Do you ever wonder what old users are doing now?

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

User Lists: 0

#1 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

I lie awake at night wondering sometimes as an ild school OTer: where are we all now? I was back here in the last 2000s and now there are so many fresh new faces.

Sound off old folks of OT! Where are you now?

Tough-Scene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Tough-Scene
Member since 2023 • 2 Posts

I believe one went on to become an amateur non-fiction writer focusing on the trials and tribulations of his middle eastern friend.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Been thinking about the past lately too and old faces that we don't see around here much. Keep in touch with some of them and sometimes wish I didn't. Probably the biggest thing that has impacted me was a guy I used to look up too a lot started to break up his movie watching. Like not just watching half a movie one night then finishing it the next. He will constantly have watched parts of various movies and then finish them sometimes weeks later. Several times I've woken up at nights in a cold sweat from nightmares about it.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#4 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

I think about a few other folks and get real nervous about where they are. It's like they fell off the face of the earth or, even worse, are in prison. I guess the latter xould never happen since we're all a bunch of silly dweebuses (in the best way) but hey man who knows?

Cool seeing you by the way Dave.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts

I'm at the age and place where I've decided to rock a moustache. I'm still not sure if it's a good place, or a bad place, I just know it's funny where life can take you

Miss the old guard

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 409 Posts

By this point I barely remember a lot of the older users from circa 2008-2015. I still remember how the 2013-ish shake up changed the site and scared off a lot of people. It killed the social aspect of blogging here.

I guess I do think about Jaysonguy from time to time. I remember we'd always Clash over things on the forums, often in disagreement but occasionally we'd see eye to eye.

But most usernames and personalities got lost in the shuffle for me. People I followed on here I barely remember and yet I do remember Jaysonguy. I guess it paid to be someone with a controversial take on things.

Edit: Well I guess I barely answered the op's question about where I'm at now.

I visited GS since like 2000, but didn't become active on the forums here until probably 2008 or so.

Nowadays I'm hanging in there. Still gaming, still have a job, finally got a girlfriend again after 7 years of being single. I don't visit gs as much these days but I'm still around.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Oleg Huzwog was amusing. I sometimes wonder what happened to him. Then there was that depressed guy with the Cure avatar. I assume he's passed of old age by now.

Me, I left ages ago. Glad I didn't stick around to see what became of this place.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17860 Posts

Yeah, there's a few users who just disappeared I wouldn't mind catching up with. Wouldn't know how to get in touch with them now, though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

The only time I think about the older, gone users is when someone makes a thread like this lol.

I do miss some of them when I think about it, but I also miss the old site as well. I mean really that's what it comes down to: Gamespot changed the format, the layout, and we lost good users.

Oh ya and also we lost a bunch during the April Fool's Day Massacre, where we found out who could take a joke and who could not. That was the last straw for a lot of people.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59021 Posts

I hope most of them aren't alive.

Esp the traitors.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26103 Posts

@rewgle: Yeah, the 2013 update killed off blogs and I miss them. And what sucks is that this site is still stuck in its 2013 version without any sign of it updating.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34625 Posts

I don't remember them. So no.

@rewgle said:

People I followed on here I barely remember and yet I do remember Jaysonguy. I guess it paid to be someone with a controversial take on things.

lol, Jaysonguy. Now I remember. Wasn't he just extremely against everything except Ubisoft's rabbids?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10454 Posts

@Litchie: yeah i remember him. had a cat avatar iirc. always remember a thread from the pc forum back in the day when he said piracy was worse than pedophilia and he got massacred lol. one of those tw@ts who just wants to argue. bit like that starshine guy who pops up on system wars every blue moon.

there were a lot of great posters on the pc forum back then. baranga is one of the few names i remember. extremely knowledgeable guy and great poster. another casualty of the great forum redesign

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3480 Posts

Either they have moved on with their life or have sadly passed away without telling us :'(

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

There's actually a fair few that have passed through that I remember and miss.

GabuEx always felt like a cool guy and seemed to think of things differently than others. If you presented him with a scenario that had only two or three apparent answers he would always think of an unconsidered possibility that would make just as much, if not far more sense. I miss that Brony.

Names are escaping me here, so help me out. We had a conservative police officer who lived in New York (I should really remember his username), and also did landscaping on the side if I remember correctly. We clashed politically, but he generally seemed like a reasonable person.

We had another guy who was a church leader of sorts. People always felt like he was a very relaxed person.

Theokoth who made a little fanfiction trilogy about the regular users, and he had fabulous silver hair (maybe lol)

Sajedene was our resident hottie who was also really smart, fiery, and a great person if you got to know her. She lived (lives?) out in California and did a lot of production stuff.

Finally, Omni-slash (I'm pretty sure on that name) who always struck me as both cool, and a really good dad as well as husband.

Damn, we really use to have quite a diverse group, and this isn't anywhere near everyone (McJugga!) who was fun to be around and converse with. This place use to really have a ton of greatness.

Does anyone have that old group facepalm photo comp? I was going to post it for this thread, but I just can't find it. I'm afraid it may be lost to history.

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 409 Posts

@Macutchi: @Litchie: Yes, that is the guy! He always marched to his own drum beat for sure lol. I wish I could remember more great people like Baranga, but for whatever reason my memory just doesn't work that way. I remember most of you now by your avatars, which you don't change nearly as often as I do. : D

@Willy105:It most definitely is still stuck in that same spot, 10 years later. Wow that's hard to believe lol. That redesign was the single definitive moment where we lost a lot of great posters on this website.

