Brilliant metaphor explaining evolution

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

I was watching Richard Dawkin's "The Genius of Charles Darwin" when I suddenly had what could almost be called an epiphany, of the perfect way to explain how evolution works.

Take a letter from the alphabet at random... in fact, take every letter, and write each one down a hundred times... a hundred hundred times... more... Now, next to each of those letters, choose another letter at complete random... and write that letter next to it. Now, for each of those pairs of letters, write the same pair out again a million times, then maybe add another letter at random next to one of them... or remove a letter... or even leave them all the same for one round. Scrap the ones that don't make sense phonetically. Once in a while use a dictionary from a different latin language, 'killing' any words that don't make sense in the new language. Repeat this a few trillion times, and eventually... you'll have words, single letters, phrases, or perhaps... even something as complex and obviously intelligently designed :roll: as a book. You'll have words that started as a W, and now don't even have a W in them, or sentances that suddenly came about in only a few 'generations'. You'll have countless trillions of garbled words that 'died out', or stagnated and were unable to adapt to the sudden pressures of a new vocabulary.

Just because something is complex, doesn't mean it had to be designed.

Please help me in finding ways to improve this metaphor, help me find errors or strong points, because I honestly think this is the best metaphorical explanation of evolution and natural selection that I have ever seen.

-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

My brain began to smoke after a few sentences in.

Edit: After re-reading through it, I feel that it's a pretty basic representation of the theory of evolution through figurative language. It's not covering all details, however, but the explanation is pretty accurate to what the theory states. Good job.

a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 a55assin
Member since 2005 • 7603 Posts
How about this: Changes in the environment = Evolution
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tylendal

How about this: Changes in the environment = Evolutiona55assin
They don't though, that's the thing. Changes in the environment don't necessarily cause evolution. Changes in the environment that exert pressure on organisms result in evolution. Evolution is not something that happens. Evolution is something having happened.

Edit: Also, that explanation, although simple (in a good way) and fundamentally correct, is far too easy to explain away or deny. What I'm striving to do is explain what exactly evolution is, as an answer to people who ask questions such as "Well why aren't chimpanzess still turning into humans?"

-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Jiggles-

How about this: Changes in the environment = Evolutiona55assin

Rather brief, don't you think?

jb0Ogi3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 jb0Ogi3
Member since 2008 • 227 Posts
I really didn't catch any of that but yeah go evolution.
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
Good analogy, though it's not like the people who argue against evolution are relevant any more
-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Jiggles-

Good analogy, though it's not like the people who argue against evolution are relevant any moremunu9

I believe the arguement is directed towards those who are still on the fence about their beliefs. Fundamentalists' mindsets against evolution are too concrete to sway in any sort of way, no matter how much evidence is presented in evolution's favor. Just leave them be.

gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
Your metaphor seemed even more complicated than the theory itself.
-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Jiggles-

Your metaphor seemed even more complicated than the theory itself.gobo212

Probably because he included many of the basic aspects of how evolution actually works within the theory's explanation rather than a brief summarization of which theories are usually made up of.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tylendal

[QUOTE="gobo212"]Your metaphor seemed even more complicated than the theory itself.-Jiggles-

Probably because he included many of the basic aspects of how evolution actually works within the theory's explanation rather than a brief summarization of which theories are usually made up of.

I like to think that by presenting it like this, a person reluctant to acknowledge evolution is drawn into the metaphor due to the fact that they can relate more easily to what is being said.
Ultimeaciax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ultimeaciax
Member since 2003 • 3043 Posts

However, we started out w/ a single cell organism... wait no, maybe just an element. We didn't have all 26 possibilities like the alphabets at the start.

a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 a55assin

[QUOTE="a55assin"]How about this: Changes in the environment = EvolutionTylendal

They don't though, that's the thing. Changes in the environment don't necessarily cause evolution. Changes in the environment that exert pressure on organisms result in evolution. Evolution is not something that happens. Evolution is something having happened.

