Guitar question: I'm having a minor problem...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts
So I finally got around to learning a song on the guitar. I chose Sunshine of Your Love, and it's going well, I got the main riff down, but I'm having a minor problem where when I lift my finger from a string, the string is slightly stuck to my finger so it makes a soft plucking sound, so when I play, I play the note and then sort of a quieter version of the note. So I was wondering is there's a technique or something that I'm not doing, or if it's just something that goes away with practice. Thanks a lot for any help.
1mpaler-w6rbnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 1mpaler-w6rbnd
Member since 2008 • 1992 Posts
Try practicing. Don't keep your fingers too stiff on a string.
ReviewTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ReviewTime
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
It depends on how hard your pushing and how moist your hands are. If your hands are sweaty and your pushing as hard as you possibly can then the string will stick to your finger but if you apply the right amount of pressure with dry hands you should be good.
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

Maybe you're pressing down on the string too hard? Try relaxing and playing each string individually to make sure you're not accidentally muting one with your finger. Also, make sure your fingers and the strings are clean.

Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts
LOL! Anyways, you're probably pushing to hard on the strings so you should practice on doing it softer.
ShadowofTulkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ShadowofTulkas
Member since 2007 • 1811 Posts
Just keep practicing, and also don't press down too hard on your strings simply switch pick-ups or turn your amp up. This will let enable you to play 'clean' but that really depends on your pick-ups and amp.
AmnestyErr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 AmnestyErr
Member since 2005 • 90 Posts

You should also take into account the tension on the strings and the type of strings he's utilizing.

Honestly, if you're practicing or learning how to play for the first time a Classica Guitar will work wonders in speeding up the learning process. Not only that but the strings are NYLON, just up the string tension when you get better, develop your hand techniques, strengthen your muscles and then finally move onto a steel-string guitar.