Critics? Or Users?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gashoe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 gashoe13
Member since 2007 • 511 Posts

READ BEFORE VOTING

Generally, when getting a new game or going to go see a new movie do you care more about what the critics thought, what other people thought in general, or neither?

For instance, if it were a movie, would you head over to see what Roger Ebert thought, or would you go and see what IMDB users rated it? Or would you just follow your gut?

And if it was a game, would you just see what the users thought, or what the Gamespot editor thought?

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
I usually see what fellow FAU users say. They know what's what.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Critics definitely. In the last few years we've seen how inflated the IMDB scoring and top 250 can become.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

I'm more inclined to listen to critics. The people who (usually) actually know what they're talking about. But I'll almost always go to Metacritic or something to check the overall score, rather than rely on one source.

So many user reviews are lacking in proper constructive criticism or analysis. They're typically filled with hideous amounts of fanboy bias, and many of them can be simply "OMG THIS IS AMAZING 10/10" or "OMG THIS SUCKS 1/10".

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I usually ask my friends.

afflictatrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 afflictatrophy
Member since 2006 • 223 Posts

It depends. Usually what I do though is read reviews of movies/games that I like, and then read reviews by the same people on movies/games that I'm curious about. This way if I know they rated the movie/game I like low for some reason then I know I might still like it, or if they rate a movie game/movie that I don't care for high I know I still might not like it. This way I read reviews from reviewers who have a similar opinion as I do. Usually I use user reviews though, critics are usually too picky, or not picky enough.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
I take into account multiple opinions, critic and regular users alike when I'm deciding to see a movie or not. However, certain reviews hold more weight to me.
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 super_mario_128
[QUOTE="Hemmaroids"]Who the hell is Roger Ebert? And why caint users be critics? Just cuz they aren't professionally paid doesn't mean that they caint have opinions. For the poll choice, I chose I trust MYSELF more than others.

Casual viewers tend to have bad taste.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts

In most cases with movies and music I go with a little bit of both critics and users.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

welll when it comes to games...i generally look at the user reviews....and i look at a couple of the best and a couple of the worst and a couple of the average user score...and usually somewhere in there u get a good feeling of the game...and if my friends(who i typically agree with on gaming sense) have either played or own the game ill ask them/try it myself before buying the game...in some cases tho...ill just preorder cause the previous game was so good...sc2, witcher 2

super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 super_mario_128
[QUOTE="Hemmaroids"][QUOTE="super_mario_128"][QUOTE="Hemmaroids"]Who the hell is Roger Ebert? And why caint users be critics? Just cuz they aren't professionally paid doesn't mean that they caint have opinions. For the poll choice, I chose I trust MYSELF more than others.

And that is just your opinion. I don't look up to some bigshot for movie reviews, I tend to ask around where I live to some people what their opinion on the movie is. I hate how bigshots claim that movies such as The Social Network is a pure perfection movie.

nice
Hammstray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Hammstray
Member since 2010 • 890 Posts

I focus more on the average score that the users give!

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

I look at the big picture, not just any one critic. Sites like Metacritic are very reliable after at least 10 critics have published their reviews. So I rarely see a movie or buy a new game on release day, unless enough critics got a chance to review before the release.

I hate seeing people complain how bad a game or movie is after paying for it on release date. It's their own fault. There are plenty of resources available that gives a fair pulse on something after it is released.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
there are some good critics out there that have saved me money
Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Samurai_Xavier
Member since 2003 • 4364 Posts

Critics, definitely. It's the fault of causal audiences that crap like Transformers 3 exists.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Myself. Users tend to hype up mindless crap because they like explosions and critics tend to hype up pretentious drivel because they like 30-minute dialogue scenes and needlessly depressing plotlines.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
For games i tend to go with users as most seem to just buy into hype and love CoD clones. For films i prefer well versed critics and following certain actors and directors. The important factors are experiance and whether their taste matches mine, not whether they're getting paid for their recomendation or not.
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Myself for games. As for movies, I really don't watch too many of them, but I agree with what Verge_6 said.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

I focus more on the average score that the users give!

