Does God command what is good because it is good?

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts

Or is it good because God commands it?

If you do not believe in God, then for the sake of discussion assume that if God existed he would be all-loving.

I have gone back and forth on this issue. For a long time I believed that God commanded what was good because it was good, but this view does seem to limit what God is. Now I am more of the persuasion that is not a question at all because God and the good are so intrinsically one and the same, and therefore the highest good is God, so he commands what is his nature. It is neither more good before or after he commands it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

If God is the source of anything but "the good" than anything he commands could be either good or bad.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

If there is a God; if there is such a thing as a "good" action in an objective sense; and if God commands us to do all that which is good, then I cannot imagine anything but that being because it is good. Otherwise, one would necessarily have to accept the idea that wanton murder would become good if God so chose to command us to do so. Of course, one could say, "God would never do that; that is an evil action," but this is an implicit affirmation that an action is good or evil external to whether or not God commands us to do it.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#4 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I would say goodness is built into the concept of God... I wouldn't say it's a limit on God that he is necessarily good and therefore only commands that which is good.
allnamestaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 allnamestaken
Member since 2003 • 6618 Posts

If there is a God; if there is such a thing as a "good" action in an objective sense; and if God commands us to do all that which is good, then I cannot imagine anything but that being because it is good. Otherwise, one would necessarily have to accept the idea that wanton murder would become good if God so chose to command us to do so. Of course, one could say, "God would never do that; that is an evil action," but this is an implicit affirmation that an action is good or evil external to whether or not God commands us to do it.

GabuEx

Someone took Philosophy.

I guess the problem with this question is the notion that God commands every action. We cannot possibly answer whether or not God commands anything good or evil with out first knowing what an external God is. I say external because, and I'm just recalling from memory, recent brain research suggests, thoughts of God are really just empathic impulses to the world around us, which some symbolize through a God figure.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Christian God is meant to be the ultimate good even though in certain stories he shows that good is not nice... If there is a real God I would consider him true neutral. He created everything which means he created all the bad and all the good and is also unwilling to assist us even in our times of greatest need. He probably has a completely different idea on morality than we do as well and thus good probably means nothing to him.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

Perhaps you should read the Old Testament if you think "God" commanded things because they were good.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I don't agree with an argument that something is good merely because God commands it. But I also don't agree with an argument of inherent good that God follows because it begs the question of what the source of that 'good' is. The closest thing I've seen to a true objective measure of 'good' is in Kant's categorical imperative, but even that I don't think suffices. It's part of why I don't agree with the notion of objective morality.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I've heard the argument that God's commands reflect his nature. So God commands what is accordance with his nature and that is what we call good.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GabuEx

I think this could be seen in another light, as well: if an action is good because God commands it, then what does it mean for an action to be "good"? If an action is good implies that God commanded it, then all that one has done is define "good" to be "that which God commands". In this light, saying "God commands that which is good" is saying nothing more than "God commands that which God commands", which is obviously a meaningless tautology. Such a view effectively affirms the nonexistence of an objective morality, in fact: nothing is "good" in the abstract; there is only that which God does or does not command.

yucky_straw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yucky_straw
Member since 2007 • 1225 Posts

There is nothing in the bible that suggests that god commands good actions from people since man has been given free will. A Christian would argue that people perform acts of good because we are created in god's image. I would argue that if you are going to give god credit for everything that is 'good' then he must also be responsible for every 'bad' or 'evil'. You might argue that satan is responsible for everything evil. Well, if god is all knowing he must have known when he created the universe that he was creating a universe full of evil and suffering. If he is all powerful then he should have the power to stop what is evil.

Good and evil are relative points of view that come from humans. What one person sees as good another person may not. The idea of a god is a horrible idea. To believe that there is a god watching us, supervising us, commanding us, judging us, is to believe that we are abject slaves. It means that we never have a private moment to ourselves. It means that every thought that comes from your head is being judged.It's an immoral belief. It's a belief that says we must love this dictator but also fear him. It is a master/slave relationship. It is Sadomasochism. If we are going to progress as a species, we really need to grow up out of this someday, you know.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

GabuEx
I understand the ramifications of such thoughts but I believe "good" is because God commands it... Thus any action God asks of us is by nature good.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

jeremiah06

I understand the ramifications of such thoughts but I believe "good" is because God commands it... Thus any action God asks of us is by nature good.

Then, as I said, what if God commanded us to commit wanton murder?

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Ah yes, the Eythyphro dilemma. Anyway, I'm not sure that the question is philosophically answerable, even presupposing a God and objective morality exist.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#16 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

Or is it good because God commands it?

