Banning guns in the U.S. wouldn't solve anything.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tsb247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 tsb247
Member since 2004 • 1373 Posts

I am a gun owner. I will be the first to admit that. I own somewhere around 11 (I think... I lost count), and I am quite keen on keeping them in my posession. I shoot for sport, and I shoot for fun, and it is a great source of enjoyment.

However, there are those that believe that guns are inherently evil and should be taken away from all who posess them. I have often wondered why this is. A gun never killed anyone of its own free will. They are simply conglomerations of metal, springs, and levers that do what the operator tells them to do. They are the definition of tools.

How would taking them away from those who own them benefit the country, if at all? Especially since there are still people who hunt for food.

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 effthat
Member since 2007 • 2314 Posts
I think that most people here agree with you.
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

The point is really that all those people owning guns makes killing so much easier I quess. If you have to buy a gun through the illegal market, you'd think twice before trying all that, or killing someone with another weapon. Getting a gun is just a treshold people have to pass to kill someone. Of course people can kill with knives, but in the case of knives, people can still defend themselves or run away (see: school shootings).

Then again, banning guns might have no effect in the US. I just wanted to say that you didn't see the problem people have with them clear enough.

Oh, I'm european by the way, so we probably see things completely different. I'm just used to the illegality of guns.

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
I have no problems with guns. It's the people that don't register their weapons that I have a problem wit.
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
More people die from drunk driving and cigarettes than they do from guns. I'm not against guns, but I am a supporter of strict gun control.
Avatar image for swizz-the-gamer
swizz-the-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 swizz-the-gamer
Member since 2005 • 8801 Posts
You should not own a gun if you have trouble counting past 11.
Bloodaxe726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bloodaxe726
Member since 2007 • 7903 Posts
Taking away guns wouldn't solve anything, everyone should have a gun, that way if someone started shooting up a place someone there would shoot back
DeerhunterIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DeerhunterIA
Member since 2006 • 684 Posts

The point is really that all those people owning guns makes killing so much easier I quess. If you have to buy a gun through the illegal market, you'd think twice before trying all that, or killing someone with another weapon. Getting a gun is just a treshold people have to pass to kill someone. Of course people can kill with knives, but in the case of knives, people can still defend themselves or run away (see: school shootings).

Then again, banning guns might have no effect in the US. I just wanted to say that you didn't see the problem people have with them clear enough.

11Marcel

Running didn't help all the people that have been getting stabbed in Japan lately has it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
I don't really know about banning guns in the US, since you got such a crazy gun culture. But I'm glad they're banned here in the UK.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
You should not own a gun if you have trouble counting past 11.swizz-the-gamer
:lol: Nice. An irresponsible gun owner is against gun outlawing. What a shock!
swizz-the-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 swizz-the-gamer
[QUOTE="11Marcel"]

DeerhunterIA

Running didn't help all the people that have been getting stabbed in Japan lately has it?

He ran into them with a van first.
the1stfandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the1stfandb
Member since 2007 • 2397 Posts

You should not own a gun if you have trouble counting past 11.swizz-the-gamer

Good one.:|

Lots of people who own lots of guns don't rember everything off the top of their head because....most ppl don't use all their guns everyday, also some guns are more or less antiques, and lastly ppl have favorites.:)

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
The idea wouldn't be to completely ban guns, but instead to further regulate the sale of guns. So, for example, you could still own a gun so you can go to a gun club and shoot some targets, but you would have to be licensed, there would be a limit to how many guns you could own, and you would have to follow specific regulations when transporting or storing your weapons. You're right, you'll never be able to completely stop gun violence and there are legitimate reasons for owning a weapon, but gun control laws would certainly cut down on crime.
mikel222222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mikel222222
Member since 2004 • 1162 Posts
no delete function. didn't quote...read below...
tsb247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tsb247

More people die from drunk driving and cigarettes than they do from guns. I'm not against guns, but I am a supporter of strict gun control.Boba_Fett_3710

You just said the magic word, control.

I suppose I should've left the topic title a little more open... so as to incite more debate... Oh well. :roll:

mikel222222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mikel222222
Member since 2004 • 1162 Posts

[QUOTE="swizz-the-gamer"]You should not own a gun if you have trouble counting past 11.the1stfandb

Lots of people who own lots of guns don't rember everything off the top of their head because....most ppl don't use all their guns everyday, also some guns are more or less antiques, and lastly ppl have favorites.:)

What if one got stolen?! you wouldn't even know and couldn't report it!

not very safe...

tsb247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tsb247

[QUOTE="swizz-the-gamer"]You should not own a gun if you have trouble counting past 11.the1stfandb

Most of what I own are indeed antiques, and I do have favorites, so I don't always remember how many I own (mostly because they are all locked up and I only pay attention to one or two at a time) My problem is that even though most are antiquated, if some sort of 'assault weapons' ban were to take effect, they would still be deemed illegal. :(

My point, I suppose, is that even an AR15 is not neccessarily a gateway to crime, but rather something that's fun to shoot targets with and should not be taken away. I am also strictly against limiting how many guns one can own. How does owning more than two or three make them any better or worse?

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Boba_Fett_3710

[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"]More people die from drunk driving and cigarettes than they do from guns. I'm not against guns, but I am a supporter of strict gun control.tsb247

I suppose I should've left the topic title a little more open... so as to incite more debate... Oh well. :roll:

The problem is, guns are accessable to nearly anyone. It's easier to get a gun in America than it is to get a car.

Background checks should be much more thorough.

the1stfandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the1stfandb
[QUOTE="the1stfandb"]

[QUOTE="swizz-the-gamer"]You should not own a gun if you have trouble counting past 11.mikel222222

What if one got stolen?! you wouldn't even know and couldn't report it!

not very safe...

Notice how I said "off the top of their head"

shyskillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shyskillz
Member since 2006 • 4197 Posts

guns were made from evil thoughts, tho shall not kill. what else were they made for?

with that said ....i think gun control should start with making the ammo very expensive (hundreds or maybe thousand of dollars). ppl will think twice before wasting shots, and the rate of innocent bystanders will decrease too.

swizz-the-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 swizz-the-gamer
In England gun controls are very strict. You can own a hunting rifle with a license, no one complains. I'm happy not to live in a country where every homeowner is so paranoid they feel the need to own round about 11 guns.
tsb247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tsb247

[QUOTE="swizz-the-gamer"]You should not own a gun if you have trouble counting past 11.DeeJayInphinity
:lol: Nice. An irresponsible gun owner is against gun outlawing. What a shock!

Who's irresponsible? Every one of them is in a safe and has either a trigger or cable lock. The safe is bolted to a wall and weighs about half a ton. So I don't remember how many I have... I know where they all are at this very moment. Hell, I could go count them right now if you would like...

Bloodaxe726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bloodaxe726
Member since 2007 • 7903 Posts

guns were made from evil thoughts, tho shall not kill. what else were they made for?

with that said ....i think gun control should start with making the ammo very expensive (hundreds or maybe thousand of dollars). ppl will think twice before wasting shots, and the rate of innocent bystanders will decrease too.

shyskillz

That's just stupid, if you make ammo high priced than criminals will just steal it, thus you did nothing for crime, only something that makes the common man more vulnerable

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 effthat

Oh, I'm european by the way, so we probably see things completely different. I'm just used to the illegality of guns.

11Marcel

"A gun is a means to an end" is a weaksauce arguement. People that want to take a life need nothing more than their own life to do it.

"Guns were created for killing" is another weaksauce arguement. Hunting has gotten us to this point and people don't realize how much of it is still used to suppliment the food stores of Americans. Guns act equally as a deterent as a tool for killing. In fact the noise factor in a firearm makes it the last weapon a real killer would use.

"Criminals use guns" is yet another weaksauce arguement. Making guns illegal doesn't stop someone who is going to break the law anyway.

there is no act of violence that restricted gun availability would stop. In fact, it's quite possible that the exact opposite would happen.

Taking away the ability for citizens to protect themselves is directly opposite of the beliefs that Maerica was founded on.

RiSkyBiZ-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 RiSkyBiZ-13
Member since 2007 • 1448 Posts
Rifles and shotguns should be fine, considering they're primarily used for hunting. I don't agree with people owning more than 1 rifle or 1 shotgun, though. I do believe handguns should be banned. They are made for one sole purpose- anti personell. They're made to kill people, nothing else.
the1stfandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the1stfandb

shyskillz

That would just kill off recreational gun users.

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Boba_Fett_3710

Rifles and shotguns should be fine, considering they're primarily used for hunting. I don't agree with people owning more than 1 rifle or 1 shotgun, though. I do believe handguns should be banned. They are made for one sole purpose- anti personell. They're made to kill people, nothing else. RiSkyBiZ-13

That's a good outlook. Personally, I think if everyone knew how to fight, we wouldn't need weapons. Only weaklings use weapons.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Oriental_Jams
Member since 2008 • 1610 Posts

Rifles and shotguns should be fine, considering they're primarily used for hunting. I don't agree with people owning more than 1 rifle or 1 shotgun, though. I do believe handguns should be banned. They are made for one sole purpose- anti personell. They're made to kill people, nothing else. RiSkyBiZ-13

Throw in automatic weapons there and I'd agree.

