Former NSA employee Edward Snowden accused of compromising identities of British spies. Should he be punished for his actions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By ad1x2

Poll Former NSA employee Edward Snowden accused of compromising identities of British spies. Should he be punished for his actions? (30 votes)

Yes, he should be punished for all the information he leaked. 33%
He should only be punished for information he leaked not related to the domestic metadata programs. 33%
He should get a full pardon for everything he leaked. 33%

Story.

A recent story has came out stating that the United Kingdom was forced to remove their spies from hostile countries because of reports that both China and Russia cracked the encryption on top secret files provided by Edward Snowden that showed how to identify both US and British spies operating abroad.

The story does not say that he leaked the identities of the spies themselves but what he did leak compromised their identities, making it easier for them to be identified and targeted.

Obviously, Snowden received mixed feelings in America based on what he did. One side of the country calls him a hero for revealing what was originally thought to be Verizon handing over phone data to the NSA and expanded to him revealing programs involving various companies. The other side calls him a traitor for revealing classified information to foreign newspapers.

Then you have people in the middle that are grateful for the metadata programs being exposed but are upset that he also showed how we do other things unrelated to it that compromised government workers and troops overseas. It brings the question on what kind of punishment Snowden should receive if he comes back to the US, if any at all.

What do you think? Should Snowden get a full pardon? Should he get immunity for the metadata revelations but be punished for revealing other information unrelated to it? Or should he get a full pardon for everything?

• 
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I wonder how extreme this type of thought would be applicable.

Should quantum computer architects be punished for cybersecurity breaches that would be very likely to happen if the general public were to get access them and easily decrypt the security of virtually any modern digital system?

In the same way, should a liquor store owner be charged for making it easy for an alcoholic to have access to alcohol then they go drink and drive?

Essentially, I am asking:

This seems arbitrary. What is the limit of contextual association of safety breaches that someone should be held responsible?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
@BranKetra said:

Should quantum computer architects be punished for cybersecurity breaches that would be very likely to happen if the general public were to get access them and easily decrypt the security of virtually any modern digital system?

In the same way, should a liquor store owner be charged for making it easy for an alcoholic to have access to alcohol then they go drink and drive?

This seems arbitrary. What is the limit of contextual association of safety breaches that someone should be held responsible?

I don't think that your theory would apply to Snowden in this case. He is accused of stealing classified documents that eventually made their way into the hands of foreign governments that may not have our best interests in mind. You could accuse him of negligence if he had proper courier orders to take the information from point A to point B and lost it somewhere in the middle, causing it to eventually make its way to China and Russia. But on the other hand, since he took the information illegally it doesn't matter how they got the information, fact of the matter is he's going to get slammed for the illegal possession of it in the first place since his illegal possession of the information directly led to it getting to foreign sources.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By branketra

@ad1x2 said:
@BranKetra said:

I don't think that your theory would apply to Snowden in this case. He is accused of stealing classified documents that eventually made their way into the hands of foreign governments that may not have our best interests in mind. You could accuse him of negligence if he had proper courier orders to take the information from point A to point B and lost it somewhere in the middle, causing it to eventually make its way to China and Russia. But on the other hand, since he took the information illegally it doesn't matter how they got the information, fact of the matter is he's going to get slammed for the illegal possession of it in the first place.

It can because intentions and results are not always synonymous. Consider the quantum computer architects, firstly. Let's say that they intend to advance the computing capabilities of digital technology for the sake of advancing science. When the general public has access to this technology, their might be a possibility that someone shall utilize it for nefarious purposes. However, that is not the goal of those architects. Next, the liquor store owner intends to make a sale. She has no authority over the consumer to stop her from drinking and driving specifically at the point of sale. An opposing viewpoint to this might be that if the person diseased with alcoholism announces that she is about to drink and drive then the owner has the authority to perform a citizen's arrest.

That said, I challenge how reasonable that scenario would be for someone to say something like that to a liquor store owner at the point of sale. It seems unlikely, based on the buyer's interest in getting a drink.

Applying that to this situation, Edward Snowden has made it clear to the American public that he left his homeland to protect the rights on American citizens. To insinuate that he did so to hurt American society or any other, for that matter, is contradictory to his assertion.

