Does Atheism make you nihilist?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts

I'm curious because it seems like if there is no God, then there is no higher purpose in our lives. Our lives are so small anyway that anything we do would be meaningless in the grand scheme of the universe and we might as well round the human lifespan down to zero.

What do atheists think about this?

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

Who is more pious:
the man who does good deeds because he fears the wrath of an all powerful father figure,
or the man who does good deeds for the sake of doing good?

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
It doesn't.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

I live my life for the people around me, not some "God"

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
I wouldn't say so.
snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
As an atheist my philosophy goes something like "We're only here for the span of our lifetime so might as well make the most of it and have as much fun as possible" so no not at all.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
Me, I'm a de-nihilist - I simply refuse to accept that I have come to believe that nothing has intrinsic value, meaning or purpose...
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Does being Christian make you a nihilist? I'm curious because it seems like if there is a God then there would be no point to this life since you would have an eternal life waiting for you afterward. Our lives are so small compared to an eternity that anything you do would be meaningless in the grand scheme of things and you might as well round the human lifespan down to zero. What do Christians think about this?
AndromedasWake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AndromedasWake
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts
A great man once said, we are star stuff, the universe recognizing itself. Shame to waste such a cool thing, no?
CosmicZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CosmicZombie
Member since 2010 • 1585 Posts

Who is more pious:
the man who does good deeds because he fears the wrath of an all powerful father figure,

cybrcatter

The first one, since the second one does it for the sake of doing it.

TwilightTown15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TwilightTown15
Member since 2009 • 1711 Posts

Not exactly, some might be that way, but not all atheists are nihilists.

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
A great man once said, we are star stuff, the universe recognizing itself. Shame to waste such a cool thing, no?AndromedasWake
Sagan?
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

[QUOTE="cybrcatter"]

Who is more pious:

CosmicZombie

Sounds like he's doing it out of fear to me.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Why does a person have to believe in fairy tales in order to have meaning to their life?

CosmicZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CosmicZombie

[QUOTE="CosmicZombie"]

[QUOTE="cybrcatter"]

Who is more pious:

cybrcatter

Sounds like he's doing it out of fear to me.

Thats what i meant...

wat

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

Not necessarily but for me personally I am an existential nihilist.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#17 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]Does being Christian make you a nihilist? I'm curious because it seems like if there is a God then there would be no point to this life since you would have an eternal life waiting for you afterward. Our lives are so small compared to an eternity that anything you do would be meaningless in the grand scheme of things and you might as well round the human lifespan down to zero. What do Christians think about this?

The book of Ecclesiastes was pretty nihilist, written by a thoroughly jaded Solomon, considered by many to be the wealthiest and most famous man of his time. On the other hand, the book concluded with Solomon instructing his son to obey the laws and fear God. Earthly things may be temporary, but the things that belong to God isn't, and in the end, that's all that's going to stand. Your legacy, your wealth, and your education means nothing in the end. On the other hand, that simply means that the only thing that's worth anything is God, and what you do is in the glory of God. I am a Christian because all I see is people chasing after things that would simply not satisfy. Can a temporal thing satisfy a need that's infinite?
AndromedasWake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AndromedasWake

Why does a person have to believe in fairy tales in order to have meaning to their life?

worlock77
"Isn't it enough to see and appreciate a beautiful garden, without having to believe their are fairies at the bottom of it?"
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#19 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Life is ultimately objectively meaningless. Everything around you, everything that's ever been, will eventually be gone. Nothing. Nada. Zip. All pau. Besides, why do I need a God to find purpose? The only purpose in life is the one we choose to give it. Nihilism is the only rationale, realistic viewpoint, everything else is simply wishful thinking.

Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]Does being Christian make you a nihilist? I'm curious because it seems like if there is a God then there would be no point to this life since you would have an eternal life waiting for you afterward. Our lives are so small compared to an eternity that anything you do would be meaningless in the grand scheme of things and you might as well round the human lifespan down to zero. What do Christians think about this?

Following God allows you to join into something much bigger, and much more eternal. When you are living in God's love, then you do not need to worry if anything you do will last. But 100 billion years from now what will remain of the Atheist? And if nothing will ever remain, what would anything in this life matter because it is so short anyway.
CosmicZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CosmicZombie

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

AndromedasWake

"Isn't it enough to see and appreciate a beautiful garden, without having to believe their are fairies at the bottom of it?"

