Does violence against women bother you more than male on male violence?

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

majwill24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 majwill24
Member since 2004 • 1355 Posts

I personally don't feel worse or display more outrage if I see a child or women being shot in the head.

The sex of the victim doesn't make it unbearable to witness, rather the type of violence being applied. I cant watch anyone; man, woman or child getting their head cut off.

If it's too gruesome to watch, it doesn't suddenly become easier to stomach because a guy is the victim.

I'm of the belief that the social acceptance of male on male violence is one of the major problems in our world. Can you imagine how much better things would be if men were taught to show the same reluctance to hitting men as they do women?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Yes

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
Well with the examples you gave I agree. But it is harder for me to watch a man beat a woman, than to watch a man beat a man. As for shooting and stuff neither really bother me. I used to be the type of guy that believe hitting a woman was never the answer but, now I see things a little differently. I think there are very, very, rare cases where it might be acceptable to give a woman the Smack Down.
Amvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Amvis
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts

I actually resent the double standard that our culture displays. Women in domestic violence have all my sympathies, but still think it's not enough to establish such a draconian standard. I've bought women drinks before and for whatever reason they were insulted enough to try to kick me in the balls. If a guy tried to do that, and succeeded no one would have a problem if I fought them. But if it is a woman, then it is a whole nother story for some dumb reason.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Not really. I don't feel as if women are necessarily weaker, and it shouldn't be more off-putting when they're placed in harmful scenarios, as apposed to men.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#7 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

yes, 

but i know i shouldn't be really. 

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Yes I do. With the exception of junkies and hoes who constantly bring in upon themselves, I won't stand there and just watch a dude hit a chick. I will beat his ass the moment he does it. If for some reason I don't think I can take the guy, that's what sticks and bricks are for and you best believe I have the balls to use em too. I'd bust his ass in the head in a heartbeat and just walk away without batting a eye.

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts
Yes I do. With the exception of junkies hoes who constantly bring in upon themselves, I won't stand there and just watch a dude hit a chick. I will beat his ass the moment he does it. If for some reason I don't think I can take the guy, that's what sticks and bricks are for and you best believe I have the balls to use em too. I'd bust his ass in the head in a heartbeat and just walk away without batting a eye.AmazonTreeBoa
You're the hero OT needs, but not the one it deserves.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

Violence in general bothers me, but yes I get an even stronger negative reaction when I see violence against women.

EDIT to clarify it's not because I believe men to be less valuable. It's simply because we are conditioned to believe women to be less strong than men (physically that is usually the case), and thus less able to defend themselves. It's still quite horrible to see anyone get hurt or killed regardless of gender.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts
[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"] if girl beat me. then i do nothing. and be beaten.

,,,and enjoy it?
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Not if it's treated the same as male on male violence

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts
[QUOTE="heeweesRus"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Yes I do. With the exception of junkies hoes who constantly bring in upon themselves, I won't stand there and just watch a dude hit a chick. I will beat his ass the moment he does it. If for some reason I don't think I can take the guy, that's what sticks and bricks are for and you best believe I have the balls to use em too. I'd bust his ass in the head in a heartbeat and just walk away without batting a eye.SNIPER4321

If a guy beat me. i will beat the hell out of him if girl beat me. then i do nothing. and be beaten.

Sounds like a fetish to me, lol
majwill24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 majwill24
Member since 2004 • 1355 Posts

[QUOTE="heeweesRus"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Yes I do. With the exception of junkies hoes who constantly bring in upon themselves, I won't stand there and just watch a dude hit a chick. I will beat his ass the moment he does it. If for some reason I don't think I can take the guy, that's what sticks and bricks are for and you best believe I have the balls to use em too. I'd bust his ass in the head in a heartbeat and just walk away without batting a eye.SNIPER4321

If a guy beat me. i will beat the hell out of him if girl beat me. then i do nothing. and be beaten.

I know you want to come off as noble, but all I can detect is arrogance and misogyny. What you are basically saying is  that I'm a tough guy and no women on earth can seriously hurt me.

It reminds of the tough guy who laughs at women and then say "Ok sweetheart, give me your best shot" while sticking their chin out. The next thing you know the guy gets knocked out with a broken nose.

It's not only demeaning but dangerous

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts
Naw, we're all equal.
StankyLanky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StankyLanky
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I personally don't feel worse or display more outrage if I see a child or women being shot in the head.

The sex of the victim doesn't make it unbearable to witness, rather the type of violence being applied. I cant watch anyone; man, woman or child getting their head cut off.

If it's too gruesome to watch, it doesn't suddenly become easier to stomach because a guy is the victim.