You do not have to believe him, or me. All I am suggesting is that we see the facts as they are rather than how we might want them as (not talking about you, specifically).

Another way of thinking about this is, how punishable is oversight?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

He should be punished. I have no sympathy for unethical individuals.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ad1x2

@BranKetra: The reason I said that it probably doesn't apply to Snowden is because the information got out not out of him being negligent while performing his duties, but because of him taking something he wasn't legally authorized to possess and it falling into the wrong hands. Government employees hand carrying classified information from one place to another will have courier orders giving them authorization to carry it and restrictions on what they can do. Without those orders you're toast if caught no matter what your intentions are.

You can't reasonably expect a storekeeper to be arrested for selling beer to someone that is legally allowed to buy it because they turned around and got a DUI while drinking it. At the same time, if Snowden was legally allowed to carry that information and he was held up at gunpoint for it we can't reasonably expect him to go to jail for losing it either in that scenario but if he intentionally hands it to someone not authorized to possess it he can get slammed.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By branketra

@ad1x2,

Here is another scenario.

If an individual is prohibited in mobility to house arrest, but goes outside one day and accidentally surprises an elderly person walking by on the same block, causing him to have a heart attack and pass away, should said individual receive additional punishment for that (specifically, a homicide conviction and appropriate sentencing)?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

sounds like they didn't have good enough encryption then.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ad1x2

@comp_atkins said:

sounds like they didn't have good enough encryption then.

While I don't know the whole story, my opinion is that Snowden decrypted the files before taking them out of the NSA since if he didn't there was no way he could have done it on his personal computer. If that is the case he wouldn't have had the same software to encrypt them again and he may have used an inferior encryption software that the Russians and Chinese had a much easier time cracking.

But that's just my opinion based on the idea that the NSA would not want to admit publicly that their strongest encryption methods (which are actually illegal for civilians in the US to possess based on the fact that it could be used for terrorist reasons) can be cracked so quickly. The best encryption methods can take years to crack using the combined processing power of millions of computers.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ad1x2

@BranKetra said:

@ad1x2,

If an individual is prohibited in mobility to house arrest, but goes outside one day and accidentally surprises an elderly person walking by on the same block, causing him to have a heart attack and pass away, should said individual receive additional punishment for that (specifically, a homicide conviction and appropriate sentencing)?

That's an interesting scenario. I can't say that I would expect a homicide conviction for that but I do know that several states have laws in the books stating that if you accidentally cause the death of a person while committing a felony you can be charged with murder even if you had no intention to kill them.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

I'm starting to sympathize with Snowden, and I believe that whistleblowers should be protected simply because there is no accountability (look up wiretapping, violations of the 4th amendment) or any competence (Operation Merlin, Lt. Col Jason Amerine) whatsoever in the intelligence community.

It's not treason to point out something unconstitutional or something that doesn't/didn't work and caused a major setback.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 branketra

@ad1x2 said:
@BranKetra said:

@ad1x2,

That's an interesting scenario. I can't say that I would expect a homicide conviction for that but I do know that several states have laws in the books stating that if you accidentally cause the death of a person while committing a felony you can be charged with murder even if you had no intention to kill them.

Okay. I understand that view, better, now.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58964 Posts
Loading Video...

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

The poll ought to include a fourth option:

• "He should be hailed as a hero for what he's done."

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ad1x2

@Stesilaus said:

The poll ought to include a fourth option:

• "He should be hailed as a hero for what he's done."

So, assuming that the story I linked is true and not government propaganda made to smear him (I'm aware that some people will come to the conclusion that it is a smear campaign made to discredit him) are you saying that it doesn't matter that the lives of those British spies may have been put in danger because of the fact that Snowden revealed the metadata programs?

Besides, I think that the third option covers haling him as a hero since a full pardon would be a fitting reward for being a whistleblower.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Has there been any solid, definitive evidence that his actions have endangered lives?

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

@BranKetra said:

@ad1x2,

You can be held for criminal negligence or manslaughter if you accidentally kill someone.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By branketra

@-TheSecondSign- said:
@BranKetra said:

@ad1x2,

You can be held for criminal negligence or manslaughter if you accidentally kill someone.

