great work out program

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

guys i have a question which one would you recomend

im trying to get in shape, build muscles and etc. but im like skinny has heck and idk if that will help me or not. but which program will work for me

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
I've actually done insanity and it really is extremely hard. You also need some space to do the moves as there is a lot of jumping and hopefully you have solid floors to not disturb others. P90x you'll need to buy extra equipment but really would probably be better for building muscle. I think the gym though would be the best if you can afford it and actually have the discipline to go a few times a week and do a proper workout. Plus at a gym you have access to other things besides weights which can be fun and beneficial. Im far from a bodybuilder but from what i understand to build bulk you need weight. Insanity and P90x are mostly about cardio and toning more than anything.
Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts

lift heavy and take a multi

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
You'd probably have to drink quite a bit of the protein powder shakes to help build regardless of what you choose. I would also try to limit my intake of sodium since that will only make you retain water which wont help anything.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
All you need to start is a barbell, get used plates when you progress. Then you can do five excersizes with that, cept bench press but you can do pushups for that easies. dead lifts, squats, shoulder press and barbell row are the others. that's all you need really, that'll cover most every muscle. I'd do five sets of five reps and only do em once a week, spaced out to two days. also eat a bunch more calories, dats important too, also.
resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

All you need to start is a barbell, get used plates when you progress. Then you can do five excersizes with that, cept bench press but you can do pushups for that easies. dead lifts, squats, shoulder press and barbell row are the others. that's all you need really, that'll cover most every muscle. I'd do five sets of five reps and only do em once a week, spaced out to two days. also eat a bunch more calories, dats important too, also.KiIIyou

i know that but its hard when you have a fast metobalism

awesomeface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 awesomeface
Member since 2007 • 3661 Posts
I'm trying to gain muscle as well so I'm doing P90X, taking protein powder shakes and multivitamins. I just skip the cardio videos and focus mainly on the weight training. From what I understand Insanity is pretty much all cardio, so that's probably not the way to go. All you really need is dumbbells (which can be pricey), and bands or a pullup bar like the iron gym. Like you I also have a fast metabolism, so results are hard to see and take a while. But even though I haven't been lifting as heavy as I could be in the first half, I've seen a little bit of improvement. I plan on using heavier weights in the second half, so I wouldn't be surprised if I saw more of an improvement. I "borrowed" the videos, so the only thing I paid for was the dumbbells and pullup bar. I'm 5 weeks in and so far I think it's a good workout, the instructor and get kind of annoying, but other than that it's pretty good. I don't think I'd pay full price for the videos, so I'd recommend borrowing it from a friend or acquiring it by some other means.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Buy some weights. They do wonders.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KiIIyou

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"]All you need to start is a barbell, get used plates when you progress. Then you can do five excersizes with that, cept bench press but you can do pushups for that easies. dead lifts, squats, shoulder press and barbell row are the others. that's all you need really, that'll cover most every muscle. I'd do five sets of five reps and only do em once a week, spaced out to two days. also eat a bunch more calories, dats important too, also.resevl4rlz

i know that but its hard when you have a fast metobalism

Hard but easy. ;3
True_Chaos_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 True_Chaos_UK
Member since 2010 • 2570 Posts

Gym membership

I do this Begginers routine found on Bodybuilding.com

Basic full body work out, all compound movements plus I throw some barbell shrugs in as well

and on non lifting days 45 mins of cardio with so ab excercises.

changed my diet up a little made some good gains over the last few months.

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
[QUOTE="KiIIyou"]All you need to start is a barbell, get used plates when you progress. Then you can do five excersizes with that, cept bench press but you can do pushups for that easies. dead lifts, squats, shoulder press and barbell row are the others. that's all you need really, that'll cover most every muscle. I'd do five sets of five reps and only do em once a week, spaced out to two days. also eat a bunch more calories, dats important too, also.

Amen. Kii knows what's up!
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Regularly jog, lift weights, eat healthy.
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dodgerblue13
Regularly jog, lift weights, eat healthy.Diablo-B
Jogging too much increases the production of Cortisol in the body, a stress hormone. Cortisol reneges fat loss and hinders muscle growth.
SpiralSmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SpiralSmile
Member since 2012 • 245 Posts

Get a membership and do 10 mins high intensity cardio monday-friday. Also do abs on Mon,Wed,Fri. As far as weights go break it up like this:

Monday: Chest

Tuesday: Back

Wednesday: Legs

Thursday: Shoulders

Friday: Arms

Make sure to cover each part of the differnent muscle groups, eg. Do bench,incline,decline bench etc.

