Frontline PBS Documentary on the Real North Korea

This topic is locked from further discussion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Video Link

PBS is airing a documentary on January the 14th, but you can watch it online, now. It shows poverty masked by an illusion. This video of North Korea as it actually is offers a look into the systemic deception the citizens of that nation are subjected to, but have begun to speak out from within.

To those who watched it:

What is your view on this?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Video isn't working.

We all know what North Korea is doing. Maybe someday the world will grow a pair and start to do something about these rogue nations.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@airshocker said:

Video isn't working.

We all know what North Korea is doing. Maybe someday the world will grow a pair and start to do something about these rogue nations.

What would you have the world do then?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@deeliman said:

@airshocker said:

Video isn't working.

What would you have the world do then?

Depose that monstrous regime.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

I actually saw a documentary a couple of days ago about North and South Korea (more so about South Korea btw).

It showed that schools in Seoul are teaching (and preparing) the children for a time that North and South are reunited again and what it would mean to have millions of low educated people extra suddenly in one bigger country. It was quite interesting to see.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@killerfist said:

I actually saw a documentary a couple of days ago about North and South Korea (more so about South Korea btw).

It showed that schools in Seoul are teaching (and preparing) the children for a time that North and South are reunited again and what it would mean to have millions of low educated people extra suddenly in one bigger country. It was quite interesting to see.

The link TC provided wouldn't let me view the movie due to it being unavailable in my country and whatnot. I searched torrent sites to no avail either. Did you happen to catch the name of the documentary you watched? I came to this topic decided on watching a documentary on NK and the description you provided sounds intriguing while TC's movie sounds biased and a bashing-fest anyway so I'm not heart-stricken over its unavailability.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@killerfist said:

The link TC provided wouldn't let me view the movie due to it being unavailable in my country and whatnot. I searched torrent sites to no avail either. Did you happen to catch the name of the documentary you watched? I came to this topic decided on watching a documentary on NK and the description you provided sounds intriguing while TC's movie sounds biased and a bashing-fest anyway so I'm not heart-stricken over its unavailability.

The documentary I watched was on tv here on a channel that is only available for me this month. Like a preview channel. It was rather short, like 45 mins and it's in dutch.

If you're still interested then I'll have a look. I don't know the name anymore, but was a part of a series.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By branketra

The PBS video may only be available for Americans.

@GazaAli said:

@killerfist said:

It might seem biased to you because you have not watched it and listened to current, and former North Korean citizens talk about their own country.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

At least they wont have to worry about the electricity bill.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

NK has been getting a lot of attention lately. I wonder what the war enterprise is up to...

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#11 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Are they suggesting the one before wasn't real? I knew it.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@killerfist said:

Go to Unblockus, set up an account, and follow the instructions. You can use it for a week without having to provide a credit card number and it changes your IP so it will look like you're in the U.S. so you can watch the video without needing a VPN.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GazaAli

@ad1x2 said:

@GazaAli said:

@killerfist said:

Go to Unblockus, set up an account, and follow the instructions. You can use it for a week without having to provide a credit card number and it changes your IP so it will look like you're in the U.S. so you can watch the video without needing a VPN.

Thanks for going into the trouble of trying to help, much appreciated :)

I mainly use Hotspot Shield proxy when I absolutely need to access an otherwise blocked website or get to something that has been made unavailable to my country of residence. Its a little bit of a hassle but it gets the job done.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GazaAli

@BranKetra said:

@GazaAli said:

It might seem biased to you because you have not watched it and listened to current, and former North Korean citizens talk about their own country.

Its not really a secret that the populace of NK has been made to suffer under the rule of a demented regime for far too long. I guess it goes to show the hypocrisy of international politics and the bankruptcy of the grandiose and duplicitous pretenses used by some to justify certain actions and sell malicious and belligerent foreign and security policies and advances. So again its not really a matter of the authenticity or integrity of the contents of the movie; these are well-established facts. That being said, it makes a difference how you convey the same message and portray actual facts. You can do it in a journalistic way or in a bashing-fest, painfully-biased and partisan way. I can't watch the latter it feels stupefying.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

imperialist lies

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#16 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@killerfist said:

Try using "Hola" to change your location to somewhere that can watch the video.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Notwithstanding the Holocaust-emulating mass-murder of a third of its civilian population by the Nazi-emulating United States of America, and notwithstanding more than a half century of spiteful economic sanctions and isolation, North Korea has acquired a nuclear-weapons capability and was even able to launch an orbital rocket before the US-financed client-state of "South Korea" did.

North Koreans are astonishingly accomplished people.

They're also a people who have suffered the depredations of American imperialism more grievously than almost any other nation on Earth.

It's no wonder most Americans hate North Korea. People hate what they fear.

As for the "documentary": It says more about its producers than it does about its subject. It's further evidence of the moral cowardice of people who would sooner slander the victims of their fathers' atrocities than acknowledge those atrocities.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Stesilaus: lmao 10/10

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thebest31406

@Aljosa23 said:

Indeed.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@thebest31406 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Indeed.

Jokes aside, there are people-western educated ones even-who wholeheartedly believe that North Korea's regime is misunderstood and oppressed.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thebest31406

@Storm_Marine said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Indeed.

Jokes aside, there are people-western educated ones even-who wholeheartedly believe that North Korea's regime is misunderstood and oppressed.

Well I happen to believe that too. So?

