California begins building high speed rail

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

California will begin construction this week on the first part of a high-speed rail system that will eventually connect Los Angeles and San Francisco. In a press release published last week, the California High-Speed Rail Authority said work on the network will officially begin on Tuesday after a ceremonial groundbreaking in the city of Fresno. The first 29-mile segment will be built in the Central Valley in order to begin testing the system. When the $68 billion project is completed, passengers will be able to travel from Los Angeles to San Francisco in under three hours.

This week's ceremony comes after years of delays and legal battles over the system, which has proven to be a divisive issue among California's political leadership. Construction was supposed to began two years ago, but was delayed over land acquisitions and disputes over funding. The system is now set to be completed by 2028, though as the Los Angeles Times reports, officials still need to secure full funding, and Republicans in Congress have said they will not commit federal money to it.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7493159/california-high-speed-rail-system-construction-los-angeles-san-francisco

lmao holy crap 13 years and 68 billion, what a joke. North America is in need of a HSR system but not like this, not like this. :(

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

You could say there's nothing high speed about it's construction.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

sooo, no hyperloop then?

pussies

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

That's a lot of money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@comp_atkins said:

sooo, no hyperloop then?

pussies

Pretty sure that was just a pipe dream and not an actual serious proposal. Would have been amazing though.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

$68 billion that could go to building a larger natural gas infrastructure to help further cut down on greenhouse gas emissions from large trucks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-598fc45371265

If I remember correctly this is like OP's fourth or fifth thread on trains.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

$68 billion that could go to building a larger natural gas infrastructure to help further cut down on greenhouse gas emissions from large trucks.

Natural gas trucks are awful. Make them go away. We had one in our truck shop the other day and it was an utter pain in the ass for the techs to work on. Not to mention the fact that it was less than a year old and already needed worked on.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

With all that money, they best built it right. I take the BART train every day, and i tell you it can't handle strong winds, or rain. It keeps breaking down, and then has to go like 5-15 miles an hour. They best really think about building it correctly.

Thanks

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 foxhound_fox

@ferrari2001 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Natural gas trucks are awful. Make them go away. We had one in our truck shop the other day and it was an utter pain in the ass for the techs to work on. Not to mention the fact that it was less than a year old and already needed worked on.

Oh, I know, but as long as they are building the infrastructure, they will never go away. California is weird when it comes to things trucking (and their bullshit emission laws), but NG trucks are going to be making huge in-roads in the regional haul sector (and rightly so given the promised mpgs). Companies will not be able to deny the cost savings that the manufacturers promise. Better for the Cali government to spend money on something that can actually make a difference for something than something for the sake of convenience.

Long haul trucking is the last industry that will see any move away from fossil fuels.

And aren't most new trucks these days that aren't gliders in the shop on a regular basis for code resets?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

$68 BILLION? Holy fucking shit. I bet the entire country is paying for that beast.

Ah good, republicans won't fund it. There's a huge dose of fiscal sanity for California.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Storm_Marine said:

Yeah I've got a thing for stuff like HSR and mag-lev trains. It just sucks that North America is so far behind compared to Europe and Asia in this area.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#13 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:
North America is in need of a HSR system but not like this, not like this. :(

Does it?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Master_Live

California wants a choo choo, good. Do it with your state money.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Oh, I know, but as long as they are building the infrastructure, they will never go away. California is weird when it comes to things trucking (and their bullshit emission laws), but NG trucks are going to be making huge in-roads in the regional haul sector (and rightly so given the promised mpgs). Companies will not be able to deny the cost savings that the manufacturers promise. Better for the Cali government to spend money on something that can actually make a difference for something than something for the sake of convenience.

Long haul trucking is the last industry that will see any move away from fossil fuels.

And aren't most new trucks these days that aren't gliders in the shop on a regular basis for code resets?

Nah, a truck bought new won't see any downtime usually for about 300,000+ miles. When Mercedes first brought their engines over to the US there were lots of problems with the engines and they were in shop shortly after purchase. Now you can usually drive for a long time without any significant problems. Currently most the trucks we see in the shop are in the '06 or '07 range. They are getting to the point where the engine components are beginning to break down from huge miles. Now some stuff does break sooner but it's mostly switches, panels, lights etc that are easy side of the road fixes if you fix them at all. If the driver takes care of his truck it'll usually last a long time before needing service. Obviously you gotta get oil and filters changed regularly but for the most part your truck should run for many miles without issue.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox

@ferrari2001 said:

Nah, a truck bought new won't see any downtime usually for about 300,000+ miles. When Mercedes first brought their engines over to the US there were lots of problems with the engines and they were in shop shortly after purchase. Now you can usually drive for a long time without any significant problems. Currently most the trucks we see in the shop are in the '06 or '07 range. They are getting to the point where the engine components are beginning to break down from huge miles. Now some stuff does break sooner but it's mostly switches, panels, lights etc that are easy side of the road fixes if you fix them at all. If the driver takes care of his truck it'll usually last a long time before needing service. Obviously you gotta get oil and filters changed regularly but for the most part your truck should run for many miles without issue.