RiSkyBiZ-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RiSkyBiZ-13

[QUOTE="RiSkyBiZ-13"]Rifles and shotguns should be fine, considering they're primarily used for hunting. I don't agree with people owning more than 1 rifle or 1 shotgun, though. I do believe handguns should be banned. They are made for one sole purpose- anti personell. They're made to kill people, nothing else. Oriental_Jams

Automatic weapons are already illegal, as they should be.

tsb247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tsb247

While I don't particularly agree with your stance, you are right about handguns. They are solely intended for killing people. However, if you take them away from the good people (those who have no reason, motive, or intent to ever commit a crime), wouldn't you be giving the people who intend to harm others more of an advantage?

shyskillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shyskillz
[QUOTE="shyskillz"]

Bloodaxe726

That's just stupid, if you make ammo high priced than criminals will just steal it, thus you did nothing for crime, only something that makes the common man more vulnerable

why do you assume they will just steal it. how? from who, the ppl with guns? if they can't afford it they can't get it. and if they steal then that increases their chances of getting jailed or killed. one things for sure it will cut crime down and that's not stupid.

the only backlash i see coming from this is bootlegging bullets....but i don't see that as being a safe practice.

swizz-the-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 swizz-the-gamer

[QUOTE="RiSkyBiZ-13"]Rifles and shotguns should be fine, considering they're primarily used for hunting. I don't agree with people owning more than 1 rifle or 1 shotgun, though. I do believe handguns should be banned. They are made for one sole purpose- anti personell. They're made to kill people, nothing else. Boba_Fett_3710

That's a good outlook. Personally, I think if everyone knew how to fight, we wouldn't need weapons. Only weaklings use weapons.

Or you could just stop being paranoid and realise your more likely to be hit by a car then be attacked by hordes and hordes of burglars who could only be defeated with your collection of machine guns. (not talking directly to you)
tsb247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tsb247
[QUOTE="Oriental_Jams"]

[QUOTE="RiSkyBiZ-13"]Rifles and shotguns should be fine, considering they're primarily used for hunting. I don't agree with people owning more than 1 rifle or 1 shotgun, though. I do believe handguns should be banned. They are made for one sole purpose- anti personell. They're made to kill people, nothing else. RiSkyBiZ-13

Nope. Automatic weapons are COMPLETELY legal in quite a few states. I know they are for sure in Texas, Nevada, Missouri, and Texas. I know that in Kansas anyway, you need to go through a LOT of paperwork, pay a hefty liscence fee, undergo 3 background checks, and get written permission from the local sheriff before owning an automatic (class 3) firearm.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
As long as u aint shooting me...you can own a gun :P
the1stfandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the1stfandb

And yet hand guns are harder to use, most are not nearly as effective, and cause accidents. But i'll buy one for self-defence ;)

I don't think owning alot of guns should be illegal lots because of ppl keeps guns for friends and family members. Handguns on the other hand should be hard to legally uptain, target practice is the only thing they are useful for to a civilian. IMO

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Oriental_Jams
Member since 2008 • 1610 Posts
[QUOTE="Oriental_Jams"]

[QUOTE="RiSkyBiZ-13"]Rifles and shotguns should be fine, considering they're primarily used for hunting. I don't agree with people owning more than 1 rifle or 1 shotgun, though. I do believe handguns should be banned. They are made for one sole purpose- anti personell. They're made to kill people, nothing else. RiSkyBiZ-13

You sure? Must have missed that one.

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 effthat

In England gun controls are very strict. You can own a hunting rifle with a license, no one complains. I'm happy not to live in a country where every homeowner is so paranoid they feel the need to own round about 11 guns.swizz-the-gamer

Please stop with the Redneck stereotyping. In Bosnia, there are 13 years old strolling down the street with automatic assault rifles. How are we the country that is branded as wielding firearms at all times?

It's ignorant. There are bigger issues to deal with than worrying about the fact that a citizen could own a gun.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="tsb247"]

[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"]More people die from drunk driving and cigarettes than they do from guns. I'm not against guns, but I am a supporter of strict gun control.Boba_Fett_3710

The problem is, guns are accessable to nearly anyone. It's easier to get a gun in America than it is to get a car.