Unless I am misunderstanding this, you are saying that if someone surprises an elderly person accidentally then they can be held for criminal negligence or manslaughter as that would mean, by what you said, a person killed someone.

It seems unlikely that this would transpire, based on that logic.

-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By -TheSecondSign-

@BranKetra said:
@-TheSecondSign- said:
@BranKetra said:

@ad1x2,

Unless I am misunderstanding this, you are saying that if someone surprises an elderly person accidentally then they can be held for criminal negligence or manslaughter as that would mean, by what you said, a person killed someone.

It seems unlikely that this would transpire, based on that logic.

You can be charged for manslaughter if you accidentally kill someone. Being underneath house arrest doesn't mean you're not going to be charged with manslaughter. They will add that to whatever charge you get for violating the terms of your release. It would depend on the state/county/court system if they decided to use the accident as a reason to undergo a heavier sentencing for violation of the terms of your release. But in a black/white scenario where you are clearly responsible for this person's accidental death, you could be charged for either negligence or manslaughter, on top of whatever violation you committed leaving the home. They may not make each other heavier charges but you'd get both.

There isn't enough context to determine if that's what would happen in this particular scenario. It's kind of hard to be "logical" about a particular situation when it lacks any meaningful context.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By branketra

@-TheSecondSign- said:

You can be charged for manslaughter if you accidentally kill someone. Being underneath house arrest doesn't mean you're not going to be charged with manslaughter. They will add that to whatever charge you get for violating the terms of your release.

There isn't enough context to determine if that's what would happen in this particular scenario. It's kind of hard to be "logical" about a particular situation when it lacks any meaningful context.

I do not know about the quotations around the word logical. Anyway, that does not say much about this scenario which at least a general idea of consequences can be thought about with regard to current laws in the United States as it is the country Edward Snowden was a citizen of when he leaked all of his information.

You do not need to repeat yourself as I read your original post in this thread. I am seeking to understand why a person would be charged with manslaughter for surprising an elderly person, causing him to get a heart attack then die because she is on house arrest. It is a straightforward inquiry.

In the same way, I am seeking to understand how negligence is attributed to the case of Snowden, especially when other people are those who utilized the leaked information without his approval.

-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -TheSecondSign-

@BranKetra said:
@-TheSecondSign- said:

You can be charged for manslaughter if you accidentally kill someone. Being underneath house arrest doesn't mean you're not going to be charged with manslaughter. They will add that to whatever charge you get for violating the terms of your release.

I do not know about the quotations around the word logical. Anyway, that does not say much about this scenario which at least a general idea of consequences can be thought about with regard to current laws in the United States as it is the country Edward Snowden was a citizen of when he leaked all of his information.

You do not need to repeat yourself as I read your original post in this thread. I am seeking to understand why a person would be charged with manslaughter for surprising an elderly person, causing him to get a heart attack then die because she is on house arrest. It is a straightforward inquiry.

In the same way, I am seeking to understand how negligence is attributed to the case of Snowden, especially when other people are those who utilized the leaked information without his approval.

It would depend on the circumstances. How he/she scared them, where exactly they were, why a simple scare killed that elderly person, etc. In anything like this lawyers tear the case apart to either defend/accuse the person in question. In the same way, if a prosecutor can find a legal way of displaying Snowden's actions as negligent, as defined by court, then he can be charged with negligence.

I don't understand the part of your post where you ask if a person committing a violation of house arrest can still be charged with another, independent crime. The circumstances of his being under house arrest would not factor into any negligence he displayed in a potential crime. It would just be added on top of whatever charge he got for violating it. What if he left his house while on house arrest and raped a woman? He'd get a charge for violating house arrest and raping someone.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

No punishment, he deserves nothing beyond a pardon and a lot of fucking high-fives for having the balls to stand up against evil empire's like US & Britain.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By branketra

@-TheSecondSign- said:

It would depend on the circumstances. How he/she scared them, where exactly they were, why a simple scare killed that elderly person, etc. In anything like this lawyers tear the case apart to either defend/accuse the person in question. In the same way, if a prosecutor can find a legal way of displaying Snowden's actions as negligent, as defined by court, then he can be charged with negligence.