Well that's good. I hear a lot of stories about some of the new Paccar and Volvo trucks are notorious for excessive down time due to sensor problems. I like hearing stories from the mechanics and shops though, they seem even more on the ball than most drivers. I just met a mechanic over the holidays who pretty much gave me all the best companies in Manitoba to work for (and with starting training in a few weeks, this is really important).

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Master_Live

That's not to say that a national or a trans-national HSR system wouldn't be totally awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
@Master_Live said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Does it?

Yeah. On top of a San Francisco-LA line a HSR line from Boston-NY-DC would be amazing for citizens and local businesses. It's certainly a better investment than something like the Keystone pipeline.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox

@Aljosa23 said:
@Master_Live said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Does it?

Yeah. On top of a San Francisco-LA line a HSR line from Boston-NY-DC would be amazing for citizens and local businesses. It's certainly a better investment than something like the Keystone pipeline.

High speed rail is great if it feeds passenger traffic where there is desperate need for it (i.e. if Interstates are backed up during rush hour periods to extreme slows or even stops)... but I'm not sure if such large scale HSR would be that beneficial. Smaller branch lines that inter-connect with other transportation systems (where people can "park and ride") would be far more cost-effective than building one giant direct system.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Master_Live

@Aljosa23 said:
@Master_Live said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Does it?

Well, the Keystone pipeline is a private investment. If there is a private individual or group who wishes to pay for all or part of a national or transnational HSR system they are more than welcome to try it out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@foxhound_fox said:

@Aljosa23 said:
@Master_Live said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Does it?

High speed rail is great if it feeds passenger traffic where there is desperate need for it (i.e. if Interstates are backed up during rush hour periods to extreme slows or even stops)... but I'm not sure if such large scale HSR would be that beneficial. Smaller branch lines that inter-connect with other transportation systems (where people can "park and ride") would be far more cost-effective than building one giant direct system.

Traffic congestion is a massive problem in Southern California so this particular line seems to be an answer to that problem. The line itself has 6 or 7 stops just like a normal train system for riders who want to get on and off at their convenience. Since California's railways are outdated and public transit in general there is awful building an initial system from scratch and gradually building more seems like the best solution IMO. A hypothetical Boston-NY-DC line would be the same only it would service more people and integrate seamlessly with the MTA, MBTA, and the DC metro.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-598fc45371265

You should start a kickstarter Aljosa.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

I should. If Anita Sarkeesian can get 100k to make shitty videos I should be able to scrounge a few billion to build 'Murica the transportation system they deserve.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@airshocker said:

$68 BILLION? Holy fucking shit. I bet the entire country is paying for that beast.

Ah good, republicans won't fund it. There's a huge dose of fiscal sanity for California.

68 Billion seems like allot of money, but i'm sure they will make it back in no time with this rail system in place. Just think BART, which is a cheap system, well cheaper system, i pay like $7 dollars twice in a day, plus $3.00 in parking. So that is about almost $17 dollars a day from one rider. I believe they say there are like 1 Million riders a day. Now i know the calculations are not the same for people traveling to LA, but you get the idea. This is a money maker that will always make money, so putting in 68 Billion will not be much. They will make it back in no time.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

68 billion and 13 years of construction? What.

The Chinese built the Three Gorges Dam for a third of the money in two thirds of the time.

Why does everything cost so much in the west lately. It's getting absurd.

Hell, Shanghai built a 30,5 kilometer Maglev system for 1,2 billion, which is about 400.000$ per kilometer of track. This thing will cost freaking 110.000.000$ per kilometer. What the **** is wrong with these people?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265

@chaplainDMK said:

The Chinese built the Three Gorges Dam for a third of the money in two thirds of the time.

Hell, Shanghai built a 30,5 kilometer Maglev system for 1,2 billion, which is about 400.000$ per kilometer of track. This thing will cost freaking 110.000.000$ per kilometer. What the **** is wrong with these people?

California should import some Chinese laborers to help build the rail.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Yeah I've got a thing for stuff like HSR and mag-lev trains. It just sucks that North America is so far behind compared to Europe and Asia in this area.

