Have you ever had to tell a family member you arent what they think you are?

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Thinking about telling my grandma who is a hardcore christian that im not one. Just a theist right now. Im not sure how shes gonna take it but im tired of keeping it a secret. Have you ever had to do something like this?
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#2 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts
Thinking about telling my grandma who is a hardcore christian that im not one. Just a theist right now. Im not sure how shes gonna take it but im tired of keeping it a secret. Have you ever had to do something like this? Capitan_Kid
I told mom I wasn't the guy she though she knew..... Took her a while to get used to me, now we get along fine. Good luck with your grandma though.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
You should tell her you are a devil-worshiper.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

ive told my parents i was a deist. have gave them hints to the fact that i am atheist.

though, my grandma and almost all relatives on my moms side(except my aunt and uncle. My aunt is understanding and accepting na d my uncle doesnt care) thinks/knows im atheist and pretty much shun/look down on me. everytime i see my grandma, she always has to bring up the fact that i need to read the bible and that she and her sisters and such, will pray for me. pisses me off. i avoid seeing her at all costs, and my parents dont push the issue as they understand.

i havent fully came out and said im atheist to my parents but have left big hints and they didnt bat an eye, so i doubt they would care either way.

my younger sister is on the fence, leaning towards atheism.

have not told anyone on my dads side of the family and dont plan to either.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DeadMan1290
You should tell her you are a devil-worshiper.Zeviander
That would be an instant heart attack.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Is it okay to lie to people i don't know
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I'm an ex-Muslim who has yet to tell the family about my apostasy. One of these days I will, though.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
No But it will probably be on the horizon My aunt and uncle are pretty devout Christians And two of the nicest people I have ever met We are a pretty close family in general, so I don't think they will be too...pushy
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DeadMan1290
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]No But it will probably be on the horizon My aunt and uncle are pretty devout Christians And two of the nicest people I have ever met We are a pretty close family in general, so I don't think they will be too...pushy

Wouldn't be surprised if they were pushy afterwards....
Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts
My family sucks and I do not like them at all. They are uneducated, ignorant superstitious fools. We live completely different lives and I no longer bother spending time with them. They do not approve of me since I am a free thinker and I do not share their stone age values.
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Yes. it went pretty well.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]No But it will probably be on the horizon My aunt and uncle are pretty devout Christians And two of the nicest people I have ever met We are a pretty close family in general, so I don't think they will be too...pushy

They shouldn't be too bad I think it will just be a case of everyone keeping their beliefs to themselves They have never really forced their beliefs on me and I don't see them starting now If they try, I will enjoy the discussion about faith But its definitely one of those arguments where you have to choose your words carefully Get your point across without insulting them or their faith LOOKING FORWARD TO IT...if it happens haha
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DeadMan1290
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="DeadMan1290"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]No But it will probably be on the horizon My aunt and uncle are pretty devout Christians And two of the nicest people I have ever met We are a pretty close family in general, so I don't think they will be too...pushy

They shouldn't be too bad I think it will just be a case of everyone keeping their beliefs to themselves They have never really forced their beliefs on me and I don't see them starting now If they try, I will enjoy the discussion about faith But its definitely one of those arguments where you have to choose your words carefully Get your point across without insulting them or their faith LOOKING FORWARD TO IT...if it happens haha

Good luck, man. >.>
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Capitan_Kid
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Thinking about telling my grandma who is a hardcore christian that im not one. Just a theist right now. Im not sure how shes gonna take it but im tired of keeping it a secret. Have you ever had to do something like this? DeadMan1290
I told mom I wasn't the guy she though she knew..... Took her a while to get used to me, now we get along fine. Good luck with your grandma though.

What kind of guy are you?
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
Told my parents that I would no longer go as far as even decided to use even go want to do look more like, after I had already went to summer camp in the winter of 94.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DeadMan1290
[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Thinking about telling my grandma who is a hardcore christian that im not one. Just a theist right now. Im not sure how shes gonna take it but im tired of keeping it a secret. Have you ever had to do something like this? Capitan_Kid

What kind of guy are you?

Why?
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DeadMan1290
Told my parents that I would no longer go as far as even decided to use even go want to do look more like, after I had already went to summer camp in the winter of 94.Nengo_Flow
Wut?
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

I don't know what there's to tell. I don't believe in god... but neither does my sister. And it's no secret that we don't (I wouldn't consider my mum to be religious, though she does believe in god and the after life).

