Do you like to watch horror movies in October if so what are your favorites?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Well Halloween is next month it always gets me in the mood to watch some horror movies are you guys the same way? if so what are some of your favorite horror movies to watch in October?

Here's some of mine

• The Blair Witch Project
  • Halloween H20
  • Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
  • The Thing 1982 version
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street 1984
  • Silent Hill 2006
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I enjoy horror movies but I won't watch them just because Halloween is coming up. I really like Alien, Exorcist and the Conjuring series.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Alice: Sweet Alice.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

Yes. I'm a big fan of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Paranormal Activity, Cabin in the Woods.

But my main Halloween tradition the last few years has been playing Twisted Metal games throughout October. While it kinda sucks the franchise fell to the wayside, there are so many games in the series that I don't think I'll ever get bored of this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@judaspete said:

Yes. I'm a big fan of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Paranormal Activity, Cabin in the Woods.

But my main Halloween tradition the last few years has been playing Twisted Metal games throughout October. While it kinda sucks the franchise fell to the wayside, there are so many games in the series that I don't think I'll ever get bored of this.

That's cool the original twisted metal games are great. I wish the series would come back too never say never I guess the Tony Hawk games just made a huge comeback so you never know.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

There's some good horror anthalogies out there. I like some good shorts as well.

• ABCs of Death
  • VHS
  • Southbound
  • Creepshow
  • XX
  • Masters of Horror Anthology

I think the Masters of Horror is arguably the best (Takashi Miike's entry is especially disturbing) because it actually has legit directors making them, but the others are just as fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@mrbojangles25 said:

There's some good horror anthalogies out there. I like some good shorts as well.

• ABCs of Death
  • VHS
  • Southbound
  • Creepshow
  • XX

I think the Masters of Horror is arguably the best (Takashi Miike's entry is especially disturbing) because it actually has legit directors making them, but the others are just as fun.

I'm a big fan of anthology series I'm going to have to check out masters of horror. I remember years ago Stephen King put out a anthology series on the TNT network called Nightmares & Dreamscapes it was pretty decent.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 judaspete

@warmblur: 90's nostalgia is pretty big right now. If they remade Twisted Metal 1 and 2 with the gameplay of 2012, I think it would be well received. Not sure if Sony is interested though. Might be more likely Activision brings back Vigilante 8 once they've run out of more popular games to remake.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

@warmblur said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

• ABCs of Death
  • VHS
  • Southbound
  • Creepshow
  • XX

I'm a big fan of anthology series I'm going to have to check out masters of horror. I remember years ago Stephen King put out a anthology series on the TNT network called Nightmares & Dreamscapes it was pretty decent.

Yeah I like them as well, they're bite-sized lol. I love horror but sometimes they can go on and I can't take it sometimes hahaha.

With anthologies I can sit there and I can take anything for 20 or so minutes at a time :D

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@judaspete said:

Funny you mention that. I haven't played Twisted Metal in over a decade. Past few days I've been itching to play them (primarily 2, 3 and Black) again. I've been trying to satisfy my craving by watching YouTube videos but it's making it worse. I'm probably going to dig my PS4 out and get Black. I just recently found out it was available for PS4 as a classic title and it's been available for a couple years lol.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@SOedipus said:
@judaspete said:

Funny you mention that. I haven't played Twisted Metal in over a decade. Past few days I've been itching to play them (primarily 2, 3 and Black) again. I've been trying to satisfy my craving by watching YouTube videos but it's making it worse. I'm probably going to dig my PS4 out and get Black. I just recently found out it was available for PS4 as a classic title and it's been available for a couple years lol.

Can one of those Twisted Metal Black stories become a movie?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

I sure do and the horror flicks I like to watch every October are:

• Any Friday the 13th movies (except Jason Goes to Hell)
  • All the Leprechaun films with Warwick Davis
  • Silent Hill
  • Resident Evil
  • Hocus Pocus
  • All the Halloween films except Resurrection
  • Nightmare on Elm Street
  • IT
  • Cabin in the Woods
  • Pumpkinhead
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58967 Posts

The Shining And The Exorcist are my favorite horror movies.