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@thebest31406 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Indeed.

Well you've proven yourself time and time again to be few fries short of a happy meal.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Indeed.

Well you've proven yourself time and time again to be few fries short of a happy meal.

Or perhaps he's just more well-read and better-informed than most?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By branketra

@GazaAli said:

@BranKetra said:

@GazaAli said:

Its not really a secret that the populace of NK has been made to suffer under the rule of a demented regime for far too long. I guess it goes to show the hypocrisy of international politics and the bankruptcy of the grandiose and duplicitous pretenses used by some to justify certain actions and sell malicious and belligerent foreign and security policies and advances. So again its not really a matter of the authenticity or integrity of the contents of the movie; these are well-established facts. That being said, it makes a difference how you convey the same message and portray actual facts. You can do it in a journalistic way or in a bashing-fest, painfully-biased and partisan way. I can't watch the latter it feels stupefying.

What I am saying is similar to what the citizens of North Korea are while they are inside that country in public and private. I do not understand the issue with me doing so. It is a fact that the regime enforces an illusion on its people and it is a fact that more North Koreans are beginning to see the truth. Are you calling the citizens of North Korea bashing, "painfully-biased and partisan?"

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MakeMeaSammitch

@Stesilaus said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Indeed.

i don't think he even graduated high school.

His whole defense of Brown has shown that he's both racist and not too bright.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thebest31406

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@Stesilaus said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Indeed.

i don't think he even graduated high school.

His whole defense of Brown has shown that he's both racist and not too bright.

I get the feeling you don't like me much...

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By branketra

@MakeMeaSammitch: Please stop insulting the intelligence of other users. It is not constructive whatsoever. We do not need that.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch

@BranKetra said:

@MakeMeaSammitch: Please stop insulting the intelligence of other users. It is not constructive whatsoever. We do not need that.

He said he says N. Korea is just misunderstood.

Do you really think arguing with him will have any impact or is it reasonable to think hes beyond help (IQ)?

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thebest31406

@BranKetra said:

That's fine. I believe he's genuinely ignorant - to put it charitably. Which is why I'm far more passive with him then I am with other users...

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@killerfist said:

i honestly don't think there is anything about the current North Koean regime that is defendable.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thebest31406
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@BranKetra said:

He said he says N. Korea is just misunderstood.

Do you really think arguing with him will have any impact or is it reasonable to think hes beyond help (IQ)?

Actually, I just realized that I misread his sentence. I thought I read there are people-western educated ones even-who wholeheartedly believe that North Korea is misunderstood and oppressed. Completely ignored the term 'regime'. I interpreted his statement as "the people of North Korea" rather than "the regime of North Korea". Still, that's no excuse for your behavior, young man.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Stesilaus said:

Notwithstanding the Holocaust-emulating mass-murder of a third of its civilian population by the Nazi-emulating United States of America, and notwithstanding more than a half century of spiteful economic sanctions and isolation, North Korea has acquired a nuclear-weapons capability and was even able to launch an orbital rocket before the US-financed client-state of "South Korea" did.

They're also a people who have suffered the depredations of American imperialism more grievously than almost any other nation on Earth.

As for the "documentary": It says more about its producers than it does about its subject. It's further evidence of the moral cowardice of people who would sooner slander the victims of their fathers' atrocities than acknowledge those atrocities.

What's sad is this sounds like it was quoted directly from North Korean school textbooks.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Stesilaus said:

What's sad is this sounds like it was quoted directly from North Korean school textbooks.

If he's being serious, that's even worse.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By branketra

@thebest31406: @MakeMeaSammitch: Arguing and insulting each are both counterproductive. I say if you are unable to agree, talk with someone who you would agree with.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Watching it right now. How anyone can defend the North Korean regime is beyond ridiculous.

It's so oppressive in North Korea, that the North Koreans think the Chinese have freedom of speech. That's dreadfully hilarious. It's around the 42-45 minute mark if you're curious.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Thanks, watching it right now. Very good documentary. I watch years back a special about people smuggling in footage in and out of the country. Haven't seen much in that regard recently as most documentaries of late seem to involve people who visit the country under the limitations and controls of state sponsored tourism. I find this smuggled footage much more compelling though. I find it very interesting the risks people will take to watch foreign movies and how they respond to them, it's saddening... well, when it comes to North Korea a lot is saddening. I hope I will one day live to see an end to North Korean dictatorships and a unified Korea.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GazaAli

@BranKetra said:

@GazaAli said:

@BranKetra said:

@GazaAli said:

What I am saying is similar to what the citizens of North Korea are while they are inside that country in public and private. I do not understand the issue with me doing so. It is a fact that the regime enforces an illusion on its people and it is a fact that more North Koreans are beginning to see the truth. Are you calling the citizens of North Korea bashing, "painfully-biased and partisan?"

I wasn't addressing you with that post but whoever made that documentary, which you reported a summary of its narrative and contents in the OP. I already said that I don't have a beef with such an account of the NK regime and the suffering of the population under such a rule. What I'm voicing my discontent with is the narrative of the documentary. I just happen to prefer more balanced and level-headed journalistic narrative. Even if the issue being examined and portrayed in a documentary or any other medium affects me personally I wouldn't put up with such a narrative even if its in my favor. Its just too skewed to be taken seriously; it devalues and discredits itself right away.

@VaguelyTagged addressed to you as well.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#38  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts