Do you preffer manual transmission or automatic?

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

Either on car or bike.

I personally have to go with manual...driving automatic is boring as hell, plus some minor and major disadvantages.

I couldn't get my car out the other day, because it's on the back of the garage, and my mom's car is in front, she had left and she had taken the keys with her, so I couldn't take her car out to take mine out, if it would have been manual, I would have just lowered the handbrake and cranked reverse and just let it roll, but since it's automatic I cant even shift to reverse because the transmission is "locked" when the car is off.

I just think that manual gives you more control of the car.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I love driving. So manual.
userXDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 userXDev
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Manual. Where's the fun in automatic
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

a proper semi-auto tranny, it's the only way to get the excitement of the stick and relexation of the auto.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#5 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Manual. Where's the fun in automaticuserXDev
Sure it's all fun and games when you take your car for a spin on the track ... But how on earth is it fun driving a manual car in rush hour traffic?
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I used to drive cars with manual transmission when I was younger. But, that was because I was reckless and pushed my cars to the limit.

Otherwise, I don't see the fun in driving manual transmission when I'm on a freeway with my speed pegged at 70 mph (via cruise control) or if I'm in city streets doing 30-35 mph.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts
manual driving looked to complicated for me so i went for automatic driving license.
skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Niether. My brother back in the day let me have a go in a carpark to learn. As soon as the car started moving i jumped out. He was in front passenger seat and thank god he pulled the handbrake and turned in time be for hitting the wall as it would have been a right off if it had hit. Ive never got back in the drivers seat again lo. Thakfully he saw the funny side of it in the end. :P  

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Driving in big cities (or anywhere around their districts) pisses me off :P So, automatic.

I also enjoy the cruisiness of AT

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Same difference between command line OSs and OSs with GUI to me.

Automatic, no contest.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#11 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Automatic here.
Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

they say that manual costs a bit of logical powers,so...automatic is better for me

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

I prefer neither. I can't drive a car no matter what and it doesn't matter if it's manual or automatic but manual transmission seems much more difficult to me to try.

I have a panic fear of cars so I don't think I will ever be able to drive a car in my life if ever.

Srbanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Srbanator
Member since 2006 • 790 Posts

Either on car or bike.

I personally have to go with manual...driving automatic is boring as hell, plus some minor and major disadvantages.

I couldn't get my car out the other day, because it's on the back of the garage, and my mom's car is in front, she had left and she had taken the keys with her, so I couldn't take her car out to take mine out, if it would have been manual, I would have just lowered the handbrake and cranked reverse and just let it roll, but since it's automatic I cant even shift to reverse because the transmission is "locked" when the car is off.

I just think that manual gives you more control of the car.

lightleggy

Actually, you can take an automatic out of shift-lock. If you look at the base of the shifter there should be a little plastic square with a notch in it. If you take that out of its socket you can stick anything that will fit into it and press and hold the button inside. That'll let you shift the car even if it's off.

As for myself, auto for a functional car, manual for a bike. Haven't tried it, but a stick shift in rush hour sounds not-so-fun.

Edit: Then again, that fuel efficiency.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

never driven manual, but i want to

GeForce-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GeForce-
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

Manual, it adds fun in driving.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts
Automatic. Too lazy for manual.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Manual

Scissorman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Scissorman88
Member since 2013 • 154 Posts

auto

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

I've never driven an auto, so I couldn't say.

simple-thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 simple-thomas
Member since 2013 • 36 Posts
Whoever loves to drive and tried both systems has to go with the manual gearbox, my pick.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#24 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I like manual, I feel like I have more of a focus on driving and some of the best cars are manual.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
never driven a auto before, but I imagine it would be much easier to drive an auto in a city.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38695 Posts
manual except for in traffic. then it sucks.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
I aint no race car driver, need to put my makeup on and rummage around with a burger lots of times and manual would make that harder
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

Automatic. I know how to drive a manual but I don't want to bother with the extra effort.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
I can drive manual..but I don't bother..I drive to get from one place to another..nothing fancy....automatic is perfectly fine by me...
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I prefer manual.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Auto

There is no fun in driving through traffic on an interstate,

might as well make it easier & more bearable.

IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts
I've never actually driven a manual car.
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I'm not that good at driving a car, so automatic for me, it's much simpler.
Right now I have 2 automatic cars, before that I drove with manual transmission.
95% of all cars in The Netherlands have manual transmission, automatic is quite rare. 

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#35 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Manual, mostly because I want to have as much control as possible.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Manual is way more fun. Only prefer automatic in heavy traffic.
Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

Manual always

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Auto. I drive a truck, not a Ferrari. Heck, even if I did, I'd still want an auto with paddle shift.

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

I aint no race car driver, need to put my makeup on and rummage around with a burger lots of times and manual would make that harderKiIIyou

Ha! I always thought you were a guy ! Any how: manual and stay out of my way.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pirate700

I love driving. So manual.Zeviander
I love driving too. I don't need to pretend that I'm running the Le Mans to enjoy it though. I like relaxing cruises.

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
Auto.
TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I love driving. So manual.Pirate700

I love driving too. I don't need to pretend that I'm running the Le Mans to enjoy it though. I like relaxing cruises.

There was this guy who drove an automatic. You put it in "D" for dummy and take off, right? Well, he was at a stop light and put it in "R" for "race".

Because I know that joke, you can tell I love manual transmission. It's not just ferrari's, I owned a hatch-back that was manual.

The main reason is not driving preferance. The man reason I love a standard is because it will break down half as often. No computers and a lot less that can go wrong with a standard.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Automatic. I tried a manual one time, never got the hang of it really. I'm sure I could do it, but I won't ever WANT a manual. The only reason I'll ever learn (and I will) is so if in an emergency the only vehicle available for me to drive is a manual, I'll be able to. I don't drive for 'fun' (is that a man thing?), I drive to get places and driving in city traffic is hard enough without the extra work of a manual imo. So many things you need to pay attention to without worrying if you're shifting correctly. And besides all that, if manual is the choice for speed demons... I follow the posted speed limits, so there's no point in me getting a really fast car because I'll never use it.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
Never driven manual but it seems like too much work. So automatic.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I love driving. So manual.TheHighWind

There was this guy who drove an automatic. You put it in "D" for dummy and take off, right? Well, he was at a stop light and put it in "R" for "race".

Because I know that joke, you can tell I love manual transmission. It's not just ferrari's, I owned a hatch-back that was manual.

The main reason is not driving preferance. The man reason I love a standard is because it will break down half as often. No computers and a lot less that can go wrong with a standard.

Actually manuals have to be maintained much more frequently then autos. The only thing an auto should need, unless it breaks, is new fluid. With manuals you have to replace the clutch and all that in somewhat regular intervals. The ECU that runs the auto transmission should never have an issue...ever.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

[QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]I love driving too. I don't need to pretend that I'm running the Le Mans to enjoy it though. I like relaxing cruises.

Pirate700

Actually manuals have to be maintained much more frequently then autos. The only thing an auto should need, unless it breaks, is new fluid. With manuals you have to replace the clutch and all that in somewhat regular intervals. The ECU that runs the auto transmission should never have an issue...ever.

The only time you need to fix a clutch is when it breaks and they only break if you are hard on the clutch or a bad driver.

It's cheaper and easier to fix than an automatic gear box.

EDIT: Also another thing you can do with a standard is called a "roll start" if your battery is dead and you can't get a jump, just put in nuetral, let it roll, pop the clutch and hit the gas peddle.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

Cars: Automatic. (You don't want to get stuck in traffic with a manual, or drive a manual when u are very tired)

Bikes: Manual.

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

[QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]I love driving too. I don't need to pretend that I'm running the Le Mans to enjoy it though. I like relaxing cruises.

Pirate700

Sorry but you're wrong about having to replace the clutch at  regular intervals.  Unless you're driving and old Yugo or Pinto:roll:

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

--Anna--

Sorry but you're wrong about having to replace the clutch at  regular intervals.  Unless you're driving and old Yugo or Pinto:roll:

I don't mean regular as in all the time. And with an auto, you should never have to do anything to it as long as you own the vehicle minus fluid change. I don't care how good of a driver you are, you have a higher chance of doing something wrong to your manual transmission than the computer does to your auto.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

Stick on the farm, auto on the road.

I hate driving. :evil: