Best movie acting of the decade?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

There have been tons of great actors doing incredible performances this decade and to name them all would take ages, so I will just name the ones I can think of now.

1. Ben Kingsley in Sexy beast

2. Paddy Considine in Dead Man's shoes- This guy could make anyone crap themselves just by looking at him, I have not seen an actor be so threatening and so tormented in years. I recommend that everyone here watches Dead Man's shoes, it is a truly great and tragic film.

3. Don Cheadle in Talk to me- Don Cheadle is one of the coolest and most underrated actors of our generation, he is better and more diverse than Denzel Washington imo.

4. Stephen Graham in This is England- This guy is a disturbed character and a skinhead. Very underrated performance. He can be kind and caring one second, then be violent and cruel the next.

5. Daniel Day Lewis in There Will be blood and Gangs of new york- I cant pick which performance is better, they are both great in their own ways.

6. Jodelle Ferland in Tideland- I didn't think much of this girl when she was in Silent Hill, but this film shows that she has just as much potential and acting talent as Dakota Fanning if not more. I look forward to seeing what this girl does in the future.

7. Cillian Murphy in Breakfast on Pluto- Funny story, Cillian Murphy plays a man who doesnt know who he is. There is a part where Cillian dresses as a girl with a blonde wig, my dad walked in on me watching this and he said "Damn that girl is pretty sexy." I of course told him that he was watching Cillian Murphy. He looked shocked and slowly walked away.

8. Sean Penn in I am sam- The film itself is not that great to be honest, but Sean Penn was great in it.

9. Willem Dafoe in Shadow of the vampire- Wilem has been way too underrated for far too long.

10. Christian Bale in American Psycho- Christian bale needs to do more comedy, he is being way too serious and he needs to calm the hell down.

11. Colin Ferrell in In Bruges- I'm sure many will think I am overrating Colin here, but his balence of comedy and drama is second to none. Also he is one of the few actors who can actually do a good crying scene.

12. Phillip Seymour hoffman in Synecdoche New York

13. Forest Whittaker in The Last king of scotland

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Film-Guy
I forgot to mention someone. I thought that Kurt Russell in Dark Blue was more impressive than Denzel Washington in Training day. Both films were done by the same writer but no offense to Denzel, but he is not the most diverse actor around. I like the guy but he is pretty overrated.
JoshXXXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JoshXXXXX
Member since 2005 • 16657 Posts
I actually thought the acting in Frost/Nixon was some of the best I've seen in a long time. I agree with Roger Ebert, Michael Sheen and Frank Langella practically become their characters.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Film-Guy
I actually thought the acting in Frost/Nixon was some of the best I've seen in a long time. I agree with Roger Ebert, Michael Sheen and Frank Langella practically become their characters.JoshXXXXX
Frank Langella was great, better than Anthony Hopkins was as nixon imo.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#5 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
The ensemble cast of City of God is the best.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

some of those arent this decade, but w/e they are good anyway. i definitely agree with daniel day lewis though i put his performance in there will be blood on top of gangs of new york simply because the role was a greater responsibility.

i thought viggo mortenson was great in eastern promises.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
ehhh...that is a hard question. Id go with Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York, Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator,Paul Newman in Road to Perdition, Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck in The Assassination of Jesse James, Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men....there are others.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Film-Guy

some of those arent this decade, but w/e they are good anyway. i definitely agree with daniel day lewis though i put his performance in there will be blood on top of gangs of new york simply because the role was a greater responsibility.

LoG-Sacrament
I'm pretty sure they are all from this decade, I checked to make sure.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Film-Guy
The ensemble cast of City of God is the best.Toriko42
What I find incredible about the acting in that film is that most of those kids are not even trained actors, most were from the slums they filmed in I think.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#10 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

7. Cillian Murphy in Breakfast on Pluto- Funny story, Cillian Murphy plays a man who doesnt know who he is. There is a part where Cillian dresses as a girl with a blonde wig, my dad walked in on me watching this and he said "Damn that girl is pretty sexy." I of course told him that he was watching Cillian Murphy. He looked shocked and slowly walked away.

8. 10. Christian Bale in American Psycho- Christian bale needs to do more comedy, he is being way too serious and he needs to calm the hell down.

Film-Guy

I can think of lots of actors who performed the roles of their lives,but I do not know if thwy can beat that.

on a side note,anything going on with the casting for your film?

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]

nil by mouth is 97 (i only knew because id never heard of it before and figured id wiki it) and i couldve sworn american psycho and shadow of the vampire were in the 90's but apparently they squeaked in. either way, a good performance is a good performance.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

8. 10. Christian Bale in American Psycho- Christian bale needs to do more comedy, he is being way too serious and he needs to calm the hell down.

mattykovax

I can think of lots of actors who performed the roles of their lives,but I do not know if thwy can beat that.