Both have slow build ups and great pay-offs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@davillain- said:

I sure do and the horror flicks I like to watch every October are:

• Any Friday the 13th movies (except Jason Goes to Hell)
  • All the Leprechaun films with Warwick Davis
  • Silent Hill
  • Resident Evil
  • Hocus Pocus
  • All the Halloween films except Resurrection
  • Nightmare on Elm Street
  • IT
  • Cabin in the Woods
  • Pumpkinhead

Nice list, Silent Hill IMO will always be the best movie based on a video game it has aged very well there's some really great cinematic shots in there.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 judaspete

@SOedipus: Do it. Black is great. Most people say it's the peak of the series. I prefer Head On personally, because its basically a remake of TM2, and has the goofy tone of the old games. But most people disagree with me about that.

@PSP107: Black is when the series went dark, and it just never sat well with me. The core concept is too absurd to take itself so seriously. I prefer the Saturday morning cartoon dark of the ps1 games over the actual dark of Black and 2012. I know I'm in the minority about this.

Black is great in every other way though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
Member since 2020 • 2126 Posts

Nightmare before Christmas. Such disrespect.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Only kind of horror movies I like are about ghosts and stuff. Used to love poltergeist when I was younger but The shining and The conjuring are my two go to horror movies now :)

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PSP107

@judaspete: "Black is when the series went dark, and it just never sat well with me. The core concept is too absurd to take itself so seriously."

You dont think Sweet Tooth can become a horror movie villian?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 judaspete

@PSP107: Not if he's driving around in an ice cream truck with machine guns that transforms into a mech.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Paranormal Activity.

I know many (passionately) hate and roll their eyes at this film. It's brilliant in its overall premise. It has its faults for sure, but I think it very effectively honed in on something that's very unsettling: the vulnerability of sleep. A very primal and base fear that's been with us since our earliest days. It's frightening to ponder how susceptible we all are to something seemingly so innocuous that's required of us every single day. We're completely helpless, and the film did an excellent job of conveying that. Being dragged out of bed and attacked while unconscious? **** that shit, even just the thought of that makes me incredibly uneasy.

The Exorcist and other horror films so praised? They don't do shit to me as PA does. Sure they have their scary moments, but PA actually got under my skin and left me jumping at sounds in the night. I don't like the notion of becoming prey simply due to the fact that my body requires sleep. It's something I'd rather not think on.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#21 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Yeah of course. I watch horror year round, but Halloween is as good an excuse as any.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@MirkoS77 said:

Paranormal Activity.

I know many (passionately) hate and roll their eyes at this film. It's brilliant in its overall premise. It has its faults for sure, but I think it very effectively honed in on something that's very unsettling: the vulnerability of sleep. A very primal and base fear that's been with us since our earliest days. It's frightening to ponder how susceptible we all are to something seemingly so innocuous that's required of us every single day. We're completely helpless, and the film did an excellent job of conveying that. Being dragged out of bed and attacked while unconscious? **** that shit, even just the thought of that makes me incredibly uneasy.

The Exorcist and other horror films so praised? They don't do shit to me as PA does. Sure they have their scary moments, but PA actually got under my skin and left me jumping at sounds in the night. I don't like the notion of becoming prey simply due to the fact that my body requires sleep. It's something I'd rather not think on.

I like Blair Witch 2 book of shadows so I understand the feeling of people hating a movie you like lol. But yeah I remember watching Paranormal Activity years ago I thought it was pretty good not bad at all compared to all the other shit out there.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 judaspete

@MirkoS77: Agree with everthing you wrote. The Paranormal activity movies are the only horror films that I saw as an adult that actually scared me.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

• ABCs of Death
  • VHS
  • Southbound
  • Creepshow
  • XX

Our British friends have given us some wonderful anthology films:

The House That Dripped Blood

Dr. Terror House of Terrors

Tales From The Crypt

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#25 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I was planning to watch a few but at this rate I'll probably only get around to watching Adam Sandler's: Hubie Halloween once it's out on Netflix.

