Congress considers bill to strip American Terrorists of their Citizenship

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Okay Congress is considering passing a bill that would allow the State Department to revoke the U.S. citizenship of people who are terrorists. This is not necessarily unprecedented, there is an active law from 1940 that allows the State Department to revoke U.S. citizenship of citizens who join an enemy army (and in 1980 the Supreme Court ruled that this law is constitutional saying certain acts indicate a rejection of U.S. citizenship on the part of the citizen).

Actually, the main proponent of this bill is one of my Senators: Joe Lieberman, he says it was the incident where Faisal Shahzad (also from my State of CT, which kind of scares me) tried to bomb Times Square in New York.

Your thoughts?

I kind of think some of it makes sense, if you could lose your citizenship for Joining The Nazi or Soviet Army why shouldn't members of Al Qaida lose their citizenship? But I do wonder about American terrorist groups like the Hutaree for example or what about lone wolf terrorists?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Sounds good to me. Hopefully they lose their citizenship by losing their lives though.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Well, if an act of terrorism is explicitly waging war against the country, then that would be treason. Is treason grounds to revoke citizenship?
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

As long as taking away citizenship comes with proof of the person in question being a terrorist, there's no problem. But when terrorism is proven, what's the point of also taking away citizenship? I'm guessing they'll be spending life in jail anyways.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I'm a little nervous of such a thing. The last thing I want is the government having the power to revoke your citizenship by simply calling you a "terrorist". If some citizentries to commit an act of terrorism on this country and they are fairly tried and convicted, why not just sentence them to life in prison or something along those lines?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pirate700

As long as taking away citizenship comes with proof of the person in question being a terrorist, there's no problem. But when terrorism is proven, what's the point of also taking away citizenship? I'm guessing they'll be spending life in jail anyways.

11Marcel

Unless they get charged with treason, I don't think it's a life sentence.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
Incomplete information in the original post. The proposal is that the government would have the ability to strip SUSPECTED terrorists of their citizenship. Think about that for a moment. American Citizens. Convicted of no crime. Being stripped of their citizenship at a whim with no trial. (And then probably being shipped down to Guantanamo like other non-citizens who are declared "enemy combatants") People should be TERRIFIED of this bill.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pirate700

I'm a little nervous of such a thing. The last thing I want is the government having the power to revoke your citizenship by simply calling you a "terrorist". If some citizentries to commit an act of terrorism on this country and they are fairly tried and convicted, why not just sentence them to life in prison or something along those lines?

sonicare

I reckon they still would be serving time but not as US citizens.

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
There's already a thread on this, and apparently they can strip citizenship of suspected terrorists. Whole different story.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Well, if an act of terrorism is explicitly waging war against the country, then that would be treason. Is treason grounds to revoke citizenship?PannicAtack

"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted."

in the history of the United States there have been fewer than 40 federal prosecutions for treason and even fewer convictions. Several men were convicted of treason in connection with the 1794 Whiskey Rebellion but were pardoned by President George Washington. One of American history's most notorious traitors, in which his name is considered synonymous with the definition of traitor, is Benedict Arnold. The most famous treason trial, that of Aaron Burr in 1807 (See Burr conspiracy), resulted in acquittal. Politically motivated attempts to convict opponents of the Jeffersonian Embargo Acts and the Fugitive Slave Law of 1850 all failed. Most states have provisions in their constitutions or statutes similar to those in the U.S. Constitution. There have been only two successful prosecutions for treason on the state level, that of Thomas Dorr in Rhode Island and that of John Brown in Virginia.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pirate700

Incomplete information in the original post. The proposal is that the government would have the ability to strip SUSPECTED terrorists of their citizenship. Think about that for a moment. American Citizens. Convicted of no crime. Being stripped of their citizenship at a whim with no trial. (And then probably being shipped down to Guantanamo like other non-citizens who are declared "enemy combatants") People should be TERRIFIED of this bill. nocoolnamejim
Are we sure that's what being proposed or is that someones twisted interpretation of it?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

This seems like the negatives of applying it to someone to whom it shouldn't be applied far outweigh the positives of applying it to someone to whom it should. How do we define when someone is a terrorist? And how is this going to stop someone from committing a terrorist attack?

