Do You Tip the Waiter or Deliveryman?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

When you're at a restaurant or receive food via delivery, do you tip the waiter or delivery man? I've never been in a situation where I had to personally tip a waiter. However, I've had numerous occasions where I've had the choice of tipping the delivery man. For example, last night while working at my college's fitness center, I ordered some Chinese food; steamed vegetables with white rice. The total came up to $6.97. I gave the delivery man a $10 bill and he reluctantly went into his wallet and gave me the change; it's as if he was waiting for me to say keep the change. After he gave it to me, as he was walking off he said You're so f***** cheap! I lol'ed and walked back inside. I just wanted to spend as little money as possible. I'm pretty sure that he got paid by the Chinese restaurant. Why should I have to pay extra money? Anyhow, I recall how apart from the exact change he gave me, there was no money in his wallet. This seemed way to convenient, as if he intentionally removed the rest of his money to give the impression that he was broke. He didn't fool me.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Yes I tip at restaurants though I'm admittedly not the greatest tipper.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts
tl;dr I always tip generously.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
They always receive a high five.
bruinfan617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bruinfan617
Member since 2010 • 3767 Posts

He's right. You are so ****ing cheap. ;/

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
No I pretend like I'm going to pass them a tip and then I quickly spit in their hand.
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Im a HS student, I dont tip much, most is 5 bucks if I feel specially generous. Which rarely happens.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
I spit in the food of people that didn't tip me. I wouldn't order from that place again.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BluRayHiDef

I spit in the food of people that didn't tip me. I wouldn't order from that place again. wstfld

Are you serious? I just ordered some food from there again, a few minutes ago.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts
I put money on the table after I am done eating at a restaurant and the amount usually depends on how much I have available at the time. Delivery men depends on what they are delivering. If its pizza they get a tip. If its UPS they get nothing
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 testfactor888
I spit in the food of people that didn't tip me. I wouldn't order from that place again. wstfld
Hopefully you get caught and than have to deal with all the legal issues you just opened up for yourself.
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts

[QUOTE="wstfld"]I spit in the food of people that didn't tip me. I wouldn't order from that place again. BluRayHiDef

:lol: I wouldn't eat it if I were you. I always tip. You don't make much money from being a waiter or deliveryman, so you rely on tips.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="wstfld"]I spit in the food of people that didn't tip me. I wouldn't order from that place again. testfactor888
Hopefully you get caught and than have to deal with all the legal issues you just opened up for yourself.

His quote will be used as evidence in the case.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="wstfld"]I spit in the food of people that didn't tip me. I wouldn't order from that place again. Commander-Gree

:lol: I wouldn't eat it if I were you. I always tip. You don't make much money from being a waiter or deliveryman, so you rely on tips.

The bag the food comes in is usually stapled shut. The same goes for the container inside of the bag. So, he'd have to have his own stapler to reseal everything. Also, even if he did have his own stapler, he'd have to perfectly realign the new staples with the impressions of the old staples. He'd more than likely leave evidence of his contamination behind.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 testfactor888

[QUOTE="testfactor888"][QUOTE="wstfld"]I spit in the food of people that didn't tip me. I wouldn't order from that place again. BluRayHiDef

His quote will be used as evidence in the case.

I am just hoping he gets caught on a camera :)
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Commander-Gree
I put money on the table after I am done eating at a restaurant and the amount usually depends on how much I have available at the time. Delivery men depends on what they are delivering. If its pizza they get a tip. If its UPS they get nothingtestfactor888
I was wondering if you should tip package deliverymen. I get packages all the time and usually they hand me the package, I sign, and then they go on there way without ever hinting at a tip. I pay a good bit to have stuff shipped to me, so I assume they get paid good. I would tip on Christmas Eve though.
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Depends if there's service charge on it. Some places have 10% service charge so no way am I giving a tip. Other times I will leave a tip if the food and service is good. The deliveryman, however, I don't tip :P Don't know if my dad does.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 testfactor888
[QUOTE="testfactor888"]I put money on the table after I am done eating at a restaurant and the amount usually depends on how much I have available at the time. Delivery men depends on what they are delivering. If its pizza they get a tip. If its UPS they get nothingCommander-Gree
I was wondering if you should tip package deliverymen. I get packages all the time and usually they hand me the package, I sign, and then they go on there way without ever hinting at a tip. I pay a good bit to have stuff shipped to me, so I assume they get paid good. I would tip on Christmas Eve though.

