Do you prefer to revise/study/work listening to music?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

So I've always been a person who can't revise/study/work unless I'm in complete silence with no distractions, and that includes listening to music. I find music too much of a distraction when I'm trying to concentrate as I find it too easy to focus on the music rather than what I'm reading or writing. The only time I ever really listen to music whilst working is if I am doing something mind-numbingly dull and repetitive such as number crunching and datasheet entry. I seem to be in the minority among people I know but what about you? Do you like to concentrate on work and.or study by listening to music?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I remember when I was working and studying at the same time. I would study, watch TV and listen to music at the same time because I had so little time at home =P Listening to music was never a requirement for studying though, the only time back then I had trouble with not having music with me was when I was out running.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Nope, I need silence when studying. When music is playing it's like my brain shuts off all functions and tries too hard to listen to the song. If I'm trying to concentrate on something I have to try and block out all noises around me, so what would be the point of having music on anyway?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Comic_Capers said:

So I've always been a person who can't revise/study/work unless I'm in complete silence with no distractions, and that includes listening to music.

That is me. Silence shall be absolute.

krazykarl0419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By krazykarl0419
Member since 2004 • 4057 Posts

Yeah I definitely need silence when I'm trying to concentrate. I don't understand these people that try to get work done at Starbucks or any other noisy coffee shop. I understand you own a MacBook, but I promise you - nobody cares.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

depends, studying needs total silence

work i can do while watching tv or listening to music

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I always have some music playing while I study. It's mostly game and movie soundtracks though as normal songs are indeed distracting.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

Music when making revision notes/sources, silence when I'm reading over them (and mocks, obviously).

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

No surprise, but I prefer listening to music. I actually have a playlist that's just called "Work" for when I'm writing, and if I'm doing some really intense studying I'll play Keith Jarrett's hour-long solo piano concerts.

A friend of mine listens to metalcore with his desktop speakers while doing engineering homework, and I have no idea how he concentrates with that cacophony playing, but he does.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Music, but turned down to the point where it's barely audible. Just loud enough to cover up the background noises like the fridge running or cars on the street etc.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

When I am doing mindless monotonous work I listen to fast lyrical music to keep me going.

I used to study to music with lyrics and it was hard to concentrate, but now I listen to music without lyrics when writing/reading/thinking.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

@jasean79 said:

Nope, I need silence when studying. When music is playing it's like my brain shuts off all functions and tries too hard to listen to the song. If I'm trying to concentrate on something I have to try and block out all noises around me, so what would be the point of having music on anyway?

That's exactly the same with me. I could also never understand how people in the SILENT STUDY area of my University library could study/revise whilst listening to music that was loud enough to be heard by the next two people sitting next to them. Surely that pretty much defeats the point of silent study if you're listening to music at the same time?!

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Comic_Capers said:

@jasean79 said:

That's exactly the same with me. I could also never understand how people in the SILENT STUDY area of my University library could study/revise whilst listening to music that was loud enough to be heard by the next two people sitting next to them. Surely that pretty much defeats the point of silent study if you're listening to music at the same time?!

I just want to strangle those people.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I drive for a living (or at least, I want to, I'm working on getting my Class 1/CDL right now) so listening to music while I "work" is par for the course. However, I tend to listen to talk radio in the morning (Howard Stern mostly) and music in the afternoon.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

With music. That's how I fell in love with ambient.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

No, I cant. I just start dancing and then its all over.