Edit: Also, that explanation, although simple (in a good way) and fundamentally correct, is far too easy to explain away or deny. What I'm striving to do is explain what exactly evolution is, as an answer to people who ask questions such as "Well why aren't chimpanzess still turning into humans?"

But over the last few millennia, humans themselves had evolved slightly--as had certain other mammals. Humans were way shorter in the Roman times, way shorter. Our bones differed, our behavior was more aggressive. Little things, big things, it's all pretty obvious. We don't stay the same for thousands--hundreds of thousands--of years. If we really came from Adam and Eve, they weren't human. --Too long time ago. This is all obvious. These are facts. If someone doesn't want to believe, they won't, and that's that. It's not that words and/or facts are missing--it's just that breaking tradition and religious belief is one of the hardest things in life. (You lose something once you lose faith.) My point being, no trick of word will change minds when people don't want to believe in something their spirits refuse to even consider. --No matter how elaborate, how witty or sneaky. And, you have to understand, there are many, many more of them than there are of us. Religion still thrives. The Evolution Theory--which shouldn't be a theory, it should be hard fact--is in the way of "the one true way," or something. Who knows. I think I have a pretty good metaphor, too. (Not that it matters.) You write the letter "E" first time in your life, and you get something that resembles a pile of feces. you write it a million times, and you have an "E." That's what happened with us. From bacteria to mammal.
TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

Writing all those letters would take way too much time. I personally wouldn't wriite that many letters, I'd get carpal tunnel. :(

Good analogy.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

This metaphor collapses with the very first sentence:

"Take a letter from the alphabet at random".

You do see the problem, don't you?

a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 a55assin

jethrovegas
Evolution itself is random . . . so what's the problem?
-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Jiggles-

However, we started out w/ a single cell organism... wait no, maybe just an element. We didn't have all 26 possibilities like the alphabets at the start.

Ultimeaciax

Alphabetical letters are used as a metaphor for DNA base pairs within his explanation, not elements.

gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
[QUOTE="jethrovegas"]

a55assin

Evolution isn't random...
-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -Jiggles-

[QUOTE="jethrovegas"]

a55assin

Mutations within DNA is random, but natural selection is not.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tylendal

jethrovegas
Are you referring to the fact that the alphabet is already something created? You need something to start from, even if it was just a few molecules of carbon (or possibly silicon, or (more unlikely) almost any element). And if you want to ask where those came from? The answer is... "I don't know." However, I have never, ever, heard anyone give me a satisfactory answer as to where everything came from. Narry a shred of evidence, but that isn't what evolution is trying to prove.
Ultimeaciax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ultimeaciax
But over the last few millennia, humans themselves had evolved slightly--as had certain other mammals. Humans were way shorter in the Roman times, way shorter. Our bones differed, our behavior was more aggressive.a55assin
That's not evolution. That's something called healthy. In the modern world, we have tech/science that helps us understand what's healthy and what's not. Back then they had nothing but just called god for help. We, homo sapiens, have yet evolved.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Tylendal
[QUOTE="a55assin"]But over the last few millennia, humans themselves had evolved slightly--as had certain other mammals. Humans were way shorter in the Roman times, way shorter. Our bones differed, our behavior was more aggressive.Ultimeaciax
That's not evolution. That's something called healthy. In the modern world, we have tech/science that helps us understand what's healthy and what's not. Back then they had nothing but just called god for help. We, homo sapiens, have yet evolved.

A foot or two in average height doesn't come just from being healthy. There are tons of healthy people under five feet, and plenty of malnourished people over six. Still, in today's modern society, I believe that evolution has mostly stopped, simply because technology gives us a crutch for any weaknesses that natural selection would have formerly weeded out.
Ultimeaciax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ultimeaciax

[QUOTE="Ultimeaciax"]

Alphabetical letters are used as a metaphor for DNA base pairs within his explanation, not elements.