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
My family sucks and I do not like them at all. They are uneducated, ignorant superstitious fools. We live completely different lives and I no longer bother spending time with them. They do not approve of me since I am a free thinker and I do not share their stone age values. BenedictArnold7
Well this for me too. Except its only my mom thats religious and she isnt exactly hardcore christian or stone age tradition follow either, but still annoying and thinks Im with the devil if im not praying.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

My uncle friended me on facebook and found out I'm an atheist. I didn't think anything of it at the time because he used to be cool about those types of things, but ever since he started AA he went back to religion and I think he opened his mouth. I don't know how many people in my family he's told, but I know he's told a few.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Capitan_Kid
I'm an ex-Muslim who has yet to tell the family about my apostasy. One of these days I will, though.ghoklebutter
Is your family a bit on the extreme side?
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
Thinking about telling my grandma who is a hardcore christian that im not one. Just a theist right now. Im not sure how shes gonna take it but im tired of keeping it a secret. Have you ever had to do something like this? Capitan_Kid
I think one question would by why is it hard for you to keep it a secret? Are you forced to go to church every week? You'll have to decide whether it is worth the relief you might feel to be open about it vs how it will make your grandmother (which depending on age may not even be long for this world) feel and still make you feel bad about it. If she is a very understanding woman hopefully she will accept that and go on but that isnt often the case when it comes to older religious people.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]I'm an ex-Muslim who has yet to tell the family about my apostasy. One of these days I will, though.Capitan_Kid

Most of my dad's side is pretty religious and ethnocentric. They most likely will react very badly, especially since I'm rather liberal (I'm pro-choice, support gay marriage, etc.).
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DeadMan1290
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]I'm an ex-Muslim who has yet to tell the family about my apostasy. One of these days I will, though.ghoklebutter

Most of my dad's side is pretty religious and ethnocentric. They most likely will react very badly, especially since I'm rather liberal (I'm pro-choice, support gay marriage, etc.).

I think for your sake, don't say anything....
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
My parents would be fine with whatever religious choices I made. They just want me to be genuine about it.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Capitan_Kid
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Thinking about telling my grandma who is a hardcore christian that im not one. Just a theist right now. Im not sure how shes gonna take it but im tired of keeping it a secret. Have you ever had to do something like this? Kurushio
I think one question would by why is it hard for you to keep it a secret? Are you forced to go to church every week? You'll have to decide whether it is worth the relief you might feel to be open about it vs how it will make your grandmother (which depending on age may not even be long for this world) feel and still make you feel bad about it. If she is a very understanding woman hopefully she will accept that and go on but that isnt often the case when it comes to older religious people.

Well my grandmas been trying to bond with me lately and really learn who I am. Id feel better if i could tell her. She wont be mad, shel'l probably be sad. Im not forced to go to church but when we have conversations she goes on and on and on and on about christian stuff. She's been giving me a buch of boring ass bible lessons too. I think she will understand. Or blame it on satan
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Is your family a bit on the extreme side?

At this time? Of course. But eventually I'll have to tell them the truth.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DeadMan1290
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="DeadMan1290"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"] Most of my dad's side is pretty religious and ethnocentric. They most likely will react very badly, especially since I'm rather liberal (I'm pro-choice, support gay marriage, etc.).

Yeah, my thoughts too. Maybe when you move out far, far away.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Mother says I can't tell Grandma what I think of her BS Catholic beliefs, how many ridiculous holes are in her theories and beliefs, and what I think about the fact that she donates money to charities that shove their pro-life abuse down the throats of scared pregnant women. My grandmother called a local store that had ads for car speakers (the loud wub wub wub ones) on the radio to yell at them because 'kids' keep driving near her house with the loud speakers and they better quit selling them because they're disturbing the peace. TL;DR, I would LOVE to tell my grandmother what I think about some of the crap she says and does, but I don't want to give her a heart attack and kill her. Because as you guys know, when I rip into somebody, I rip good.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Capitan_Kid

My uncle friended me on facebook and found out I'm an atheist. I didn't think anything of it at the time because he used to be cool about those types of things, but ever since he started AA he went back to religion and I think he opened his mouth. I don't know how many people in my family he's told, but I know he's told a few.

theone86
Well, at least he did the hard part for you. Though thingsl'l be a bit awkward now
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="DeadMan1290"] I think for your sake, don't say anything....

Despite my aversion to their creed and my fear of their wrath, I do love my family. So I'm only going to wait until I'm on my own, not until I've moved far away (though I hope that I will have at least moved out of my dad's house upon reaching independence).
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DeadMan1290
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="DeadMan1290"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"] At this time? Of course. But eventually I'll have to tell them the truth.

Despite my aversion to their creed and my fear of their wrath, I do love my family. So I'm only going to wait until I'm on my own, not until I've moved far away (though I hope that I will have at least moved out of my dad's house upon reaching independence).

I do wish you well when you decide to tell your family your true beliefs.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="DeadMan1290"] Yeah, my thoughts too. Maybe when you move out far, far away.

I do wish you well when you decide to tell your family your true beliefs.

Thanks =]
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I was never in that kind of situation, but unless your life is in danger, like that muslim guy, i would recommend telling/showing people what you are really about. You have to be who you are even in front of people who disapprove. Its your life, not theirs. Life is too short to pretend to be something you are not.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DeadMan1290

I was never in that kind of situation, but unless your life is in danger, like that muslim guy, i would recommend telling/showing people what you are really about. You have to be who you are even in front of people who disapprove. Its your life, not theirs. Life is too short to pretend to be something you are not.

