Does anyone here use Bitcoin?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts

I've been hearing it so often lately in the news and have been wondering, what the heck is it?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

You couldn't google this?

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

We also have this topic. >_>

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

No. I don't see the point in wasting my electrical and hardware resources to come out negative.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I've been using it, it's amazingly handy currency to use. Bought another graphics card with it a day ago (r9 280x)! No bank charges for a transaction = awesome in my book. There are a lot of negative nancies on this forum that really have no clue how simple and effective bitcoin is becoming, it's pretty damn hilarious really. Soon enough a shit-ton of people will be using it, that's guaranteed.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The-Apostle

Soon as I find a second job I'll be saving up for a miner since I don't know how to build my own. >_>

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

by time i found out about bitcoin, they were like 600+ a piece. they have only gone up from that

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jer_1

@thegerg said:

@jer_1 said:

I've been using it, it's amazingly handy currency to use. Bought another graphics card with it a day ago (r9 280x)! No bank charges for a transaction = awesome in my book. There are a lot of negative nancies on this forum that really have no clue how simple and effective bitcoin is becoming, it's pretty damn hilarious really. Soon enough a shit-ton of people will be using it, that's guaranteed.

"I've been using it, it's amazingly handy currency to use. Bought another graphics card with it a day ago (r9 280x)! No bank charges for a transaction = awesome in my book."

I can do the same thing with dollars, you know.

Man almost every other charge I make on my debit card the bank tacks on a couple dollar charge. Maybe your bank doesn't do this but sadly mine does. It's quite friggin annoying. Anyways, bitcoin almost completely removes all these fees.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

@jer_1 said:

@thegerg said:

@jer_1 said:

"I've been using it, it's amazingly handy currency to use. Bought another graphics card with it a day ago (r9 280x)! No bank charges for a transaction = awesome in my book."

Man almost every other charge I make on my debit card the bank tacks on a couple dollar charge. Maybe your bank doesn't do this but sadly mine does. It's quite friggin annoying. Anyways, bitcoin almost completely removes all these fees.

You probably have a shitty bank.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jer_1

Great southern. Sorry to tell you guys (if you somehow didn't all know) but all banks are shitty. One good thing about bitcoin is that you can TOTALLY AVOID banks with it! Thus why I look for any excuse to use it.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The-Apostle

@coolbeans90 said:

@jer_1 said:

@thegerg said:

@jer_1 said:

You probably have a shitty bank.

This

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By coolbeans90

@jer_1 said:

Great southern. Sorry to tell you guys (if you somehow didn't all know) but all banks are shitty. One good thing about bitcoin is that you can TOTALLY AVOID banks with it! Thus why I look for any excuse to use it.

I am pretty sure my bank never tosses me random fees (aside from the one time they tried to charge me for a paper statement - which i got reversed). It pretty much doesn't suck. It is a very stable means for me to keep my money safe. Bitcoin is like taking home a paycheck and tossing it into lotto tickets.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jer_1

@coolbeans90 said:

@jer_1 said:

I am pretty sure my bank never tosses me random fees (aside from the one time they tried to charge me for a paper statement - which i got reversed). It pretty much doesn't suck. It is a very stable means for me to keep my money safe. Bitcoin is like taking home a paycheck and tossing it into lotto tickets.

Hasn't been my experience at all. I mine other alt-coins for bitcoin, it's stored in a safely encrypted wallet which no one can profit off of or have access to and I spend it the moment I'm ready. Not that difficult to use at all really. Now the value of the bitcoin can vary quite a bit but right now bitcoin is a commodity which is really part of the fun when you're mining it.

Volatility isn't always a bad thing when you can benefit from it. :D

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 coolbeans90

@jer_1 said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@jer_1 said:

Hasn't been my experience at all. I mine other alt-coins for bitcoin, it's stored in a safely encrypted wallet which no one can profit off of or have access to and I spend it the moment I'm ready. Not that difficult to use at all really. Now the value of the bitcoin can vary quite a bit but right now bitcoin is a commodity which is really part of the fun when you're mining it.

Volatility isn't always a bad thing when you can benefit from it. :D

Volatility is a bad thing when your bank account fluctuates up and down violently but your bills don't. Some people enjoy it, but gambling isn't my thing, and especially not with the money kept in a bank account. Arguably, there is a case for putting a small portion of retirement savings towards pure speculation, but I am not even at that point in life yet, and when I am, I'll probably do something more fun and something I have more personal insight into.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By coolbeans90

I wonder what two 4870s could put out.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jer_1

@coolbeans90 said:

Sadly they would not generate enough k/hash to make it worth your while. You basically have to use the more recent GCN versions (7xxx series or newer) of AMD's graphics cards on alt-coins or buy dedicated ASIC chips to hash on bitcoin.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By coolbeans90

@jer_1 said:

@coolbeans90 said:

Sadly they would not generate enough k/hash to make it worth your while. You basically have to use the more recent GCN versions (7xxx series or newer) of AMD's graphics cards on alt-coins or buy dedicated ASIC chips to hash on bitcoin.

hmmm

well, that is that

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

I want to buy I don't have the money to get into it

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The-Apostle

Gonna get an AMD Sempron to improve my mining power. Not sure how to install it however. Also, I mine with the Bitcoin Miner app on Windows 8. Would the AMD Sempron improve its speed? Because I barely get 3.9 MH/s. :(

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 coolbeans90

@The-Apostle said:

Gonna get an AMD Sempron to improve my mining power. Not sure how to install it however. Also, I mine with the Bitcoin Miner app on Windows 8. Would the AMD Sempron improve its speed? Because I barely get 3.9 MH/s. :(

LOL

I don't think you should mine, buddy.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The-Apostle

@coolbeans90 said:

@The-Apostle said:

LOL

Is there another way I can make money and quit my crappy job? Because I can't seem to find it...

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 coolbeans90

@The-Apostle said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@The-Apostle said:

LOL

Is there another way I can make money and quit my crappy job? Because I can't seem to find it...

1. this is supplementary income with the right hardware, which leads us to

2. you don't have a fucking clue what you are doing

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@The-Apostle said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@The-Apostle said:

LOL

You could learn a valuable skill and put in the time and effort to get good at it.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

@MrGeezer: so much easier said then done

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MrGeezer

@-Renegade said:

Still easier to do than successfully completing any get-rich-quick scheme. Sure, some people get lucky, or some people happen to have a really good idea at the right time. But those cases are the exception. For the VAST majority of people (if they want to be able to quit their crappy jobs and not be worse off), then their BEST option is to take the time and effort required to become a valuable asset in a better job.

Generally speaking, moving up requires effort. For most people, there is no easy path.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The-Apostle

@MrGeezer said:

@-Renegade said:

Still easier to do than successfully completing any get-rich-quick scheme. Sure, some people get lucky, or some people happen to have a really good idea at the right time. But those cases are the exception. For the VAST majority of people (if they want to be able to quit their crappy jobs and not be worse off), then their BEST option is to take the time and effort required to become a valuable asset in a better job.

Generally speaking, moving up requires effort. For most people, there is no easy path.

It's easy to develop a talent and practice it. It's a hell of a lot harder to get paid for it. I know because I'm in that situation now, unfortunately. :(

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrGeezer

@The-Apostle said:

@MrGeezer said:

@-Renegade said:

It's easy to develop a talent and practice it. It's a hell of a lot harder to get paid for it. I know because I'm in that situation now, unfortunately. :(

Okay. You've tried that. So, how is the bitcoin thing working by comparison?

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

@thegerg said:

@jer_1 said:

"One good thing about bitcoin is that you can TOTALLY AVOID banks with it!"

Uh, no.

Uh, ya. storing money online kind of entails avoiding banks.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 The-Apostle

@MrGeezer said:

@The-Apostle said:

@MrGeezer said:

@-Renegade said:

It would be easier if I could afford a real miner. :(

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 coolbeans90

@The-Apostle said:

@MrGeezer said:

@The-Apostle said:

@MrGeezer said:

@-Renegade said:

It would be easier if I could afford a real miner. :(

buy it on a credit card or something

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jer_1

Mining bitcoin is utterly pointless with a typical pc, you'd need specialized ASIC chips on a much larger scale. The difficulty in mining Bitcoin itself is enormous. You'd be much better off mining alt-coins with a good GPU, or you could look for alt-coins that you can mine with CPU, there are a few. Maxcoin might be a decent choice if you wanted to go the CPU route but their value is unknown since it was just released. Once you have these alt-coins you would simply trade it on the market for BTC.

If you wanted to do GPU mining just be sure you don't use nvidia cards to do it, stick with the newer AMD cards.

Going by what I've seen so far with my mining you could pay off a mining rig in about 3 months give or take, the more rigs you have the better your pay obviously. You could probably generate a living wage with about 5 or 6 mining rigs each with 2 gpus, you could probably half the number of rigs by using 4x pci-e motherboards and use powered gpu risers to get them far enough away from each other that they won't melt, lol!

Each rig can net you anywhere from $300 - $500 +/- per month (using 2x GPU each). Then remove the cost of electricity, which could be pricey in your area, say $50 to $60 +/- per miner per month possibly even higher. Also take into consideration that coins will eventually have diminishing returns, you will need more GPU power to do the same amount of work in the future.

This is not an easy-mode one button does it all hobby, it takes some effort to get up and running but once you do it's pretty enjoyable (for me at least).

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

no, but i do dogecoin

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

Bitcoins have outlived their effectiveness now that the government is getting involved.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

I still don't fully understand the concept of bitcoins.

It seems it was already well and truly a thing by the time I become aware of it.