-Jiggles-

[QUOTE="Ultimeaciax"]

-Jiggles-

So? I'm just countered his points by stating that we didn't started out with that much possibilities. We derived from a prokaryote. My element thing was kind of irrelevant. I'm just going way too far back, and that's not really "life."
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jethrovegas

[QUOTE="jethrovegas"]

Tylendal

Are you referring to the fact that the alphabet is already something created? You need something to start from, even if it was just a few molecules of carbon (or possibly silicon, or (more unlikely) almost any element). And if you want to ask where those came from? The answer is... "I don't know." However, I have never, ever, heard anyone give me a satisfactory answer as to where everything came from. Narry a shred of evidence, but that isn't what evolution is trying to prove.

Nope.

Let me narrow it down to the one word:

"Take".

a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 a55assin
As a whole, it is random. There is no one thing directing it. Everything in evolution depends on something else; the cycle is unbreakable. Scientifically, evolution is both random and not--but more so to the "not." However, natural selection's first step IS random--chances. The mutation. And since it starts out with chance, it doesn't much matter how we end up. We could have had 6 fingers on each hand. Some still do--but they don't count. Anyway, evolution isn't all 0's and 1's. (Only on screen.) And there are, of course, different kids of believed versions. Not that it matters to us humans. We live in the "now," not in the next hundred of years.
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
As a whole, it is random. There is no one thing directing it. Everything in evolution depends on something else; the cycle is unbreakable. Scientifically, evolution is both random and not--but more so to the "not." However, natural selection's first step IS random--chances. The mutation. And since it starts out with chance, it doesn't much matter how we end up. We could have had 6 fingers on each hand. Some still do--but they don't count. Anyway, evolution isn't all 0's and 1's. (Only on screen.) And there are, of course, different kids of believed versions. Not that it matters to us humans. We live in the "now," not in the next hundred of years. a55assin
No, it is not random. Natural selection is the opposite of random. And natural selection works with or without mutations.
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 a55assin
[QUOTE="a55assin"]As a whole, it is random. There is no one thing directing it. Everything in evolution depends on something else; the cycle is unbreakable. Scientifically, evolution is both random and not--but more so to the "not." However, natural selection's first step IS random--chances. The mutation. And since it starts out with chance, it doesn't much matter how we end up. We could have had 6 fingers on each hand. Some still do--but they don't count. Anyway, evolution isn't all 0's and 1's. (Only on screen.) And there are, of course, different kids of believed versions. Not that it matters to us humans. We live in the "now," not in the next hundred of years. zakkro
No, it is not random. Natural selection is the opposite of random. And natural selection works with or without mutations.

Mutations happen more often than not--and the fact that it doesn't happen every single time further strengthens my view. Nothing is certain, and chance rules all.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tylendal

[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="jethrovegas"]

jethrovegas

Nope.

Let me narrow it down to the one word:

"Take".

Other than that the alphabet is already there to begin with in my metaphor, which you've stated isn't the problem, then no, I don't see the problem. I'd be much obliged if you would enlighten me.
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zakkro
[QUOTE="a55assin"] Mutations happen more often than not--and the fact that it doesn't happen every single time further strengthens my view. Nothing is certain, and chance rules all.

And most of them are neutral.
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 a55assin

[QUOTE="a55assin"] Mutations happen more often than not--and the fact that it doesn't happen every single time further strengthens my view. Nothing is certain, and chance rules all. zakkro

Like I said, it's both random and not. Individual mutation that provides variation is random. And, based on these variations, the nonrandom selective force goes to work and directs evolution. But since there could be random factors in something as grand as "Evolution," then the whole process simply cannot be all naturally selected.

/going to sleep

Ultimeaciax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ultimeaciax
[QUOTE="Ultimeaciax"][QUOTE="a55assin"]But over the last few millennia, humans themselves had evolved slightly--as had certain other mammals. Humans were way shorter in the Roman times, way shorter. Our bones differed, our behavior was more aggressive.Tylendal

A foot or two in average height doesn't come just from being healthy. There are tons of healthy people under five feet, and plenty of malnourished people over six. Still, in today's modern society, I believe that evolution has mostly stopped, simply because technology gives us a crutch for any weaknesses that natural selection would have formerly weeded out.