It's because we're car dependent. Cars are less commonly used in Europe and Asia. Europe has limited space and many people in Asia don't have access to cars and/or can't afford one.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

@chaplainDMK said:

California should import some Chinese laborers to help build the rail.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

Hmm a little over 2 percent of the federal annual budget (for the record I have no idea where they are getting this money) does seem like an awful lot for one state for a single project. On the other hand the construction jobs would last for thirteen years, and it would reduce traffic for California.

There are definitely pros and cons to this, and I'm not really an expert.

@chaplainDMK said:

Isn't cheap labor why so many businesses moved to China? I would assume the same holds true for their construction jobs.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Serraph105

Another possible aspect of this to consider is technology. As more jobs are available to be done from home the less people will need to go out everyday. Considering this thing isn't supposed to be up and running for 13 years technology might take a good chunk of the traffic problem away over that same time period. It's hard to say whether or not that means this issue would work itself out naturally (kinda doubt it), but it's something I hope those who made this decision stopped to consider.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

somebody is making a crapload off that contract.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

China will have completed its first orbital tether space elevator by the time this railway line is complete. :-/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@LexLas said:

@airshocker said:

68 Billion seems like allot of money, but i'm sure they will make it back in no time with this rail system in place. Just think BART, which is a cheap system, well cheaper system, i pay like $7 dollars twice in a day, plus $3.00 in parking. So that is about almost $17 dollars a day from one rider. I believe they say there are like 1 Million riders a day. Now i know the calculations are not the same for people traveling to LA, but you get the idea. This is a money maker that will always make money, so putting in 68 Billion will not be much. They will make it back in no time.

You are assuming this thing will be capable of handling one million riders a day. No where does it say such a thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@chaplainDMK said:

Because we actually pay our workers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-598fc45371265

@airshocker said:
@chaplainDMK said:

I'm sure this project will put coin in many a pocket.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

As much as the US could use this...I have a bit of a feeling of contempt towards high speed rail ever since John Kerry spoke for what felt like 3 hours at my college graduation about it.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

lol California

nuff said

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts

@airshocker said:

California has a gross state product of over 2 trillion dollars. So, no, it's really not that much in the long run.

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 slateman_basic

@Master_Live said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Does it?

Not the entire continent, but certain areas. Mainly the mid-Atlantic and southern New England. But there is a definite need for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@slateman_basic said:

@airshocker said:

California has a gross state product of over 2 trillion dollars. So, no, it's really not that much in the long run.

And that has nothing to do with their budget, which isn't anywhere close to 2 trillion dollars.

Either way, though, they can pay for it themselves if they really want it.

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 slateman_basic

@airshocker said:
@chaplainDMK said:

More like we overpay our unions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@slateman_basic said:

@airshocker said:

Even if we didn't overpay our unions the Chinese would still have us beat on labor costs. Most of their country live in poverty. They work for food, essentially.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Serraph105
@slateman_basic said:

@airshocker said:
@chaplainDMK said:

You know God forbid people make enough of a living to actually enjoy their lives. You may not like everything unions stand for, but we should be thankful enough to pay the people who improve our infrastructure without bickering about it being something above slave wages.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

2028?! Damn that's a long time, and only from Los Angeles to San Francisco? I'm really not an expert of what materials are needed for this system, so does anyone have any idea on why its gonna take this long?

Considering how long its gonna take to finally complete, and the huge amount of money being put into it, somehow it doesn't feel like its gonna feel much like an accomplishment.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

not exactly what I'd do, but I agree with the point.

I don't see a 68 billion dollar rail being as useful as it could elsewhere.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@slateman_basic said:

@airshocker said:
@chaplainDMK said:

You know God forbid people make enough of a living to actually enjoy their lives. You may not like everything unions stand for, but we should be thankful enough to pay the people who improve our infrastructure without bickering about it being something above slave wages.

I have a feeling that he's a 13 year old fiscal conservative.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Master_Live

Because when someone says overpay it automatically means anything above slave wages.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Hmmmm. I did a paper on the California high-speed rail system back in 2012. Construction was supposed to commence in September of that year.

It's just getting started now? Ouch.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Well it's a start but it seems highly overpriced to what it should be and alot of back alley bullshit with contractors overcharging the government through the nose.. If only people in this country would realize how much the infastructure all over the place has deteriorated due to ignoring it and under funding it.. It seriously seems like we are going to have to have another epic disaster like the oil spill in the gulf (in which it suddenly became apparent why we needed more inspectors for instance and different regulations), for people to have their knee jerk reaction.. That is the problem now a days, every one is reactionary and not proactive with the problems at hand.. People will only raise a fuss of the bridge their driving over suddenly collapses.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#50 aretilda
Member since 2014 • 499 Posts

Well I'm not missing out on much, we have Amtrak and our very own brand new Sunrail here, not high speed but they get the job done.