Debate: The legalization of marijuana

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Belisarius-9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Belisarius-9
Member since 2006 • 1595 Posts
Tell me brethren, should marijuana be legal? I need to be convinced either way. Please provide supporting evidence. Also, If it should be made legal, what should the age restrictions be?
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
I cannot put it more simply. If alcohol is legal, marijuana should be legal.
laraza7682300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 laraza7682300
Member since 2006 • 8686 Posts

I cannot put it more simply. If alcohol is legal, marijuana should be legal.megagene

I agree with him:)

Belisarius-9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Belisarius-9
Please explain why. Do you believe that marijuana is as safe or safer than alcohol?
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
At least decriminalized. Or a revamping of the restrictions.
GTA3_Darkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTA3_Darkel
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts

[QUOTE="megagene"]I cannot put it more simply. If alcohol is legal, marijuana should be legal.laraza7682300

I agree with him:)

I agree too. At least when marijuana is legal, it will be sold more securely and with more restrictions so that not everyone will get one. (like alcohol, tobacco) Also, the money will goto the government and not to the corrupt drug dealers on the street.
-Twilight-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Twilight-
Member since 2005 • 8931 Posts
I honestly don't care. I don't smoke it. How selfish of me.
princemarth23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 princemarth23
Member since 2005 • 9229 Posts
Nah..all forms of illegal drugs should just be banned and stopped from being produced..people would be happier and healthier that way. Kids are too stupid to consider their health..sorry if I offended anyone.
Belisarius-9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Belisarius-9
At least decriminalized. Or a revamping of the restrictions.MattUD1

In some places it already is.
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Thechaninator
Member since 2005 • 5187 Posts
It should be legalized and taxed. It would boost the economy, and the fact is that Marijuana has proven health benefits unlike smoking, such as improving memory (They actually recommend it for people who fear getting altheimers) and preventing cancer.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MattUD1
[QUOTE="MattUD1"]At least decriminalized. Or a revamping of the restrictions.Belisarius-9

I mean nationally. Like how some states allowed women to vote before the 19th Amendment.
J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts
Okay.  They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie. When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well, you just realise, it's not worth the f***ing effort.  There is a difference.  If I were to have legalized a drug it sure woulnt have been alcohol, there are better drugs out there, and better drugs for you.  Gee, funny how everyone makes a big deal about un-taxed drugs, "those are the ones that are bad for you, not those ones that are taxed".  Its just more bulls**t information being fed to the people.
Belisarius-9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Belisarius-9
[QUOTE="Belisarius-9"][QUOTE="MattUD1"]At least decriminalized. Or a revamping of the restrictions.MattUD1

I mean nationally. Like how some states allowed women to vote before the 19th Amendment.

Ah, I see. It would allow for more freedom, and probably would make a big change.
Nameless3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nameless3
Member since 2006 • 5751 Posts
I think it should be legalized for a few reasons; The war on drugs is expensive and is failing, legalizing it would cut costs dramaitically, legalizing it would cause a major drop in crime, if legalized the U.S. could tax it helping the economy, if legalized the U.S. could regulate quality, in countrys where it has been legalized, use has often droped by half or more.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MattUD1
[QUOTE="MattUD1"][QUOTE="Belisarius-9"][QUOTE="MattUD1"]At least decriminalized. Or a revamping of the restrictions.Belisarius-9

Ah, I see. It would allow for more freedom, and probably would make a big change.

Then there is always government regulation. Big bucks.
heavy-boat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 heavy-boat
Member since 2006 • 2096 Posts
its fine how it is... if you want to do it.. just do it at home.. or where noone is around...
Avatar image for freakyzeeky1986
freakyzeeky1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 freakyzeeky1986
Member since 2005 • 19711 Posts
Once Marijuana is legal, it won't be so tempting for some people to smoke it, since it won't be seen as "forbidden" anymore. Some people smoke it because it makes them appear less of a wuss if they do. They should legalize it IMO.
blackleech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 blackleech
Member since 2004 • 15348 Posts
I think that it should NOT be legalized.
Belisarius-9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Belisarius-9
Once Marijuana is legal, it won't be so tempting for some people to smoke it, since it won't be seen as "forbidden" anymore. Some people smoke it because it makes them appear less of a wuss if they do. They should legalize it IMO.freakyzeeky1986

This may be true. In some European countries, the legalization of marijuana did not make a big increase in users.
princemarth23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 princemarth23
It should be legalized and taxed. It would boost the economy, and the fact is that Marijuana has proven health benefits unlike smoking, such as improving memory (They actually recommend it for people who fear getting altheimers) and preventing cancer.Thechaninator
I'm very sorry, but the truth is the opposite of what you said (except for the economy bit perhaps). Also, marijuana is only prescribed in very small doses, in pill form.
Pants14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pants14
Member since 2003 • 37 Posts
       I live in Canada, and our Parliament (our version of the senate) has already legalized it for medicinal purposes. Do I agree with that? Yes. If somebody has, say, HIV/ AIDS or cancer, they shouldn't have to suffer through it, right?
Belisarius-9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Belisarius-9
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"]It should be legalized and taxed. It would boost the economy, and the fact is that Marijuana has proven health benefits unlike smoking, such as improving memory (They actually recommend it for people who fear getting altheimers) and preventing cancer.princemarth23
I'm very sorry, but the truth is the opposite of what you said (except for the economy bit perhaps). Also, marijuana is only prescribed in very small doses, in pill form.