Show me some that were malnourished throughout their lives and over six. Really. Science has helped to understand our capabilities through eating healthy and such. Back in the Roman times they were shorter, b/c they were a heck more malnourished. Also, a foot or two is a bit over exaggerating... the avg height back then is in the 5'4" range. Today, the avg height for men in America is 5'8" and women is 5'4" (stats taken from Museum of Science in Boston). So, I don't see such a big discrepancy in order to call us that...we have evolved.
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 zakkro
[QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="zakkro"][QUOTE="a55assin"] Mutations happen more often than not--and the fact that it doesn't happen every single time further strengthens my view. Nothing is certain, and chance rules all.

Like I said, it's both random and not. Individual mutation that provides variation is random. And, based on these variations, the nonrandom selective force goes to work and directs evolution. But since there could be random factors in something as grand as "Evolution," then the whole process simply cannot be all naturally selected.

But it's wholly non-random. The mutations don't have to be there... natural selection can 'turn on' a gene when a population is under selective pressure, for example.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Tylendal
[QUOTE="Ultimeaciax"][QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="Ultimeaciax"] That's not evolution. That's something called healthy. In the modern world, we have tech/science that helps us understand what's healthy and what's not. Back then they had nothing but just called god for help. We, homo sapiens, have yet evolved.

Show me some that were malnourished throughout their lives and over six. Really. Science has helped to understand our capabilities through eating healthy and such. Back in the Roman times they were shorter, b/c they were a heck more malnourished. Also, a foot or two is a bit over exaggerating... the avg height back then is in the 5'4" range. Today, the avg height for men in America is 5'8" and women is 5'4" (stats taken from Museum of Science in Boston). So, I don't see such a big discrepancy in order to call us that...we have evolved.

Okay. I stand corrected.
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jethrovegas

Other than that the alphabet is already there to begin with in my metaphor, which you've stated isn't the problem, then no, I don't see the problem. I'd be much obliged if you would enlighten me.Tylendal

"Take a letter from the alphabet at random."

In this sentence, the word 'take' implies action.

You cannot look at three cupcakes and take one randomly. You choose which cupcake you take, and regardless of whether or not you actually sit there for a bit and rationally consider which cupcake you want the most, you will never be able to choose one completely at 'random'.

The act of taking the cupcake is tainted by your volition, by your rational mind; it is corrupted by intent, and cannot be wholly 'random' as a consequence.

That is the first problem.

The second problem is more obvious.

In the metaphor, the letters are being placed. Even with the erroneous assumption that they are being placed "randomly" left to stand, the letters are still being placed.

The metaphor implies action, implies intent and implies a degree of control; as a result, it just doesn't work.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Tylendal
[QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="zakkro"]And most of them are neutral. zakkro

But it's wholly non-random. The mutations don't have to be there... natural selection can 'turn on' a gene when a population is under selective pressure, for example.

There's the problem of attributing intent to evolution. What really happens is that a gene might get turned on, and just happen to be a good thing as dictated by the current selective pressures. There is no control center thinking. "Hmm... right now would be a really good time to have gills."
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 a55assin
[QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="zakkro"]And most of them are neutral. zakkro

Or mutate, you don't know, neither do I. And scientists still cannot fathom the complicity of evolution.
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zakkro
There's the problem of attributing intent to evolution. What really happens is that a gene might get turned on, and just happen to be a good thing as dictated by the current selective pressures. There is no control center thinking. "Hmm... right now would be a really good time to have gills."Tylendal
Yeah, I know, but it's for the sake of argument. :P
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

There was a Thunderf00t video I presume that featured something along these lines, except it had to do with dots and not letters. After many thousands of "generations" it started forming something that looked like a picture.

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 zakkro
[QUOTE="a55assin"] Or mutate, you don't know, neither do I. And scientists still cannot fathom the complicity of evolution.

