer....wasnt very...original...

If it was soooo unoriginal then why didn't you solve it?

A little bitter, maybe?

Rabid_Moogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rabid_Moogle

[QUOTE="Rabid_Moogle"][QUOTE="eo12601"]good riddle. Had me thinking. Did you come up with it on your own?PercivalCox

If it was soooo unoriginal then why didn't you solve it?

A little bitter, maybe?

I just over thought it, heh.
"day light savings" has been my answer for every time riddle ever since ive seen national treasure, lol.
And it never was it....so i just stopped...
and i said it wasnt very original. not "SOOOO unoriginal" r u like a 4th grade girl?
Rabid_Moogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rabid_Moogle
[QUOTE="Rabid_Moogle"][QUOTE="OmicronPersei8"][QUOTE="falconclan"][QUOTE="OmicronPersei8"][QUOTE="eo12601"][QUOTE="sca321"]If Jill was born first and Tom second, Tom would still be the oldest brother and Jill would still be the youngest sister.OmicronPersei8

>_> .....sigh....

Geez- tough crowd. OK- For you, I provide a more exciting (albeit a little far fetched) answer: Tom was an astronaut, and piloted the first rocket to travel at the speed of light. He flew it for a distance of 2 light years. Of course, according to Einstein's relativity theory, he would not have aged relative to earth; therefore, he actually returned to earth younger than his sister.

:shock: hehe ...... But he was still born before so XP
we go by earth time, not universe time. but that was a good answer anyway lawls.
PercivalCox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PercivalCox

and i said it wasnt very original. not "SOOOO unoriginal" r u like a 4th grade girl?

LOL, wow I'm gonna go ahead and stick with bitter :P

Rabid_Moogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rabid_Moogle

LOL, wow I'm gonna go ahead and stick with bitter :P

PercivalCox

>_>
>_>
>_>
>_> is all i can say.
PercivalCox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PercivalCox
Well, that was very thought provoking.  You should write a peer-reviewed scholarly journal on how that affects the rain forest.
Rabid_Moogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Rabid_Moogle
Well, that was very thought provoking.  You should write a peer-reviewed scholarly journal on how that affects the rain forest.PercivalCox

ok stfu, we're not arguing let it go
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#38 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
[QUOTE="eo12601"]are you saying the children were twins?OmicronPersei8
Ahhh, now we're getting warmer....

Siamese?
sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sca321
That doesn't make sense, if tom is older then he was born first, it doesn't matter if it's daylight savings time or not for one of the births.