I have never tipped a delivery man in the regards of the UPS driver. I don't see a reason to honestly
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BluRayHiDef

The entire idea of tipping is just plain stupid. You've already paid for the service or product. Why should you pay more? The waiter or deliveryman should be paid by their employer. Why heckle the customer for more money? The entire idea is so stupid that it makes me rage.:evil:

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
25-30% in restaurants. When the bill is small (like at a diner), though, I tip way more, like 50% since I don't like tipping less than $4-5. Delivery guys usually get $3 to $10 from me, depending on how big the order is, how quickly they get it to me, and the weather conditions outside.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wstfld
[QUOTE="wstfld"]I spit in the food of people that didn't tip me. I wouldn't order from that place again. testfactor888

People who don't tip are usually too dumb to notice.
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts

The entire idea of tipping is just plain stupid. You've already paid for the service or product. Why should you pay more? The waiter or deliveryman should be paid by their employer. Why heckle the customer for more money? The entire idea is so stupid that it makes me rage.:evil:

BluRayHiDef
Try being a deliveryman/waiter.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dark__Link

BluRayHiDef
Yeah it's screwed up but don't make the middleman suffer for it. If you take offense to the system, take it to a higher level. Not tipping won't change anything, it just makes you look like an ass.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Yes I tip, about 15%. That's not an easy calculation sometimes. I used to also deliver but I didn't expect people to tip me. Many of them did though.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="testfactor888"][QUOTE="wstfld"]I spit in the food of people that didn't tip me. I wouldn't order from that place again. wstfld

Spiting in people's food is illegal and admitting to illegal activity here on the forums is forbidden by the TOU. So...:roll:

TheNewEraIcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 TheNewEraIcon
Member since 2009 • 12196 Posts

I tip the waiter, and also when I take a taxi which is pretty rarely I tip the driver lol 8)

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

I always tip them generously. It's the least I can do. If I can't give them a decent tip I will apologize.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wstfld

[QUOTE="wstfld"][QUOTE="testfactor888"] Hopefully you get caught and than have to deal with all the legal issues you just opened up for yourself.BluRayHiDef

Spiting in people's food is illegal and admitting to illegal activity here on the forums is forbidden by the TOU. So...:roll:

I'll take my daily point loss with dignity.
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Commander-Gree

BluRayHiDef
Yeah, it is a stupid concept. I assume it was originally created to ensure good service, but then restaurants took advantage of it and lowered the wages of waiters, making tips neccessary.
garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

No. I heard it's customary in the US, but not in my country. I don't see the point, they get paid by their manager to bring you something...ok. Its not like I tip bus drivers for bringing me somewhere.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
Waiters, yes; Delivery people, usually no. But, if the guy is hurling insults I'd just call his job, and let them know about it.
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts

BluRayHiDef
The idea is so the the delivery person has an incentive to give you good service....... If the delivery person does not make any more money by getting your order to you any quicker there is no incentive for them to work harder and more efficiently.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

BluRayHiDef

It's called courtesy. Because, you know, we aren't supposed to be cold hearted machines, we're supposed to have some kindness and humanity.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dark__Link

No. I heard it's customary in the US, but not in my country. I don't see the point, they get paid by their manager to bring you something...ok. Its not like I tip bus drivers for bringing me somewhere.

garathe_den
It's customary in the US because employers DON'T pay them. Not enough, at least. You might make $2.50/hr as a waiter. Only when adding tips in doesn't bring the sum to minimum wage will the employer pay them more.
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Commander-Gree

Waiters, yes; Delivery people, usually no. But, if the guy is hurling insults I'd just call his job, and let them know about it.clayron
I wouldn't, because if the dude gets fired over it, he knows where you live...:o

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wstfld
Waiters, yes; Delivery people, usually no. But, if the guy is hurling insults I'd just call his job, and let them know about it.clayron
I insulted a guy for not tipping me one time and he called my boss. My boss told him to tip or we wouldn't deliver there anymore. He was an awesome boss.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bloodling

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

SgtKevali

It's called courtesy. Because, you know, we aren't supposed to be cold hearted machines, we're supposed to have some kindness and humanity.

