Everyone is a little racist...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 eo12601
Member since 2003 • 4814 Posts
Do you agree?  I mean, I have the balls to admit that although I fully respect people of different races, beliefs, colors, etc, and I believe that everyone is equal.  However, for example, in a video game, if I am allowed to make my own character, I will usually go for one that resembles myself.  Meaning, I generally won't play as a female, and I will usually create a slim, dark brown haired, white male...  Also, in tv shows and in games that force a certain character on you, whether I like characters or not is not dependent on the race etc, but if I have to play as a character, a lot of times I feel like I can relate more to a character that resembles myself.  I mean, I realize this is irrational, but nevertheless, sometimes I feel that way.  And like, for example, if I was going to adopt someone, I'd probably pick a country like russia or ukraine (partly because I am russian), over countries in Africa...  I realize it's just skin color, but that means I am being biased based on skin color...  On the other hand, if I was a manager who was hiring people or something to that extent, I wouldn't give a crap about any of that.

P.S.  do me a favor and don't flame me.  I am merely being honest here.  I am curious to know what other people think, however.  
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I agree, yes. I know I'm slightly racist. It can't really be avoided.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
I'd say that everyone has inherent bias.  It's  partly human nature.
Rabid_Moogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Rabid_Moogle
Member since 2006 • 285 Posts
Im not really racist, i just say the N word to a bunch of people (who arent even black) and C**nk to my asian friends. but they dont mind lawls. but im asian too so...
Dasc00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Dasc00
Member since 2006 • 4308 Posts
Racist?.......not really.
Avatar image for bloody1f4knight
bloody1f4knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 bloody1f4knight
Member since 2006 • 4922 Posts
Depends on people.. I do think racism is wrong and I do not consider myself a racist
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
I wouldn't say racist. Maybe a slight racial bias, but not racist.
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 eo12601
Racist?.......not really.Dasc00
what I mean is that everyone has a slight bias towards certain people. Maybe why a lot of times russians hang out mostly with other russians, chinese mostly with other chinese, etc? Generally more prevalent in big cities like NY, but still.

I wouldn't say racist. Maybe a slight racial bias, but not racist.Rhazakna

Yea, that's what i was getting at.
Hexum-311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hexum-311
Member since 2007 • 1158 Posts
I'm not the slightest bit racist, nor have I ever been. Racism is a byproduct of fear. The more you let fear dominate your life, rather than love, the easier it is to be a racist. Open the eyes of love and realize we are all people, we all face challenges, and we all generally want the same things out of life: Peace, love and understanding. Instead of hating a man that breaks into your home to steal your possessions, take pity upon him and do what you can to help because his life has not given him what yours has given you.
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 eo12601
[QUOTE="Hexum-311"]I'm not the slightest bit racist, nor have I ever been. Racism is a byproduct of fear. The more you let fear dominate your life, rather than love, the easier it is to be a racist. Open the eyes of love and realize we are all people, we all face challenges, and we all generally want the same things out of life: Peace, love and understanding. Instead of hating a man that breaks into your home to steal your possessions, take pity upon him and do what you can to help because his life has not given him what yours has given you.

I'm not afraid of people who are different than me. I merely feel like, in certain circustances, like I can relate to them less. For example, I will also honestly say that I really want to have a son. I'd like a daughter as well, but if I had to choose (and I know this is absolutely horrible) I'd choose to have a son over a daughter just because I think I'd be able to relate to a son more than a daughter and I'd be able to raise him better than her...

can you really say you have not even the slightest bit of racial bias?  What about religious bias?  etc..
Dasc00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Dasc00
Member since 2006 • 4308 Posts
[QUOTE="Dasc00"]Racist?.......not really.eo12601
what I mean is that everyone has a slight bias towards certain people. Maybe why a lot of times russians hang out mostly with other russians, chinese mostly with other chinese, etc? Generally more prevalent in big cities like NY, but still.

Not me. MY friends, holy **** they're bias. But they're the only people I have, so what do I do? I hang out with anybody I can, depending on their attitude towards me. .Seeing if they understand me. Besides, having ancestors from Europe Asia and Africa, I can't can I?
Avatar image for Sheik_Yerbouti_
Sheik_Yerbouti_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sheik_Yerbouti_
Member since 2005 • 2398 Posts
I usually create or pick female characters, because if I'm going to be staring at a VG character's onscreen antics for hours on end... well, you see what I'm saying. But I digress..

I don't really see myself as being racist. I might be more prone to noticing people of different racial backgrounds because I live in a society consisting mostly of whites, but that's about it.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#13 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Yea, everyone is racist. Some people just do a better job of covering it up.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
bias does not equal racism.......that being said I am biased.....against dumb people.....
Hexum-311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hexum-311
Member since 2007 • 1158 Posts
I usually create or pick female characters, because if I'm going to be staring at a VG character's onscreen antics for hours on end... well, you see what I'm saying. But I digress..

I don't really see myself as being racist. I might be more prone to noticing people of different racial backgrounds because I live in a society consisting mostly of whites, but that's about it.
Sheik_Yerbouti_
Unrelated but... Sheik Yerbouti = Frank Zappa?
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 eo12601
bias does not equal racism.......that being said I am biased.....against dumb people.....Omni-Slash
From dictionary.com racism- Discrimination or prejudice based on race. Prejudice- 2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable. 3. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, esp. of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Instead of hating a man that breaks into your home to steal your possessions, take pity upon him and do what you can to help because his life has not given him what yours has given you.Hexum-311
People make their own decisions and can shape their life in a positive way, regardless of any difficulties they might have faced.
BabyAlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 BabyAlf
Member since 2006 • 571 Posts
I have to admit I am abit. the N word seems to always be in my head and I find some of the most funniest jokes are racsist jokes (id tell a few but im not that rasist!)
Avatar image for Sheik_Yerbouti_
Sheik_Yerbouti_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sheik_Yerbouti_
Member since 2005 • 2398 Posts
[QUOTE="Sheik_Yerbouti_"]I usually create or pick female characters, because if I'm going to be staring at a VG character's onscreen antics for hours on end... well, you see what I'm saying. But I digress..

Hexum-311
Unrelated but... Sheik Yerbouti = Frank Zappa?

Yes, indeed.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Omni-Slash
[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]bias does not equal racism.......that being said I am biased.....against dumb people.....eo12601
From dictionary.com racism- Discrimination or prejudice based on race. Prejudice- 2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable. 3. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, esp. of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.

like I said bias doesn't equal racism.....I have a bias towards brunnets....doesn't mean I'm racist towards blondes....
Avatar image for someotherguy654
someotherguy654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 someotherguy654
Member since 2004 • 15122 Posts
I guess you can be trained racist.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#22 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
bias does not equal racism.......that being said I am biased.....against dumb people.....Omni-Slash

Same here.
Avatar image for AtomicBaconBits
AtomicBaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 AtomicBaconBits
Member since 2006 • 8855 Posts
What'choo say,n****?!
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 eo12601
[QUOTE="eo12601"][QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]bias does not equal racism.......that being said I am biased.....against dumb people.....Omni-Slash

like I said bias doesn't equal racism.....I have a bias towards brunnets....doesn't mean I'm racist towards blondes....

would you define your preference as an unreasonable opinion/feeling/attitude? I mean if you had two twins, who were exactly the same, really nice, beautiful, etc, except for some reason one was blonde and the other was brunnette, is it honestly a reasonable thing to do to go for the brunnette one because she has brown hair? I am not trying to call you racist or anything, just trying to show you why I have used the word racist within this kind of a context.
Versus_XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Versus_XIII
Member since 2006 • 1250 Posts
Yup. Bias does not equal racism. Racism is everywhere it's just people refuse to accept it.
amapi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 amapi
Member since 2005 • 2404 Posts
I agree completely. Although most will deny, it is apparent that most people are slightly racist at times without consciously knowing it. Its just part of society I guess...
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Omni-Slash
would you define your preference as an unreasonable opinion/feeling/attitude? I mean if you had two twins, who were exactly the same, really nice, beautiful, etc, except for some reason one was blonde and the other was brunnette, is it honestly a reasonable thing to do to go for the brunnette one because she has brown hair? I am not trying to call you racist or anything, just trying to show you why I have used the word racist within this kind of a context.eo12601
not at all....we are humans and as such we have preferences or biases......what is attractive to me is not what is attractive to you.......by choosing one you are not degrading the other......people get so damn touchy today about things like this....in truth is I know people like different things...sometimes it escapes logical explanaiton.....it doesn't mena they hate the other thing or feel ill will towards it.....
NooBAFIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 NooBAFIED
Member since 2006 • 4136 Posts
little? man im alot of everything
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 eo12601
[QUOTE="eo12601"]would you define your preference as an unreasonable opinion/feeling/attitude? I mean if you had two twins, who were exactly the same, really nice, beautiful, etc, except for some reason one was blonde and the other was brunnette, is it honestly a reasonable thing to do to go for the brunnette one because she has brown hair? I am not trying to call you racist or anything, just trying to show you why I have used the word racist within this kind of a context.Omni-Slash
not at all....we are humans and as such we have preferences or biases......what is attractive to me is not what is attractive to you.......by choosing one you are not degrading the other......people get so damn touchy today about things like this....in truth is I know people like different things...sometimes it escapes logical explanaiton.....it doesn't mena they hate the other thing or feel ill will towards it.....

So you don't think that the fact that I'd rather have a male child over a female child is even a little bit racist? Or that I'd probably rather adopt a white kid than a black one? I mean, it seems racist to me. I know it is unfair, at any rate.
NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NathanHawkins
Member since 2006 • 4470 Posts
nearly everyone is.  look at examples not limited to developed countries which is where i think all of us relate, but to countries or regions w/o GS (so to speak).  terms such as n****r, white devil, and others i really can't type, say volumes about countries and peoples other than white america.  it exists in most, even when very little.  the brain is a defensive organ, whether we wish so or not.
trophylocoste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 trophylocoste
Member since 2006 • 8454 Posts
Ummm. I don't think im racist but I sometime sterotype...If that count as me being racist then I guess I am but not alot.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Omni-Slash
So you don't think that the fact that I'd rather have a male child over a female child is even a little bit racist? Or that I'd probably rather adopt a white kid than a black one? I mean, it seems racist to me. I know it is unfair, at any rate. eo12601
it's unfair that's for sure......incredibly stupid....but not racist......what if you have views that a Black family could raise the child better than you could?.....does that make somone a racist because they think they are doing what is best for the child?....I'm not saying that I would do any of this....but people can have beliefs agaisnt the "societal norm"...and not be racist......and in regards to sex.....I've always wanted a daughter....I got two sons....does that mean I love them any less?...no....but I can honestly say I was really hoping my second one would be a little girl.......
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 eo12601
[QUOTE="eo12601"]So you don't think that the fact that I'd rather have a male child over a female child is even a little bit racist? Or that I'd probably rather adopt a white kid than a black one? I mean, it seems racist to me. I know it is unfair, at any rate. Omni-Slash
it's unfair that's for sure......incredibly stupid....but not racist......what if you have views that a Black family could raise the child better than you could?.....does that make somone a racist because they think they are doing what is best for the child?....I'm not saying that I would do any of this....but people can have beliefs agaisnt the "societal norm"...and not be racist......and in regards to sex.....I've always wanted a daughter....I got two sons....does that mean I love them any less?...no....but I can honestly say I was really hoping my second one would be a little girl.......

I wouldn't say its stupid.. Or maybe it is. I know that a lot of people think in a similar way. I mean I don't believe that anyone can do anything better than anyone just because of race, etc. But at the same time I find myself being biased in certain ways.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I'd say that everyone has inherent bias. It's partly human nature.sonicare

That is different than racism though... racism is a negative and derogatory method of discriminating against others.
familyguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 familyguy77
Member since 2005 • 2238 Posts
No.... Not me. I never was racist, never will be. I was raised in a bi-racial household, and my parents raised me to treat everyone the same regardless of their skin color. Racial slurs will never come from my lips, because I've been called a spic, a wetback, and a dirty halfcast, and I know how much those words hurt, so I will never say racial slurs.
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts

It makes sense

eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 eo12601
No.... Not me. I never was racist, never will be. I was raised in a bi-racial household, and my parents raised me to treat everyone the same regardless of their skin color. Racial slurs will never come from my lips, because I've been called a spic, a wetback, and a dirty halfcast, and I know how much those words hurt, so I will never say racial slurs.familyguy77
I see. But do you think you are racially biased? Even a little bit? I mean I never call people things like that, and I also believe everyone is the same regardless of skin color. And yet, there is something irrational in me that makes me want to, like the example I used, have a kid that is, well like/similar to myself.
familyguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 familyguy77
Member since 2005 • 2238 Posts

[QUOTE="familyguy77"]No.... Not me. I never was racist, never will be. I was raised in a bi-racial household, and my parents raised me to treat everyone the same regardless of their skin color. Racial slurs will never come from my lips, because I've been called a spic, a wetback, and a dirty halfcast, and I know how much those words hurt, so I will never say racial slurs.eo12601
I see. But do you think you are racially biased? Even a little bit? I mean I never call people things like that, and I also believe everyone is the same regardless of skin color. And yet, there is something irrational in me that makes me want to, like the example I used, have a kid that is, well like/similar to myself.

No, I'm not racially biased at all. Where I live, I am an extreme minority. Mostly everyone in my town is black, and the second largest are whites. I'd say I'm in one of about 4 hispanic families in my town. But back to the point, no, I'm not racially biased. I don't pre-judge a person by their race or anything like that. I wouldn't mind adopting a black child, race is simply irrelevant to me.

NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NathanHawkins
Member since 2006 • 4470 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicare"]I'd say that everyone has inherent bias. It's partly human nature.foxhound_fox

That is different than racism though... racism is a negative and derogatory method of discriminating against others.

not necessarily...but mostly.  racism is a term that reflects a race...in the same aspect that BET is targetted at a race, therefore racist, although not in entirety negative absolutely.
SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts
I agree with you, but is that really being racist? The word sounds kind of harsh for what you describe is all I'm saying.