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dodgerblue13
TC, if you want some legitimate help (i.e. articles, anecdotes, studies), PM me.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

im trying to get in shape, build muscles and etc. but im like skinny has heck and idk if that will help me or not. but which program will work for me

resevl4rlz

Get a good barbell.

Learn how to do deadlifts.

Do them.

then also do pushups, pullups, chinups.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-598fc45371265

All you really need is dumbbells (which can be pricey), awesomeface

dumbells are pretty much for girls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-598fc45371265

All you need to start is a barbell, get used plates when you progress. Then you can do five excersizes with that, cept bench press but you can do pushups for that easies. dead lifts, squats, shoulder press and barbell row are the others. that's all you need really, that'll cover most every muscle. I'd do five sets of five reps and only do em once a week, spaced out to two days. also eat a bunch more calories, dats important too, also.KiIIyou

Starting off yes.

But eventually you'll reach want to start doing bench presses.

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dodgerblue13
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"] Get a good barbell. Learn how to do deadlifts. Do them.

This guy is all right in my book.
sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

Bodybuilding.com is your friend.

ArchDemon123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 ArchDemon123
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

[QUOTE="resevl4rlz"]

Storm_Marine

Get a good barbell.

Learn how to do deadlifts.

Do them.

then also do pushups, pullups, chinups.

pretty much and if you want to take bb a little bit more seriously consider also getting yourself a power rack and a good bench, then be settled for life. But for begginers that is a solid base (barbell and weights)
StateOfGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 StateOfGrace
Member since 2012 • 96 Posts
[QUOTE="awesomeface"]I'm trying to gain muscle as well so I'm doing P90X, taking protein powder shakes and multivitamins. I just skip the cardio videos and focus mainly on the weight training. From what I understand Insanity is pretty much all cardio, so that's probably not the way to go. All you really need is dumbbells (which can be pricey), and bands or a pullup bar like the iron gym. Like you I also have a fast metabolism, so results are hard to see and take a while. But even though I haven't been lifting as heavy as I could be in the first half, I've seen a little bit of improvement. I plan on using heavier weights in the second half, so I wouldn't be surprised if I saw more of an improvement. I "borrowed" the videos, so the only thing I paid for was the dumbbells and pullup bar. I'm 5 weeks in and so far I think it's a good workout, the instructor and get kind of annoying, but other than that it's pretty good. I don't think I'd pay full price for the videos, so I'd recommend borrowing it from a friend or acquiring it by some other means.

Seriously?? You do know that Cardio is important for muscle growth right? There's a reason why there's cardio in P90X... Do your research. Cardio allows oxygen to get into your muscles which allows for easier and faster growth. Lifting weights all the time won't do anything. Sure, you'll gain but not as much as if you incorporated Cardio into your workouts. Muscle won't do anything if you can't even lift for a certain amount of time. Cardio will make you lift longer and increase your endurance as well thus giving you more gains. As for me, I'm only 155 lbs, but I'm cut, with above average muscle mass (measured it on an electric scale), and I can run 13 miles without getting all that tired. P90X AND Insanity at the same time is the way to go.
Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Colt45fool
Member since 2003 • 79297 Posts

Gym membership if you have the discipline. The other two have far too much cardio for my liking.

Monday: Back/Biceps/Forearms/Backarms
Tuesday: Triceps/Chest
Wednesday: Shoulders/Legs
Thursday: Monday workout
Friday: Tuesday workout

Take weekends off. Run/abs every day. Consume 2500-3000 calories at least every day, around 6 meals or so. Once you're done bulking, you can strictly do cardio/strength training. I personally used to do 300 push ups/sit ups/dips/squats/jumping jacks/etc. in a one hour span every day.

Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

P90x is for building muscle mostly. Insanity is mostly cardio to lose weight. And gym membership if you know what you are doing is a really good choice if you correctly alternate between the equipment.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

[QUOTE="awesomeface"]I'm trying to gain muscle as well so I'm doing P90X, taking protein powder shakes and multivitamins. I just skip the cardio videos and focus mainly on the weight training. From what I understand Insanity is pretty much all cardio, so that's probably not the way to go. All you really need is dumbbells (which can be pricey), and bands or a pullup bar like the iron gym. Like you I also have a fast metabolism, so results are hard to see and take a while. But even though I haven't been lifting as heavy as I could be in the first half, I've seen a little bit of improvement. I plan on using heavier weights in the second half, so I wouldn't be surprised if I saw more of an improvement. I "borrowed" the videos, so the only thing I paid for was the dumbbells and pullup bar. I'm 5 weeks in and so far I think it's a good workout, the instructor and get kind of annoying, but other than that it's pretty good. I don't think I'd pay full price for the videos, so I'd recommend borrowing it from a friend or acquiring it by some other means. StateOfGrace
Seriously?? You do know that Cardio is important for muscle growth right? There's a reason why there's cardio in P90X... Do your research. Cardio allows oxygen to get into your muscles which allows for easier and faster growth. Lifting weights all the time won't do anything. Sure, you'll gain but not as much as if you incorporated Cardio into your workouts. Muscle won't do anything if you can't even lift for a certain amount of time. Cardio will make you lift longer and increase your endurance as well thus giving you more gains. As for me, I'm only 155 lbs, but I'm cut, with above average muscle mass (measured it on an electric scale), and I can run 13 miles without getting all that tired. P90X AND Insanity at the same time is the way to go.

I hope you're kidding, because you're wrong. Endurance training (cardio) inhibits power increase in humans when trying to increase both measures. You might want to do your research. Also electric scales use a blackbox equation and it measures fat mass, not muscle mass. More cardio is detrimental to muscle mass increase. Now if we are talking about the positive beneficial effects of cardio, there are plenty of reasons why it should be incorporated in a workout routine, but you are wrong on almost everything you just stated, hoepefully that was a joke post.

TC if you want to be healthier, working out 6 days a week 3 with cardio, and 3 with lifting will do wonders for your physical appearance and health. If you are more concerned with muscle size, working out 4 times a week, doing specific lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, olympic lifts, other multi limbed exercises) with reps and sets a couple times a week, will increase your size without much of a plan at all if you are a beginner. If you want to get farther than that, this probably is not the place to be. Everyone here probably has preconcieved notions of exercise and working out, and they'll all give their workout plans that work for them specifically, but that doesn't mean it'll work for you.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

[QUOTE="awesomeface"]All you really need is dumbbells (which can be pricey), Storm_Marine

dumbells are pretty much for girls

They're good if you want to make sure each muscle is lifting the same weight. When you do a barbell, there's one arm doing more than the other (at least in the beginning).
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

insanity is pretty tough.. finished it a few weeks ago. decent results.. 5k time dropped without doing other training. you can hurt your knees if you're not careful since there is a lot of jumping involved... it'll get you in much better shape cardiovascularly but but p90x will probably build more muscle overall. depends on your overall goals.

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dodgerblue13

I hope you're kidding, because you're wrong. Endurance training (cardio) inhibits power increase in humans when trying to increase both measures. You might want to do your research. Also electric scales use a blackbox equation and it measures fat mass, not muscle mass. More cardio is detrimental to muscle mass increase. Now if we are talking about the positive beneficial effects of cardio, there are plenty of reasons why it should be incorporated in a workout routine, but you are wrong on almost everything you just stated, hoepefully that was a joke post.

TC if you want to be healthier, working out 6 days a week 3 with cardio, and 3 with lifting will do wonders for your physical appearance and health. If you are more concerned with muscle size, working out 4 times a week, doing specific lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, olympic lifts, other multi limbed exercises) with reps and sets a couple times a week, will increase your size without much of a plan at all if you are a beginner. If you want to get farther than that, this probably is not the place to be. Everyone here probably has preconcieved notions of exercise and working out, and they'll all give their workout plans that work for them specifically, but that doesn't mean it'll work for you.

Zlurodirom
I agree with every bit of this (except I don't think O-lifts are useful for size compared to the big four [deads, squat, standing overhead press, and bench press] but that's my opinion). Your goals matter most, and you need to know them in order to create a worthwhile plan.
Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

[QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]

dodgerblue13

I agree with every bit of this (except I don't think O-lifts are useful for size compared to the big four [deads, squat, standing overhead press, and bench press] but that's my opinion). Your goals matter most, and you need to know them in order to create a worthwhile plan.

