Foods so perfect you cringe at changing them

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

So I was wondering whether you guys had any foods that you think of as perfection and don't like thinking about changing them in any way. For me this a fresh butter croissant. Yes there are things like honey and jam that you can put on it or get a freshly glazed one, and while it might taste better I still miss the simplicity of the buttery, flaky deliciousness that is the original roll.

Do you guys have anything like this?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

Nope. Variety is the spice of life, and nothing is too perfect to change.

It's not about making it better, necessarily. It's about making something new.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Deviled eggs.

Hard-boiled egg, yolk mixed with Miracle Whip and topped with paprika. Absolute perfection.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Deviled eggs.

Hard-boiled egg, yolk mixed with Miracle Whip and topped with paprika. Absolute perfection.

no mustard with the yolk? That's pretty standard, not to knock your way of doing it, mind you.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 foxhound_fox

@mrbojangles25 said:

no mustard with the yolk? That's pretty standard, not to knock your way of doing it, mind you.

I prefer Miracle Whip to mayonnaise, and you usually only put mustard with mayo. The MW has enough flavour from spices that just pairs perfectly with the yolk for me. When people add stuff to the yolk (even bacon) it just throws off the balance of flavour for me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrbojangles25

@foxhound_fox: ahhhh OK I did not know Miracle Whip was seasoned, I will have to give that a try.

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

Steak and burgers. A little bit of salt and I'm all set, nothing else needed. I can also appreciate an unadorned hotdog, but only if it's grilled.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By foxhound_fox

@mrbojangles25 said:

@foxhound_fox: ahhhh OK I did not know Miracle Whip was seasoned, I will have to give that a try.

Yeah, it's technically "dressing", not mayo. But I grew up on that for sandwiches and stuff, rather than actual mayo.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrbojangles25

really crusty, good, fresh bread. Like from a proper bakery. It's gotta have that crunch, a symphony of crackle! With some grass fed European-style butter...oh yeah, so good. Simple.

Fried eggs, biscuit, and a protein (ham, bacon, sausage).

Breakfast burritos...they're not my favorite food, but--damn it all--I've never had one I did not enjoy. They are just so tasty. Eggs, chorizo, cheese, tortilla...maybe some potatoes on occasion.

Good steak. Not any steak. Good steak, actually scratch that....has to be GREAT steak. Like prime or better. Good marbling, cooked the right way. Not bloody rare, but definitely no more than medium, either. Honestly, if it's not like a 20+$ per lb steak, I think I would rather just have some chicken at this point in my life...not trying to sound like a snob but I just don't have time for grocery store steak these days.

A nice bowl of pasta bolognese, preferably rigatoni. It's just the best meat sauce out there. Beef, pork, and veal stewed in a sauce of tomatoes and vegetables with just a splash of dairy to mellow the acid out and marry it all together. Beautiful.

*Hmmm I sort of missed the point of the thread, I just listed perfect foods but I change those all the time; I fill my breakfast burritos differently all the time, I eat different cuts of steak occasionally, I try different biscuit recipes, and I enjoy different kinds of bread.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Steak is one of those foods that is best cooked simple because it's about the meat, and not the seasoning you put on top of it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25

@Serraph105 said:

@mrbojangles25: Steak is one of those foods that is best cooked simple because it's about the meat, and not the seasoning you put on top of it.

exactly. All you need is salt.

I got a sous vide machine recently, which is just a fancy way to cook something in a water bath at a controlled temperature. I'm able to cook a steak to perfect medium-rare temperatures (or whatever temperature I want) like 135 F, but I can cook it for like three hours to render down the fat and connective tissue. So the steak is basically cooked in a bag.

I then take it out and sear it over a super hot cast iron pan for like a few minutes in clarified butter with some salt, and that's about it.

I did this the other day with some prime-grade tri-tip; it's a really flavorful cut of meet with amazing marbling, but it can be tough and you have to cook it a bit longer than people are used to for steaks. It was amazing.

Tried it with ribeyes, too, it was awesome. Did it for about an hour since you can cook ribeyes pretty quick.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Sushi

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Chili

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts

@mrbojangles25:

I agree with the bread. Like if you go to the supermarket when they put out the freshly baked french bread in the paper wrap. I could eat the entire loaf as is.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

Bakers bread with some Aioli spread. It's seriously amazing for something so simple

My partner makes a mean tuna bake, if she ever changed her way I'd probably cry. It's seriously that good

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

There's nothing like fresh oysters with lime, hot sauce, salt, and worcestershire. It's too perfect when they're fresh.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hockey73

@eliminatorpaige:

Just looked them up on google. They look delicious, where can I find them?!

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hockey73

@eliminatorpaige:

Dang it, I'm a terrible cook!

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

That feeling disappears as soon as I bite into them, however :D

wait i misunderstood.I thought its about food that looked so perfect, like bday cakes, that you feel guilty eating them.