Does the 2nd amendment really prevent tyranny?

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

With all this talk and gun control proposals Obama is going to put in place with executive order, do civilian ownership of guns really prevent the government from becoming a tyrant? An example would be during WW2, when innocent Japanese civilians were put in isolated camps, while at the same time Japanese soldiers fought for America. The patriot act takes away a lot of our privacy, etc. Civilians wouldn't be able to fight the government head on but people can do what the insurgents in Iraq do. So does gun ownership really prevent tyranny?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
What we have is an apathy and ignorance problem
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

No

Look at japan, no guns yet there's no tyranical gov't same with the U.K.

It's almost as though there's a logical pattern that escapes gun crazies....

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

With all this talk and gun control proposals Obama is going to put in place with executive order, do civilian ownership of guns really prevent the government from becoming a tyrant? An example would be during WW2, when innocent Japanese civilians were put in isolated camps, while at the same time Japanese soldiers fought for America. The patriot act takes away a lot of our privacy, etc. Civilians wouldn't be able to fight the government head on but people can do what the insurgents in Iraq do. So does gun ownership really prevent tyranny?

LegitGamer3212

yes it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5ut6yPrObw

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
No. I the government wanted to, they can destroy us with or without the 2nd Amendment. Gun nuts act like they have gunships in their backyards.
Shadow_Fighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shadow_Fighter
Member since 2006 • 223 Posts

It would give people a better chance fighting against a tyranical government. The people who says the military would easily destroy an uprising fail to realize the type of fighitng that would go on would be urban/guerrilla warfare where many of the advantages of the military has, like heavy armor, airpower, artillery, etc would be effectively nullified. History has shown that heavy armor performs extremely poorly in urban enviroments and the government isn't even willing to truely bombard foreign cities so there is no chance they would be bombing American cities with bombers or artillery.

This is not saying that an uprising would be easy with the second admentment because civilians generally lack training and discipline and at the start would generaly have to rely on numbers till experience is gained, but it would be far easier with the second admentment intact then without it.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MetalDogGear
Member since 2013 • 825 Posts
Lol. Where is this wide-scale tyranny you people keep talking about You all read too much and think too little. First of all, a wide-scale civilian man-on-man neighbor-on-neighbor war is highly implausible. You're talking about soldiers fighting soldiers and civilians. You're talking about police officers shooting the people down. You're talking about martial law and possible airstrikes. Cities on lockdown. Phones tapped, emails monitored Take off your Orwellian goggles for a bit bro. They're cutting the circulation off to your brain
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

It depends on the situation.

You have to be naive to believe that your guns are going to stop the government but also ignorant if you believe that our armies can simply annihilate a part of its population and actually win. Everyone is ignoring history here.

That said, our government is too incompetent which is actually our benefit in an odd way. As Americans, we should be concerned about the infringement of all our rights and not just the Second Amendment.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
"without this gun, the king of england could come in here anytime and start pushing you around"
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Nope. Look at all the countries that have a mere fraction of America's guns per capita and notice that a huge number of them aren't tyrannical. Winning rebellions requires a lot of popular and military support and a high level of organization, and in many cases foreign support.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Ever since I bought a gun, there have been zero redcoats forcibly entering my home. You can't argue with those results.

KingKinect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 KingKinect
Member since 2012 • 548 Posts

Your founding fathers thought it did and I don't think it could hurt. An armed population is obviously more capable of defending itself than an unarmed one. Where I live I'm not even allowed to own a crossbow for the purpose of self defence much less a gun :(

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Look at japan, no guns yet there's no tyranical gov't

MakeMeaSammitch

I don't think that we should necessarily applaud countries simply for going a couple generations without an authoritarian goverment.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

No, of course not. That doesn't mean the federal government can suddenly regulate what firearms I want to buy. My state doesn't have a problem with violence despite having plenty of guns. I don't believe that bureaucrats and politicansin Washington should delegate how many and what firearms I can buy. I'm sure if any gun bans do pass they'll sneak in an exception for the bodyguards that follow them around.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts

Ever since I bought a gun, there have been zero redcoats forcibly entering my home. You can't argue with those results.