I know that if a physical barrier separates a population, over a long period of time, the two groups that split will have become two different species that would not reproduce with each other if given the chance (because they can't). Doesn't sound random.
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 zakkro

There was a Thunderf00t video I presume that featured something along these lines, except it had to do with dots and not letters. After many thousands of "generations" it started forming something that looked like a picture.

foxhound_fox
That was cdk007, I think. :P
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Tylendal

[QUOTE="Tylendal"] Other than that the alphabet is already there to begin with in my metaphor, which you've stated isn't the problem, then no, I don't see the problem. I'd be much obliged if you would enlighten me.jethrovegas

"Take a letter from the alphabet at random."

In this sentence, the word 'take' implies action.

You cannot look at three cupcakes and take one randomly. You choose which cupcake you take, and regardless of whether or not you actually sit there for a bit and rationally consider which cupcake you want the most, you will never be able to choose one completely at 'random'.

The act of taking the cupcake is tainted by your volition, by your rational mind; it is corrupted by intent, and cannot be wholly 'random' as a consequence.

That is the first problem.

The second problem is more obvious.

In the metaphor, the letters are being placed. Even with the erroneous assumption that they are being placed "randomly" left to stand, the letters are still being placed.

The metaphor implies action, implies intent and implies a degree of control; as a result, it just doesn't work.

It's supposed to represent evolution, not emulate it. And yes, you could take a cupcake at, if not random, at least at a choice unnaffected by your own bias. Assign each cupcake two numbers from one to six, then roll a dice. There you go. However, I digress. Since the letters of the alphabet aren't going to be scurrying off on their own to reproduce, the act of writing them out yourself is a simulacrum of such actions.

Action, is clear... evolution works with living creatures, not rocks.

Intent? There is no intent here, other than that of emulating the natural pressures applied in a real scenario.

And as for control? But of course. That's what natural selection is... control. Without control, there would be no limit to the outrageous paths that evolution would have taken, with completely nonsensical results. What creationists fail to realize is just how huge a factor control is in evolution. Maybe not concious control, but control nonetheless.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Tylendal
[QUOTE="zakkro"][QUOTE="a55assin"] Or mutate, you don't know, neither do I. And scientists still cannot fathom the complicity of evolution.

I know that if a physical barrier separates a population, over a long period of time, the two groups that split will have become two different species that would not reproduce with each other if given the chance (because they can't). Doesn't sound random.

You don't know that for sure. They could be under the same environmental pressures, and therefore end up not changing at all, or by random chance, ending up very different. They could be under very different environmental pressures, but manage to adapt with very minor changes. It really is quite random.
CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
This reminded me of a game I used to play where we would all get a in a line and whisper a msg in someones ear and see how its changes by the end. so just compare it to that.
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 zakkro

You don't know that for sure. They could be under the same environmental pressures, and therefore end up not changing at all, or by random chance, ending up very different. They could be under very different environmental pressures, but manage to adapt with very minor changes. It really is quite random.Tylendal
And those pressures will stay the same for a long period of time? Perhaps 'know' wasn't the right word afterall... what about 'highly likey'? >.>

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tylendal
[QUOTE="zakkro"][QUOTE="Tylendal"] You don't know that for sure. They could be under the same environmental pressures, and therefore end up not changing at all, or by random chance, ending up very different. They could be under very different environmental pressures, but manage to adapt with very minor changes. It really is quite random.

And those pressures will stay the same for a long period of time?

That doesn't matter, what matters is are the pressures changing at the same rate and in the same way for each population? Of course, the longer the period of time in question, the less likely it is that the populations will be able to still interbreed. It's still always a possibility, but generally becomes less likely with each generation.
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 zakkro
[QUOTE="Tylendal"] That doesn't matter, what matters is are the pressures changing at the same rate and in the same way for each population? Of course, the longer the period of time in question, the less likely it is that the populations will be able to still interbreed. It's still always a possibility, but generally becomes less likely with each generation.