As mixed as people are with his movies, I still tend to enjoy a lot of his stuff. Big Daddy in particular.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1345 Posts

@PSP107:

Yes that game had some amazing storylines to it.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PSP107

@judaspete: " Not if he's driving around in an ice cream truck with machine guns that transforms into a mech."

No machines or transforming but keep the truck?

@ratchetclank92: "Yes that game had some amazing storylines to it."

What was your favorite? I recalled the Mr. Grim being disturbing.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#29 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I've decided to watch at least one horror movie per day through October this year. Some of my all-time favourites include:

- An American Werewolf In London (1981)
- The Changeling (1980)
- The Haunting (1963)
- Halloween (1978) & Halloween II (1981)
- Sleepy Hollow (1999)
- The Fog (1980)
- The Thing (1982)
- Tremors (1990)
- Dog Soldiers (2002)
- Stir Of Echoes (1999)
- The Devil Rides Out (1968)
- Underworld 1 & 2
- Evil Dead 2 (1987) & Evil Dead 3 (1992)
- Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)
- Legend Of Hill House (1973)
- The Frighteners (1996)
- Jaws (1975)

There are others I could have added to this list, but I'll leave it at 20. Also, I have a soft spot for old monster movies.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#30 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

I don't watch horror movies in general anymore, but when I did, I didn't feel the need in October specifically. In any case, I do have some favorites:

• Nosferatu (the '20s original)
  • Homicidal (a Psycho ripoff by William Castle)
  • Carnival of Souls
  • Night of the Living Dead (the '60s original)
  • Rosemary's Baby (the '60s original)
  • The Wicker Man
  • Don't Look Now
  • Sisters
  • Black Christmas (the '70s original)
  • Halloween (the '70s original)
  • Nosferatu (Hertzog's '70s remake)
  • Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the '70s remake)
  • The Shining (the Kubrick original)
  • The Thing (the '80s remake)
  • Angel Heart
  • Poltergeist (the '80s original)
  • The Serpent and the Rainbow
  • Ringu (and The Ring)
  • Hereditary
  • Midsommer

Honestly, that's not even close to an exhaustive list. I tend to prefer psychological and supernatural horror, but I shy away from anything that seems overly bloody or vicious. I like it when some religious cult is involved, especially if it's secretive or just not out in the open.

HankMulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HankMulder
Member since 2020 • 203 Posts

One of the best I've watched are Shiver (hidden gem of a movie) and it's best you go into it with just this trailer.

Loading Video...

Also loving Dead Alive/Brain Dead for some out there zombie gorefest action and Tales from the Darkside movie.

sallysparr0w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sallysparr0w
Member since 2020 • 13 Posts

I always re-watch Harry Potter or Once Upon a Time. More atmospheric

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#33 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58967 Posts

@Gallowhand said:

I've decided to watch at least one horror movie per day through October this year. Some of my all-time favourites include:

- An American Werewolf In London (1981)

- The Changeling (1980)

- The Haunting (1963)

- Halloween (1978) & Halloween II (1981)

- Sleepy Hollow (1999)

- The Fog (1980)

- The Thing (1982)

- Tremors (1990)

- Dog Soldiers (2002)

- Stir Of Echoes (1999)

- The Devil Rides Out (1968)

- Underworld 1 & 2

- Evil Dead 2 (1987) & Evil Dead 3 (1992)

- Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)

- Legend Of Hill House (1973)

- The Frighteners (1996)

- Jaws (1975)

There are others I could have added to this list, but I'll leave it at 20. Also, I have a soft spot for old monster movies.

Underrated.