@uninspiredcup: Do you refer to the people who left in 2013 as traitors? I mean I can't really blame you, they're the ones who gave up and left. They could still be here keeping things alive like us, but they just left. We lost some really great bloggers back then.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

I still check here. I miss many of the old users, too.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9555 Posts

Sometimes people just move on to newer and better things. These forums have been dying for years, and its safe to say that most of us just come here for the familiarity and routine.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16006 Posts

Yeah, definitely. I miss people like GabuEx, Tofu Lion, Xaos and Darth-Caedus. *sigh* good times.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

ive been here since around 2002 my first time and on SW, rarely ever go on OT. This account is my second one, after I lost my first one. But yes, there are posters I missed, and it was definitely more lively back then too.

I hope they're all doing well, or passed away after living a good life. The people I agreed with and the annoying ones too 🤣

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts

they all left for TFG or TDH

if you're in this, you're cool

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts

@comp_atkins: I must be cool. I see my old avatar in there. LOL.

There were some cool people who passed through here. Used to be really busy place.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sancho_Panzer

@LJS9502_basic: oh yeah... You had that spidery, spirally thing. Well that's that joke ruined then, lol.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Serraph105

@comp_atkins: What does TFG stand for? TDH is the daily happening, correct?

Also, I was searching through my hardrive last night and I saw a copy of that mosaic, but I couldn't find the group compilation of the facepalm pics, do you happen to have a copy of it? I know it's in my old 10k post party topic, but I can't find that either. I tried the wayback machine, which apparently I'm terrible at making use of, and I tried google, but to no avail.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Serraph105

Also, I hope Gaza Ali is doing well. I know he was trying to get out of Gaza, but I really don't know if he did or not.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic

@sancho_panzer said:

@LJS9502_basic: oh yeah... You had that spidery, spirally thing. Well that's that joke ruined then, lol.

Cry harder.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

I have been here since 2003 (This is my second account). I remember those union groups you could make and you can earn those profile achievements.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

Been here off and on since 2005. I miss those old days when it felt like gamespot had more hardass critics. Now it feels like so many stupid games get 10s or 9s no problem. Kevin van Ord saved me a lot of money in my teens.

Now i've hardly got time for this place. Finally got a new job where im actually doing something. Last job i had i was working from home but hardly had any work to do and after repeatedly asking my boss then for more work and being ignored, I abused the job and played video games and commented here all day.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sancho_Panzer

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sancho_panzer said:

Cry harder.

No, you're not my mother.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic

@sancho_panzer said:

No, you're not my mother.

Huh? Have some morning coffee, you're not making sense.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

@comp_atkins: What does TFG stand for? TDH is the daily happening, correct?

Also, I was searching through my hardrive last night and I saw a copy of that mosaic, but I couldn't find the group compilation of the facepalm pics, do you happen to have a copy of it? I know it's in my old 10k post party topic, but I can't find that either. I tried the wayback machine, which apparently I'm terrible at making use of, and I tried google, but to no avail.

the foreign grounds iirc was the first big splinter board and then yeah the daily happening which i think was bigger. not sure if it's still around.

not sure what facepalm pic you mean. i know there's generic ones floating around or was it a GS specific thing that someone had made?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Serraph105

@comp_atkins: we had posted photos of ourselves doing facepalm poses and somebody put them together in a messy looking collage.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127508 Posts

Omni slash went on with the daily happening, did he not?

Pianist or piano man was a relax user who made thoughtful comments in debates if I remember correctly.

Drifter1924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Drifter1924
Member since 2023 • 79 Posts

After my old account "Drifter19" was lost in 2011, (alongside YT account), I haven't logged in much until now. I just wish I can get it back.

Drifter1924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Drifter1924
Member since 2023 • 79 Posts

>new faces

Don't be fooled. Most of them are old users, people lose thier accounts a lot, (like me because I stupidaly linked my email with my phone in 2011, then lost it.). BUt yes, really new people here.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

I'm still around, though with my name change some won't know me.
I used to go by 2ndWonder been a OTer since 2006.

I do miss a lot of the people I used to chat with over the years.

Lu_Bu01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Lu_Bu01
Member since 2005 • 13551 Posts

hey guys what's going on

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

I do think about some of the older OTers from time to time. I remember a guy who was going through seminary, and possibly a degree in theology beyond that, by the name of (I might be wrong on this) mindstorm.

Not just him though. There are others. Usernames don't come easily to me. It's been a long time, and I don't even post here that much anymore.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

Ive visited the site since early 2000s but not long ago started posting. I mostly posted on ign during that time.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#40 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I jump back on here now & then, have been busy with work in general plus also coffee cup art drawing too for fun

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#41 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

@benleslie5: Nice to see you! I remember you back from the "Golden Era" or GameSpot. Hope you're doing well!

Myself I joined GS in 2005, I was a Moderator from 2008 to 2014. Autumn 2013 was when the GameSpot forums were decimated and old GameSpot UK Discussion was destroyed without any warning (even to the Mods), killing that community. After that, my interest waned. A decade ago now!

Now I'm in my 30s and have a full-time job, but I still look back on the 2005-2014 era of GameSpot with nostalgia. And I still play video games, and review them for my own site (entertainium.co). Some of the most fun I've ever had online was watching E3 in the old GS live chat.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 701 Posts

The ponies left and crying or come to Xbox now and change the user name bc the shame 😆😆😆

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#43 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

@gbrading: E3 back then were great times, great that you are doing really well