The casting thing has changed a bit. Instead of writing the film as a short and thinking of what I can and can't do and I going to write whats in my head and not think of anything but what works. Then I am going to send the script to some production companies and talent agencies. I am having some severe doubts though, I don't know if I should still write it as a feature or go with my original short idea and think of what I can and cant do you know? Its a tough decision and I have already written a few pages of the script already.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Film-Guy"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]

nil by mouth is 97 (i only knew because id never heard of it before and figured id wiki it) and i couldve sworn american psycho and shadow of the vampire were in the 90's but apparently they squeaked in. either way, a good performance is a good performance.

You are right about Nil By Mouth, I'm going to change that one. Shadow of the vampire and american psycho though are from the 2000's.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
I want Ben Kingsley up there for Sexy Beast - a really vivid performance.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Film-Guy
Bruno Ganz as Hitler in the film Downfall is probably one of the best acting I have seen ever, did anyone else see and love that film?
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Film-Guy
I want Ben Kingsley up there for Sexy Beast - a really vivid performance.jimmyjammer69
I just added him right before you said that pretty much, he was great in that film.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mattykovax
[QUOTE="mattykovax"][QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

Film-Guy

The casting thing has changed a bit. Instead of writing the film as a short and thinking of what I can and can't do and I going to write whats in my head and not think of anything but what works. Then I am going to send the script to some production companies and talent agencies. I am having some severe doubts though, I don't know if I should still write it as a feature or go with my original short idea and think of what I can and cant do you know? Its a tough decision and I have already written a few pages of the script already.

Id write it out. that way you have the fullscript,and if your constrained you can do it as a short,but if the short picks up interest have the fullscript so you can show the people with the money you are already feature ready. just my opinion,but I really want to see you succed.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Paddy Considine in every movie he's been in. Especially in A Room for Romeo Brass and Dead Man's Shoes.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts

11. Colin Ferrell in In Bruges- I'm sure many will think I am overrating Colin here, but his balence of comedy and drama is second to none. Also he is one of the few actors who can actually do a good crying scene.

Film-Guy

Saw this for the first time last night, definately one of my favs of 08 and I agree with what you said about Colin, never was a Colin fan but after seeing him in In Bruges my pereption of him changed, I realised he wasnt just another pretty boy actor, there was more there, and I can't wait to see it. Now I cant think of Colin and not laugh, he was hilarious, probably one of my favorite characters of the last decade also.

I'd also lik to say that because of what you said a long, long time ago about It's always Sunny (And your avatar) I checked it out and it's now one of my fav shows, so thanks.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]I want Ben Kingsley up there for Sexy Beast - a really vivid performance.Film-Guy
I just added him right before you said that pretty much, he was great in that film.

Wow, weird. Guess there's a similarity to Ray Winstone's role. Maybe why I thought of it.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]I want Ben Kingsley up there for Sexy Beast - a really vivid performance.jimmyjammer69

Wow, weird. Guess there's a similarity to Ray Winstone's role. Maybe why I thought of it.

Ralph Fieenes character in In Bruges was pretty much a copy of Ben Kingsley's in Sexy Beast, watch both films and you will notice how similar they are.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Toriko42
[QUOTE="Toriko42"]The ensemble cast of City of God is the best.Film-Guy
What I find incredible about the acting in that film is that most of those kids are not even trained actors, most were from the slums they filmed in I think.

Yep, not a single actor in it was bad, in fact all were amazing.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

Im_single

Saw this for the first time last night, definately one of my favs of 08 and I agree with what you said about Colin, never was a Colin fan but after seeing him in In Bruges my pereption of him changed, I realised he wasnt just another pretty boy actor, there was more there, and I can't wait to see it. Now I cant think of Colin and not laugh, he was hilarious, probably one of my favorite characters of the last decade also.

I'd also lik to say that because of what you said a long, long time ago about It's always Sunny (And your avatar) I checked it out and it's now one of my fav shows, so thanks.

You should see Collin in the film Intermission, he and Cillian Murphy were great in that. Also see Disco Pigs and Breakfast on pluto to see some great acting from Cillian Murphy.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"][QUOTE="Toriko42"]The ensemble cast of City of God is the best.Toriko42

Lil Ze is one of the most brutal and terrifying characters I have ever seen in a film, no joke that guy actually scared me at times. That scene where he tells the kid to shoot those small boys is one of the most intense scenes in film history imo.
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts

I actually thought the acting in Frost/Nixon was some of the best I've seen in a long time. I agree with Roger Ebert, Michael Sheen and Frank Langella practically become their characters.JoshXXXXX
I agree to.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Film-Guy

Id write it out. that way you have the fullscript,and if your constrained you can do it as a short,but if the short picks up interest have the fullscript so you can show the people with the money you are already feature ready. just my opinion,but I really want to see you succed.

I think I should write the short then the feature so I can send the short first and if there is interest I can send the feature next. The short would be easier but I would have to focus the story alot and make it more constrained.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Toriko42
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"][QUOTE="Toriko42"][QUOTE="Film-Guy"] What I find incredible about the acting in that film is that most of those kids are not even trained actors, most were from the slums they filmed in I think.

