Do you think people can be improved by insulting them?

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for PWSteal_Ldpinch
PWSteal_Ldpinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PWSteal_Ldpinch
Member since 2011 • 1172 Posts

I think that insults are extremely valuable in communication. If a person is engaged in a debate based on faulty logic or premises, there can never be progression. If you want to have a conclusive debate, it is necessary to insult the debater.

Here is an example: suppose a person believes that locations above the equator are called "south", and locations below the equator are called "north". It is impossible to make a logical argument with this person. The only thing you can do is insult this misguided person and hope that the sense of indignation will prompt him to reconsider his position. If enough people insult this person, eventually he may correct his mistake. It is the only way to deal with such an individual.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
in the great case of implied v. inferred of 2076......
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
And if insults don't work?
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Yeah, but they can also cause people to "lock up" and be defensive, ergo continue a poor line of thinking - worsening the outcome which would have occurred had insults not been employed as a debate tactic. You want someone to keep an opinion? Insult them for holding it.

PWSteal_Ldpinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PWSteal_Ldpinch
And if insults don't work?BranKetra
Well they may not work. If a person stubbornly maintains the position that north is below the equator, then there is nothing else that can be done. You can never prove to him that he is wrong, you can only insult him. If the insults don't work, then at least you tried.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]And if insults don't work?PWSteal_Ldpinch
Well they may not work. If a person stubbornly maintains the position that north is below the equator, then there is nothing else that can be done. You can never prove to him that he is wrong, you can only insult him. If the insults don't work, then at least you tried.

I think it's possible to get the message across to someone that they're wrong without insulting them. That's a bit odd, if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, there are times when it works. That doesn't mean it's the only way.
PWSteal_Ldpinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PWSteal_Ldpinch

Yeah, but they can also cause people to "lock up" and be defensive, ergo continue a poor line of thinking - worsening the outcome which would have occurred had insults not been employed as a debate tactic. You want someone to keep an opinion? Insult them for holding it.

coolbeans90

That is not the proper way to insult someone. You are implying that progress could have been made through reasoning. I am suggesting that insults should be used when the debate has reached a gridlock. When it is impossible for the argument to proceed using logic and reasoning. At this junction, an insult can help the individual to reconsider.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#8 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

PWSteal_Ldpinch

That is not the proper way to insult someone. You are implying that progress could have been made through reasoning. I am suggesting that insults should be used when the debate has reached a gridlock. When it is impossible for the argument to proceed using logic and reasoning. At this junction, an insult can help the individual to reconsider.

They'll most likely reconsider their fist in your face.

After all, this is beyond the point of logic and reasoning.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

PWSteal_Ldpinch

That's not how it works. Insults never get the individual to reconsider.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Of course. If I tell one of my buddies you looks like a clown in that shirt 9 times out of 10 he's going to change that shirt.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

PWSteal_Ldpinch

Perhaps - though can it really be said that they wouldn't think about it afterwards? No one wants to look like they're conceding during a debate. Insulting might cause the opposite of the intended result in such a case. I mean, I don't really see how insulting provides an impetus for critical thinking, regardless.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Perhaps - though can it really be said that they wouldn't think about it afterwards? No one wants to look like they're conceding during a debate. Insulting might cause the opposite of the intended result in such a case. I mean, I don't really see how insulting provides an impetus for critical thinking, regardless.

coolbeans90

Your beans aren't so cool now, huh?!

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

airshocker

Your beans aren't so cool now, huh?!

My beans are cooler than you'll ever be.

PWSteal_Ldpinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PWSteal_Ldpinch

[QUOTE="PWSteal_Ldpinch"]

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

THE_DRUGGIE

That's not likely to happen in an online debate.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 branketra

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

PWSteal_Ldpinch

Or insult you back. To be honest, that sounds a bit childish.
JinjonatorX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JinjonatorX
Member since 2010 • 639 Posts
Insulting someone is just going to make them more passionate about whatever they're saying, and make it less likely for them to ever change their mind. So if you want ignorant people to stay ignorant, by all means, let the insults fly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

coolbeans90

Yeah...well...I don't even like beans ANYWAY.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Of course. If I tell one of my buddies you looks like a clown in that shirt 9 times out of 10 he's going to change that shirt.i5750at4Ghz
If he's your buddy then he probably respects your opinion. Calling someone an idiot for having the wrong definition of something is completely counter intuitive. You're not helping them to understand that they're wrong all you're doing is antagonizing yourself and making yourself look like the idiot. If the person is wrong then they can be proven wrong. If they have an opinion and you can't prove it wrong then agree to disagree. Don't be a little kid and start insulting people because you can't have your way.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

airshocker

Yeah...well...I don't even like beans ANYWAY.

