Has religion done more good or harm?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts

What do you guys think?

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Harm.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts
I'd say good.
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
harm. almost every war has been religion based. you can't say that is not true in some way. well...you could...but you'd be wrong.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Harm
AnObscureName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 AnObscureName
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts
harm. almost every war has been religion based. you can't say that is not true in some way. well...you could...but you'd be wrong. pygmahia5
Was World War One religiously based?
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Famiking
harm. almost every war has been religion based. you can't say that is not true in some way. well...you could...but you'd be wrong. pygmahia5
Religion doesn't kill people, people kill people.
darkhorse286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darkhorse286
Member since 2007 • 440 Posts

I'd say harm.

Trelaf_TheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Trelaf_TheWise
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts

[QUOTE="pygmahia5"]harm. almost every war has been religion based. you can't say that is not true in some way. well...you could...but you'd be wrong. Famiking

Yeah but God mandating murder kinda HELPS doesn't it...?

The_Sand_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The_Sand_Man
Member since 2008 • 6788 Posts
Overall I think it has done more harm than good.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Famiking

[QUOTE="Famiking"][QUOTE="pygmahia5"]harm. almost every war has been religion based. you can't say that is not true in some way. well...you could...but you'd be wrong. Trelaf_TheWise

How does God mandate murder?

Murder is amongst the worst of sins, scratch that, it IS the worst of sins.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

HArm. And I'm not talkign about mass murder. I'm talking about technological advancement.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

I think the question is meaningless because it's impossible to even determine. There's no way you can quantify or measure those two terms in relation to religion.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

It's historically done a heap of good in the arts and humanities.

tomo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 tomo90
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

Humanities interpretation of that which we cannot explain has killed people, organisedreligion is a human creation with it's purpose to bring order to the unanswered questions. Humanity kills not religion,some mayact on it and hide behind it,but we pull the trigger.

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts
Harm, 800 years of dark ages, we could be freaking exploring space by now :(
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Famiking
Harm, 800 years of dark ages, we could be freaking exploring space by now :(bean-with-bacon
While you were in the dark ages other regions were progressing, so don't worry, we never really hit a pause button :)
Trelaf_TheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Trelaf_TheWise

[QUOTE="Trelaf_TheWise"]

[QUOTE="Famiking"] Religion doesn't kill people, people kill people.Famiking

Well, how do you think Islam spread?;) through peace? Or by attacking other nations, killing people, enslaving their women and children and converting the survivors?

God wills it;)

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Famiking

[QUOTE="Famiking"]

[QUOTE="Trelaf_TheWise"]

Trelaf_TheWise

Well, how do you think Islam spread?;) through peace? Or by attacking other nations, killing people, enslaving their women and children and converting the survivors?

God wills it;)

Neither. Muslims won wars against other tribes, Islamic laws were enacted in non-muslim regions which eventually caused people to convert. There was no torture of women or children to convert.
Avatar image for Morning_Revival
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Morning_Revival
Member since 2008 • 3475 Posts
More harm than it will ever do good.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Eh, I'd say more harm.
DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DucksBrains
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts

[QUOTE="Famiking"]

[QUOTE="Trelaf_TheWise"]

Trelaf_TheWise

God wills it;)

The Crusades would've been a better example of 'God' mandating murder.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#23 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

harm.

Avatar image for illegalimigrant
illegalimigrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 illegalimigrant
Member since 2008 • 1402 Posts

What do you guys think?

Acemaster27
Atheist will say harm religious will say good. If you look at the heart of every religion its all about compasion and helping those less fortunate. Look at mother theresa. And as for the wars started by religion. There has also been wars started by atheist for no real reason. Look at the cristeros war. War is something people do for their own reasons. Priest are people too so they are not immune from human flaws. To think that religion is evil is just to be one sided and ignore everything else.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
Well no, because your premise itself is wrong.
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kamekazi_69
Member since 2006 • 4704 Posts

HArm. And I'm not talkign about mass murder. I'm talking about technological advancement.

BumFluff122
Fail, explain how. Religion actually established some of the first school and got Europe out of the dark ages. Though for the purpose to read the bible, that implied reading, philosophy, language, and grammar. Don't forget that our top schools of science and law (cYale, Stanford, Harvard) were religous facilities. So I ask you to explain how
Trelaf_TheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Trelaf_TheWise

[QUOTE="Trelaf_TheWise"]

[QUOTE="Famiking"] How does God mandate murder?

Famiking

God wills it;)

Neither. Muslims won wars against other tribes, Islamic laws were enacted in non-muslim regions which eventually caused people to convert. There was no torture of women or children to convert.

So you're fine with conquering other nations in the name of God? Don't you think that's messed up? And I talked about ENSLAVING men,women and children now I know you won't react to that because Islam is fine with enslaving those who you conquered in war.

Islam is a sick religion IMO

Shiroibwoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shiroibwoy
Member since 2005 • 199 Posts

Well it certainly helped governments keeping people in check.

