• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FroMZeRo2HeRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FroMZeRo2HeRO
Member since 2008 • 720 Posts

I was at the mall one weekend when i noticed this little oriental shop and they were selling katanas, so i bought one all black, it was a replica from the movie "The Last Samurai" for thirty dollars, i was very excited cause i had always wanted a sword. Three days later i was swinging it as hard as i could and it broke! the handle came ajar, and the blade was wobbly. So after going from owning a sword to not being able to use it, i quickly wanted another well made one, so i went over to weaponmasters.com and purchased the 1st gen. black katana (was on flash sale, paid forty-five all together) and couple days later recieved it, and boy was i impressed waaay better and nicer! It feels so sturdy and has better weight to it then my old one. I plan to purchase a sharpner to make it razor sharp, and cut threw some stuff! Im very happy with it, i plan to buy maybe another more expensive one some time in the future, but for now im satisfied.

Anybody own any weapons and would like to share, i'd like to here what you own!

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts
Oh, I'd post a pic of this cool decorative dagger and these "arabian" ish ones we've got but, I can't use the camera right now, maybe if the thread is alive later I'll have better luck.
smack_masta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 smack_masta
Member since 2006 • 2748 Posts
Sweet, now go kill bill!
Vilot_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vilot_Hero
Member since 2008 • 4522 Posts
I have a machete somewhere.
Avatar image for gorilazandgames
gorilazandgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gorilazandgames
Member since 2006 • 7937 Posts
Oh, I'd post a pic of this cool decorative dagger and these "arabian" ish ones we've got but, I can't use the camera right now, maybe if the thread is alive later I'll have better luck.ElArab
arabic daggers? or arabic swords aka scimitars?
Avatar image for SempiternalFett
SempiternalFett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SempiternalFett
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
Sweet, now go kill bill!smack_masta

I don't think you can buy real Hanzo swords online.
Scarface_tm431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Scarface_tm431
Member since 2004 • 10063 Posts
You should make a video of you chopping various fruits with it. Start off big with watermelon and cantalope, and by the end be down to lemons, lime, etc...
FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts
I have a katana from Japan, 2 butterfly swords, a Japanese officer's dress sword from the Ruso-Japanese war, and my grandfather just gave me 2 fencing swords. Believe it or not, every single one of them is dull :x, but I have a machette that's sharp enough plus about 8 pocket knives. Interestingly enough all of them but one are in my bedroom. :P
FroMZeRo2HeRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FroMZeRo2HeRO

You should make a video of you chopping various fruits with it. Start off big with watermelon and cantalope, and by the end be down to lemons, lime, etc...Scarface_tm431

Im defitnetly buying a watermelon or two thats for sure!

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

[QUOTE="ElArab"]Oh, I'd post a pic of this cool decorative dagger and these "arabian" ish ones we've got but, I can't use the camera right now, maybe if the thread is alive later I'll have better luck.gorilazandgames

Yeah, basically tiny scimitars with like, camel bone sheaths and "arab-ish" decorations on them.

a Japanese officer's dress sword from the Ruso-Japanese warFlaminDeath

That's freaking amazing! I also saw this Nazi officer sword that was amazing, but, it's got a swastika on it so I can't post a pic of it here, and if I censored it, it wouln't look right.

dooly420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dooly420
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
it's a shame it's pressed steel.
smack_masta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 smack_masta
Member since 2006 • 2748 Posts
Have a friend drive you down the neighbourhood and chop down mail boxes.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

it's a shame it's pressed steel.dooly420

Well Katanas are quite brittle, even by today's metal working technologies..

Kikouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 Kikouken
Member since 2006 • 15913 Posts

Nice ^_^ Katana's are cool. I also have one myself. I have a few weapons, like a Kubotan, a Japanese Bo and Korean nunchakus.

FroMZeRo2HeRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FroMZeRo2HeRO

Have a friend drive you down the neighbourhood and chop down mail boxes. smack_masta

I live in the suberb of NYC, we dont have those kind of things, but i know what you mean they have that setup upstate.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts

[QUOTE="dooly420"]it's a shame it's pressed steel.sSubZerOo

A thirty dollar one maybe. But not a good one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="dooly420"]it's a shame it's pressed steel.Frattracide

Well I can't say for the newer ones.. But the original Katanas were extremely brittle and were not prone to bend like the medieval swords.. Not to mention they didn't have the best metal as well.. Katanas are cool and all, but I think people due to animes and movies overblow it.. It was never ment for sword to sword combat nor for confrontrations against plated mail.

