Do you use DVD or BLU RAY?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aaronlovesfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By aaronlovesfood
Member since 2015 • 114 Posts

Have you upgraded to BLU RAY or do you still think that DVD'S are good enough for you.

I have just recently upgraded in March and I have around 32 in total

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Neither, I just stream or download whatever I want to watch.

aaronlovesfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 aaronlovesfood

@bmanva: I use Now TV to stream but do you not have pride in having a physical copy?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Neither. I can't remember the last time I used a disk; it's been years. With the mainstreaming of blazing-fast household Internet, it's time to abolish physical media. This is coming from someone who lives in a place where internet services don't come close to being among the fastest worldwide.

aaronlovesfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 aaronlovesfood

@GazaAli: What do you use then to get the content?

I like streaming services but whenever I need a recent movie I'd much rather buy it in physical form than to pay the same price to keep it online

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GazaAli

@aaronlovesfood said:

@GazaAli: What do you use then to get the content?

I like streaming services but whenever I need a recent movie I'd much rather buy it in physical form than to pay the same price to keep it online

I get everything online mainly by torrenting my needs, although recently, I've been getting into streaming following a recent upgrade of my Internet service.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44474 Posts

I've been getting my movies on blu-ray for awhile. I still very much prefer the physical medium so when I want to buy a movie or TV series I get it on blu-ray. I also still buy my music on cd.

aaronlovesfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 aaronlovesfood

@Archangel3371: I don't get physical cd's anymore though. It takes longer to burn it to my computer rather than to download it.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bmanva

@aaronlovesfood: Pride? No not really. What is there to be proud of (that's not a rhetorical question)?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

If it's not on Netflix I can rent/buy it on Vudu. Never been into actually buying movies, though. How many times can you watch the same movie before you know it so well you can't pay attention to it?

aaronlovesfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By aaronlovesfood

@bmanva: Well do you not collect anything at all?

I can't exactly explain the reasoning very well but it just gives me pride with ownership and I like to see collecting as a competitive challenge

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

What the heck is a DVD ? LMAO ! I don't think they make those any more.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Archangel3371

@br0kenrabbit said:

If it's not on Netflix I can rent/buy it on Vudu. Never been into actually buying movies, though. How many times can you watch the same movie before you know it so well you can't pay attention to it?

I typically only watch movies once but I buy them because I like having a collection.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I typically only watch movies once but I buy them because I like having a collection.

I like collecting Bens.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bmanva

@aaronlovesfood said:

@bmanva: Well do you not collect anything at all?

I can't exactly explain the reasoning very well but it just gives me pride with ownership and I like to see collecting as a competitive challenge

Well I would never acquire something for the sake of having it, so IMO no I don't collect anything. I really don't see a point in that.

aaronlovesfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 aaronlovesfood

@LexLas: What the heck is a VHS ?

Fixed it for you :D

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@aaronlovesfood said:

@LexLas: What the heck is a VHS ?

Fixed it for you :D

Whats a reel player ? Shit just got real. Good luck topping that one, lol ..

aaronlovesfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By aaronlovesfood

@LexLas: What is the meaning of life? Try topping that one

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Neither. I can't remember the last time I used a disk; it's been years. With the mainstreaming of blazing-fast household Internet, it's time to abolish physical media. This is coming from someone who lives in a place where internet services don't come close to being among the fastest worldwide.

I'd agree if my internet service was reliable enough that it never went down. Keep in mind, I'm only talking about purchases. If it's just something I want to watch once, then I always go with the internet. But in terms of owning movies, I want a disc. It sucks ass not being able to use something that I "own" simply because my internet service got interrupted.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#20 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6107 Posts

Neither,I watch videos/movies/shows through my Xbox One.Don't care about physical copies on movies/music/games.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GazaAli

@MrGeezer said:
@GazaAli said:

I'd agree if my internet service was reliable enough that it never went down. Keep in mind, I'm only talking about purchases. If it's just something I want to watch once, then I always go with the internet. But in terms of owning movies, I want a disc. It sucks ass not being able to use something that I "own" simply because my internet service got interrupted.

That's reasonable enough. Service reliability is a must if one is to rely exclusively on online contents. But it's hard to imagine that this is a substantive issue worldwide since I live in a shithole and my service reliability is topnotch. Like, I'd experience an internet blackout once a year or so and even when it happens I'm one call away from getting back online.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Blu rays

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

both

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@GazaAli said:

That's reasonable enough. Service reliability is a must if one is to rely exclusively on online contents. But it's hard to imagine that this is a substantive issue worldwide since I live in a shithole and my service reliability is topnotch. Like, I'd experience an internet blackout once a year or so and even when it happens I'm one call away from getting back online.

It's not that big of an issue since my internet doesn't go down very often. But I also just don't like the concept of having to go through a middleman in order to use something that I "own".

But this is also not usually a big issue for me, since I don't buy movies very often either. The vast majority of the time I simply use Netflix or Amazon, since whatever I'm watching isn't likely to be something I'll ever watch again.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59285 Posts

Blueray for certain movies, with streaming you don't get the extra's or multiple theatrical versions.

