Difference between Atheists and Agnostics?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

I've always heard that an Agnostic is just an open-minded Atheist

And vice versa

Discuss?

#2 Posted by thegerg (15462 posts) -
Not necessarily. An atheist is one who does not believe that there is a god. An agnostic is one who believes it is impossible to know whether or not there is a god.
#3 Posted by airshocker (29926 posts) -

Google it.

#4 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

This video sums it up nicely.

#5 Posted by Tylendal (14680 posts) -
Agnostics say that .999999999999999999999 =/= 1.
#6 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

They are not mutually exclusive. One is a statement of lack of belief (atheism) and the other is the position on that belief (agnosticism).  The word agnostic on its own has no value because it doesn't tell me what you're agnostic about.

#7 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -
Agnostics say that .999999999999999999999 =/= 1.Tylendal
Where'd you get this statistic from.
#8 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Agnosticism is not a belief, it is a position on knowledge regarding a belief. A gnostic theist KNOWS God exists and believes in it. An agnostic atheist doesn't know whether or not a God exists but does not believe in one. The vast majority of atheists are de facto agnostics, as they know they can't make an ultimate comment on the existence of the supernatural, one way or the other.
#9 Posted by themajormayor (25854 posts) -

"an agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a deity or deities, whereas a theist and an atheist believe and disbelieve, respectively."

#10 Posted by themajormayor (25854 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Agnosticism is not a belief, it is a position on knowledge regarding a belief. A gnostic theist KNOWS God exists and believes in it. An agnostic atheist doesn't know whether or not a God exists but does not believe in one. The vast majority of atheists are de facto agnostics, as they know they can't make an ultimate comment on the existence of the supernatural, one way or the other.

So gnostics doesn't exist making the term agnostic redundant?
#11 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Agnosticism is not a belief, it is a position on knowledge regarding a belief. A gnostic theist KNOWS God exists and believes in it. An agnostic atheist doesn't know whether or not a God exists but does not believe in one. The vast majority of atheists are de facto agnostics, as they know they can't make an ultimate comment on the existence of the supernatural, one way or the other.themajormayor

'gnostic' applies to either an atheist OR a theist.  They know 100% for sure god does or does not exist.  Gnostic atheists are rare

#12 Posted by Tylendal (14680 posts) -
[QUOTE="Tylendal"]Agnostics say that .999999999999999999999 =/= 1.MetalDogGear

It's a metaphor. An atheist acknowledges that all things are possible, but acknowledges that some ideas are so remotely unlikely as to be essentially impossible. Same as how 0.9 repeating essentially equals 1. Agnostics say "It's possible". Atheists say "It's too improbable."
#13 Posted by themajormayor (25854 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]Agnosticism is not a belief, it is a position on knowledge regarding a belief. A gnostic theist KNOWS God exists and believes in it. An agnostic atheist doesn't know whether or not a God exists but does not believe in one. The vast majority of atheists are de facto agnostics, as they know they can't make an ultimate comment on the existence of the supernatural, one way or the other.wis3boi

'gnostic' applies to either an atheist OR a theist.  They know 100% for sure god does or does not exist.  Gnostic atheists are rare

They're not rare. They don't exist. Redundant term.
#14 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"] So gnostics doesn't exist making the term agnostic redundant? themajormayor

I'm an agnostic atheist.  I've met a few gnostic ones.  Yes they exist.

#15 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
They're not rare. They don't exist. Redundant term. themajormayor
Most adolescent atheists are gnostic.
#16 Posted by thegerg (15462 posts) -
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="Tylendal"]Agnostics say that .999999999999999999999 =/= 1.Tylendal

It's a metaphor. An atheist acknowledges that all things are possible, but acknowledges that some ideas are so remotely unlikely as to be essentially impossible. Same as how 0.9 repeating essentially equals 1. Agnostics say "It's possible". Atheists say "It's too improbable."

"Atheists say "It's too improbable."" Not all of them, and that's an important distinction.
#17 Posted by themajormayor (25854 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

They can say they know but they can't know. They're "agnostic" just as everyone else but might have stronger or weaker "faith"
#18 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

Not necessarily. An atheist is one who does not believe that there is a god. An agnostic is one who believes it is impossible to know whether or not there is a god.thegerg
Got it in the first post.

Or if you prefer Stephen Colbert's definition, agnostics are atheists without balls.

#19 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]They're not rare. They don't exist. Redundant term. themajormayor

They can say they know but they can't know. They're "agnostic" just as everyone else but might have stronger or weaker "faith"

If you want to be specific on religions, I'm gnostic when it comes to the major religions of the world. I'm positive, for example, the god of the bible doesn't exist.

#20 Posted by MonsieurX (30473 posts) -

Google it.

airshocker
#21 Posted by mindstorm (15242 posts) -
As far as the literal meaning of the words atheist means "no God" (a=negation, theos=god) while agnostic means "no knowledge" (a=negation, gnosis=knowledge). As such, one could argue that the biggest difference is their degree of certainty. However, the terms have often taken a life of their own and can mean other things as well. As an example, to say that I am a gnostic theist in one since is extremely right yet to say that I am a Gnostic Christian is far from the truth. I do indeed believe with a degree of certainty (hence gnostic theist) yet I am not remotely affiliated with the early church heresy called Gnosticism (such as their attributing only deity to Jesus and not humanity, for instance).
#22 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23865 posts) -

atheists stop at a playground jump out and tell the kids running around with their arms extended playing airplane that they are not in fact airplanes and are stupid for pretending.

agnostics  just drive by and let  the kids play and ignore the atheists lecturing them.