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts
I have a toy lightsabre... it glows!... >_>
FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts

[QUOTE="gorilazandgames"][QUOTE="ElArab"]Oh, I'd post a pic of this cool decorative dagger and these "arabian" ish ones we've got but, I can't use the camera right now, maybe if the thread is alive later I'll have better luck.ElArab

Yeah, basically tiny scimitars with like, camel bone sheaths and "arab-ish" decorations on them.

a Japanese officer's dress sword from the Ruso-Japanese warFlaminDeath

That's freaking amazing! I also saw this Nazi officer sword that was amazing, but, it's got a swastika on it so I can't post a pic of it here, and if I censored it, it wouln't look right.

Yea, I got it from my other grandfather who fought during WW2, spoils of war :D, I'd post a pic of it here, but I don't have a working camera.
JCblueside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JCblueside
Member since 2005 • 14529 Posts

Katanas arent brittle, at least for genuine ones ofcourse cause they are both flexible and hard. Both edges including the sharp edge is made out of a flexible material and the inner part of Katanas is made out of a hard material.

gasmaskman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gasmaskman
Member since 2005 • 3463 Posts
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="dooly420"]it's a shame it's pressed steel.Frattracide

Only when it's made legitimately.

JCblueside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JCblueside

I was at the mall one weekend when i noticed this little oriental shop and they were selling katanas, so i bought one all black, it was a replica from the movie "The Last Samurai" for thirty dollars, i was very excited cause i had always wanted a sword. Three days later i was swinging it as hard as i could and it broke! the handle came ajar, and the blade was wobbly. So after going from owning a sword to not being able to use it, i quickly wanted another well made one, so i went over to weaponmasters.com and purchased the 1st gen. black katana (was on flash sale, paid forty-five all together) and couple days later recieved it, and boy was i impressed waaay better and nicer! It feels so sturdy and has better weight to it then my old one. I plan to purchase a sharpner to make it razor sharp, and cut threw some stuff! Im very happy with it, i plan to buy maybe another more expensive one some time in the future, but for now im satisfied.

FroMZeRo2HeRO

Enjoy your hobby but handle with care. :)

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts
I have a machete somewhere.Vilot_Hero
Same here. Pretty cool but its a bit rusted. This oriental store near my house used to sell these 2 awesome swords that had this awesome design. But for about $150, stuff that. I might buy one soon.
dooly420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dooly420
[QUOTE="Frattracide"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Well I can't say for the newer ones.. But the original Katanas were extremely brittle and were not prone to bend like the medieval swords.. Not to mention they didn't have the best metal as well.. Katanas are cool and all, but I think people due to animes and movies overblow it.. It was never ment for sword to sword combat nor for confrontrations against plated mail.

as far as i know, katanas have always been made using folded steel. that makes the sword a lot stronger.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="Frattracide"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="dooly420"]it's a shame it's pressed steel.dooly420

as far as i know, katanas have always been made using folded steel. that makes the sword a lot stronger.

Thats a misnomer :roll: it doesn't make the sword stronger.. The reason why the Japanese did it, was because it took out impurities from the iron sources they had..

Also Katanas are highly over dramatized in hollywood and anime.. Take for instance most swords like Katana you usually never saw sword to sword contact.. Because this more times then not damaged the blade by chipping it due to how hard the edges are.

dooly420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dooly420
[QUOTE="dooly420"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="Frattracide"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Thats a misnomer :roll: it doesn't make the sword stronger.. The reason why the Japanese did it, was because it took out impurities from the iron sources they had..

Also Katanas are highly over dramatized in hollywood and anime.. Take for instance most swords like Katana you usually never saw sword to sword contact.. Because this more times then not damaged the blade by chipping it due to how hard the edges are.

they've been making actual katanas the same way since katanas started getting made.
JCblueside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JCblueside
[QUOTE="Frattracide"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

:| Wow, your beliefs are opposite from the fact or truth. Like I said few posts ago in this thread, Katanas are made with flexible material on the edges and hard material in the inner part of the blade, the inner part of Katanas are steel & the outer one along the edges I forgot the material name but it was a ductile metal. This combination of 2 metals make Katanas hard but also flexible. It has been done like that ever since the first time it was produced. You can't argue with me cause I've seen that fact in National Geographic Channel's documentary of Katanas and its history. Infact they even compared it to western swords and weapons, the result? Katanas are more versatile.

HERE is my proof for that, go and watch it if you like.

Avatar image for gorilazandgames
gorilazandgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gorilazandgames
Member since 2006 • 7937 Posts
Sweet, now go kill bill!smack_masta
you're my hero for referencing Kill Bill. :)
FroMZeRo2HeRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FroMZeRo2HeRO

gasmaskman:Only when it's made legitimately.