I agree. I hate people who are so cheap they won't even buy you a coffee.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="clayron"]Waiters, yes; Delivery people, usually no. But, if the guy is hurling insults I'd just call his job, and let them know about it.wstfld
I insulted a guy for not tipping me one time and he called my boss. My boss told him to tip or we wouldn't deliver there anymore. He was an awesome boss.

No, he was not an awesome boss. If he were so awesome, he would have paid you enough money so that you didn't have to rely on tips from the customer. The customer has already paid for the food, why should he pay you extra money? That should be factored into the service; you should be paid enough by your employer. End of discussion.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

I just wanted to spend as little money as possible.

BluRayHiDef

Then don't be a lazy bum and go pick it up yourself. Delivery guys and waiters both make less than minimum wage. If they don't get tipped then the employer has to pick up the difference. If no one tipped your food would 10-20% be more expensive to begin with. So quick abusing the system. Also, the reason he only carried around exact change is that delivery guys get mugged from time to time and they want to carry the least amount of money possible so they lose the least amount of money if they do get mugged.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bloodling

you should be paid enough by your employer. End of discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Way to put the blame on someone else. He can't do anything about what his employer does.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

Guybrush_3

Then don't be a lazy bum and go pick it up yourself. Delivery guys and waiters both make less than minimum wage. If they don't get tipped then the employer has to pick up the difference. If no one tipped your food would 10-20% be more expensive to begin with. So quick abusing the system. Also, the reason he only carried around exact change is that delivery guys get mugged from time to time and they want to carry the least amount of money possible so they lose the least amount of money if they do get mugged.

1. No one gets mugged around here. It's Potsdam, NY.

2. You make it seem as if it's an unnecessary burden for the Employer to pay one of their own EMPLOYEES!

3. I don't have a car. So, I can't go and pick it up myself.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="wstfld"][QUOTE="clayron"]Waiters, yes; Delivery people, usually no. But, if the guy is hurling insults I'd just call his job, and let them know about it.BluRayHiDef

No, he was not an awesome boss. If he were so awesome, he would have paid you enough money so that you didn't have to rely on tips from the customer. The customer has already paid for the food, why should he pay you extra money? That should be factored into the service; you should be paid enough by your employer. End of discussion.

It's a social tradition. One person can't change it. The tradition is to pay tips, and the system is built on this basis. Only when that tradition is ignored by a large amount of people can the system logically be changed.

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

When it comes to tipping in restaurants, I really don't like to unless the server has been quick, alert and cheerful. Otherwise they don't get a bonus from me. I know in the US its different, but where I live, I know waiters get paid properly and tips are basically bonuses. When it comes to delivery, I'll tip food depending on time and weather, but not anything else.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wstfld

[QUOTE="wstfld"][QUOTE="clayron"]Waiters, yes; Delivery people, usually no. But, if the guy is hurling insults I'd just call his job, and let them know about it.BluRayHiDef

Would you be okay with each food item costing 10% more for delivery than the pick up price? Delivery is an extra service on top of the preparation of the food.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bloodling

2. You make it seem as if it's an unnecessary burden for the Employer to pay one of their own EMPLOYEES!

BluRayHiDef

They could either raise the delivery price, which some restaurants do, or allow the client to tip for a decent amount. If you don't tip at all, prepare yourself for some well-deserved door slamming.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

It is an unneccesary burden if that's not how the system is set up. If he does it, but all the others don't, then he's at a complete disadvantage, and foolishly so, because he is ignoring the fact that many people do tip.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BluRayHiDef

Damn. The guilt got to me. The delivery man just came with my food and I tipped him $2.00. Now, I feel burned.:(

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

People can get mugged ANYWHERE. If employers did pay the employees more then your food would cost more. Yes the system sucks but that doesn't mean that it is ok for you to abuse it. Find a ride or pay for the service. Just remember. Delivery guys/waiters remember customers that don't tip. You will get served last. Non-tippers are at the bottom of their priority list. You're food will delivered last, you waiter will pay the least amount of attention to you because you quite literally are not worth the effort, and then there are the jerks who will go as far to mess with your food. It's not right but it sure as hell happens.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dark__Link

Damn. The guilt got to me. The delivery man just came with my food and I tipped him $2.00. Now, I feel burned.:(

BluRayHiDef
$2? That's it?
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bloodling

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

Dark__Link

$2? That's it?

For a 8$ order I'd say it's perfectly acceptable.