Freakishrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

Edited By Freakishrage
Member since 2004 • 39 Posts

The interesting and journalistic approach seems to have gone sour long before the lack of new update information became so prevalent.

I've been a loyal follower for a long time and could still only give 2 shits about a television shows newest ratings and vlog to dictate it's meaning. But I'm really glad that Paradox completely pulled the wool over people's eyes! Polished the crap out of their game and completely changed the story line from what was clearly a potential flop into a significant concept in story, playing an elder.

That's almost 5 days old but hasn't been updated since 2021m, and will be a AAA title long overdue, from the days when this was the website giving me awsome news, and the source for all the updates I look for.

too bad none of the other sites are as good as this once was. But there is always hope in those who bring on some consultants and material. I only check every 9 months or so for most things today, not critiquing that a moderator exists of course.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

@Freakishrage: Yes, it did in fact, get sold. CBS used to own GS if I remember right. Now it's owned by Fandom Inc.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:

@Freakishrage: Yes, it did in fact, get sold. CBS used to own GS if I remember right. Now it's owned by Fandom Inc.

Yeah and I think it belonged to Red-something-or-other between CBS and Fandom.

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

Site never recovered after Jeff got fired and the exodus began.

This site being dead is well earned by the penny pinchers who chose a buck over loyalty and the fanbase. Quite frankly, I'm not even sure how they keep the doors here open.

When it finally dies, it will be remembered...but not missed.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

@adrian1480 said:

This site being dead is well earned by the penny pinchers who chose a buck over loyalty and the fanbase. Quite frankly, I'm not even sure how they keep the doors here open.

There were actually two other events that destroyed the site. Don't forget the April Fools massacre day where many long time users called it quits and when GS decided to revamp their entire website, only it had enough bugs to make even Big Rigs or Cyberpunk 2077 at launch look functional. I feel that was the final nail in the coffin...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

OMFG the ads here are getting worse by the day, I can't even scroll threads and topics and posts because there's ads that slap dead center screen never go away and now there's audio that plays I can't make go away, fuuuck this place

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10446 Posts

@lamprey263: what browser / device are you using?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

@Macutchi: chrome mobile browser is rhe one giving me grief, edge works fine thankfully

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10446 Posts

@lamprey263: i use chrome on mobile too and i have seen small letterbox sized ads start to pop up from the bottom of the screen and stick to it but eventually disappear, but nothing like youre describing. weird.

the mobile view on this site is so utterly shit. untouched since they first did the redesign as far as i can tell. i always view in desktop mode, even though being massively zoomed out is shit, it's much less shit than the mobile view. embarrassing in 2023.

gs forums are abandonware, sadly

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts
@tocool340 said:
@adrian1480 said:

There were actually two other events that destroyed the site. Don't forget the April Fools massacre day where many long time users called it quits and when GS decided to revamp their entire website, only it had enough bugs to make even Big Rigs or Cyberpunk 2077 at launch look functional. I feel that was the final nail in the coffin...

I was already gone by then. Only started stopping by again very recently, and even then only a few times a month.

I'd like to hear more about that happening.

And I must say, if there's anything sadder than once good websites dying, it's seeing their animated corpses being controlled and overrun by right-wing chuds who -- knowing they can't post their trash on any still self-respecting website -- find themselves in places like this where the moderation is no longer allowed to treat them as they should be treated. The things the fly here would have been unheard of in 2004 -2006 when I was enjoying running our little corner of the community with the GUFU team. Now the caliber of contributor I see regularly only serves to remind me how far the site has fallen. (present company excluded)

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
@adrian1480 said:
@tocool340 said:
@adrian1480 said:

I was already gone by then. Only started stopping by again very recently, and even then only a few times a month.

I'd like to hear more about that happening.

And I must say, if there's anything sadder than once good websites dying, it's seeing their animated corpses being controlled and overrun by right-wing chuds who -- knowing they can't post their trash on any still self-respecting website -- find themselves in places like this where the moderation is no longer allowed to treat them as they should be treated. The things the fly here would have been unheard of in 2004 -2006 when I was enjoying running our little corner of the community with the GUFU team. Now the caliber of contributor I see regularly only serves to remind me how far the site has fallen. (present company excluded)

I honestly don't remember a whole lot about when everything took place, but the April Fools massacre happened back around 2010 if I'm not mistaken where the mods and staff members here created a huge hoax by "banning" one of the moderators here, @spazzx625. That shit escalated into a huge vacuum of users and moderators getting banned once the "reasons" behind Spazz getting "banned" was leaked. Even after Gamespot announced it was all a joke and went out of their way to reverse the banning of certain users (Some didn't get unbanned as they unfortunately went too far in their rage), many long time users never returned. But hey, at least many of us got a nifty trophy/badge for the whole debacle:

"You've been spazzed!! You participated in an epic 2010 April Fools joke hosted in GameSpot's Off-Topic forum, involving two moderators spazzx625 & solidruss, whether you thought this prank rocked, or you thought it sucked rocks, you were still involved in the prank of the century! April Fools!"

As for the site redesign, I believe that happened around 2013, at least the first major overhaul. When they first implemented it, Gamespot was practically nonfunctional for roughly 3 months, showing that they never bothered testing it before making it live. Eventually, only the homepage managed to be somewhat functional, but the rest of the forums was still a mess. So once again, gamespot shot itself in the foot. I think the redesign was meant to make the site more mobile friendly. It was also around this time that they removed unions. So, by the time things started working and the site settled down, about half the community moved on, especially long time users...

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26099 Posts

^ Yep. A poorly handled redesign caused a big change in how the site was used as more features kept being lost or made worse.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#12 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

Ever since the whole site change 10 years ago, things have been pretty downhill here. The site basically lost what made it unique.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#13 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

I had lots of fun in System Wars with the SW Bets threads and it was a fun time, until the moderators got involved, Casey got in some trouble too. 'Twas fun. Been visiting this site since 2001. I miss leveling up, the badges, it was just... better.

Don't know wtf happened.