Jelly beans.

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="PWSteal_Ldpinch"] That is not the proper way to insult someone. You are implying that progress could have been made through reasoning. I am suggesting that insults should be used when the debate has reached a gridlock. When it is impossible for the argument to proceed using logic and reasoning. At this junction, an insult can help the individual to reconsider.

PWSteal_Ldpinch

Maybe not but they can find alternatives to make the insulter pissed off like I am pretty sure some people on here probably report some people for this reason alone. And.... some people are that nuts to find out where you live and kill you. That is why I always tell people to hold up your shield when you lash out an insult, you never know what people will throw at you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Jelly beans.

coolbeans90

Even worse! Especially when they're in the shape of a mutated rooster! Man, I'm tired, too much Arkham Asylum / City. The Joker is making me ridiculous.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

Jelly beans.

airshocker

Even worse! Especially when they're in the shape of a mutated rooster! Man, I'm tired, too much Arkham Asylum / City. The Joker is making me ridiculous.

I want that f***ing game.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ace6301
[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="PWSteal_Ldpinch"] That is not the proper way to insult someone. You are implying that progress could have been made through reasoning. I am suggesting that insults should be used when the debate has reached a gridlock. When it is impossible for the argument to proceed using logic and reasoning. At this junction, an insult can help the individual to reconsider.

PWSteal_Ldpinch

If someone is willing to reconsider their position because of an insult from some random person online then they aren't going to be hard to convince they're wrong in the first place. "Oh my god randomgsmember says I'm an idiot...what if he's right!?" No. That's never going to happen. They'll just assume you can't put forward a coherent argument and continue with their false beliefs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

coolbeans90

Dude, they're epic. I honestly don't know which I like better. City has awesome gadgets and tons of exploration, but Asylum flows much better and has a better story.

kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

Yes, it's the greatest form of motivation.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ace6301

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

airshocker

Dude, they're epic. I honestly don't know which I like better. City has awesome gadgets and tons of exploration, but Asylum flows much better and has a better story.

AA was really good. Sadly Fall is stuffed with too many awesome games and I have to make some cuts. Skyrim, Dark Souls and BF3 is what I settled on. AC will have to wait until I have time for it.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

coolbeans90

About to play in exactly 2 minutes, you jelly; Beans?

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

coolbeans90

This. Sometimes insulting a person will get them to change thoughts, but they have to be probably excessively open minded.

by the way is there a psychology term for such a behavior? Being annoyed to do something, and then doing the exact opposite of proposed action?

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

airshocker

I loved Asylum. One of the better games I played that year. If City is anywhere near as good (which it seems to be), it's going to be awesome.

PWSteal_Ldpinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PWSteal_Ldpinch

No one wants to look like they're conceding during a debate.coolbeans90

Then it's not a genuine debate. Maybe you don't want too look like you're concedeting but that's not true for everyone. You inadvertently revealed that you don't like to concede in a debate. I'll keep that in mind.

I mean, I don't really see how insulting provides an impetus for critical thinking, regardless.

coolbeans90

Insulting isn't an impetus for critical thinking. You can think very hard about whether north is below the equator but you will never get an answer by thinking. An insult is like a jolt to the brain. If enough people insult you, then you may reconsider.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]I want that f***ing game.

Baconbits2004

About to play in exactly 2 minutes, you jelly; Beans?

Am jelly. :(

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 branketra

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]No one wants to look like they're conceding during a debate.PWSteal_Ldpinch

Then it's not a genuine debate. Maybe you don't want too look like you're concedeting but that's not true for everyone. You inadvertently revealed that you don't like to concede in a debate. I'll keep that in mind.

I mean, I don't really see how insulting provides an impetus for critical thinking, regardless.

coolbeans90

Insulting isn't an impetus for critical thinking. You can think very hard about whether north is below the equator but you will never get an answer by thinking. An insult is like a jolt to the brain. If enough people insult you, then you may reconsider.