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Only if there's a mountain of evidence and said person was not a natural born citizen, i.e an immigrant. That's the only way I would support such a bill.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

There's already a thread on this, and apparently they can strip citizenship of suspected terrorists. Whole different story.Mochyc

Yeah, if terrorists lose their citizenship after they've been convicted in a fair trial, then fine. But the government should not be able to strip someone of citizenship just because you're suspected of something. It'd be like McCarthyism all over again.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]Incomplete information in the original post. The proposal is that the government would have the ability to strip SUSPECTED terrorists of their citizenship. Think about that for a moment. American Citizens. Convicted of no crime. Being stripped of their citizenship at a whim with no trial. (And then probably being shipped down to Guantanamo like other non-citizens who are declared "enemy combatants") People should be TERRIFIED of this bill. Pirate700

Are we sure that's what being proposed or is that someones twisted interpretation of it?

By all means...don't take me at MY word. Here's House Republican Leader John Boehner on the subject. "If they are a U.S. citizen, until they are convicted of some crime, I don't see how you would attempt to take their citizenship away. That would be pretty difficult under the U.S. Constitution." When the House REPUBLICAN Leader thinks you've gone too far, I think it's safe to say that this is an insane idea and a non-starter.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Seems fair enough me as long as it's not used premptively
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]Incomplete information in the original post. The proposal is that the government would have the ability to strip SUSPECTED terrorists of their citizenship. Think about that for a moment. American Citizens. Convicted of no crime. Being stripped of their citizenship at a whim with no trial. (And then probably being shipped down to Guantanamo like other non-citizens who are declared "enemy combatants") People should be TERRIFIED of this bill. nocoolnamejim

By all means...don't take me at MY word. Here's House Republican Leader John Boehner on the subject. "If they are a U.S. citizen, until they are convicted of some crime, I don't see how you would attempt to take their citizenship away. That would be pretty difficult under the U.S. Constitution." When the House REPUBLICAN Leader thinks you've gone too far, I think it's safe to say that this is an insane idea and a non-starter.

No need to get defensive. I was just asking if that's to the letter of what's actually being proposed.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Are we sure that's what being proposed or is that someones twisted interpretation of it?

Pirate700

No need to get defensive. I was just asking if that's to the letter of what's actually being proposed.

Sorry if I came across as defensive. Didn't mean to. I actually have a work meeting in a couple of minutes and am rushing my posts a bit. Normally I examine my wording a bit before posting.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]Well, if an act of terrorism is explicitly waging war against the country, then that would be treason. Is treason grounds to revoke citizenship?whipassmt

"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted."

in the history of the United States there have been fewer than 40 federal prosecutions for treason and even fewer convictions. Several men were convicted of treason in connection with the 1794 Whiskey Rebellion but were pardoned by President George Washington. One of American history's most notorious traitors, in which his name is considered synonymous with the definition of traitor, is Benedict Arnold. The most famous treason trial, that of Aaron Burr in 1807 (See Burr conspiracy), resulted in acquittal. Politically motivated attempts to convict opponents of the Jeffersonian Embargo Acts and the Fugitive Slave Law of 1850 all failed. Most states have provisions in their constitutions or statutes similar to those in the U.S. Constitution. There have been only two successful prosecutions for treason on the state level, that of Thomas Dorr in Rhode Island and that of John Brown in Virginia.

No, I'm asking if treason is grounds for revoking citizenship.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] By all means...don't take me at MY word. Here's House Republican Leader John Boehner on the subject. "If they are a U.S. citizen, until they are convicted of some crime, I don't see how you would attempt to take their citizenship away. That would be pretty difficult under the U.S. Constitution." When the House REPUBLICAN Leader thinks you've gone too far, I think it's safe to say that this is an insane idea and a non-starter.nocoolnamejim

Sorry if I came across as defensive. Didn't mean to. I actually have a work meeting in a couple of minutes and am rushing my posts a bit. Normally I examine my wording a bit before posting.

:lol: It's all good man.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Needs due process, not just the executive branch declaring someone a terrorist
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GabuEx

Needs due process, not just the executive branch declaring someone a terroristxaos

That sounds like something a terrorist would say. :o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Incomplete information in the original post. The proposal is that the government would have the ability to strip SUSPECTED terrorists of their citizenship. Think about that for a moment. American Citizens. Convicted of no crime. Being stripped of their citizenship at a whim with no trial. (And then probably being shipped down to Guantanamo like other non-citizens who are declared "enemy combatants") People should be TERRIFIED of this bill. nocoolnamejim
I am and I am a rightwing nutjob. I don't like any bill or law that gives the government unchecked power. I wasn't a fan of the patriot act and I am not a fan of this. Makes sense if you think about it - conservatives should be about less government. . . .
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
wait wait. So they are trying to pass a bill that can exile us?
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]Incomplete information in the original post. The proposal is that the government would have the ability to strip SUSPECTED terrorists of their citizenship. Think about that for a moment. American Citizens. Convicted of no crime. Being stripped of their citizenship at a whim with no trial. (And then probably being shipped down to Guantanamo like other non-citizens who are declared "enemy combatants") People should be TERRIFIED of this bill. sonicare
I am and I am a rightwing nutjob. I don't like any bill or law that gives the government unchecked power. I wasn't a fan of the patriot act and I am not a fan of this. Makes sense if you think about it - conservatives should be about less government. . . .