Oleg_Huzwog
Did them redcoats enter your home pre-gun ownership?
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

CRS98

I never bothered counting the exact number of times they entered pre-gun ownership. That info doesn't seem relevant. The important thing is the number after, which is zero. Don't tread on me!

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

No

MakeMeaSammitch

They have no guns because in 1945 the US stripped them of all weapons and locked down the internal manufacturing of weapons as well as the importation of weapons through their ports.

Dozen years of occupation forces usually do that to a nation. Last time they had gun they kind of tried to conquer all of Southeast Asia.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

No only conspiracy theorists think that.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

The notion that it can actually prevent tyranny in the US in this day and age is severely outdated.

Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

[QUOTE="CRS98"][QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

Oleg_Huzwog

I never bothered counting the exact number of times they entered pre-gun ownership. That info doesn't seem relevant. The important thing is the number after, which is zero. Don't tread on me!

Maybe they decided to wear different colored coats now.

Betcha didn't think of that!

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="CRS98"] Did them redcoats enter your home pre-gun ownership?CycleOfViolence

Maybe they decided to wear different colored coats now.

Betcha didn't think of that!

Hmmm... you're right, I did not think of that. Perhaps the tyranny is still here? I shall investigate. In the meantime, I'm open to suggestions on how to prevent tyranny from alternative color coats.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

No.

Guns may be useful in certain unexpected crises, but government tyranny is not one of them.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Most of us are coming from a priveleged perspective where we're living in pretty good times relatively.

No, we don't have a tyrannical government right now, although some may argue we're slowly but surely headed in that direction. Abject apathy is a mistake we can only afford to make once. The 2nd amendment is our last ditch insurance policy in the off chance it really does happen. Take that away and we remove whatever safety net we have, as neutered as that safety net has become over the centuries.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
[QUOTE="MgamerBD"]No. I the government wanted to, they can destroy us with or without the 2nd Amendment. Gun nuts act like they have gunships in their backyards.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BossPerson

Look at Libya. Where would they be without air support?

Syria now, the opposition can't win without at the very least, anti-aircraft weapons.

Do you suggest we allow people to buy rocket launchers

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Sun_Tzu-

Most of us are coming from a priveleged perspective where we're living in pretty good times relatively.

No, we don't have a tyrannical government right now, although some may argue we're slowly but surely headed in that direction. Abject apathy is a mistake we can only afford to make once. The 2nd amendment is our last ditch insurance policy in the off chance it really does happen. Take that away and we remove whatever safety net we have, as neutered as that safety net has become over the centuries.

VoodooHak
So aspiring freedom fighters wouldn't be able to get their hands on guns without the second amendment?
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I present to you The Battle Of Athens.

Umm...Ten....Tennessee.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts

Umm...Ten....Tennessee.

br0kenrabbit
You're missing the point a bit. The point is that technological developments mean that, unless you arm ordinary citizens with tanks and fighter jets, it doesn't matter what guns you give them. The technological superiority of the U.S. military makes the idea that giving people access to any gun they want is IRRELEVANT in terms of it being an effective deterrent against government tyranny. Put more bluntly: Arm 10,000 people with assault rifles capable of shooting 950 rounds per minute if you want. It won't make a difference if someone carpet bombs your ass.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Umm...Ten....Tennessee.

nocoolnamejim

You're missing the point a bit. The point is that technological developments mean that, unless you arm ordinary citizens with tanks and fighter jets, it doesn't matter what guns you give them. The technological superiority of the U.S. military makes the idea that giving people access to any gun they want is IRRELEVANT in terms of it being an effective deterrent against government tyranny. Put more bluntly: Arm 10,000 people with assault rifles capable of shooting 950 rounds per minute if you want. It won't make a difference if someone carpet bombs your ass.