I'm of the belief that the social acceptance of male on male violence is one of the major problems in our world. Can you imagine how much better things would be if men were taught to show the same reluctance to hitting men as they do women?

majwill24
Can you imagine how much better things would be if we took a second to realize that the world's strongest man would get his ass kicked by Anderson Silva, ergo strength =/= fighting skill, ergo we should stop pounding it into people's heads that women being weaker than men means anything? Male-on-female violence is so rampant because we've instilled a sense of dominance in one and straight up fear in the other when it comes to hostile interaction. We've given men the psychological edge, and that's all they need. If women were taught "hey, you see that spot on his chin? **** hit him there" the numbers would look very differently, and you wouldn't have made this thread because you wouldn't see women as automatically being inferior in a fight against a man.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Its sexist to feel different to seeing violence towards women than men. You are innately belittling women as being inferior and in need of protecting.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
The amount that I'm bothered by an act of violence is dependent on the "fairness" of it. So long as the person being beat seems like they could reasonably defend themselves, and the other person stops before they cause any clearly necessary damage, I don't really mind. But if the assailant is much larger, much more clearly skilled, or has a weapon, I become disgusted very quickly. (real violence, simulated violence doesn't generally bother me...)
mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

Depends on the context, to be honest. For me, female victims in domestic violence & "you goin to jail now" are different situations that have me feel completely different. That said, I do tend to feel more for a women, than I do for a man. I can admit that.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AmazonTreeBoa
Its sexist to feel different to seeing violence towards women than men. You are innately belittling women as being inferior and in need of protecting.Diablo-B
Call it what you want, but I still don't like seeing a guy hit a girl. If that makes me a sexiest in your eyes, then so be it. Also seeing girls beat up all the time from a man makes it pretty clear that when it comes to fighting, the average girl is inferior to the average man and do need protection.
StankyLanky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 StankyLanky
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]Its sexist to feel different to seeing violence towards women than men. You are innately belittling women as being inferior and in need of protecting.AmazonTreeBoa
Call it what you want, but I still don't like seeing a guy hit a girl. If that makes me a sexiest in your eyes, then so be it. Also seeing girls beat up all the time from a man makes it pretty clear that when it comes to fighting, the average girl is inferior to the average man and do need protection.

Your entire psychology is the reason they're "inferior" in a fight. You tell someone that no matter what, they can't beat up X, they will live their life in fear of X, and others like them will also come across as "inferior" to X. Self. Fulfilling. Prophecy.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Diablo-B
[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]Its sexist to feel different to seeing violence towards women than men. You are innately belittling women as being inferior and in need of protecting.AmazonTreeBoa

You shouldnt like to see a guy hit a girl, nor should you see a guy hit a guy or a girl hit a guy. On a side note, you probably haven't seen a lot of black girls fight. They can hold their own. I can't speak to the fighting skills of white girls since I have never seen that in person.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44662 Posts
depends on circumstances, but generally yes, I guess there'd be situations where I wouldn't feel different about it either way
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Yes
nomsayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nomsayin
Member since 2013 • 1346 Posts

Yeah. Male on female violence is generally a lot worse than male on male violence. 

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

I agree with this. I think women deserve equal protection under the law and all that, but I still think there's a physiological difference between men and women and that a man who physically accosts a woman is doing something more egregious than attacking another man.

Call me sexist, old fashoined, whatever...I don't really care.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
[QUOTE="majwill24"]

StankyLanky
Can you imagine how much better things would be if we took a second to realize that the world's strongest man would get his ass kicked by Anderson Silva, ergo strength =/= fighting skill, ergo we should stop pounding it into people's heads that women being weaker than men means anything? Male-on-female violence is so rampant because we've instilled a sense of dominance in one and straight up fear in the other when it comes to hostile interaction. We've given men the psychological edge, and that's all they need. If women were taught "hey, you see that spot on his chin? **** hit him there" the numbers would look very differently, and you wouldn't have made this thread because you wouldn't see women as automatically being inferior in a fight against a man.

Most people aren't trained fighters.
Amvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Amvis
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="Diablo-B"]Its sexist to feel different to seeing violence towards women than men. You are innately belittling women as being inferior and in need of protecting.Diablo-B

You shouldnt like to see a guy hit a girl, nor should you see a guy hit a guy or a girl hit a guy. On a side note, you probably haven't seen a lot of black girls fight. They can hold their own. I can't speak to the fighting skills of white girls since I have never seen that in person.

Saw black girls fight at least once a week in high school. It was very cool to watch. Some of them could have probably whooped me too lol. They are some vicious fighters, trained or untrained.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

[QUOTE="Diablo-B"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Call it what you want, but I still don't like seeing a guy hit a girl. If that makes me a sexiest in your eyes, then so be it. Also seeing girls beat up all the time from a man makes it pretty clear that when it comes to fighting, the average girl is inferior to the average man and do need protection.Amvis

Saw black girls fight at least once a week in high school. It was very cool to watch. Some of them could have probably whooped me too lol. They are some vicious fighters, trained or untrained.