Agree 100%.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GabuEx

wait wait. So they are trying to pass a bill that can exile us?Jandurin

Well "they" at this point is pretty much Joe Lieberman, which is not surprising. I eagerly look forward to the day when that man leaves the Senate.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Espada12

This only applies to immigrants correct?

UserBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UserBane
Member since 2010 • 994 Posts

That is idiotic, and won't happen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]wait wait. So they are trying to pass a bill that can exile us?GabuEx

Well "they" at this point is pretty much Joe Lieberman, which is not surprising.

Whatever happened to that guy? He went from Gore's running mate to McCain's bro, to this crazy Pat Robertson like person.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

Oh jeez, I wonder what Alex Jones will say about this in his radio show, I can't wait to listen.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nocoolnamejim

Espada12
Nope. Any U.S. citizen would be impacted by this.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]wait wait. So they are trying to pass a bill that can exile us?GabuEx

Well "they" at this point is pretty much Joe Lieberman, which is not surprising. I eagerly look forward to the day when that man leaves the Senate.

Maybe by suspected he still means after due process. I can't imagine he just means on a whim start exiling folks.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

nocoolnamejim

Nope. Any U.S. citizen would be impacted by this.

... so what do they expect a natural born citizen to do?

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
At first I though this was somehow reasonable but then I looked up what it truly does, apparently it doesn't matter if you are guilty or not if they think you're suspicious of "terrorism" they can take your citizenship away. This is some scary **** combined with the PATRIOT Act.
Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
Sounds kinda sketchy. I don't think its necessary. Lets just punish them like we already do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Oh okay, just some random guy in power spewing nonsense. I'm pretty used to that, tbqh. As long as he has checks against his power.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]wait wait. So they are trying to pass a bill that can exile us?Pirate700

Maybe by suspected he still means after due process. I can't imagine he just means on a whim start exiling folks.

If it were not Joe Lieberman proposing this bill, I would agree that that could be a possibility. However... it is Joe Lieberman.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

If it were not Joe Lieberman proposing this bill, I would agree that that could be a possibility. However... it is Joe Lieberman.

:lol: Fair enough.

UserBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 UserBane
Member since 2010 • 994 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

Can't wait until he is out of the senate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="xaos"]Needs due process, not just the executive branch declaring someone a terroristGabuEx

Close, I'm a Cherorist! [spoiler] [/spoiler]

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="xaos"]Needs due process, not just the executive branch declaring someone a terroristxaos

Close, I'm a Cherorist! [spoiler] [/spoiler]

If I could turn back time!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Needs due process, not just the executive branch declaring someone a terroristxaos

Close, I'm a Cherorist!

I didn't laugh.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GabuEx

As long as he has checks against his power.Jandurin

The fact that even Republicans seem to think that this is kind of a bad idea is a pretty good check, I think. :P

I would imagine that the Supreme Court would also not find a law terribly amusing that allows the stripping of citizenship from basically whomever the State Department decides is a terrorist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 194197844077667059316682358889
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Close, I'm a Cherorist!

I didn't laugh.

Sounds like a failing on your part :x
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pirate700

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="xaos"]Needs due process, not just the executive branch declaring someone a terroristxaos

Close, I'm a Cherorist!

That's the worst kind of terrorist. They can turn back time! :o

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GabuEx

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Jandurin

Close, I'm a Cherorist!

I didn't laugh.

I did. :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="xaos"] Close, I'm a Cherorist! GabuEx

I didn't laugh.

I did. :(

At him or with him? :P
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]As long as he has checks against his power.GabuEx

The fact that even Republicans seem to think that this is kind of a bad idea is a pretty good check, I think. :P

I would imagine that the Supreme Court would also not find a law terribly amusing that allows the stripping of citizenship from basically whomever the State Department decides is a terrorist.

Reps would be against it anyway since they are generally against this level government power and Joe Lieberman is a Dem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]As long as he has checks against his power.Pirate700

Reps would be against it anyway since they are generally against this level government power and Joe Lieberman is a Dem.

During his re-election bid in 2006, he lost the Democratic Party primary election but won re-election in the general election as a third party candidate under the party label "Connecticut for Lieberman." Thanks, Wikipedia! Seriously, even when he was in the party, he was a DINO :P