Does it bother you that pastors are loaded and living large?

Posted by mrduckbears3 (133 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Does it bother you that pastors are loaded and living large? (20 votes)

No. Religion shouldn't be taxed and they can do whatever they want with the donated money. They earned it 30%
Yes. Why should they be tax exempt when there's a growing athiest population? Tax These Cheats! 70%

I'm sure you know already that pastors and priests are one of the most richest people in the world..thanks to a tax-free money charity lifestyle thanks to die hard christians who think they're god's messengers and that makes them somehow bigger than them.

But does it bother you that these people are living large?

Here's an example of how they are living thanks to the government letting them off

#1 Posted by ferrari2001 (17316 posts) -

First off the pastors pay taxes. The church institution is tax free but the individuals employees of that institution pay taxes just like anyone else. In fact those mega church pastors likely pay a large amount of taxes every year. Secondly, most pastors live on only a small income every year. It's usually only the pastors of mega churches that can afford those kind of luxuries. Why people attend churches where the pastors flaunt huge estates and fancy cars I will never know. It's the people of the church that afford them that luxury and if they are ok with it then who am I to argue?

#2 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

For a pastor to be rich off of the donations of church members is antithetical to what Jesus preached. He'd be livid over this. Recall when he entered the Temple of Jerusalem and knocked over the tables of the "money changers" who were selling animals for sacrifice; he was strongly against using religion for profit.

#3 Posted by thegerg (16060 posts) -

no

#4 Posted by Master_Live (15832 posts) -

Amen.

#5 Edited by foxhound_fox (90820 posts) -

No, because most aren't like that. Only those who own megachurches and televangelist shows.

#6 Posted by Korvus (8117 posts) -

They're not getting any of my money, so I don't really care how they live =P

#7 Posted by plageus900 (1295 posts) -

That's weird OP, because every pastor I've ever met is barely scraping by.

#8 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (985 posts) -

No problem.

If you do have a problem, you should blame the people who voluntarily gave them their money.

#9 Posted by thegerg (16060 posts) -

I'm not sure where you live, but here in the US clergymen pay taxes.

#10 Edited by lamprey263 (25614 posts) -

yes, in more ways than one...

Loading Video...

I mean, religious institution and individuals use their religious status to get $70-80 billion in tax breaks per year, they could quadruple NASA's budget with that kind of money.

#11 Edited by elkoldo (1548 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

lol Around here ,the preachers and the clergy are the wealthiest.You don't have the faintest f***ing idea what the f is going are here in the name of God !

#12 Edited by joehult (382 posts) -

The pastors may be taxed, but I guarantee the "church" is the one buying those houses, paying for the pastors meals, and sending him on business trips to some tropical island.

#13 Edited by thegerg (16060 posts) -

@joehult said:

The pastors may be taxed, but I guarantee the "church" is the one buying those houses, paying for the pastors meals, and sending him on business trips to some tropical island.

A friend of mine is a pastor. The church certainly isn't paying for his meals, house, or vacation. Your word doesn't seem to be worth shit.

Ignorance FTL.

#14 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (1000 posts) -

I have 1 uncle who is a pastor and 1 uncle who used to be one. Both don't have mansions and work for their money. One owns a contractor business in Nicaragua and the other is a manager for a parking lot in the Civic Center in San Francisco. Does it bother you that they don't have mansions like the pastors on tv do?

#15 Edited by Storm_Marine (12138 posts) -

"pastors and priests are among the richest people in the world".

Ha ha. No.

#16 Posted by mindstorm (15250 posts) -

This is a blanketing statement that is largely untrue. Most of the pastors I know are overworked and underpaid. Many of them have to work a second job just to make ends meet.

My desire is to become a pastor myself. I expect to make less than the median income of my congregation at most. In fact, I am currently looking at becoming the college and career pastor of a church on purely voluntary basis.

#17 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

Yeah same here.

#18 Posted by plageus900 (1295 posts) -

@elkoldo said:

@plageus900 said:

lol Around here ,the preachers and the clergy are the wealthiest.You don't have the faintest f***ing idea what the f is going are here in the name of God !

wut

#19 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4598 posts) -

mega churches should have to pay taxes.

#20 Posted by joehult (382 posts) -

Up here in the Bakken oil field, even the Lutherans have stadium churches, and I'm pretty sure the baptists can host nfl games! Then you have all the nondenominational churches that are basically started and ran by one guy, so no one has the authority to check their books.

I agree a minister at a traditional church is far from rich, but in this day and age, there are far more non traditionals, especially outside the northeast(the catholic and Jewish strongholds).

#21 Posted by hippiesanta (9992 posts) -

take note confuse people ............ priest are not pastor

#22 Posted by stizzal13 (609 posts) -

@mrduckbears3

OP, you should read to this web page.

#23 Posted by always_explicit (3098 posts) -

Well I believe religion is one of the greatest tricks ever to be played on humanity so no...it doesnt surprise me that people make money out of those who buy into it.

A devotion to God shouldnt cost you a penny...

#24 Posted by comp_atkins (32037 posts) -

they're a reflection of god's glory. how else can a person tell how wonderful god is unless his chosen messenger is driving a phantom?

#25 Posted by shellcase86 (2077 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

For a pastor to be rich off of the donations of church members is antithetical to what Jesus preached. He'd be livid over this. Recall when he entered the Temple of Jerusalem and knocked over the tables of the "money changers" who were selling animals for sacrifice; he was strongly against using religion for profit.

Good point.

#26 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17579 posts) -

The priest of the church my family goes to lives in a quaint little house by the church and drives a non-turbo Subaru. At least the house isn't prefab. He doesn't look like he's living it up. Of course, he has plenty of booze and bread to feast on....when no one's looking.

#27 Posted by JimB (358 posts) -

You should be more concerned about your politicians.

#28 Posted by GamingGod999 (3134 posts) -

Having a rich pastor would be a big contradiction of the Bible.

#29 Posted by collegeboy64 (1671 posts) -

I have far less concern about rich pastors than I do about all the politicians that enter office as middle class, but leave office as millionaires or billionaires.

No pastor I know of in the USA has a police force, or an IRS, or an FBI that can enforce their will upon me.

Politicians wield the police power of government and use it to enrich themselves.

#30 Posted by lostrib (42855 posts) -

please provide your sources for this crap

#31 Edited by Riverwolf007 (24189 posts) -

the pastors in my area are not that rich.

hell most of the time they are down near the park doing their best to make some petty cash.

i guess they are asking for donations, i always see them going into the restrooms with men and coming out with change and small bills in their hands.

#32 Posted by GreySeal9 (25127 posts) -

@lostrib said:

please provide your sources for this crap

lol, consider who the TC is. You're not getting sources from him. He NEVER provides sources and never will.

#33 Edited by Riverwolf007 (24189 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

typical unemployed hippy.

#34 Posted by nomsayin (1346 posts) -

Not all pastors are like that.

#35 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28513 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

the op is taking a few examples and using them as a norm much like foxnews, he's also lying so what can one expect?

The Lutheran church which I was baptized in the current pastor makes 20k dollars a year...that's it.

#36 Edited by TheFlush (5670 posts) -

They're living like Jesus did, living large baby! Spending dem moneys.