I just watched all 5 episodes, i feel very educated about the japenese katana! I hate to be a test subject lol, I'd loved to have a hand-crafted sword from Japan.I'd defitnetly like to learn some sword techinques and pratice, Good find.

filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 filiwian
Member since 2007 • 2232 Posts
Don't have any weapons.
SkyFlakez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SkyFlakez
Member since 2008 • 781 Posts

FroMZeRo2HeRO

what are you a ninja wanna be?

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
I don't think decorative katanas should be used for things like that...
nightshade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nightshade85
Member since 2004 • 5654 Posts

I keep a wooden tonfa below my drivers seat for self protection - the only thing I use it for is hitting mud/ice out from inside the wheel well

I swords, but they are all decorative - I don't own any real nice ones

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#34 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

I only have a 5-iron with electrical tape on the clubbing end.

:(

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

I had a pair of large, well made sais that I actually know how to use properly.

My brother uses them now.

They were definitely really cool weapons.

crazygamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 crazygamer1
Member since 2003 • 845 Posts

http://cheaperthandirt.com/swords_bcjf.htm

A few different choices of katanas on this site ranging from replica to handmade katanas. The site has a nice selection of plenty of other handheld weapons as well...check it :D

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#37 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

http://cheaperthandirt.com/swords_bcjf.htm

A few different choices of katanas on this site ranging from replica to handmade katanas. The site has a nice selection of plenty of other handheld weapons as well...check it :D

crazygamer1

I also noticed they have a nazi sword. I lulzed. XD

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
I got a chainsaw in my shed, does that count?
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
Cool. I've always wanted some cool swords.
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts
dont got a katana but gota mechete:D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="Frattracide"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="dooly420"]it's a shame it's pressed steel.JCblueside

:| Wow, your beliefs are opposite from the fact or truth. Like I said few posts ago in this thread, Katanas are made with flexible material on the edges and hard material in the inner part of the blade, the inner part of Katanas are steel & the outer one along the edges I forgot the material name but it was a ductile metal. This combination of 2 metals make Katanas hard but also flexible. It has been done like that ever since the first time it was produced. You can't argue with me cause I've seen that fact in National Geographic Channel's documentary of Katanas and its history. Infact they even compared it to western swords and weapons, the result? Katanas are more versatile.

HERE is my proof for that, go and watch it if you like.

Two different cultures.. For instance Katanas weren't used in open warfare on the battle field.. And my point still stands, most sword to sword contact was AVOIDED because it ended up damaging the sword by chipping it due to how hard the edges are...

I am by no means saying the sword isn't sharp I am just saying that Katana's are overblown in the idea of what people thought they were.. As I said earlier too much hollywood and animes have warped the perception that Katanas are some how super fast, super sharp and unbreakable.. When I pointed out thats not the case.

This only goes further when people think that Samurai were some super warriors that european knights were inferior to them in all ways.. When that just simply is not true..

Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts
I got a boomerang. 8)
xSIZEMATTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 xSIZEMATTER
Member since 2008 • 7045 Posts
oh yeah! Well I have a Broomstick :o
Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts

I own a hand crafted katana. The blade is sharp like a razor blade, but it's not meant to be used to cut stuff. It's just sitting above my fireplace.

Also have a wakizashi, tan-to, Jutte, kama, 2 sai and some shuriken. Yeah i'm some kind of ninja :lol:

Avatar image for the_foreign_guy
the_foreign_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 the_foreign_guy
Member since 2005 • 22657 Posts

Katanas are pretty cool. I plan to have a sword collection when I have enough money. They're so beautiful.

Katanas are good for slicing unarmored foes, but if they have armor on like in the medieval times...Nevertheless, I love them.

andrucks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 andrucks
Member since 2005 • 332 Posts

a true hand crafted katana costs about 600$ +++ the most expensive I've sen costs 12k usd.

that's the Price you have to pay to get a usable handcrafted masterpiece.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
Well I have a double-edged wood axe, two machetes ($20 at Lowe's), and some axe handles, Pale Rider style.
Avatar image for the_foreign_guy
the_foreign_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 the_foreign_guy
Member since 2005 • 22657 Posts

a true hand crafted katana costs about 600$ +++ the most expensive I've sen costs 12k usd.

that's the Price you have to pay to get a usable handcrafted masterpiece.

andrucks

Apparently prices can go as high as $100,000. :o

SaintBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SaintBlaze
Member since 2007 • 7736 Posts
I gots me a baseball bat. :D