This

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I see how atheism can logically lead towards nihilism but for their sanity I am happy to know not all atheists think that way. Granted, I'd be even happier to hear of an atheism coming to know God through Christ. :P
fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts

worlock77
bingo.. Frankly if you believe this life is nothing but a waiting line for the afterlife.. why would you care about it at all?
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#24 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Life is ultimately objectively meaningless. Everything around you, everything that's ever been, will eventually be gone. Nothing. Nada. Zip. All pau. Besides, why do I need a God to find purpose? The only purpose in life is the one we choose to give it. Nihilism is the only rationale, realistic viewpoint, everything else is simply wishful thinking.

Rekunta
I'm sure a lot of former addicts who became born-again Christians appreciate having someone like God to find purpose in. I'm not arguing, but I'm just putting things in perspective.
camarowu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 camarowu
Member since 2005 • 412 Posts

Nathan Explosion: So, where are we now?
Pickles the Drummer: This is the church of the atheists. They don't, uh, believe in God.
Nathan Explosion: Oh, like Toki and Skwisgaar?
Skwisgaar Skwigelf: No, we are nihilists? We don't believe in anything.
Nathan Explosion: But can't nihilists also... not... believe in god... too?
Skwisgaar Skwigelf: Well, I, uh... I don't know.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Rekunta

I see how atheism can logically lead towards nihilism but for their sanity I am happy to know not all atheists think that way. Granted, I'd be even happier to hear of an atheism coming to know God through Christ. :Pmindstorm

For their sanity? I am glad, then, to be considered insane.

CosmicZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CosmicZombie

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

hiphops_savior

I'm sure a lot of former addicts who became born-again Christians appreciate having someone like God to find purpose in. I'm not arguing, but I'm just putting things in perspective.

Because they were fed all the religious propaganda to get out of their addiction to begin with.

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]Does being Christian make you a nihilist? I'm curious because it seems like if there is a God then there would be no point to this life since you would have an eternal life waiting for you afterward. Our lives are so small compared to an eternity that anything you do would be meaningless in the grand scheme of things and you might as well round the human lifespan down to zero. What do Christians think about this?hiphops_savior
The book of Ecclesiastes was pretty nihilist, written by a thoroughly jaded Solomon, considered by many to be the wealthiest and most famous man of his time. On the other hand, the book concluded with Solomon instructing his son to obey the laws and fear God. Earthly things may be temporary, but the things that belong to God isn't, and in the end, that's all that's going to stand. Your legacy, your wealth, and your education means nothing in the end. On the other hand, that simply means that the only thing that's worth anything is God, and what you do is in the glory of God. I am a Christian because all I see is people chasing after things that would simply not satisfy. Can a temporal thing satisfy a need that's infinite?

this and this is also why i have problems with aeithist besides me not spelling the word right. because most seem to not grasp that do everything for the Glory of an eternal being because they wont be here in 70 years because nothing else can possibly matter except eternal things making all temporal things moot in the grand scheme of things. yet some rather say screw drink eat and be merry. when its all quite ironic because the very same book that they disbeleive prophesises that they will say the exact same things they end up saying. and there is truth to this. for a long while i sought after stuff and quite frankly blew my money on all kinds of stuff one too many games and dvds and going out to eat and just having fun ultimately none of that satisfies me and im just left feeling surrounded by stuff that lacks any meaning and half of it i probably havent even enjoyed. but ironically since ive started saving money and appreciated what i do have and trying to find enjoyment in other ways i myself have become a happier person. so there is some truth to that at least as far as i can tell with me.
kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kayoticdreamz
[QUOTE="CosmicZombie"]

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"][QUOTE="Rekunta"]

Because they were fed all the religious propaganda to get out of their addiction to begin with.

why is religion propaganda but not aithiesm?
AndromedasWake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AndromedasWake
But 100 billion years from now what will remain of the Atheist?Acemaster27
Well to be exact, everything that makes that person up now will still be around, somewhere. ;)
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mindstorm
[QUOTE="worlock77"]

fastr
bingo.. Frankly if you believe this life is nothing but a waiting line for the afterlife.. why would you care about it at all?