If you do not believe in God, then for the sake of discussion assume that if God existed he would be all-loving.

I have gone back and forth on this issue. For a long time I believed that God commanded what was good because it was good, but this view does seem to limit what God is. Now I am more of the persuasion that is not a question at all because God and the good are so intrinsically one and the same, and therefore the highest good is God, so he commands what is his nature. It is neither more good before or after he commands it.

Acemaster27
well imo, God can make actions basing on 2 things: approval, which is letting something happen, this doesnt necessarily means it will be something that most people (or anyone) will see as a good action and then theres the actual Good action, which could be called "God's will"
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
 I sense a heated religious debate coming
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

Assuming that God exists, and that what he commands us to do is always morally "good," (irrespective of whether they are good because he commands them or because they by mere correlation are moral) then yes.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#19 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

My favorite God is a wrathful one.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"] I understand the ramifications of such thoughts but I believe "good" is because God commands it... Thus any action God asks of us is by nature good.coolbeans90

Assuming that God exists, and that what he commands us to do is always morally "good," (irrespective of whether they are good because he commands them or because they by mere correlation are moral) then yes.

The question was not so much asking "Would it be morally good, assuming that anything God commands is morally good?" - that much is obvious - but rather asking what he would do about it if God were to command that.

coltgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 coltgames
Member since 2009 • 2120 Posts
[QUOTE="yucky_straw"]

There is nothing in the bible that suggests that god commands good actions from people since man has been given free will. A Christian would argue that people perform acts of good because we are created in god's image. I would argue that if you are going to give god credit for everything that is 'good' then he must also be responsible for every 'bad' or 'evil'. You might argue that satan is responsible for everything evil. Well, if god is all knowing he must have known when he created the universe that he was creating a universe full of evil and suffering. If he is all powerful then he should have the power to stop what is evil.

Good and evil are relative points of view that come from humans. What one person sees as good another person may not. The idea of a god is a horrible idea. To believe that there is a god watching us, supervising us, commanding us, judging us, is to believe that we are abject slaves. It means that we never have a private moment to ourselves. It means that every thought that comes from your head is being judged.It's an immoral belief. It's a belief that says we must love this dictator but also fear him. It is a master/slave relationship. It is Sadomasochism. If we are going to progress as a species, we really need to grow up out of this someday, you know.

im going to assume u are a atheist
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

The question was not so much asking "Would it be morally good, assuming that anything God commands is morally good?" - that much is obvious - but rather asking what he would do about it if God were to command that.

Well, that would answer more about his opinion of said definition of "good" than anything regarding the Euthyphro dilemma.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

God don't command s***.

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts
what is piety? that of the good? oh geez, im not going into this debate again lol...... and uh ya assuming god is pure, what he like is of the goodness, thus is good.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

Well, that would answer more about his opinion of said definition of "good" than anything regarding the Euthyphro dilemma.

Considering that the Euthyphro dilemma is basically as a whole a covert question about the definition of "good", that doesn't seem too off-topic to me. :P

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#26 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

people create what is good, and to even add more POWER to these people want they use word of God in it name to get what they want.

But

it's truely you who says it's good or not.

Is it really that hard to understand stealing objects or soul's from soemone else is wrong?

is it really hard to understand your own feeling and not someone else?

live your life by what you truely believe is right and wrong and not someone else. Please you do your self a favor and others

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jeremiah06

GabuEx

It's the right thing to do then... However, as a followers of God we have faith that God would never command such a thing...
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"] I understand the ramifications of such thoughts but I believe "good" is because God commands it... Thus any action God asks of us is by nature good.jeremiah06

It's the right thing to do then... However, as a followers of God we have faith that God would never command such a thing...

So this begs the question:

Is god perfect?

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"] I understand the ramifications of such thoughts but I believe "good" is because God commands it... Thus any action God asks of us is by nature good.jeremiah06

But that only works if you assume "good" to be external of God.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

If anything and everything can be arbitrarily good simply because God said so, then why would God not command such a thing?

And along those same lines, why would you hope that God does not command such a thing? Surely if God did command it, then it would be good to do it, and you could then celebrate carrying out God's will just as much as today, no?

cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#31 cheezisgoooood
Member since 2004 • 6130 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

But what if you're part of a religion that believes God WOULD and SHOULD command such a thing...then you've got a great case against religion. At this point it just becomes an argument of whether it's possible that religion actually makes normal, decent people do things you would not normally do out of common decency.