#23 Posted by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

I define my agnosticism as "i just don't know yet". Perhaps we may know for certain later. I'll even practice a religious-type faith here and there as a 'belief', but I don't treat my belief as a slam dunk universal fact and say to anyone, ''you're wrong''.

#24 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
I define myself being agnostic as that I don't know, I don't see any evidence for it, and science explains away a lot of "God's" phenomenons. But again, I don't know. It's improbable and very unlikely, but I won't say there isn't a God because I can't be sure. There is a lot to prove against a supreme being, and very little pointing to that there might be one aside from what religious yuppies come up with ("God cured my terminal illness!", "God led me out of danger!", "God saved my marriage!".).
#25 Posted by pariah3 (1000 posts) -

I'm quite positive that God doesn't exist and I'm even more positive that the God of the Bible doesn't exist.

#26 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

I only just read up on it myself. Atheists flat out don't believe in any sort of deity. Agnostics are those who don't swing one way or the other. They don't necessarily believe in a deity, but are open to the thought.

#27 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

wis3boi

If you want to be specific on religions, I'm gnostic when it comes to the major religions of the world. I'm positive, for example, the god of the bible doesn't exist.

Your new signature is awesome. Much better than the galactic apocalypse you used to have.

#28 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"] They can say they know but they can't know. They're "agnostic" just as everyone else but might have stronger or weaker "faith"sune_Gem

Your new signature is awesome. Much better than the galactic apocalypse you used to have.

violent galaxies are awesome

#29 Posted by thegerg (15462 posts) -

I only just read up on it myself. Atheists flat out don't believe in any sort of deity. Agnostics are those who don't swing one way or the other. They don't necessarily believe in a deity, but are open to the thought.

sune_Gem

Maybe you should read up on it again, that's not how agnostic is defined. 

#30 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

violent galaxies are awesome

They're scary!

#31 Posted by gamerguru100 (10647 posts) -

His ass.
#32 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

I am an athiest simply because there is zero evidence for god. Also having grown up in a country which was religion heavy I have a distrust of organised religion due to how corrupt and morally destitute it is.

#33 Posted by toast_burner (21790 posts) -

Agnostic and atheist aren't exclusive from each other. 

You can be agnosic and an atheist, you can be agnostic and a christian, etc.

#34 Posted by Tylendal (14680 posts) -
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="Tylendal"]Agnostics say that .999999999999999999999 =/= 1.gamerguru100

His ass.

I'm still trying to figure out how a metaphor is the same thing as a statistic. Seriously. What did I say that had anything to do with any sort of statistic?
#36 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10164 posts) -
This sums it up nicely ^ Watch.
#37 Posted by th3warr1or (20640 posts) -
They're not mutually exclusive. My friend is an agnostic atheist (or was it atheist agnostic). He doesn't believe that a god exists, but is open to the possibility.
#38 Posted by Teenaged (31746 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]They're not rare. They don't exist. Redundant term. themajormayor

I dont think it matters whether they can actually know. The term gnostic and agnostic simply describes the perception of the person himself/herself about their belief, not if their perception is valid.

Thats what I gather. But I'm no expert.

#39 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

Teenaged

I dont think it matters whether they can actually know. The term gnostic and agnostic simply describes the perception of the person himself/herself about their belief, not if their perception is valid.

Thats what I gather. But I'm no expert.

I agree.

#40 Posted by HomicidalCherry (959 posts) -

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="Tylendal"]Agnostics say that .999999999999999999999 =/= 1.Tylendal

.9999999999(repeating) does = 1.  There's mathematical proof. :P  Totally different situation!

#41 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

atheists stop at a playground jump out and tell the kids running around with their arms extended playing airplane that they are not in fact airplanes and are stupid for pretending.

agnostics  just drive by and let  the kids play and ignore the atheists lecturing them.

Riverwolf007
Shadowmoses likes this
#42 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

Agnostics say that .999999999999999999999 =/= 1.Tylendal

That's because it equals .999999999999999999999

#43 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]atheists stop at a playground jump out and tell the kids running around with their arms extended playing airplane that they are not in fact airplanes and are stupid for pretending.agnostics  just drive by and let  the kids play and ignore the atheists lecturing them.dave123321
Shadowmoses likes this

i like that god is represented by kids pretending to be airplanes
#44 Posted by comp_atkins (31476 posts) -
they way i view it is an atheist cares about being right about there being no deities and will try to defend that belief. an agnostic is more like "eh... whatever" regarding said existence..
#45 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't the idea of the universe coming into existance or something that same percentage?
#46 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

[QUOTE="Tylendal"]Agnostics say that .999999999999999999999 =/= 1.Necrifer

.3333333 = 1/3 .666666666666 = 2/3 .999999999999999 = ????
#47 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

[QUOTE="Necrifer"]

.3333333 = 1/3

.666666666666 = 2/3

.999999999999999 = ????

None of those are correct.

#48 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="Necrifer"]

Necrifer

.3333333 = 1/3

.666666666666 = 2/3

.999999999999999 = ????

Get a calculator and tell me then.
#49 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

[QUOTE="Necrifer"]

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

.3333333 = 1/3

.666666666666 = 2/3

.999999999999999 = ????

MetalDogGear

Get a calculator and tell me then.

Ok.  My calculator says that

.3333333 = .33333333

.666666666666 = .666666666666

and

.9999999999999999 = .9999999999999999

Happy?

#50 Posted by tocool340 (20549 posts) -
[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] Where'd you get this statistic from.

His ass.

I'm still trying to figure out how a metaphor is the same thing as a statistic. Seriously. What did I say that had anything to do with any sort of statistic?

Perhaps adding "Metaphorically speaking" somewhere in your post would have made it easier for some people around here to understand...