I threw Olympic lifts in for variety. I think they are helpful with power output, and can provide a change in pace, but if someone is looking for size only, they wouldn't necessarily need them (who knows though, I haven't ever seen an article comparing power lifting to olympic lifting). I agree that goals are very important (formulating the workout regimen, motivation, etc).

Avatar image for deactivated-59913425220eb
deactivated-59913425220eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59913425220eb
Member since 2002 • 1772 Posts
lift weights. Body building. and eat eat eat.
Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Phaze-Two
Member since 2009 • 3444 Posts

stronglifts 5*5 for skinny guys trying to gain muscle

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

None of those. Go to Walmart, spend 30-40 bucks of some weights and do your work outs at home. You don't need a bunch of fancy equipment at a gym or an expensive program to work out. You can do push ups, crunches, squats, arm curls, etc, all in the comfort of your own home. Saves you a ton of money too. Just figure out what muscles you want to work out, then do the appropriate excercise.

Lance2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 Lance2500
Member since 2009 • 680 Posts

Nutrition, you've got to learn the nutrition and follow it right. You can be doing the best workouts in the world, but if your diet is bad you will be held back.

Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

Whichever one you will stick with and not abandon after a few days.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
Most people are telling you just to lift, but a big part of gaining muscle is eating right. You need alot of protein if you want to gain muscle. Eating right is probably the most important part of it.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Don't eat too much protein all at once. Space it out throughout the day. Your body is only going to use so much of it at once

The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts

Don't eat too much protein all at once. Space it out throughout the day. Your body is only going to use so much of it at once

whiskeystrike
False. Dodgerblue, I believe you could explain this one. And lol at P90x for muscle gain, dafaq am i reading?
Avatar image for 0mega3FattyAcid
0mega3FattyAcid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 0mega3FattyAcid
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

The_Zoid

False. Dodgerblue, I believe you could explain this one. And lol at P90x for muscle gain, dafaq am i reading?

He's got it right. The body can only utilize about 50 grams of protein in one sitting...so anything over that will be a waste. Never go out and buy 60+ gram power bars or drinks. A total waste.

As for gaining weight and muscle, nutrition is a whopping 85% of your goal...no matter what your goal is. Since you are skinny, you need to take in more calories that you consume. That's it. No magic formula. The opposite goes for if you are trying to lose weight.

Get a gym membership and a personal trainer. A good trainer will assess your body weaknesses, strengthen any imbalances and help you with the range of motion for all exercises. All you really need is a set of dumbells from 5 lbs to 50 (for your situation) and you can work out literally every muscle in your body.

Most important thing ever that you should remember; it's not about how much you lift, it's how you lift. Posture and range of motion is one of the most important things in weightlifting. Also, don't work out too much...especially early off. Rest is just as important as working out. Your body needs time to recoup, 3 days a week is perfect for your situation.

ferrari_102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ferrari_102
Member since 2009 • 629 Posts

Insanity for sure. After five days, my mile time came down by a minute. But when you start, it may seem hard so don't try to do it like they do, that is not good and dangerous. Do it gradually and build up. Interval training - do intense exercise then you let your heartbeat come back down, that's what Insanity is all about. However, during the "intense" interval, don't go as intense as the people in the video do. I lost ten pounds in three weeks

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
There is a lot of information to go with that. I recommend exhaustive googling and picking up a few good books about nutrition/bodybuilding. To get you started, first you need a small calorie surplus (consume more energy than your body uses), based on a healthy and balanced diet high on lean protein (skinless chicken, tuna, 30%) and natural complex carbohydrates (oats, veges, 50%), and a small amount of essential fat (from avocado, nuts, fish oil, 20%). Google for maintenance calories, calculate yours, and add a small surplus on top of the maintenance. Next you need to do strength training. Lift weights, etc. There are plenty of resources on that. A fully equipped gym offers an efficient and complete workout for all the muscles you want to work on. It's definitely your best bet. If you find that too expensive, a good pair of dumbbells should carry you for awhile. There is no magical program that works for everyone.Depending on your genes, building mass may be especially difficult for you, so hardwork and consistency is the only way. 90 days won't change you forever. You will have to be willing to change your lifestyle if you want change and stay changed.
The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Zoid"][QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

0mega3FattyAcid

He's got it right. The body can only utilize about 50 grams of protein in one sitting...so anything over that will be a waste. Never go out and buy 60+ gram power bars or drinks. A total waste.