Think about it...those fighter pilots and tank commanders...what do you think they're going to do if their SO says "go bomb New York"?

Do you really think they would?

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Umm...Ten....Tennessee.

br0kenrabbit

Think about it...those fighter pilots and tank commanders...what do you think they're going to do if their SO says "go bomb New York"?

If New York was taken over by terrorists I don't see why they wouldn't.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nocoolnamejim

Umm...Ten....Tennessee.

br0kenrabbit

In which case it would be moral objections that prevent tyranny and not guns right? But in answer to your question, military is trained to obey. We've carpet bombed plenty of brown people in the past. But even if they were inclined do disobey... If there was ever ACTUALLY a serious second civil war, and if the federal government ever actually was tyrannical, then HELL YES that bombing would get carried out. Tyrants don't actually accept "Dude, I don't feel right about this" as an excuse for not doing something. That particular fighter pilot doesn't feel like bombing New York? Shoot him in the head after raping and killing his family in front of him. Have a few other fighter pilots watch. Want to make a bet on whether the next guy up says "no" to the order in question? True tyrants don't ask for permission and don't take no for an answer. Which means that, again, having any gun you damn well please wouldn't mean **** in the modern era.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MetalDogGear
Member since 2013 • 825 Posts

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

No

Wasdie

They have no guns because in 1945 the US stripped them of all weapons and locked down the internal manufacturing of weapons as well as the importation of weapons through their ports.

Dozen years of occupation forces usually do that to a nation. Last time they had gun they kind of tried to conquer all of Southeast Asia.

To be honest though, if I was japanese, I'd try to conquer the chinese.
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 UnknownSniper65

I'd like to point out that the New York actually proves the "slippery slope" theory.

• ORIGINAL NY LAW: Assault Weapons Ban + 10rd Magazine Limit
  • NEW NY LAW: Harsher Assault Weapons Ban, firearms permit recertification every five years, Ammunition sales monitored, Manditory registration of grandfathered weapons and a 7rd Magazine Limit.

For some reason I highly doubt the politicans in New York will sit back and consider it a job well done. Eventually there will be a complete semi-automatic ban in that state.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nocoolnamejim

I'd like to point out that the New York actually proves the "slippery slope" theory.

• NEW NY LAW: Harsher Assault Weapons Ban, firearms permit recertification every five years, Ammunition sales monitored, Manditory registration of grandfathered weapons and a 7rd Magazine Limit.

For some reason I highly doubt the politicans in New York will sit back and consider it a job well done. Eventually there will be a complete semi-automatic ban in that state.

UnknownSniper65
The horror...
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MgamerBD

Umm...Ten....Tennessee.

br0kenrabbit

Yeah. You just have to change the terms. "Rebels", "Charlie", "terrorists" you underestimate the power of the military and the way they use words to dehumanize the enemy.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MgamerBD

UnknownSniper65
Omg. You mean people have to get tested to prove their sanity every five years now? Or that they will monitor how much ammunition you need? Whatever will we do with these safer laws which will decrease the chance for another mass shooting. :roll:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

UnknownSniper65

None of that sounds bad.

UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 UnknownSniper65

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

nocoolnamejim

The horror...

I don't like those laws, which is why I don't live in New York. The only reason to register firearms is to make them easier to take away. The magazines limits are purely arbitary numbers. Do those 3 rounds in a magazine really make a huge difference? Gun control groups are playing a political game of inches. They realize eventually every inch they gain on the issue is going to add up.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

Aljosa23

None of that sounds bad.