Videodogg
To some there are severe consequences that come from that.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ghoklebutter

Videodogg

My life probably isn't in danger; I can't imagine them having so much hatred for me that they want to murder me. But I am likely to face widespread condemnation, which may lead to me being disowned or unloved in the collective sense. Or perhaps they'll try to pressure me to return to the religion or restrict my freedom in some way.

That said, most Christians and similar non-Muslims don't have to worry about the possibility of lethal backlash in response to apostasy. So I pretty much agree.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
If you do decide to tell them you should probably have your reasons well rehearsed and in a way they can understand. I'm not overly religious myself but i still think there are some good things you can learn from religion and it's teachings.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

No. I don't talk about my belief system or anything for the most part.

dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts

A couple times, yes. Like when i told my mom i'm asexual. She didn't mind surprisingly.

WaterSphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WaterSphere
Member since 2012 • 203 Posts
Not really, no.
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

Nope, but I will eventually. I have yet to tell my parents that I'm no longer a Christian, but I'm not exactly rushing to bring that up anytime soon. Not until I'm out of the house, at least.

Also, I'm pretty sure my parents think I'm gay so I guess when I tell them otherwise that would apply to this thread.

Edit- anyone else having problems with punctuation on here? It keeps getting deleted (like it probably will now).

Avatar image for Chow_Mein_Kampf
Chow_Mein_Kampf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chow_Mein_Kampf
Member since 2012 • 6203 Posts

Yeah.........When my father found out about my atheist tendencies.....................

ramealdabest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ramealdabest
Member since 2008 • 519 Posts

Nope, but I will eventually. I have yet to tell my parents that I'm no longer a Christian, but I'm not exactly rushing to bring that up anytime soon. Not until I'm out of the house, at least.

Also, I'm pretty sure my parents think I'm gay so I guess when I tell them otherwise that would apply to this thread.

Edit- anyone else having problems with punctuation on here? It keeps getting deleted (like it probably will now).

LZ71

Elaborate. Please.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#45 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you TC. My grandma is really religious and my mom is sort of, but I'm an atheist. They always try to get me to go to church but I don't want to. I feel like someone else who believes in God and can benefit from faith should be on my spot in the pews, not me. Of course I'd never tell them this. They'd think I was some sort of devil worshipper. Or that my friends convinced me to think this way since apparently they think I'm too stupid to make my own decisions.

And jeez, my grandma even went as far as to say that the current predicament I'm in is because I don't go to church and I'm "blocking my blessings" (when actually its just due to my own irresponsibility). Made me facepalm so hard. I love my Grandma and Mom but I don't agree with their line of thinking.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

nah, im very open to all around me, family and freinds, if there was something diffrent about myself, or i wanted some sort of change, i would openly say it so, don't give fvck all what others think, and vice versa.

Vaultboy-101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Vaultboy-101
Member since 2009 • 1778 Posts

Yeah, I've openly told every member of my family that i'm an atheist, one side of my family is almost completely atheist or agnostic, the other side are mostly theists but don't take their religion all too seriously, it's simply a heritage to them. I've also tried to convince my parents, who were Catholics, why belief in a deity is nonsensical, I dare say my father is no longer religious, not sure about my mother. No problems though.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

My parents are hard-core conservatives. My mom is a semi-religious humanitarian with major issues on who she likes to help and my dad is basically Rush Limbaugh in human form.

Both are very old-fashioned in terms of parenting and life-choices.

I am a semi-liberal Republican with an open-minded view on religion (I'm deeply religious myself, but am man enough to admit there are serious issues with it) and have modern viewpoints for many things.

My parents, as much as we disagree on many things, have always known I was different in my worldviews from them and I've never really been afraid to let them know when I thought they were just bullsh*tting me. We still eat dinner at the same table, if you catch my drift.

EDIT: Actually, I just thought of something, but it's the complete opposite of what many of you deal with. My parents believe I hate humanity, am a cynical person, spend time listening to death metal, steal money, and go out drinking and smoking every night with my friends because I'm always with them instead of at home and don't tell them where I go very often.

I reality, I'm the one person of my circle of friends who doesn't have any anger issues, always make the jokes, listen to classical and country music (the "death metal" my parents hear is video game remixes, like this), and spend time with people that drag me to the mall to buy MLP memorabilia and Gamestop. I guess having to tell my parents that I'm a nerd would destroy their preconcieved notions that I'm a cynical degenerate.

OrianaDorta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 OrianaDorta
Member since 2005 • 3114 Posts

I told my grandma I'm not a believer, she went mad and told me not to try to change her ways of thinking and I told her not to try to change mine :P

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#50 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

Parents fully aware i'm not religious, though still well versed in it.

Sometimes critical of Muslims acts, often find myself providing the other side of the arguement while not being a bigot.

I'm as fringe social liberal as my family gets as well, which i'd dare say is more centrist then a lot of folks on here.

Kinda shocked about some of my past experiences, as well as the different sorts of people i keep company with. Like they were shocked that i was friends with and knew and liked two transgirls i met while in grad school.

I had one instance this past September where i walked out of the khutba (Friday sermon) because i seriously took issue with the Imam's preaching. Which caught my dad's attention, while not wanting to cause a public issue.