I don't understand the part of your post where you ask if a person committing a violation of house arrest can still be charged with another, independent crime. The circumstances of his being under house arrest would not factor into any negligence he displayed in a potential crime. It would just be added on top of whatever charge he got for violating it. What if he left his house while on house arrest and raped a woman? He'd get a charge for violating house arrest and raping someone.

Snowden did not leak information about these U.K. spies. Someone else used his action to accomplish that, making it a separate crime, yet he is considered as a possible individual to convict for some reason. You say that lawyers can find some way to defend or accuse him. I am asking how it is negligent to the point that it should be prosecutable.

-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By -TheSecondSign-

@BranKetra said:
@-TheSecondSign- said:

Snowden did not leak information about these U.K. spies. Someone else used his action to accomplish that, making it a separate crime, yet he is considered as a possible individual to convict for some reason. You say that lawyers can find some way to defend or accuse him. I am asking how it is negligent to the point that it should be prosecutable.

That depends on how they define negligence in what I assume will be the Supreme Court. I don't see how they can, but that doesn't mean that they can't. I agree that sounds ridiculous, but that doesn't mean they won't try.

With that said, I don't understand the house arrest analogy. In that scenario your imaginary accidental murderer is directly responsible for both actions and takes place under an entirely different set of circumstances. There's no comparison there.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 branketra

@-TheSecondSign- said:

That depends on how they define negligence in what I assume will be the Supreme Court. I don't see how they can, but that doesn't mean that they can't. I agree that sounds ridiculous, but that doesn't mean they won't try.

With that said, I don't understand the house arrest analogy. In that scenario your imaginary accidental murderer is directly responsible for both actions and takes place under an entirely different set of circumstances. There's no comparison there.

He is responsible for both actions in your opinion which is partially what I have been expressing, here.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

He should be punished. I have no sympathy for unethical individuals.

How about an unethical entity such as a government?

-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By -TheSecondSign-

@BranKetra said:
@-TheSecondSign- said:

He is responsible for both actions in your opinion which is partially what I have been expressing, here.

Your analogy doesn't make that clear. In your scenario, a person goes outside and accidentally kills someone through some type of direct action. Snowden never went outside and directly killed someone under the same circumstances. His actions were completely different.

I have no opinion on Snowden and after checking my posts I don't see where I said I thought Snowden was responsible. I was merely pointing out that if he can be found in some way to have been negligent as defined by whatever court tries, they can technically try him for it. It doesn't even meant they will, they just can.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By branketra

@-TheSecondSign- said:
@BranKetra said:
@-TheSecondSign- said:

Your analogy doesn't make that clear. In your scenario, a person goes outside and accidentally kills someone through some type of direct action. Snowden never went outside and directly killed someone under the same circumstances. His actions were completely different.

I have no opinion on Snowden and after checking my posts I don't see where I said I thought Snowden was responsible. I was merely pointing out that if he can be found in some way to have been negligent as defined by whatever court tries, they can technically try him for it. It doesn't even meant they will, they just can.

There is a misunderstanding about the concept of an accident. An accident is something which transpires without deliberate cause. Direct circumstances would be without intervening factors such as not intending to cause harm to the elderly man.

Okay. I am not as interested in seeing what a court will do, so much as what a court should do.

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

I am not surprised that there's a majority of Republicans supporters who think and believe that Edward Snowden should be arrested. I am qutie sure McCain, and the Bush family share your same views to.

Thanks to Edward we know what kind of a government that some in here are willing to defend and even go to war for.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

If they won't prosecute the criminals that led us into a needless war or those that nearly collapsed our economy, Snowden shouldn't be prosecuted.

If you're going to lay out the law, don't be hypocritical about it. Amiright?

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

If they won't prosecute the criminals that led us into a needless war or those that nearly collapsed our economy, Snowden shouldn't be prosecuted.

Agreed my comrade.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

Has there been any solid, definitive evidence that his actions have endangered lives?

As usual, no.

@Toph_Girl250 said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Agreed my comrade.

Yeah.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@thebest31406 said:
@Aljosa23 said:

As usual, no.

@Toph_Girl250 said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Agreed my comrade.

Yeah.

^

That.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts