Ever Listened to a Radio Song Which Made You Feel...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

......weird afterwards when you found out that an unexpected artist was the actual singer?

So for like at least 5 years all I listen to in the radio is AM (News/Politics) partly because I like it and part because I don't get good reception on my FM stations.

So basically the only new music I listen to is whatever scraps Pandora throws my way.

So today while driving (different car from mine) to a song I liked but couldn't recognized her voice (I thought it might have been Ariana Grande or Ke$ha or one of the 100 or so teen pop stars one-hit wonders) and it turned out it was:

↓↓

↓↓

↓↓

↓↓

↓↓

↓↓

↓↓

↓↓

↓↓

↓↓

↓↓

↓↓

And then I proceeded to procure the 1989 Album.

♪ So it's gonna be forever, or it's gonna go down in flames ♪

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Master_Live

(Not that had it been an Ariana Grande song would have been any worst or better.)

*after watching the video maybe this should had been the Gone Girl after credits song*

So which song caught you off guard after learning of the artist which recorded it?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Taylor Swifts '1989' is fucking great. No heading hanging in shame required.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Master_Live

Yeah, it isn't shame, I had heard the 1989 album had gotten good reviews but since I'm a little bit hermit (literally) I was pleasantly surprised since the shake it off song was catchy but nothing to write home about.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

No, can't say I've ever had that problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Not exactly what you're asking for but it was still a funny moment.

When I was 3 years old I remember watching Land Before Time and feeling really shocked about the whole death thing...I understood death before that and I was ok with it; at that age I was close to death quite often and it all sounded really peaceful, but that movie was the first time I understood what my death could mean to others, so it was a movie that stuck with me. The song "If We Hold On Together" still makes me teary eyed sometimes and I knew it was by Diana Ross.

Now a few years ago I was watching an interview with this singer called Diana Ross and I mentioned to my wife "she has the same name as the girl who sang that song on Land Before Time", and when my wife told me it was the same person I said, very shocked "but she's black!", then I started wondering why the hell I had assumed she wasn't...guess when I was 3yo everybody I knew was white so I assumed Diana Ross would be too, and that's the image I had of her all those years =P

Loading Video...

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

Land Before Time!!! :o I watched those movies all the time when I was younger.

Oh man, huge nostalgia wave flowing in. :P Makes me really miss the '90's.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

@Master_Live: It's mostly NPR for you right?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Master_Live

@EPICCOMMANDER said:

@Master_Live: It's mostly NPR for you right?

I don't get NPR here, only local stations (Puerto Rico).

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

http://i.minus.com/igPEIuLj9lH8O.gif

http://i.minus.com/ig6KCHLCEbu03.gif

Style and Out of the Woods are great tracks.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts
Loading Video...

yeah, actually i had no idea David Lynch sang when i first heard this song and was surprised to hear that it was him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
@Toph_Girl250 said:

Land Before Time!!! :o I watched those movies all the time when I was younger.

Oh man, huge nostalgia wave flowing in. :P Makes me really miss the '90's.

I watched a few when I was a kid but only watched them all (plus the tv show) a few years ago.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#13 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Ugh........

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I thought I was listening to some new Jane's Addiction and it turned out to be these guys:

Loading Video...

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

I'm tragically out of touch when it comes to music on the radio these days. Out here it's either rap, wuss rock, or the music Clear Channel radio stations (or I heart radio, or whatever shitty name they given themselves now) puts out.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

Gotta admit I like Welcome To New York despite my best efforts not to.

I've always thought Taylor Swift was bland as old waffles with a shockingly average voice but she's actually putting forth effort to get a more exciting sound. Not quite there yet IMO, but I'll give her props for putting in the effort.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@korvus: Hahaha 3 year old racist korvus lol.

I remember land before time one of my favorite films as a child.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@thehig1 said:

@korvus: Hahaha 3 year old racist korvus lol.

I remember land before time one of my favorite films as a child.

