Do you still live at home?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#51 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@pero2008 said:

Do you still live at home? I still live at home.

Of course not.

I moved out at 18.

Like any normal young adult in my country do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Live at my parents house, saving up for a studio apartment. Housing here has gone completely to shit and costs way too much so for most people my age it's not worth moving out unless you can be comfortable.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

No, moved out over 12 years ago. Living in a pretty drafty, uncomfortable council flat and have done for over 12 years.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@whipassmt said:

The idea that people have to or should move out of their parents home after a certain age seems a bit silly - and can often be rude and demeaning - to me. The way I see it, unless a person gets married and starts a family of his own or has to move away in order to get a job, moving out of his parents' home just because he is a certain age and is "supposed to" move out sounds wasteful to me. Renting a place or paying a mortgage is expensive, so if a person just stays at home and avoids that unnecessary expense he can put the money saved towards wiser ends, such as saving, paying down his own debt (student loans, etc.) or helping his parents with household chores and expenses. Plus with rent, you pay rent for all those months and years, and at the end you don't own anything, so you're paying out a lot of money for a shelter that is only temporary. If you can avoid renting, why rent? Plus humans are by and large social creatures, and its not really good for someone to live alone, so its best to live with one's family.

The mindset also seems to be a bit of a cultural thing in the U.S. Anglos may buy into this idea, but it seems to me that most of the Italian-Americans I know typically don't expect people to move out once they reach a certain age, in fact they would prefer it if the kids stayed home and weren't in a hurry to grow up.

Dude, this topic is huge to me. You just don't know how i hate that way of thinking. Just because you turn 18, does not mean you have to move out your parents house, or that an 18 year old has the right to say by to their parents and leave to where ever they have to. I totally disagree. Its so messed up to that as a parent, you have to right to go after your child once they turn 18. A daughter can decide to move out with her boyfriend at 18, and there is nothing you can do as a parent. That kills me right there. But what can you do ? Absolutely nothing.