I've seen plenty (both black and white)...mostly consists of flailing wildly, pulling hair, screaming, ripping each others shirts, and crap like that. Not impressed, though the shirt ripping was entertaining.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58489 Posts

used to, then I realised what bitches women can be, and what mind games they can play.  Whatever physical abuse a man can put on a woman, a woman can dish it out tenfold on a man in mental anguish.  Not to mention the law is skewed in their favor.

The exception is, of course, spousal abuse, rape, etc.  That is generally horrible.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
It's not the gender that gets to me, it's the difference in strength that bothers me. People who attack those weaker than themselves are pathetic.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58489 Posts

It's not the gender that gets to me, it's the difference in strength that bothers me. People who attack those weaker than themselves are pathetic.Sword-Demon

yeah this kind of sums it up nicely.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

More often than not.

It doesn't really have to do with the women themselves, it has more to do with domestic violence, which I think is much worse than random criminal violence, because domestic violence pins people into a psycological corner. It just happens that women are on usually the recieving end of it.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#36 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Gender doesn't matter; crime against anyone is bad enough, crime against those who are less able to defend themselves is awful. 

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AmazonTreeBoa
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="Diablo-B"]Its sexist to feel different to seeing violence towards women than men. You are innately belittling women as being inferior and in need of protecting.Diablo-B

I grew up in a black neighborhood. Black girls don't fight any better or worse that a white girl and to think any differently is sheer ignorance.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
In general, both forms of violence bother me.
Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
Yes, but it's mainly because I have some personal experience dealing with man-on-woman domestic abuse that skews my feelings. I don't tolerate violence in any form.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Diablo-B
[QUOTE="Diablo-B"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Call it what you want, but I still don't like seeing a guy hit a girl. If that makes me a sexiest in your eyes, then so be it. Also seeing girls beat up all the time from a man makes it pretty clear that when it comes to fighting, the average girl is inferior to the average man and do need protection.AmazonTreeBoa

I grew up in a black neighborhood. Black girls don't fight any better or worse that a white girl and to think any differently is sheer ignorance.

Like I said, Ive never seen a white girl fight in person so I'll take your word for it. But I have seen the girls around me beating the snot out of guys on a regular basis. Don't just assume someone can't fight cause she is a girl
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
It does bother me more, though yes I agree the double standard is wrong. It's not automatically dishonourable for a man to hit a woman, but it is always dishonourable to hit a weaker opponent who can't fight back (or someone who simply refuses to fight back no matter how strong they are). Generally men are stronger and more aggressive, but that's not always the case. If I saw a guy hit a woman half his size who was never going to hit back I'd be livid. But really I should be just as livid if the genders were reversed.
dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

Not really, I enjoy violent actions against both sexes.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AmazonTreeBoa
[QUOTE="Diablo-B"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="Diablo-B"] You shouldnt like to see a guy hit a girl, nor should you see a guy hit a guy or a girl hit a guy. On a side note, you probably haven't seen a lot of black girls fight. They can hold their own. I can't speak to the fighting skills of white girls since I have never seen that in person.

Like I said, Ive never seen a white girl fight in person so I'll take your word for it. But I have seen the girls around me beating the snot out of guys on a regular basis. Don't just assume someone can't fight cause she is a girl

What part of "average" did you not grasp? I never said there was no girl out there that could beat a guy. I said the average girl is inferior to the average guy when it comes to fighting. This isn't my opinion, this is fact.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

If the woman did something to provoke her attacker, no. There are women who will use their gender as a shield to provoke men with the expectation that men will not fight back. Such women disgust me.

dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dude_brahmski
Member since 2013 • 472 Posts

Yes, it does. It probably shouldn't, but it's not a conscious thing I have control over.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

In general, both forms of violence bother me.ghoklebutter

Good answer, I'll go with that as well.

Also, it's the degree of the violent act that was perpetrated on the the individual that bothers me, not the gender of the victim.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

No.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Yes, but that's likely due to me being raised to not strike girls even if they strike first and a overall personal view of women being different, Note not inferior nor superior but simply different from males. There's also most likely a sense of primal protective behaviour in play that makes me react stronger to watching a woman get hit then another man. Maybe some will call it sexist, for some obscure reason, but that's just the way I am.
MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts
it drives me crazy the whole "you never hit a woman" shit... how bout you just don't hit anyone? it also gives woman this false sense that they can just treat anyone however they want. like this video i saw where a couple college kids where doing a questionnaire and then someone would put mistletoe over the person asking questions with a fishing pole ... this girl just slaps the guy as hard as she could and he did nothing and everyone just starts laughing... if the roles where reversed everyone in that room would attack the guy and he would go to jail. violence is just not cool regardless of who the victim is.
Dr-Gentlemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dr-Gentlemen
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts
Nope, when a man gets violently killed, friend of that man will most likely do violence back if they know who or the group that did it. While women do the same thing, not often as much. A lot of innocents get killed in shoot outs.