Or you may go on a murder spree. Seriously, this is awful advice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

AA was really good. Sadly Fall is stuffed with too many awesome games and I have to make some cuts. Skyrim, Dark Souls and BF3 is what I settled on. AC will have to wait until I have time for it.Ace6301

Probably for the better, that way you can get the Robin DLC when it's out in November.Robin actually isn't a wuss in this game. Which is surprising since I've never liked him and thought it would stay that way.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 coolbeans90

Insulting isn't an impetus for critical thinking. You can think very hard about whether north is below the equator but you will never get an answer by thinking.An insult is like a jolt to the brain. If enough people insult you, then you may reconsider.

PWSteal_Ldpinch

Eh, I concede points all the time, even arguments on occasion. The fact that it's not everyone who dislikes losing is more or less inconsequential. If enough people do it, then employing said debate tactic can still, easily, have an overwhelmingly negative affect.

Your post (red) seems self-contradictory. Reconsideration requires thought.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I loved Asylum. One of the better games I played that year. If City is anywhere near as good (which it seems to be), it's going to be awesome.

coolbeans90

You won't be disappointed. For all the story quirks, the animations make it awesome.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 coolbeans90

Anyway, I am going to bed.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

[QUOTE="PWSteal_Ldpinch"]

airshocker

That's not how it works. Insults never get the individual to reconsider.

This. The only way you have is by logic and reasoning. And if that's too hard, then keep your own opinions to yourself.

PWSteal_Ldpinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PWSteal_Ldpinch

If someone is willing to reconsider their position because of an insult from some random person online then they aren't going to be hard to convince they're wrong in the first place. "Oh my god randomgsmember says I'm an idiot...what if he's right!?" No. That's never going to happen. They'll just assume you can't put forward a coherent argument and continue with their false beliefs. Ace6301

I'm not saying that an insult will immediately change someone's mind. If many people insult the person for his obviously false position, then his pride will be chipped away until he comes to the realization that he might have been wrong.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

Generally speaking no - truths delivered with a little tact and diplomacy are generally far more effective than by a means which by definition the recipient will be insulted by. In fact the insult itself is probably going to resonate louder and longer than the actual message you're trying to convey.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]If someone is willing to reconsider their position because of an insult from some random person online then they aren't going to be hard to convince they're wrong in the first place. "Oh my god randomgsmember says I'm an idiot...what if he's right!?" No. That's never going to happen. They'll just assume you can't put forward a coherent argument and continue with their false beliefs. PWSteal_Ldpinch

I'm not saying that an insult will immediately change someone's mind. If many people insult the person for his obviously false position, then his pride will be chipped away until he comes to the realization that he might have been wrong.

Looking on different sites that allow insults like reddit I have a crazy feeling reality doesn't have your back. I see opponents of accepted scientific fact get insulted all the time. They just claim they're being persecuted and cling to their dis-proven beliefs.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 branketra

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]If someone is willing to reconsider their position because of an insult from some random person online then they aren't going to be hard to convince they're wrong in the first place. "Oh my god randomgsmember says I'm an idiot...what if he's right!?" No. That's never going to happen. They'll just assume you can't put forward a coherent argument and continue with their false beliefs. PWSteal_Ldpinch

A matter of logic shouldn't come to pride. Pride should be built on reasoning IMO. "I respect the correct way because it's right" rather than "My path is the correct one, because I've won the conversation." Otherwise, what are you or anyone else so prideful about? If someone is really that stubborn about something as simple as whether or not the north is called "north" and the south "south," that's pretty bad. Especially since this is such common knowledge and it's easy to verify. I could understand if it was something a little more personal, like whether or not insulting people is the best way to improve them.

PWSteal_Ldpinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PWSteal_Ldpinch

Generally speaking no - truths delivered with a little tact and diplomacy are generally far more effective than by a means which by definition the recipient will be insulted by. In fact the insult itself is probably going to resonate louder and longer than the actual message you're trying to convey.

poptart
I'm only suggesting that insults should be used when "a little tact and diplomacy" are NOT effective. This is the whole premise of my argument.
Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

To an extent, maybe, but probably only for a short while. At one point you're just going to continue to tear someone down and ruin self-assurance in the process, which, depending on the person, they can either go up or down from. That's when, as another user said, the insult resonates louder than the motivation behind it. Constructive criticism is good, a barrage of insults isn't the most effective means of improvement imo.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I think that insults are extremely valuable in communication.

PWSteal_Ldpinch
I have had several years experience as a leader in the military, and I can explicity state that insults are not a trait of a true leader, and one who would use insults won't remain a leader for very long.