I was raised as a racist and a homophobe but the brainwashing hadn't take hold yet when I was 3. The thing was, the few black people I knew at the time had a very heavy and distinctive accent, which Diana Ross didn't, so to my 3yo brain that made her white =P

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@korvus: That's mind boggling to me - not about the assumption, but that you went that late in your life without being familiar with Diana Ross. No love for Motown?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@mattbbpl: Well, for one I'm Portuguese so I probably wasn't exposed to the same icons a lot of you were. Then my family was always really poor so I grew up with no tv or even radio, for that matter. There were a lot of stuff that passed me by until I moved in on my own ^_^

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@korvus: Ah, I always forget that you're Portuguese.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

blank space is great bruv

no shame at all

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

I've always thought Taylor Swift was bland as old waffles with a shockingly average voice but she's actually putting forth effort to get a more exciting sound. Not quite there yet IMO, but I'll give her props for putting in the effort.

You give her more props than I would. Anytime I have the misfortune to hear her....it's boring music.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GreySeal9

@LJS9502_basic said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

You give her more props than I would. Anytime I have the misfortune to hear her....it's boring music.

Well, I give pop music more credit in general more than you do, so that makes sense.

And, to be clear, she's still bland for a whole other sets of reasons but she is trying to change her sound.

For instance, although her single Shake It Off doesn't really work at all because her voice is too limp for a "funky sound" and the melodies are way too bubblegum, I can at least give her props for trying to incorporate horns and what not. Like I said, baby steps, but I'm not adverse to acknowledging when artists expand a little bit even if I don't like them.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Only song that I can think of is actually a different Swift song which I consider to be her only listenable song, and that song is Trouble. Tis just an undeniably catchy song and I thought somone more talented than her sung it.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

Lol people still listen to the radio?

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

Yep, Style is still awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIoygwDDb38

I'll have whatever Wolfie was smoking when he wrote this. Disregarding the tone row sections to some of his works, it's so unlike anything else that I have heard of his; shit is almost atonal. I had to double check if I clicked the right video the first time I heard it.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GreySeal9
@Master_Live said:

Yeah, it isn't shame, I had heard the 1989 album had gotten good reviews but since I'm a little bit hermit (literally) I was pleasantly surprised since the shake it off song was catchy but nothing to write home about.

The execution of Shake It Off is what makes that song mediocre. You can't try to do funky and sing like Taylor does (she's not a good interpreter of material IMO; she sings too "straight"). Just doesn't work lol.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL: Don't worry, doubt she even wrote it, which keeps the untalented assumption in play.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Taylor Swift has a good voice, many copy her song style but she sings better than all of them. I like 1989. I liked Red. She makes fine music.

Never knew that song Vivir Vivir was by Mark Anthony. I never knew why he was famous but that song convinced me.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32  Edited By whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I remember a few songs I've heard on the radio that I thought was by a different singer, though I don't think I felt weird upon finding out who the singer was. In July I heard Jana Burke's song "Love, I still believe in you" and thought it was by Taylor Swift (found out it was by Jana in October), In Summer of '08 I heard Miley Cyrus's "I Can't Wait to See you again" and thought it was by Britney Spears, in Summer 2013 I heard "The Highway Don't Care" and thought the female in it was Hayden Pannetierre (then I think the radio announcer mentioned that it was Swift). Also at first I though the song "can you stay the night" (because of the voice), and Iggy Azalea's "So Fancy" (because when she said "blow" I though she was saying "chlo") might'v been by Chloe Bennett.

Also over the last year I heard some of Swift's other songs that I thought were relatively new, but later Googled and found out were quite older than I thought: I heard Mean on the country station this summer (it's from 2011, I found that out when posting a link to a youtube video of it on a Gamespot thread I made nominating Manu Bennett for man of the year), I heard "Sparks fly" (thought it would be entitled "Drop Everything Now" since that line seems to be the refrain", found she wrote it when she was 16, and this New Year's Day I heard "Story of Us" at the Mall (Macy's), and I think that is from 2010.

Overall, I guess when I hear a song I tend to think the singer is someone I've already heard of, rather than someone new (such as Jana, or Miley at the time).

On a related note: Does it sound like Taylor is saying "stomach slappers" in blank space, to me it sounded like that the first few times I heard it (when she performed on the Voice before Thanksgiving) and in subsequent times I've heard it on the radio? The lyric is really "of ex-lovers", but a lot of people say they hear "starbucks lovers" and I hear "stomach slappers" (I think the issue here is that in order to keep the cadence of the song, Swift is putting the emphasis on the syllable "of" rather than on "lov" as would occur in natural speech, unless you're in the South in which case the emphasis should fall on the "ex" syllable. Also do the lyrics remind you of Arrow (torture, list, etc.)