Fantasy/epic fantasy book recommendations

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 fnevaeva
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts

Hi everyone! I'm currently reading ASOIAF: A Clash of Kings, but I like to read at least two books at the same time. Any recommendations for my seond book? It's gotta be within the Fantasy/Epic Fantasy realm. Is the Wheel of Time series any good? halp

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I very highly recommend The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson (first book in the series is The Way of Kings, unfortunately there are only two books in the series released so far). Along with a stand-alone book Elantris that he also wrote, these are two of the best fantasy novels/series out there. Sanderson's Mistborn series is also quite popular, although personally I think Stormlight Archive and Elantris are much better.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

Well I came in here to recommend ASOIAF, but we'll... Lol. Maybe try Lord of the Rings? Ive been thinking about starting that series at The Silmarillion.

LOTR seconded.

TheKokopelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 TheKokopelli
Member since 2003 • 1683 Posts

@fnevaeva: The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, as is the Belgariad and Mallorean series by David Eddings.

The Garret P.I. series by Glen Cook is good, and I have heard his Black Company series is also worth a read.

If you want a more historical series, Stephen Lawhead has some good series, the King Raven trilogy being my favorite.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fnevaeva

@TheKokopelli: I have the Omnibus (3 book edition) of The Black Company, Shadows Linger, and The White Rose. It's collected some dust with me quitting right away with the very advanced language (which confused me while trying to understand just the first few pages lol). But maybe i'll give it another heave ho.

And if I read the LOTR trilogy, would it be a bore since I've seen the movies? (and yes, I did read the hobbit b4 the first hobbit movie came out).

I'll do some research on these other suggestions that you guys have given me so far. Keep up the recommendations in case these may or may not interest me. i'll respond in a bit after some reading up

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I liked the series by Garth Nix. First book is called Sabriel.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

king killer chronicles are nice

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17865 Posts

The Death Gate Cycle

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Eisenhorn Omnibus by Dan Abnett. Really enjoyed this series not just because it's 40K sci-fi/fantasy but it's a legit good story with fun characters.

I really wish someone in Hollywood would make a full featured trilogy (LOTR style) out of it!

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

Lord of the rings trilogy is boring wether or not you saw the movies.

Maybe you can try fantasy that isn't in medieval like times so that there is more variety like The powder Mage trilogy (2 books out so far) or Dark Tower series, I ate the first three books in DT up while I struggled getting through the three LOTR books even though I had enjoyed the hobbit.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#12 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The Odyssey.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Hatiko said:

Lord of the rings trilogy is boring wether or not you saw the movies.

Maybe you can try fantasy that isn't in medieval like times so that there is more variety like The powder Mage trilogy (2 books out so far) or Dark Tower series, I ate the first three books in DT up while I struggled getting through the three LOTR books even though I had enjoyed the hobbit.

I'm definitely going to try the Dark Tower series. Anything by the god writers of Dragonlance is bound to be good =P

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

@korvus:

The Dark tower books are by Stephen king. Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis did Dragonlance.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:

I very highly recommend The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson (first book in the series is The Way of Kings, unfortunately there are only two books in the series released so far). Along with a stand-alone book Elantris that he also wrote, these are two of the best fantasy novels/series out there. Sanderson's Mistborn series is also quite popular, although personally I think Stormlight Archive and Elantris are much better.

I'll add this to my growing book list. Might be a year or so before I get to it though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Hatiko said:

@korvus:

The Dark tower books are by Stephen king. Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis did Dragonlance.

Yeah, never mind. I meant to reply to @br0kenrabbit since he mentioned the Death Gate Cycle and somehow got all confused and replied to you XD Probably because I also want to read the Dark Tower series.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Read the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson, you won't be disappointed.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#18 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

The Malazan Book of the Fallen puts the "epic" in epic fantasy. It'll take you forever to read, and it's very difficult to follow, but with the last couple of disappointments in ASoIaF, it's my favorite fantasy series overall.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i would say the devil's advocate by taylor cauldwell is one that is amazing but nobody has heard of.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#20 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@TheKokopelli said:

@fnevaeva: The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

If you decide to get into this, be prepared for an extremely disappointing deus ex machina ending that completely negates everything you're read. He wrapped it up with Confessor but then continued it several years later with Omen Machine, which was awful. The Third Kingdom isn't fairing much better.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

As others have said, Brandon Sanderson has quite a few books that you might be interested in, I would look into any books that are a part of his "Cosmere" universe (Elantris, Warmaker, Stormlight Archives, Mistborn trilogys and spinoffs, etc.), as they are somewhat interconnected, and he is planning on writing 10+ more with more and more world connections (from what I understand) to make quite an epic (as long as he finishes it!) universe.