This is actually a mentality that Jesus sought to defeat in Acts 1:6-8, "So when they met together, they asked him, 'Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?' He said to them: 'It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.'" To summarize and clarify, the people were so anxiously awaiting the future that Jesus essentially said, "Don't worry about that right now, you should concern yourselves with other things at the moment." A religious person does not gain meaning in life simply because the individual is awaiting the next life. While we are to find hope in the future, we can also enjoy the blessings of God now in such a way that God is glorified. As the Westminster Shorter Catechism states, "Man's chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever." John Piper's version states, "Man's chief end is to glorify God by enjoying him forever." Personally, I find great joy and meaning in life with that mindset regardless of what might happen after death.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I see how atheism can logically lead towards nihilism but for their sanity I am happy to know not all atheists think that way. Granted, I'd be even happier to hear of an atheism coming to know God through Christ. :PRekunta

We are all a little insane, myself included. That is what makes life fun. :P
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rekunta

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

hiphops_savior

Hey, if it helps, more power to them. Personally though, I'd prefer to be right and miserable(at least at this point in my life) about things than be mistaken soley for the sake of comfort. But if they truly believe it, go for it.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rekunta

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I see how atheism can logically lead towards nihilism but for their sanity I am happy to know not all atheists think that way. Granted, I'd be even happier to hear of an atheism coming to know God through Christ. :Pmindstorm

Ugh. I'd like to agree, but do I ever wish to be "sane", whatever that may be. :)

Coka_Cola241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Coka_Cola241
Member since 2008 • 3064 Posts
Does it really matter?
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

No...

Did you read a work by Nietzshe or something?

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Rekunta"]

Rekunta

Ugh. I'd like to agree, but do I ever wish to be "sane", whatever that may be. :)

Personally I hold to the notion that Jesus alone is the only sane person to have ever lived. Examining his sanity might be a good place to start. :D
kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kayoticdreamz
[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Rekunta"]

We are all a little insane, myself included. That is what makes life fun. :Pmindstorm

Personally I hold to the notion that Jesus alone is the only sane person to have ever lived. Examining his sanity might be a good place to start. :D

i could live with that statement.
smchacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#39 smchacko
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

Rekunta

Any extreme belief is not rational, Nihilism is an extreme belief.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rekunta

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

smchacko

Sure it's extreme, but that doesn't make it any less true.

RobBourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RobBourne
Member since 2010 • 161 Posts

Who is more pious:

cybrcatter

This

I live my life for the people around me, not some "God"

thelastguy

and this.

With cybr's quote, I'm pretty sure I would be more qualified to go into Heaven which is what I tell people.

I do good just to do good, not because I fear of going to hell but because it's the right thing to do, not just the thing that will help get me into Heaven.

CosmicZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CosmicZombie

[QUOTE="CosmicZombie"]

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"] I'm sure a lot of former addicts who became born-again Christians appreciate having someone like God to find purpose in. I'm not arguing, but I'm just putting things in perspective.kayoticdreamz

Are you serious?

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kayoticdreamz
[QUOTE="CosmicZombie"]

[QUOTE="kayoticdreamz"][QUOTE="CosmicZombie"]

Are you serious?

why wouldnt i be?
CosmicZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CosmicZombie

[QUOTE="CosmicZombie"]

[QUOTE="kayoticdreamz"] why is religion propaganda but not aithiesm?kayoticdreamz

Are you serious?

why wouldnt i be?

Religion and religious propaganda are not the same.

To make things short, you dont see them going 'You have to avoid believeing in gods to get cured!'.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts

Who is more pious:

cybrcatter

I never thought of it like this.

Avavee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Avavee
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Everything is relative. We're important to the people around us and the people we know and interact with. Who cares if we're insignificant on the larger scale?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

smchacko

Wow, there's a heaping full of fallacies. For one, how do you define extreme? By bucking adherence to the principles our society currently values? Then by that logic, isn't hegemonic adherence the only rational way of living? However, I'd cla$$ify an adherence to a hegemonic order of things the epitome of unrational behavior, as you're not judging based on merit but simply arbitrarily espousing theories simply because they're entrenched. Most of modern philosophical and social progress has been accomplished by questioning what is entrenched and overthrowing hegemony, many rational advances have been made through the use of what were at the time considered extreme beliefs.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#48 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Obviously not, considering that not all atheists are nihilist. The belief that there is no supernatural creator does not imply that nothing holds any meaning unless you want it to.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

hiphops_savior

But to say the only way that they could buck harmful habits like that is through religion is a fallacy.There's nothing inherent to religion that stops people from being addicts, it's simply that religion happened to be the force in their life that caused them to do so. In the abscence of religion, there are other forces that can have a similar effect on addicts and accomplish the same goal. This is part of the reason why I detest that cult called AA so much, they militantly proselytize by telling people who are in a vunerable position that the only way they can get better is to accept the presence of a deity.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Nihilism is one of the greatest fears of humankind.

my opinion.