Do you agree/disagree with this statement about college?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Squall18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 Squall18
Member since 2004 • 3756 Posts

"Major in something that will bring in the money, minor in something that you love."

I've been out of school for a while now, and though I went for a high demand degree, I love what I do. That being said, I heard this statement over lunch with a friend of mine and couldn't help but think how true it was.

BY NO MEANS am I saying a college degree of any kind is fruitless. But since starting my career, I know a LOT of friends who still are paying off student loans and can't find work in their fields. I've been blessed with a great living, but I can't help but feel some college degrees cheat out a lot of people in the real world.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts
flip it. that way if you can't get work doing stuff you like, you have a backup
Squall18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Squall18
Member since 2004 • 3756 Posts

flip it. that way if you can't get work doing stuff you like, you have a backupcomp_atkins

True, though I would just do a double major.  Minors really don't get jobs in my field, but they're neat to have!

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#5 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I disagree. I don't see much point in gettting a minor that's unrelated to your major because it most likely would be based on the statement.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

You have to do something you love, period.  If you hate your career path/subject, people won't hire you, your work will suck, etc. 

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I have no interest in getting a minor. What's the point of it, it just means that I'm going to spend some more time going to college and possibly using more of my parents money to attend college. I already have no interest in college, only reason I'm going to college is to get a degree. Halfway to getting a bachelors degree :Dgreenjello1

Most colleges require 120 credits worth of classes to graduate. Most programs, inlcuding general education requirements found in all programs, only require about 90 - 96 credits worth of required classes. You usually have about 30 credits of classes to play around with. Thats generally enough to come out with a minor.

For my Computer Science degree, up to Calculus 2 and Elementary Statistics is required. If i choose to complete Calculus 3 and Advanced Statistics - just two more math classes - i end up with a Math minor.

In many cases, you can end up with a major and a minor at no extra cost or time.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]flip it. that way if you can't get work doing stuff you like, you have a backupSquall18

True, though I would just do a double major.  Minors really don't get jobs in my field, but they're neat to have!

Some colleges don't have double majors anymore.

That being said.  Get a degree in a field that you plan on working in.  For hobbies, there is no need to spend thousands and thousands of dollars.

IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts
I would have hated going to college and majoring in something I didn't enjoy. Most of my friends don't even work in the field they majored in. In my head you should major and minor in what you enjoy. Even if that isn't really profitable. Then again I am not a very practical person.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Things you find interesting in school (aka almost all of it) doesn't necessarily translate to something you will like doing for a living.  Most jobs suck.  That said, you have to do something you can at least tolerate.  You really should pick something you like in school. If you don't like it in school, then you stand a decent chance of hating in the workforce.  Anyway, work to live, not the other way around. 

dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts
Just plan correctly and get 2 majors. It isn't all that difficult to triple major if you can plan everything out before you begin.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

You have to do something you love, period.  If you hate your career path/subject, people won't hire you, your work will suck, etc. 

wis3boi
This.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Discover what you love to do, then discover a field that makes money that lets you do that. For example, I love being creative and simply making various stuff. So I've set my sights on being a design engineer. The things you love can often be found in these fields if you look for them. It really does require a true understanding of the fundamentals of why you enjoy doing what you enjoy doing, though. That is the utmost most important part, I believe.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I generally agree with it. A lot of people get "useless" degrees because they love it, only to ask themselves why they can't find any jobs after graduation. I think it's important to like what you're doing, but I also feel like over time you can find fields you once thought to be boring to be semi-enjoyable. However, I think one problem with not getting a job in the field your degree is in is due to a person's unwillingness to move. I have friends who graduated with degrees in very specific fields who can't find work because they live in a city where that career just is not present. The city has virtually no companies that hold that type of career, yet they're surprised when they can't find work. Then I have other friends who understood this, applied to companies in other states, got jobs there, and moved. If you get a degree in something you love, be prepared to move cities. That's at least what I've personally noticed.