As for gaining weight and muscle, nutrition is a whopping 85% of your goal...no matter what your goal is. Since you are skinny, you need to take in more calories that you consume. That's it. No magic formula. The opposite goes for if you are trying to lose weight.

Get a gym membership and a personal trainer. A good trainer will assess your body weaknesses, strengthen any imbalances and help you with the range of motion for all exercises. All you really need is a set of dumbells from 5 lbs to 50 (for your situation) and you can work out literally every muscle in your body.

Most important thing ever that you should remember; it's not about how much you lift, it's how you lift. Posture and range of motion is one of the most important things in weightlifting. Also, don't work out too much...especially early off. Rest is just as important as working out. Your body needs time to recoup, 3 days a week is perfect for your situation.

Lol. Go back to 2003 with your myths plz. Lemme guess....saturated fat is bad and I should slam whey and waximaize for the anabrolic window too right? http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/ You want studies, they're cited.
PurpleSmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 PurpleSmile
Member since 2010 • 1068 Posts
P90x works for my fat friend. he does the program for like 2 yrs and now he's like a totally different person. But if you're skinny I'd recommend you just stick to the gym program and drink some protein shakes then when you gain some weight, try some other programs for the ripped muscle. that's what I did. goodluck
lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
steroids help. i aint even joking
0mega3FattyAcid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 0mega3FattyAcid

[QUOTE="0mega3FattyAcid"]

[QUOTE="The_Zoid"]False. Dodgerblue, I believe you could explain this one. And lol at P90x for muscle gain, dafaq am i reading?The_Zoid

Lol. Go back to 2003 with your myths plz. Lemme guess....saturated fat is bad and I should slam whey and waximaize for the anabrolic window too right? http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/ You want studies, they're cited.

goddamnit, you're right. I forgot that everything on the internet is true. It is past 2003 and some random guy's blog take the place of 4 years of kinesiology studies and multiple training and nutrition certifications. I'm sorry, who are you again?

0mega3FattyAcid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 0mega3FattyAcid

funny thing too, Ziod, I just finished reading your story and realize the author and I share some of the same credentials.

notsoawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 notsoawesome
Member since 2011 • 629 Posts

p90x is known as a workout for cutting, not bulking. If you look around the web you'll find skinny guys who follow through the whole program have surprisingly small gains. And remember diet and rest are a huge part to get where you want to.

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dodgerblue13
[QUOTE="The_Zoid"]0mega3FattyAcid

You're both right in some way. Now, I don't have one of them fancy certificates, but I intend to head to grad school next fall to study nutrition, and nutrition is becoming one of my most cherished hobbies. That being said, I'll say what I know. Protein absorption is a lengthy process, and it takes at least three hours depending on a variety of factors (especially with what else the protein is consumed and when it is consumed). It seems that everything you've eaten is out of your stomach and small intestine within five hours, but most of it is gone in three hours. So now it seems logical to try to pinpoint how much protein we can absorb in those three to five hours while the food is being digested. Per UCLA, it's roughly five or six grams per hour. This means that, consistent with 0mega3's post, roughly 30 grams (certainly less than 50) of that protein is basically guaranteed to be absorbed. But does it matter what type of protein it is? Well, yes. Per Lyle McDonald, different protein types have vastly different digestion rates. Lyle, in a follow-up post, adds that whole food protein can take over six hours to digest. So, 0mega3 seems to be right regarding "one sitting" in the traditional sense of how long, generally, it takes to digest protein. However, not all protein is digested that quickly, and not all protein is created equally. So it will take longer than that "one sitting." However, protein in excess of 50 grams can be absorbed six-plus hours after eating, but it depends on what type of protein it is. Chugging 50 grams of whey protein (usually two scoops since powders with which I'm familiar range from 20-25 grams excluding mass gainers) without any food would prove wasteful. However, that whey combined with slow-digesting green veggies could in fact be entirely absorbed. The variables are why nobody is certain and why this argument can take place. Because this post is getting rather lengthy, I'll post it and follow up subsequently.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KiIIyou
It's not rocket surgery, just eat the dang fude.
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dodgerblue13
Assuming what I've already discussed (which is purposefully general because of how varied the process can be) is true, it might seem that consuming excess of 50 grams of protein in one meal would be near the brink of being wasteful. However, it must then be considered for what reason the protein is being consumed. That is to say, should we eat only to the extent that we can absorb? Is it stupid to eat a pound of chicken in one sitting (roughly 750 calories and 140 grams of protein) for fear of wasting the protein? It all depends on who you are and why you're eating. Say you're trying to lose fat and retain muscle, so you eat two meals per day spaced out by eight hours: one pound of chicken (~1500 kcal, ~ 280 P) and a plate full of spinach each time. Eight hours after your first meal, everything is likely to be digested. You probably absorbed 80-or-so grams of protein because of the help of the spinach and the long digestion process of the chiken and maybe "wasted" 60 grams. So what happens to that "wasted" protein? Fat? Waste? For it to turn to fat, it would have to be turned to glucose, which is unlikely. Rather, protein in the body stimulates cholecystokinin (CCK) which aids in the delay of digestion. This indicates how and why the presence of protein can be absorbed much later than it is consumed. This is also aids in satiation, making us feel fuller and aiding in that theoretical weight loss. If eventually it's not used (as energy or absorbed), it will be wasted, so 0mega3 is correct there. What would be the alternative? Getting calories from the other macronutrients: fat and carbohydrates. These are, generally, more easily converted to fat and stored for energy. So, although we may not absorb every bit of the protein we take in, an excess will stave off hunger and help combat excess fat (energy) being stored in our systems. 0mega3 is correct that if we want to ABSORB all of the protein, it is safest and most sensible to space out the protein consumption. The_Zoid is correct that we can absorb more than 50 grams of protein from one meal, depending on from where the protein comes. One final bit of information before I conclude: it's widely accepted that roughtly 0.81 g/kg of protein is necessary/ideal for a person to absorb per day. An excess is, in a sense, wasteful, but an excess also can prove beneficial if we can, through the right variables and supplementary macronutrients, prolong the digestion process and eat it to stay satiated and help reduce the urge to eat and the storing of fat. This concludes my portion of this. Again, I'm just some guy with a rudimentary understanding of all of this, but I try to learn and be fair because, if I'm going to learn, I try to learn what's right. Good day to you both.
0mega3FattyAcid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 0mega3FattyAcid

Assuming what I've already discussed (which is purposefully general because of how varied the process can be) is true, it might seem that consuming excess of 50 grams of protein in one meal would be near the brink of being wasteful. However, it must then be considered for what reason the protein is being consumed. That is to say, should we eat only to the extent that we can absorb? Is it stupid to eat a pound of chicken in one sitting (roughly 750 calories and 140 grams of protein) for fear of wasting the protein? It all depends on who you are and why you're eating. Say you're trying to lose fat and retain muscle, so you eat two meals per day spaced out by eight hours: one pound of chicken (~1500 kcal, ~ 280 P) and a plate full of spinach each time. Eight hours after your first meal, everything is likely to be digested. You probably absorbed 80-or-so grams of protein because of the help of the spinach and the long digestion process of the chiken and maybe "wasted" 60 grams. So what happens to that "wasted" protein? Fat? Waste? For it to turn to fat, it would have to be turned to glucose, which is unlikely. Rather, protein in the body stimulates cholecystokinin (CCK) which aids in the delay of digestion. This indicates how and why the presence of protein can be absorbed much later than it is consumed. This is also aids in satiation, making us feel fuller and aiding in that theoretical weight loss. If eventually it's not used (as energy or absorbed), it will be wasted, so 0mega3 is correct there. What would be the alternative? Getting calories from the other macronutrients: fat and carbohydrates. These are, generally, more easily converted to fat and stored for energy. So, although we may not absorb every bit of the protein we take in, an excess will stave off hunger and help combat excess fat (energy) being stored in our systems. 0mega3 is correct that if we want to ABSORB all of the protein, it is safest and most sensible to space out the protein consumption. The_Zoid is correct that we can absorb more than 50 grams of protein from one meal, depending on from where the protein comes. One final bit of information before I conclude: it's widely accepted that roughtly 0.81 g/kg of protein is necessary/ideal for a person to absorb per day. An excess is, in a sense, wasteful, but an excess also can prove beneficial if we can, through the right variables and supplementary macronutrients, prolong the digestion process and eat it to stay satiated and help reduce the urge to eat and the storing of fat. This concludes my portion of this. Again, I'm just some guy with a rudimentary understanding of all of this, but I try to learn and be fair because, if I'm going to learn, I try to learn what's right. Good day to you both.dodgerblue13

Very nice. Actually, both are good reads from you and Zoid