We have a right to bear arms. You shouldn't need a permit recertificiation to renew your constitutional rights.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 br0kenrabbit

In which case it would be moral objections that prevent tyranny and not guns right? But in answer to your question, military is trained to obey. We've carpet bombed plenty of brown people in the past. But even if they were inclined do disobey... If there was ever ACTUALLY a serious second civil war, and if the federal government ever actually was tyrannical, then HELL YES that bombing would get carried out. Tyrants don't actually accept "Dude, I don't feel right about this" as an excuse for not doing something. That particular fighter pilot doesn't feel like bombing New York? Shoot him in the head after raping and killing his family in front of him. Have a few other fighter pilots watch. Want to make a bet on whether the next guy up says "no" to the order in question? True tyrants don't ask for permission and don't take no for an answer. Which means that, again, having any gun you damn well please wouldn't mean **** in the modern era.nocoolnamejim

After the difficulties we've had in 'backwater nations' the past decade, I don't see how anything short of a nuclear attack would pacify an uprisen American populace. You think a few insurgents with IEDs are difficult, just wait till every Bob, Tom and Joe are sniping from their front porches, or wherever you go to eat, or worship, or work, or whatever.

There's a difference between fighting an enemy a world away, and living among him.

UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 UnknownSniper65

MgamerBD

Omg. You mean people have to get tested to prove their sanity every five years now? Or that they will monitor how much ammunition you need? Whatever will we do with these safer laws which will decrease the chance for another mass shooting. :roll:

They don't decrease the chance of another mass shooting one bit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Laihendi

None of that sounds bad.

We have a right to bear arms. You shouldn't need a permit recertificiation to renew your constitutional rights.

Well I guess you do need one now.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] In which case it would be moral objections that prevent tyranny and not guns right? But in answer to your question, military is trained to obey. We've carpet bombed plenty of brown people in the past. But even if they were inclined do disobey... If there was ever ACTUALLY a serious second civil war, and if the federal government ever actually was tyrannical, then HELL YES that bombing would get carried out. Tyrants don't actually accept "Dude, I don't feel right about this" as an excuse for not doing something. That particular fighter pilot doesn't feel like bombing New York? Shoot him in the head after raping and killing his family in front of him. Have a few other fighter pilots watch. Want to make a bet on whether the next guy up says "no" to the order in question? True tyrants don't ask for permission and don't take no for an answer. Which means that, again, having any gun you damn well please wouldn't mean **** in the modern era.br0kenrabbit

After the difficulties we've had in 'backwater nations' the past decade, I don't see how anything short of a nuclear attack would pacify an uprisen American populace. You think a few insurgents with IEDs are difficult, just wait till every Bob, Tom and Joe are sniping from their front porches, or wherever you go to eat, or worship, or work, or whatever.

There's a difference between fighting an enemy a world away, and living among him.

Very true, which is why it's unwise to judge the US government's ability to stifle a domestic armed uprising based on its ability to do the same on the other side of the globe.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#44 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

An armed population is certainly more dangerous than an unarmed one. Not sure what the argument is there.

Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kamekazi_69
Member since 2006 • 4704 Posts

Yes it does, history has shown us time and time again what happens when weapons are given to a sole power of rule

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

An armed population is certainly more dangerous than an unarmed one. Not sure what the argument is there.

sonicare

People are saying it won't make a difference one way or the other, which I think couldn't be further from the truth.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BossPerson

You know it would be fun to see a bunch of white people in the suburbs trying to fight the army

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]None of that sounds bad.

Aljosa23

Maybe we should just rename the "Bill of Rights" to the "Bill of Privileges that You Must Renew Your Permit for Every 5 Years".
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] We have a right to bear arms. You shouldn't need a permit recertificiation to renew your constitutional rights.Laihendi

Maybe we should just rename the "Bill of Rights" to the "Bill of Privileges that You Must Renew Your Permit for Every 5 Years".

That's fine with me
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

UnknownSniper65

The horror...

I don't like those laws, which is why I don't live in New York. The only reason to register firearms is to make them easier to take away. The magazines limits are purely arbitary numbers. Do those 3 rounds in a magazine really make a huge difference? Gun control groups are playing a political game of inches. They realize eventually every inch they gain on the issue is going to add up.

The ONLY reason to register firearms is to make them easier to take away? There's no other possible reason why someone would want to make people do that?