Hammstray
Very bad way of doing things. All you end up with is recomendations of good generic material. Look for someone who matches your taste or describes the content as it is instead of just providing an opinion (IGN reviews used to do this, the scores were BS but the reviews were good) then you'll know whether it fits your own particular taste and is good for you or not.
msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts
For movies, definitely the users. Seems to me that critics are way too harsh most times
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="Hemmaroids"]Who the hell is Roger Ebert? And why caint users be critics? Just cuz they aren't professionally paid doesn't mean that they caint have opinions. For the poll choice, I chose I trust MYSELF more than others.super_mario_128

I think even more important is that casual viewers often tend to be worse at substantive criticism. It's not just that their taste in movies/games is bad, it's that they aren't as good at communicating WHY it's good or bad.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
myself ofcourse. critics and users for an indication but ultimately it falls down to my opinion which isnt pushed around from others
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
neither, both are unreliable, I enjoy a lot of films which get rated poorly by both
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

The only difference is that critics get paid to do it, otherwise I can't tell them apart from users. There are critics that even troll with their reviews, how the hell can we rely on some of them?:lol:

raiden509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 raiden509
Member since 2006 • 3181 Posts

Critics that i normally agree with for games ,users for movies .

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

User scores are almost completly unreliable on almost every website. Especially gaming websites. A good example of that would be general CoD fans voting a Halo game 1/10 when they haven't even played it just to hopefully see it suffer and lower it's user score average, and vice versa with Halo fans. Same with consoles, PS3 exclusives get 1/10 scores from Xbox 360 fanatics while 360 exclusives get 1/10 from PS3 fanatics. Which also lowers the games average.

For that reason I prefer critics, they never give a game 1/10 or anything else insanely low to a game that far from deserves it. Saying that I do find critics scores are too high these days, while 5/10 should be an average game it's come to the point where 8/10 is to be the average game...

I can't really believe myself about a movie/game before I have even played it... I woulden't have an opinion at that point.
Yet if I enjoy a lowly rated game, I enjoy it and that's all that matters to me. It's just rare that I will try those games to create my own opinion sadly.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Critics, and it's not even close. Users like so many "cult" and trash movies. As an apsiring film critic though, my answer shouldn't be surprising.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TacticalDesire

Who the hell is Roger Ebert? And why caint users be critics? Just cuz they aren't professionally paid doesn't mean that they caint have opinions. For the poll choice, I chose I trust MYSELF more than others.Hemmaroids

Well they can be critics: ones who don't know how to analyze film, can't tell a good narrative from a heaping pile of **** fall for the typical traps average directors purposely put in their movies just to appeal to the masses, and value explosions over every other aspect of a motion picture.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="super_mario_128"][QUOTE="Hemmaroids"]Who the hell is Roger Ebert? And why caint users be critics? Just cuz they aren't professionally paid doesn't mean that they caint have opinions. For the poll choice, I chose I trust MYSELF more than others.Hemmaroids

And that is just your opinion. I don't look up to some bigshot for movie reviews, I tend to ask around where I live to some people what their opinion on the movie is. I hate how bigshots claim that movies such as The Social Network is a pure perfection movie.

So basically what it comes down to is that you resent movie reviewers and have a pet peeve you need to get out. Hmm, it all makes sense now.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
Myself by far, I expect reviews to point out what is wrong and good, then I decide how I feel about the product, then bam, I bought it or not.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts
I ask my friends. OT also provides some feedback for many movies.
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

For games I read the Gamespot editors and the user reviews. For movies I also read critic reviews then go to IMDB and check out what fellow movie goers have to say on the subject

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

For movies and television shows, I usually go for the critics.

For games, I look at user reviews.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#37 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

I go with my gut... but if its a site/critic that follows a pattern of my own taste, it can sometimes be a good thing to check out.