Even objectively bad movies like the Resident Evil series, it's kinda interesting listening to the commentary.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GazaAli

@MrGeezer said:
@GazaAli said:

It's not that big of an issue since my internet doesn't go down very often. But I also just don't like the concept of having to go through a middleman in order to use something that I "own".

But this is also not usually a big issue for me, since I don't buy movies very often either. The vast majority of the time I simply use Netflix or Amazon, since whatever I'm watching isn't likely to be something I'll ever watch again.

When it comes down to it, physical ownership is above a mere license to access materials, but the tradeoff isn't worth it.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dave123321

I enjoy the quality uptick that blu ray brings over stuff like netflix or amazon or on demand.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

I just started to buying in Blu Ray less than 2 years ago. Before I realy ever bough movies, now I have a decent collection of 30 bluray Movies (most of them are old films that I get cheap on Amazon, like The Graduate, Anne Hall, Rain Man Schindler's List, God Father Collection, etc... I dont really buy contemporary movies).

I dont like paying for digital movies, unless its not available on disc format like it was the case with Pennies From Heaven that I had to get on Amazon instant video. I have Amazon Prime and I can watch a few movies through streaming but they barely have anything there thats free, again Im not about to pay for digital copy.

Blu Ray last for ever the picture quality is good enough for the next 50+ years.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts

I've bought blu-ray movies for quite some time now... I don't buy them often though, so even though I have been buying them for the last 5 years or more, I have no more than 50-60 movies I think.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56347 Posts

My PS3/4, Xbox One plays Blu-Rays so Blu-Rays I use toe most and DVD, I use that too.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I like to watch stuff in HD so Bluray, but my ps3 is the only thing that plays Bluray in my house, and it's not in my livingroom, which is a pain.

Usually though I just use my sister's external hard drive which has tonnes of full HD movies on it. She gets them all legally of course.

aaronlovesfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 aaronlovesfood

@ianhh6: "She gets them all legally of course" I honestly can't tell if you are being sarcastic here or not :D

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Both.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Archangel3371

That's another reason I prefer to get my movies on blu-ray, I really enjoy all the extras that are included.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6933395c33c
deactivated-5d6933395c33c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6933395c33c
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts

DVD.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2387 Posts

Betamax, it's time has come.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

lol, dvd, no thank you. It's either Bluray or Digital HD copies for films for me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#38 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59285 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

That's another reason I prefer to get my movies on blu-ray, I really enjoy all the extras that are included.

In the original days it was kinda more a gimmick, usually just a trailer, nowadays it's pretty expansive stuff.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dave123321

Really like the criterion stuff

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

If it's available as a Blu-ray then I'd rather have that obviously, but far too many movies that I regularly enjoy are still only available in DVD or VHS format so I still would buy in those formats. Not really keen on the electronic medium as a permanent option as the quality is not quite there yet and the storage and transmission of the format can be problematic, but I do love it as a means to track down very rare and obscure films.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

There are a number of movies/shows I never tire of watching. Examples are The Last of the Mohicans (1992), The Killing Fields (1984), the extended versions of the LOTR trilogy, MXC, The Universe, Flash Gordon, Zulu Dawn, etc. There are also weirder movies (eg Run Lola Run) I won't find so easily around here. I don't want to waste time looking for them either in digital storage or in a streaming service.

A lot of times, some movies that are on Netflix disappear from the lineup. One example that I like is The Fifth Element. It used to be on Netflix. Not anymore or it won't be soon. Good thing I have a Blu Ray of it.

I use both DVD and Blu Ray. If I already have a DVD version, chances are, I won't buy a Blu Ray version of it unless the older DVD version gets scratched too bad.

I love the cheap 4-movie pack DVDs that can be bought in either Target or Wal Mart. I have a number of them (Starship Troopers 1-3, Vacation movies, The Matrix, etc).

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#42 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I've been getting my movies on blu-ray for awhile. I still very much prefer the physical medium so when I want to buy a movie or TV series I get it on blu-ray. I also still buy my music on cd.

I'm the same I still buy the odd DVD but if there is a movie I want I buy it on blu ray I prefer having a physical disc

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I pretty much stream (Netflix, Amazon Prime Instant Video) whenever I can, and buy blu rays when it's not available for streaming and I really want to watch it.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#44 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I use either mp4 or mkv

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

Mostly DVD. I use my PS3 primarily as a blu-ray / streaming machine these days, but never bothered to replaced the DVD players in the other rooms.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Bought a movie on Vudu's highest HDX quality and regretted it, still didn't match the visual/audio quality of bluray.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

blu ray.. dvd is for peasants

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
@Flubbbs said:

blu ray.. dvd is for peasants

Agreed. Blu-ray on a 4K TV looks absolutely amazing.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#49 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I use DVD and VHS.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Blu-ray if available. Otherwise I still have plenty of DVD's and some VHS.

@GazaAli said:

I think people continue to underestimate just how many out there still don't actually have the money or access to a suitable connection.

Online streaming and downloading will never fully replace physical media until data caps become non-existent and fast connections can be bought for cheap by just about anyone.

As it currently stands, things still aren't quite up to that level yet.