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Famiking
They were not conquered in the name of god, they were conquered because those tribes waged war first for various reasons depending on the war. And Islam is not fine with enslaving anyone, but the people will do it anyway and think they're doing the right thing. "Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loveth not transgressors." [2:190]
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Religion has done more good than harm. People are better disciplined and are more stable when they have a religion to follow. People who don't follow a religion do not generally have a coherent view on morality, if any whatsoever, which enables them to do harm than good.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

Kamekazi_69

Fail, explain how. Religion actually established some of the first school and got Europe out of the dark ages. Though for the purpose to read the bible, that implied reading, philosophy, language, and grammar. Don't forget that our top schools of science and law (cYale, Stanford, Harvard) were religous facilities. So I ask you to explain how

Religion has notiriously held back technological advancement. How does that need explaining? It's common sense. If people believe in an all powerful being that will whisk them away upon death to a land full of lollipops and roses do you really think that the strive toward technological advancement would be there? Heck all you need to do is look at the current situation between homosexual marriage and religious ideologies to see what effect religious ideals have on the world around them.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Religion has done more good than harm. People are better disciplined and are more stable when they have a religion to follow. People who don't follow a religion do not generally have a coherent view on morality, if any whatsoever, which enables them to do harm than good.Genetic_Code

I call B.S. Having a religion does not make one morally superior, it simply means what they assert is their moral code is clearly laid out. Agnostics and atheists are not a bunch of amoral lunatics, they simply don't believe they have to adhere to one dogmatic set of values.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5a79221380856

Religion has notiriously held back technological advancement. How does that need explaining? It's common sense. If people believe in an all powerful being that will whisk them away upon death to a land full of lollipops and roses do you really think that the strive toward technological advancement would be there? Heck all you need to do is look at the current situation between homosexual marriage and religious ideologies to see what effect religious ideals have on the world around them.

BumFluff122
Same-sex marriage has nothing to do with technology. Also, don't think that technology is divorced from morality. Technology still has to be utilized through ethical means.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="Acemaster27"]

What do you guys think?

illegalimigrant

Atheist will say harm religious will say good. If you look at the heart of every religion its all about compasion and helping those less fortunate. Look at mother theresa. And as for the wars started by religion. There has also been wars started by atheist for no real reason. Look at the cristeros war. War is something people do for their own reasons. Priest are people too so they are not immune from human flaws. To think that religion is evil is just to be one sided and ignore everything else.

That's not necessarily true. First off, many people are taking the question out of contect. The question was has religion done more harm than good, not is religion inherently evil. To acknowledge what harm religion has caused throughout history is not to decry your onw faith, it is simply being objective.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
[QUOTE="Acemaster27"]

What do you guys think?

illegalimigrant
Atheist will say harm religious will say good. If you look at the heart of every religion its all about compasion and helping those less fortunate. Look at mother theresa. And as for the wars started by religion. There has also been wars started by atheist for no real reason. Look at the cristeros war. War is something people do for their own reasons. Priest are people too so they are not immune from human flaws. To think that religion is evil is just to be one sided and ignore everything else.[/QUOTE The cristero war was religious based bad example.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="Acemaster27"]

What do you guys think?

illegalimigrant

Well, to be perfectly fair, I actually think that a personal belief in God is a generally a good thing. It's organized religion that I sometimes take issue with.

Oh, by the way, I'm an atheist.

Trelaf_TheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Trelaf_TheWise

They were not conquered in the name of god, they were conquered because those tribes waged war first for various reasons depending on the war. And Islam is not fine with enslaving anyone, but the people will do it anyway and think they're doing the right thing. "Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loveth not transgressors." [2:190]Famiking

ahh christ:roll: yeah "tribes" conquered because of "various reasons", totally independent of what the Prophet said:roll: Yeah that's why the RIGHTEOUSLY guided Caliphs conquered eqypt, anatolia and persia, yeah islam had NOTHING to do with it:roll: and slavery? give me a break, you can't be serious, go to wikipedia and type "slavery islam", happy reading.

You know what why do I bother? you're gonna defend Islam no matter what because if it wasn't for the divine islamic mandate to conquer those other advanced, rich, fertile civilizations you'd still be living in....well let me stop here..

im done

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5a79221380856

I call B.S. Having a religion does not make one morally superior, it simply means what they assert is their moral code is clearly laid out. Agnostics and atheists are not a bunch of amoral lunatics, they simply don't believe they have to adhere to one dogmatic set of values.

theone86
I didn't say that agnostics and atheists are a bunch of amoral lunatics. Perhaps they may tend to be, which is obviously true, because how many theists do you know are nihilists? I didn't group them all in one category so there's no reason to whine.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BumFluff122

Same-sex marriage has nothing to do with technology. Also, don't think that technology is divorced from morality. Technology still has to be utilized through ethical means.Genetic_Code
It's an example of how religions can affect the world around them through their belilefs. There have been MANY times throughout history when societies turned away from technological advancement and instead their leaders chose to put their faith in religious texts and ran their country base don those texts. I'm not attacking your particular religion if that's what you believe.

Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Morning_Revival
Religion has done more good than harm. People are better disciplined and are more stable when they have a religion to follow. People who don't follow a religion do not generally have a coherent view on morality, if any whatsoever, which enables them to do harm than good.Genetic_Code
Thats total BS. I dont follow a religion, so that makes me unable to have a coherent view on morality? Just because I dont believe in an invisible dude sitting on a cloud means Im more likely to go on a murder spree? Im sorry but morality has little to do with Religion. Its all about how you were raised and what you grew up around. A child born in Soviet Russia with a good family and a nice town to live isnt going to go on some crazed murder spree.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5a79221380856

It's an example of how religions can affect the world around them through their belilefs.

BumFluff122
You're backpedaling. First you said that religion prevents advances in technology and now you clarify that it has nothing to do with technology.
There have been MANY times throughout history when societies turned away from technological advancement and instead their leaders chose to put their faith in religious texts and ran their country base don those texts.BumFluff122
Name one.
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Morning_Revival
go to wikipediaTrelaf_TheWise
You've lost credibility.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5a79221380856
[QUOTE="Morning_Revival"]Thats total BS. I dont follow a religion, so that makes me unable to have a coherent view on morality? Just because I dont believe in an invisible dude sitting on a cloud means Im more likely to go on a murder spree? Im sorry but morality has little to do with Religion. Its all about how you were raised and what you grew up around. A child born in Soviet Russia with a good family and a nice town to live isnt going to go on some crazed murder spree.

If you read my quote, I typed "generally", which means from a generalization, that's true. That doesn't make it absolutely true. I don't care for your anecdote. You could be the atheistic version of Mother Theresa for all I care. Good for you. And since you brought up being raised, I thought I'd like to mention that religion actually is good for parents raising children.
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Morning_Revival
Name one.Genetic_Code
Im likely wrong, but perhaps the Amish? I dont really know much about that though, so like I said; Probably wrong.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

It's an example of how religions can affect the world around them through their belilefs.

Genetic_Code

You're backpedaling. First you said that religion prevents advances in technology and now you clarify that it has nothing to do with technology.
There have been MANY times throughout history when societies turned away from technological advancement and instead their leaders chose to put their faith in religious texts and ran their country base don those texts.BumFluff122
Name one.

I'm backpedling? No I'm not. I gave an example of how religious ideas affect the community. That is all I did. I don't understand how you construe that as backpedaling but whatever makes you happy.

And China would be one. Look at Chinese history.

Trelaf_TheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Trelaf_TheWise

[QUOTE="Trelaf_TheWise"]go to wikipediaMorning_Revival
You've lost credibility.

Ok look it up on wikipedia, and research the facts by using OTHER sources as well. I thought everyone did this

....smartass

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="Morning_Revival"]Thats total BS. I dont follow a religion, so that makes me unable to have a coherent view on morality? Just because I dont believe in an invisible dude sitting on a cloud means Im more likely to go on a murder spree? Im sorry but morality has little to do with Religion. Its all about how you were raised and what you grew up around. A child born in Soviet Russia with a good family and a nice town to live isnt going to go on some crazed murder spree.Genetic_Code
If you read my quote, I typed "generally", which means from a generalization, that's true. That doesn't make it absolutely true. I don't care for your anecdote. You could be the atheistic version of Mother Theresa for all I care. Good for you. And since you brought up being raised, I thought I'd like to mention that religion actually is good for parents raising children.

To be perfectly fair, correlation does not imply causation.

As it says specifically in the article:

"It's also possible that the correlation between religion and child development is the other way around, he said. In other words, instead of religion having a positive effect on youth, maybe the parents of only the best behaved children feel comfortable in a religious congregation."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5a79221380856
Im likely wrong, but perhaps the Amish? I dont really know much about that though, so like I said; Probably wrong.Morning_Revival
Actually, you're right. However, as far as I know, the Amish never restricted technology for society as a whole.

I'm backpedling? No I'm not. I gave an example of how religious ideas affect the community. That is all I did. I don't understand how you construe that as backpedaling but whatever makes you happy.

And China would be one. Look at Chinese history.

BumFluff122
I've already pointed out the backpedaling and I couldn't make it any clearer. Gosh, this is hard to say without getting moderated. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5a79221380856

"It's also possible that the correlation between religion and child development is the other way around, he said. In other words, instead of religion having a positive effect on youth, maybe the parents of only the best behaved children feel comfortable in a religious congregation."

chessmaster1989
That can be assumed, but I don't think it's some accident that religious children are better behaved than non-religious children.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

Genetic_Code

That can be assumed, but I don't think it's some accident that religious children are better behaved than non-religious children.

Yes, and you would be assuming causation, which is fair. I'm just saying, nothing has actually been proven here.

If you have causation, however, you must have a supporting reason. Why would you speculate that religious children are better behaved than non-religious children, on average?