Do dreams become more advanced as entertainment becomes more interactive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Succumbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Succumbus
Member since 2004 • 597 Posts

So I did this paper a while back, in like, 4th grade, on an article about how our dreams can become more sophisticated as the entertainment industry advances in it's interactivity. I never really though of it as much until now.

I recently bought the game Crysis, which, is pretty interactive as most graphics and physics in games go. In the game you are able to enter and interact with vehicles, destroy buildings, and do a number of other things that all registers under the physics portion of the game. Also there are vast levels which are pretty widespread and have interactive plants, shadows, trees, etc...which adds to the realism of the game in some aspects.

I had a dream the other night, where basically there was a laid out map, where I went different places multiple times and knew I had been there before because I could change the environment and come back and it would be the same. There were also vehicles on the map (in my case a row boat and a beat up truck) which I used multiple times. There was a house in the middle of a lake some person took me to earlier, which I had remembered and returned back again. Then I traveled farther down which led to a shed like structure with junk everywhere and the old truck sitting there, which I crashed in some trees later on and it broke down (just like in the game...well, they explode, but you know what I mean). Then I traveled past some ruined buildings along to a cave where a giant worm lived, and I was swalloed, and spat out. I dont really know the meaning of this, but after that I went back to all the places I went previously with everything how I left it.

What Im trying to say in all this is that the map was fully interactive, like the game, and I feel that the dream/playing the game definately had relative aspects about them.

Oh heres a picture of the map I drew out real quick (Its not that good)

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/Voltagemoon/map.jpg

and the key: A - being the place I woke up - B - being the lake with the boat dock - C - the house in the middle of the lake I traveled multiple times to - D - the place where the junk and truck was - E - An area of buildings - F - A cave with a giant worm in it - G - The mouth of a river

So has anyone else had any experiences with interactive dreams due to realistic games and such??

/end rant

lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
I once had a dream where I sat at my computer playing battlefront.
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts

I once had a dream where I sat at my computer playing battlefront.lycrof

I laughed at that... In a major way.

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts
But real life has an unlimited amount of things to dream about.... dreams don't become "more advanced" because we have video games.
lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts

[QUOTE="lycrof"]I once had a dream where I sat at my computer playing battlefront.gobo212

The funny thing is nothing was off about it. There were no crazy new game mechanics or I wasn't better than I normally was. It was normal Battlefront.

gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
[QUOTE="gobo212"]

[QUOTE="lycrof"]I once had a dream where I sat at my computer playing battlefront.lycrof

The funny thing is nothing was off about it. There were no crazy new game mechanics or I wasn't better than I normally was. It was normal Battlefront.

I always have really wacky dreams about getting kidnapped and wrestling Ligers in the Alpha Centauri system.

Succumbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Succumbus

But real life has an unlimited amount of things to dream about.... dreams don't become "more advanced" because we have video games.FamiBox

I know that,

but it could have a play in the virtual world of video games...our minds can recreate it or our forms of entertainment.

Such as in the days of black and white television people sometimes had dreams in black and white, they still saw color, but dreamt in black and white every once in a while.

Succumbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Succumbus

But real life has an unlimited amount of things to dream about.... dreams don't become "more advanced" because we have video games.FamiBox

I know that,

but it could have a play in the virtual world of video games...our minds can recreate it or our forms of entertainment.

Such as in the days of black and white television people sometimes had dreams in black and white, they still saw color, but dreamt in black and white every once in a while.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

[QUOTE="FamiBox"]But real life has an unlimited amount of things to dream about.... dreams don't become "more advanced" because we have video games.Succumbus

I know that,

Doesn't mean much. Everything is interpreted by your're brain thats what sees, hears, feels etc. Same thing in dreams, so its jsut like reality.

Avatar image for instantdeath999
instantdeath999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 instantdeath999
Member since 2007 • 3470 Posts
I rarely have dreams, but when I do... they are usually so odd that they are impossible to put into words.
dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts

I once had a dream where I sat at my computer playing battlefront.lycrof

:lol: last night i was playing DMC4, then i went to bed, dreamed about playing DMC4, then woke up, and played it some more :P

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts
Dude... Wait... What?
ernie1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ernie1989
Member since 2004 • 8547 Posts
I rarely dream, unfortunately.
Wetall_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wetall_basic
Member since 2003 • 4086 Posts
I get what your saying,but I disagree. Dreams wont become more interactive or visual,rather you seem to have had a dream where your relating the interactivity of a game to the dream you were having. It's no more interactive than any other dream but having an anchor in the real world,something to relate it to, I can see where your coming from.

As for me,I rarely remember my dreams and in the few instances I do,they tend to be not so pleasent. I can recall pleasent dreams at one point,but for the most part I simply have nightmares at this stage of my life. Heh,nightmares are a funny thing though,right? I mean,one second your fleeing from some ambivilent force,fearing for you life and the next you're in bed,safe from all but your own mind.
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts

There is no doubt dreams are influenced by what you have experienced through your senses, but I'm not sure what you mean by more advanced. All you're doing is imitating what happens in the game. If anything it does the opposite. It requires less of our imagination to fill in the gaps. More believable scenarios in games only reinforce what we understand about the world instead of challenging it, therefore our perceptions do not change.

I have had dreams about being in games before, but they are always infinitely harder than their real life counterparts.