I heard a great quote once and it went something like this: "good people do good things, bad people do bad things, but for a good person to do a bad thing, it takes religion."

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jeremiah06

GabuEx

If anything and everything can be arbitrarily good simply because God said so, then why would God not command such a thing?

And along those same lines, why would you hope that God does not command such a thing? Surely if God did command it, then it would be good to do it, and you could then celebrate carrying out God's will just as much as today, no?

Not really if you see God as outside of time... God already defined what his commands of good and evil are... Making murder a sin then commanding I commit murder is contradictory and thus is impossible.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"] It's the right thing to do then... However, as a followers of God we have faith that God would never command such a thing... jeremiah06

Not really if you see God as outside of time... God already defined what his commands of good and evil are... Making murder a sin then commanding I commit murder is contradictory and thus is impossible.

Certainly, God is outside of time, but surely God is capable of deciding that after this particular point in what we perceive as time, murder is now morally proper, and surely that would be good for him to do, since he is God. On what basis would God be restrained from doing so, if indeed everything he does is good by virtue of his having done it?

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jeremiah06

cheezisgoooood

But what if you're part of a religion that believes God WOULD and SHOULD command such a thing...then you've got a great case against religion. At this point it just becomes an argument of whether it's possible that religion actually makes normal, decent people do things you would not normally do out of common decency.

I heard a great quote once and it went something like this: "good people do good things, bad people do bad things, but for a good person to do a bad thing, it takes religion."

Faithful != mindless being a sane good willed person I wouldn't go murder mass people...
cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#36 cheezisgoooood
Member since 2004 • 6130 Posts

[QUOTE="cheezisgoooood"]

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"]It's the right thing to do then... However, as a followers of God we have faith that God would never command such a thing... jeremiah06

Faithful != mindless being a sane good willed person I wouldn't go murder mass people...

Read my bold.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

Considering that the Euthyphro dilemma is basically as a whole a covert question about the definition of "good", that doesn't seem too off-topic to me. :P

I'm not saying it is off-topic, and I'd hardly classify the Euthyphro dilemma being remotely covert in its approach to defining good. :p However, what one would do in a certain situation doesn't inherently help confirm whether an action, according to an system of objective morality, is objectively moral because God commands it or vice-versa.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jeremiah06

GabuEx

Certainly, God is outside of time, but surely God is capable of deciding that after this particular point in what we perceive as time, murder is now morally proper, and surely that would be good for him to do, since he is God. On what basis would God be restrained from doing so, if indeed everything he does is good by virtue of his having done it?

There would be no restraints... As I stated it would be the right thing to do... However the bible already deals with this situation... Technically you should submit and do as God asks but he's stated that he wouldn't command such things... God being ultimate good means he can't lie so there's no reason not to take his word for it...
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="cheezisgoooood"]

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"] It's the right thing to do then... However, as a followers of God we have faith that God would never command such a thing... jeremiah06

Even if God commanded it?

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jeremiah06

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="cheezisgoooood"]

cheezisgoooood

Read my bold.

must have misread that I agree
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jeremiah06

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="cheezisgoooood"]

coolbeans90

no
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"] Faithful != mindless being a sane good willed person I wouldn't go murder mass people...jeremiah06

no

I still didnt get my question answered:

Is god perfect?

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

DroidPhysX

no

Is god perfect?

Define "perfect."

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jeremiah06

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

DroidPhysX

no

Is god perfect?

define perfect
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"] nojeremiah06

Is god perfect?

define perfect

God can do anything, therefore he is perfect.

Thats where I'm getting at.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Is god perfect?

DroidPhysX

define perfect

Perfect = capable of doing anything.

K.

Can God create a rock he cannot lift?

*leaves thread and watches from a distance*

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jeremiah06

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Is god perfect?

DroidPhysX

define perfect

Thats not generally what it means to say God is perfect... We as humans come up with our own definitions and use them to define aspects of God and what we come up with isn't always correct... God is perfect means that God can not screw up at being God... That means God is perfectly moral, perfectly just, perfectly good, perfectly loving etc... but by the standard human meaning no God isn't. So... could God create a stone so heavy that he himself could not lift it? No... no he couldn't... That doesn't make him worse at being God thoigh so he's still perfect.

Edit: lol I wrote that befoe I saw your edit...

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"] define perfectcoolbeans90

K.

The irritating part is that the question wasnt even directed at you...

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

DroidPhysX

K.

Irritated? ¿Por qué?

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

K.

coolbeans90

Irritated? ¿Por qué?

This will probably be my last post in this thread, otherwise I would probably get modded from engaging in a childish argument.