The Wheel of Time is a somewhat popular series, I'm still working on the first book so I can't give you much feedback on it unfortunately.

I would highly recommend the Name of the Wind and the sequel, hopefully the third will one day be published. This was the first book that got me out of my ASOIAF hangover.

If you haven't read LoTR or the Hobbit I would recommend them as well.

I recently finished The Night Angel trilogy and Codex Alera series, both were above average, same with the first two books in the Pathfinder Trilogy (Orson Scott Card, fast paced as only he can write).

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

The Kingkiller Chronicles series is great

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@Serraph105 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

I'll add this to my growing book list. Might be a year or so before I get to it though.

You should prioritize it :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Zlurodirom said:

I recently finished The Night Angel trilogy and Codex Alera series, both were above average, same with the first two books in the Pathfinder Trilogy (Orson Scott Card, fast paced as only he can write).

Brent Weeks and Jim Butcher are two of my favourite fantasy writers.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

The Farseer Trilogy is fairly good. Not what you would call high fantasy and with enough believable drama that it's easy enough to read. I have yet to find any fantasy novels that are like ASOIF. I don't think any exist.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#26  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

The Ranger's Apprentice is a pretty good series, which has twelve entries. It's a long saga of Historical-Fiction, not necessarily Fantasy.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

Faded Sun Trilogy. It's considered sci-fi but actually has a bit of fantasy elements IMO.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

@airshocker: If you like the Farseer books, you should also probably read all of the...um...dragons-ship books and fool books that continue the story (I don't remember the names - haven't read them since high school).

Anyway, I'd like to throw in something a little different: The Anubis Gates.

It's sort of a time-travelling historical fiction novel, but it's full of ancient Egyptian sorcerers and bizarre serial killers and whatnot.

It's definitely epic. There's twists, there's humour, there's huge confrontations all over the place, and it all wraps together very neatly indeed. I highly recommend it!

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fnevaeva

So many good suggestions I don't know where to start! Maybe I'll give The Fellowship of the Ring a go and if I find that most of the book is just like the movie (meaning there just isn't much extra stuff missing) then I'll have to pick up one of these books @ the library & save some MOOLA. Thanks for all the help guys, it's always nice to hear personal opinions on different books. Keep it comin!

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Will put an extra vote for The Kingkiller Chronicle. Became my favorite books <3

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@Planeforger said:

@airshocker: If you like the Farseer books, you should also probably read all of the...um...dragons-ship books and fool books that continue the story (I don't remember the names - haven't read them since high school).

It's sort of a time-travelling historical fiction novel, but it's full of ancient Egyptian sorcerers and bizarre serial killers and whatnot.

It's definitely epic. There's twists, there's humour, there's huge confrontations all over the place, and it all wraps together very neatly indeed. I highly recommend it!

I know of them. I'll get around to reading them.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts
@airshocker said:

@Planeforger said:

I know of them. I'll get around to reading them.

Tales of Dunk and Egg as well as The Princess and the Queen.

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

@GamerForca: i was going to recommend Malazan but i was beat to it. Amazing series that I honestly have enjoyed better than anything I've read in the epic fantasy genre. That includes GRRM, though his work is right up there.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

read the book of the new sun

don't read wheel of time it is shit straight out of a butt

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Malazan Book of the Fallen series is really good.

Anything written by Terry Pratchett is worth reading btw, even if it's now waht you asked for.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@bwb2: Don't bump the threads. This is an old thread from October 2014. Oh yeah, welcome to Gamespot.

centrifugal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 centrifugal
Member since 2015 • 104 Posts

The Sword of Shannara trilogy by Terry Brooks is a great start to fantasy novels and they are relatively easy to find in local book stores.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Malazan

BWB2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BWB2
Member since 2015 • 8 Posts

@davillain-: Got it. Thank you.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@bwb2 said:

@davillain-: Got it. Thank you.

Glad you understand :) nonetheless it's a 9 month old thread, so locked it is.