Family of Denver Pastor Killed in Custody Awarded $4.6M

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

In Historic Police Brutality Case, Family of Homeless Denver Pastor Killed in Custody Awarded $4.6M

As Denver faces a string of police brutality cases, a federal jury has awarded a historic $4.6 million in damages to the family of a homeless preacher killed while he was in the booking area of the Denver jail. Marvin Booker died after he was grabbed and then piled on by a team of officers who handcuffed him, put him in a chokehold and tasered him. The coroner ruled his death a homicide, but prosecutors declined to charge the deputies involved, and Denver Sheriff Department officials never disciplined them, saying Booker could have harmed someone and that force was needed to restrain him. The case highlights a history of alleged misconduct by the police department, and has added momentum to calls for reform both locally and nationwide in the aftermath of calls for justice in the killing of unarmed teenager Michael Brown by an officer in Ferguson.

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/10/17/in_historic_police_brutality_case_family

In the link provided, with full video discussion and transcript, Amy Goodman interviews Rev. Reginald Holmes, pastor of the New Covenant Christian Church/Alpha and Omega Ministries, who has been a leading voice calling for law enforcement accountability, and Susan Greene, editor of The Colorado Independent and longtime reporter formerly with The Denver Post.

Just one case which demonstrates that police crimes are just a fraction of the overall problem. Folks at the state level who refuse to do the just thing...that's the real problem.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

I'm wondering if the coroner that refused to deem his death "natural causes" is looking for new work.

Anyhow, this is a civil award, they were never charged criminally. The family should ask federal prosecutors to maybe look into it.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thebest31406
@lamprey263 said:

I'm wondering if the coroner that refused to deem his death "natural causes" is looking for new work.

Anyhow, this is a civil award, they were never charged criminally. The family should ask federal prosecutors to maybe look into it.

Probably. Not to downplay the much needed criminal prosecution of those thugs but I think it's something of a blessing that the family received over 4 million in damages. But you are right, they should try and ask the federal prosecutors to look into the matter

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

yay, the family that let some poor slob live on the streets gets rich.

how wonderful for them. they didn't have to lose anything they gave a **** about for their payday.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Good point...wonder why the man had to live on the streets rather then with his family. I know one thing for damn sure, my father will never be homeless.

Regarding the actual case never followed it so no opinion on it. I hope it was the correct outcome, though.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

@Renevent42 said:

Good point...wonder why the man had to live on the streets rather then with his family. I know one thing for damn sure, my father will never be homeless.

Regarding the actual case never followed it so no opinion on it. I hope it was the correct outcome, though.

maybe i'm being too hard on them.

i guess he could have been dangerous or something.

but even then he could have been put in a facility of some kind.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
@Riverwolf007 said:

@Renevent42 said:

maybe i'm being too hard on them.

i guess he could have been dangerous or something.

but even then he could have been put in a facility of some kind.

I think it's a fair question...especially considering the family basically just became millionaires from his death. With that said, even if they are scumbags and profited off the death of a family member they couldn't care less about (or was dangerous, whatever), that doesn't mean his civil rights weren't violated.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Where does the money come from in big awards like this? I hope it's not punishing the tax players of the area.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

That money would probably be put to better use if given to an institution that cares for homeless people...

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thebest31406

@AutoPilotOn said:

Where does the money come from in big awards like this? I hope it's not punishing the tax players of the area.

The police department is a state institution that uses state money. State money is tax money so yes, the tax payers paid for the PD's crime.