What you are talking about is THC, the main chemical in marijuana. The pills differ from actual THC as they are artificial.
lol_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lol_waffles
Member since 2006 • 1826 Posts
I cannot put it more simply. If alcohol is legal, marijuana should be legal.megagene
Pants14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pants14
Member since 2003 • 37 Posts
       I live in Canada, and our Parliament (our version of the senate) has already legalized it for medicinal purposes. Do I agree with that? Yes. If somebody has, say, HIV/ AIDS or cancer, they shouldn't have to suffer through it, right?
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Thechaninator
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"]It should be legalized and taxed. It would boost the economy, and the fact is that Marijuana has proven health benefits unlike smoking, such as improving memory (They actually recommend it for people who fear getting altheimers) and preventing cancer.princemarth23

No, what I said was right. There was even an article in the paper last week about the altheimers part.
RedDraco66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RedDraco66
Member since 2005 • 1682 Posts
My theory ( since the smoking of cigarettes is going to be MAJORLY cracked down on ) is that marijuana will become legal because the farmers have to have a crop. Or else the Government will be putting the farmers out of business which isn't allowed.
Diablo112688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Diablo112688
Member since 2003 • 8345 Posts
YES another weed topic!!! WOOTR.  I dont think it should be made legal.  Your local drug dealer will probably never go out of business, so it shouldht affect you guys much.
Caffeine_Trip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Caffeine_Trip
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts
If tobacco and alcohol are legal, there is no reason why marijuana shouldn't be.
Roland1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Roland1987
Member since 2004 • 3038 Posts
I don't like this arguement (it is very common). Just because one bad thign is legal, doesnt mean we should legalize another. Alcohol creates an obscene amount of problems, why legalize somethign else that will cause problems. Is weed more or less dangerous then alcohol? That's debateable, but it is clear that neither are good. Obviously making alcohol illeagal won't happen, but why allow somethign else that doesnt benefit anyone (the memory thing is debatable, one peice of research says its good, three say its bad, then a new one comes up saying its bad, then another rebuttes that, it is ongoing, there isnt enough known about long term effects, or even short term to make a definitive statment). If weed is made legal then why not other drugs? It's a slippery slope and legalizing it isn't goign to benfit anyone. I don't care what people say, weed doesn't benefit anyone, there may be reserch sayign it helps one thing but there is just as much sayign the opposite.
princemarth23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 princemarth23
[QUOTE="princemarth23"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"]It should be legalized and taxed. It would boost the economy, and the fact is that Marijuana has proven health benefits unlike smoking, such as improving memory (They actually recommend it for people who fear getting altheimers) and preventing cancer.Belisarius-9

What you are talking about is THC, the main chemical in marijuana. The pills differ from actual THC as they are artificial.

So, essentially..I am being told that a cancer causing drug can cure cancer...wow..am I going crazy or does this not make sense.
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Thechaninator
[QUOTE="Belisarius-9"][QUOTE="princemarth23"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"]It should be legalized and taxed. It would boost the economy, and the fact is that Marijuana has proven health benefits unlike smoking, such as improving memory (They actually recommend it for people who fear getting altheimers) and preventing cancer.princemarth23

So, essentially..I am being told that a cancer causing drug can cure cancer...wow..am I going crazy or does this not make sense.

The marijuana stops cancer cells from developing. Argh, wheres nameless. He has the actual links to this stuff and knows more about the issue than I do.
Nameless3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nameless3
[QUOTE="megagene"]I cannot put it more simply. If alcohol is legal, marijuana should be legal.Roland1987
I don't like this arguement (it is very common). Just because one bad thign is legal, doesnt mean we should legalize another. Alcohol creates an obscene amount of problems, why legalize somethign else that will cause problems. Is weed more or less dangerous then alcohol? That's debateable, but it is clear that neither are good. Obviously making alcohol illeagal won't happen, but why allow somethign else that doesnt benefit anyone (the memory thing is debatable, one peice of research says its good, three say its bad, then a new one comes up saying its bad, then another rebuttes that, it is ongoing, there isnt enough known about long term effects, or even short term to make a definitive statment). If weed is made legal then why not other drugs? It's a slippery slope and legalizing it isn't goign to benfit anyone. I don't care what people say, weed doesn't benefit anyone, there may be reserch sayign it helps one thing but there is just as much sayign the opposite.

Actually a big reason for alcohol being legal is the crime that would be generated if it were, (Prohibition) basically the same is occuring now, and that is a reason it needs to be legalized, although if it were the goverment could regulate quality, money would be pumped into the economy, and overall use would go down.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
do'snt that stuff screw up your headz
Nameless3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nameless3
[QUOTE="princemarth23"][QUOTE="Belisarius-9"][QUOTE="princemarth23"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"]It should be legalized and taxed. It would boost the economy, and the fact is that Marijuana has proven health benefits unlike smoking, such as improving memory (They actually recommend it for people who fear getting altheimers) and preventing cancer.Thechaninator

The marijuana stops cancer cells from developing. Argh, wheres nameless. He has the actual links to this stuff and knows more about the issue than I do.

This?
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Thechaninator
[QUOTE="Roland1987"][QUOTE="megagene"]I cannot put it more simply. If alcohol is legal, marijuana should be legal.Nameless3

Actually a big reason for alcohol being legal is the crime that would be generated if it were, (Prohibition) basically the same is occuring now, and that is a reason it needs to be legalized, although if it were the goverment could regulate quality, money would be pumped into the economy, and overall use would go down.

Another importnat note, alcohol also is good for you in minor doses (A glass of wine a day) which is the only reason why it is allowed to be advertised on TV. Since cigarettes aren't good at all, they aren't allowed to advertise on TV. That brings a funny thought too, if marijuana was legalized, what would the commercials be like?
Diablo112688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Diablo112688
Member since 2003 • 8345 Posts
do'snt that stuff screw up your headz123625

Brilliant post.
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Thechaninator
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="princemarth23"][QUOTE="Belisarius-9"][QUOTE="princemarth23"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"]It should be legalized and taxed. It would boost the economy, and the fact is that Marijuana has proven health benefits unlike smoking, such as improving memory (They actually recommend it for people who fear getting altheimers) and preventing cancer.Nameless3

This?

Ahhh thank you.
Avatar image for Dread_Onslaught
Dread_Onslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dread_Onslaught
Member since 2006 • 966 Posts
Hey Hey Hey Hey............ *long pause* Smoke Weed everyday
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts
It should be legal. The war on drugs has been a disaster and the health effects from it are exaggerated at best. People should take responsibility for their own actions and bodies.
Avatar image for RoyalAssassin78
RoyalAssassin78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 RoyalAssassin78
Member since 2005 • 4675 Posts
I like Peter Tosh's music, but I strongly disagree with is lyrics concerning this issue:)
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Donkey_Puncher
I like Peter Tosh's music, but I strongly disagree with is lyrics concerning this issue:)RoyalAssassin78
"Legalize it!"
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts
People will use it wether or not it is illegal.  The difference is who profits- criminals or tax paying pharmacies...
Roland1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Roland1987
Member since 2004 • 3038 Posts
It should be legal. The war on drugs has been a disaster and the health effects from it are exaggerated at best. People should take responsibility for their own actions and bodies.Donkey_Puncher
People should take responsibility for their own actions and bodies? Of course they should but people can't, if they could we would be as close to utopia as will ever be possible.
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Donkey_Puncher
[QUOTE="Donkey_Puncher"]It should be legal. The war on drugs has been a disaster and the health effects from it are exaggerated at best. People should take responsibility for their own actions and bodies.Roland1987
People should take responsibility for their own actions and bodies? Of course they should but people can't, if they could we would be as close to utopia as will ever be possible.

It's not the governments job to baby sit people now is it? The only thing the Government should do is make sure people don't hurt others or infringe on their rights. Reason being why cigs and alcohol are legal, but driving under the influence aren't. Same stipulations would apply to pot.
The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 The_PirateKing
Member since 2005 • 9714 Posts
~-~All victimless crimes should be legal IMO. But I don't do marijuana nor would I ever. I just think that if you want to **** yourself up then you have every right to. The Government shouldn't sit next to you and say, "No, no stick fork in the electrical socket. That bad, baaaaaaaad. That's it, your going to jail." They should do it like alcohol and you just can't do it out in public. And I think both should only have an age limit of like 5. That way thins stuff will be as casual as candy too people. It's like, "yea, it's booze, so what?" I think you would have a lot less DUIs and ODs if people knew how to handle the stuff. And if you think, "but then your going to have a bunch of kids addicted to it." Yes that could happen, that's why the have parents.You know, "Brush your teeth, clean your room, don't have more than one glass a day." Also, I think if people were used to alcohol at a young age then they would know how to handle it better. And, I'm going off topic. Sorry. Actually, marijuana should probably be more like 18 or something now that I think of it.~-~
The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 The_PirateKing
Member since 2005 • 9714 Posts
~-~Oh, I should also say that if what I said in my post happened, I think it would be like taking down a dam in a river. All hell would brake louse for a generation or two but after words everything would be fine. So I'm not saying that all would be happy right a way, it would take time. But I think that the money they save from prisoning druggies + tax money from this new market should go into rehabs. If people ask for help then the government should help them.~-~
superelite2688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 superelite2688
Member since 2004 • 6318 Posts
i am completely against the legalization of maraijuana
ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
no
superelite2688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 superelite2688
Member since 2004 • 6318 Posts
People will use it wether or not it is illegal. The difference is who profits- criminals or tax paying pharmacies...AtomicTangerine
yep exactly
luccaface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 luccaface
Member since 2004 • 1719 Posts
Considering I used to smoke weed everyday(quit completely now), I probably should have an opinion on this, but honestly it just isn't there...maybe the apathy hasn't worn off yet...lol