Yeah, know wasn't the right word, but the probability of them separating into different species as long as these barriers still exist is high. :P Again, I'm just using the definition of species where two animals who can reproduce to create viable offspring are considered to be in the same species.
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jethrovegas

It's supposed to represent evolution, not emulate it. And yes, you could take a cupcake at, if not random,at least at a choice unnaffected by your own bias. Assign each cupcake two numbers from one to six, then roll a dice. There you go. However, I digress. Since the letters of the alphabet aren't going to be scurrying off on their own to reproduce, the act of writing them out yourself is a simulacrum of such actions.

Intent? There is no intent here, other than that of emulating the natural pressures applied in a real scenario.

And as for control? But of course. That's what natural selection is... control. Without control, there would be no limit to the outrageous paths that evolution would have taken, with completely nonsensical results. What creationists fail to realize is just how huge a factor control is in evolution. Maybe not concious control, but control nonetheless.

Tylendal

It would not be random. Unaffected by bias =/= random... and you seem to have admitted this, which is odd, asthis alone is enough to bring your metaphor crashing down.

Nevertheless, I'll continue, if only for the sake of argument.

Once more, the second problem with your metaphor; the word 'Take'.

Take a letter randomly.

It implies necessity of intentional action on the part of the arranger, and it implies the necessity of the 'random' arranger to begin with. This does not work. The metaphor implies that the letters must be set in motion. Within the context of the metaphor, the letters are incabable of arranging themselves, randomly or otherwise. Within the context of the metaphor the letters would not make words if you did not "randomly" arrange them.

It's just a deeply flawed metaphor. Excuse its flaws by whatever means you deem necessary, but do remember that you asked for it...

help me find errors Tylendal

...and you shouldn't be surprised when you get what you ask for.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Tylendal

[QUOTE="Tylendal"]

It's supposed to represent evolution, not emulate it. And yes, you could take a cupcake at, if not random,at least at a choice unnaffected by your own bias. Assign each cupcake two numbers from one to six, then roll a dice. There you go. However, I digress. Since the letters of the alphabet aren't going to be scurrying off on their own to reproduce, the act of writing them out yourself is a simulacrum of such actions.

jethrovegas

It would not be random. Unaffected by bias =/= random... and you seem to have admitted this, which is odd, asthis alone is enough to bring your metaphor crashing down.

Nevertheless, I'll continue, if only for the sake of argument.

Once more, the second problem with your metaphor; the word 'Take'.

Take a letter randomly.

It implies necessity of intentional action on the part of the arranger, and it implies the necessity of the 'random' arranger to begin with. This does not work. The metaphor implies that the letters must be set in motion. Within the context of the metaphor, the letters are incabable of arranging themselves, randomly or otherwise. Within the context of the metaphor the letters would not make words if you did not "randomly" arrange them.

It's just a deeply flawed metaphor. Excuse its flaws by whatever means you deem necessary, but do remember that you asked for it...

help me find errors Tylendal

...and you shouldn't be surprised when you get what you ask for.

What you fail to understand is that this is a metaphor. Here's the dictionary definition of a metaphor. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance Note, I am not striving to devise a system that is evolution, only one that showcases its fundamental points, and the ones that are most misunderstood. As for randomness, no, nothing it truly random, but some things are as random as we can conceivably achieve, being, without bias. At the same time, it can be argued that mutations within a living organism are not random, but instead are a result of flaws within the copying of DNA, that are affected by minute influences during the process. And yes, there is intentional action on the part of the arranger, the intent to personally emulate influences and actions that would generally be undertaken by countless and unintentional organisms. Unless of course you are are trying to say that there is something intentionally arranging all living organisms, which is terrible logic, because it follows this path. "Since letters of the alphabet are incapable of organizing themselves, so too are self powered organisms incapable of undertaking anything without outside influence." In such a case you have drastically taken reality, and turned it into a metaphor representing a metaphor now masquerading as reality.