Lil Ze is one of the most brutal and terrifying characters I have ever seen in a film, no joke that guy actually scared me at times. That scene where he tells the kid to shoot those small boys is one of the most intense scenes in film history imo.

Yeah I had to cover my eyes and I'm no stranger to violent movies.
D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 D3nnyCrane
Member since 2007 • 12058 Posts
Maybe a little left field, but Ivana Baquero in Pan's Labyrinth was very impressive.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"][QUOTE="Toriko42"] Yep, not a single actor in it was bad, in fact all were amazing.Toriko42

Yeah I had to cover my eyes and I'm no stranger to violent movies.

It was so well shot (No that is not a bad pun) and acted, those poor kids. I actually teared up at that scene. Shame the directors films seem to get worse and worse, I liked the constand gardener alot, but Blindness was very dissapointing.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Film-Guy
Maybe a little left field, but Ivana Baquero in Pan's Labyrinth was very impressive.D3nnyCrane
For a kid yeah she was, hope she continues to act. I think that was her first acting role too. Speaking of first acting roles I wanted to mention Thomas Turngoose in This is england and Line Leandersson in Let the right one in.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mattykovax
The casting thing has changed a bit. Instead of writing the film as a short and thinking of what I can and can't do and I going to write whats in my head and not think of anything but what works. Then I am going to send the script to some production companies and talent agencies. I am having some severe doubts though, I don't know if I should still write it as a feature or go with my original short idea and think of what I can and cant do you know? Its a tough decision and I have already written a few pages of the script already. Film-Guy

I think I should write the short then the feature so I can send the short first and if there is interest I can send the feature next. The short would be easier but I would have to focus the story alot and make it more constrained.

That works too. I just would like to see you have the second option.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]Id write it out. that way you have the fullscript,and if your constrained you can do it as a short,but if the short picks up interest have the fullscript so you can show the people with the money you are already feature ready. just my opinion,but I really want to see you succed.mattykovax

That works too. I just would like to see you have the second option.

I could send you what I have written so far to see what you think, I dont know how I would do that though.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Film-Guy
I'm sure nobody here has seen this film, but I thought that Tomas Lemarquis was great in the film Noi the albino. I think I am the only one here who has seen this film though, nobody mentions it. Shame, I really recommend you all see the film.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Film-Guy
I think we should show some appreciation for some actresses here. Charlize Theron in Monster Evan Rachel Wood in King of california, down in the valley, and The Wrestler Ellen Page in An American Crime, and Hard Candy Catherine Keener in An American Crime Melissa Leo in Frozen River Meryl Streep in Doubt- not a good film but she was great in it Amy Adams in Doubt Frances McDormand in Almost Famous- Just saw this film recently and I enjoyed it.
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York, and Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Film-Guy
Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York, and Heath Ledger in The Dark Knightweb966
I actually just saw Heath in a really underrated film Ned Kelly. He was good in it, did you see that one?
Guyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Guyper
Member since 2004 • 3879 Posts
Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Film-Guy
Forgot to mention Aidrian Brody in The Pianist.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Film-Guy
Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow.Guyper
He was good in the first one, i really liked that film. The last 2 though sucked and I am sure the 4th will suck too.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Film-Guy
Not many people will liked this film, but I thought that Josh Brolin was great as George w bush in W. I thought that film was really underrated.
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
Hands down Heath Ledger in "The Dark Night"
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Film-Guy
Hands down Heath Ledger in "The Dark Night"krazyorange
Heath was great in the Dark Knight, but I dont know if he was the best of the decade.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mattykovax
Forgot to mention Aidrian Brody in The Pianist. Film-Guy
Im horror guy,but how about brody in " The Jacket" messed up movie.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]Forgot to mention Aidrian Brody in The Pianist. mattykovax
Im horror guy,but how about brody in " The Jacket" messed up movie.

The Jacket was good, Brody was also good in the Darjeeling limited. Seeing him do comedy was a good change of pace for him.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Film-Guy
Hands down Heath Ledger in "The Dark Night"krazyorange
I also liked Heath in A Knights tale, Ned Kelly, and Brokeback mountain.
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
Forgot to mention Aidrian Brody in The Pianist. Film-Guy
Excellent movie, great acting, but really, I'll keep pressing Heath Ledger. Simply watch his arm motions and mouth synching. It's preposterous any human being can make a character so diabolic.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]Forgot to mention Aidrian Brody in The Pianist. krazyorange
Excellent movie, great acting, but really, I'll keep pressing Heath Ledger. Simply watch his arm motions and mouth synching. It's preposterous any human being can make a character so diabolic.

If you wanna see psychotic you need to see City of god, that film has one of the most psychotic characters in film history and some of the best characters ever.
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts

[QUOTE="web966"]Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York, and Heath Ledger in The Dark KnightFilm-Guy
I actually just saw Heath in a really underrated film Ned Kelly. He was good in it, did you see that one?

Nope, Ive never heard of it actually.