I agree with you. ppl that are mentally unstable and have psychiatric evacuations stating so have gotten and used guns to kill innocent ppl. I don't see how any sane person would be against more thorough checks.
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
If a nations citizens need to arm themselves with automatic weapons because of high crime rates, a gun ban will just scratch the surface of the real domestic issues.
shyskillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 shyskillz

[QUOTE="RiSkyBiZ-13"]Rifles and shotguns should be fine, considering they're primarily used for hunting. I don't agree with people owning more than 1 rifle or 1 shotgun, though. I do believe handguns should be banned. They are made for one sole purpose- anti personell. They're made to kill people, nothing else. Boba_Fett_3710

agree, so many ppl act brave when they have one on them. take it away and they are kitty kats (just like police men). but my knuckle game is tight so i have no worries.

RiSkyBiZ-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RiSkyBiZ-13
[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"]

[QUOTE="RiSkyBiZ-13"]Rifles and shotguns should be fine, considering they're primarily used for hunting. I don't agree with people owning more than 1 rifle or 1 shotgun, though. I do believe handguns should be banned. They are made for one sole purpose- anti personell. They're made to kill people, nothing else. swizz-the-gamer

Or you could just stop being paranoid and realise your more likely to be hit by a car then be attacked by hordes and hordes of burglars who could only be defeated with your collection of machine guns. (not talking directly to you)

I'm not paranoid, I'm disgusted with our homicide rates. The reason we have so many homicides is because everyone has a gun. Plain and simple.

swizz-the-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 swizz-the-gamer

[QUOTE="swizz-the-gamer"]In England gun controls are very strict. You can own a hunting rifle with a license, no one complains. I'm happy not to live in a country where every homeowner is so paranoid they feel the need to own round about 11 guns.effthat

Please stop with the Redneck stereotyping. In Bosnia, there are 13 years old strolling down the street with automatic assault rifles. How are we the country that is branded as wielding firearms at all times?

It's ignorant. There are bigger issues to deal with than worrying about the fact that a citizen could own a gun.

Stereotyping? It seems that everyone in this thread claims it's worth having them readily available for protection. Oh and shooting bits of paper.
tsb247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tsb247

In England gun controls are very strict. You can own a hunting rifle with a license, no one complains. I'm happy not to live in a country where every homeowner is so paranoid they feel the need to own round about 11 guns.swizz-the-gamer

You must also keep in mind that England is much smaller than the U.S. with a MUCH higher population density. I can see how those restrictions would maker sense there, but in the U.S., what's the point? There are more people spread out over a larger area.

Who's being paranoid? I shoot for sport and for fun. It's a recreational thing I do with my friends. Sure, I could defend my home against an intruder if need be, but the liklihood of that ever being needed is very small. I own the firearms I do for mostly historical reasons. They are almost all WWII relics that I maintain and shoot because it satisfies my love for a part of history. How is that such a bad thing. Sure, I own a few more modern firearms, but how's that such a terrible thing?

the1stfandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 the1stfandb

If a nations citizens need to arm themselves with automatic weapons because of high crime rates, a gun ban will just scratch the surface of the real domestic issues.jointed

I do not know a single person who legally bought an automatic for self-defence. Ppl who have them are usually the most responsible.

RiSkyBiZ-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RiSkyBiZ-13

[QUOTE="swizz-the-gamer"]In England gun controls are very strict. You can own a hunting rifle with a license, no one complains. I'm happy not to live in a country where every homeowner is so paranoid they feel the need to own round about 11 guns.tsb247

You must also keep in mind that England is much smaller than the U.S. with a MUCH higher population density. I can see how those restrictions would maker sense there, but in the U.S., what's the point? There are more people spread out over a larger area.

Who's being paranoid? I shoot for sport and for fun. It's a recreational thing I do with my friends. Sure, I could defend my home against an intruder if need be, but the liklihood of that ever being needed is very small. I own the firearms I do for mostly historical reasons. They are almost all WWII relics that I maintain and shoot because it satisfies my love for a part of history. How is that such a bad thing. Sure, I own a few more modern firearms, but how's that such a terrible thing?

Ever been to a city, or have you always been a country boy?

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 effthat
[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"][QUOTE="tsb247"]

[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"]More people die from drunk driving and cigarettes than they do from guns. I'm not against guns, but I am a supporter of strict gun control.Ontain

I agree with you. ppl that are mentally unstable and have psychiatric evacuations stating so have gotten and used guns to kill innocent ppl. I don't see how any sane person would be against more thorough checks.

So the real issue isn't the guns. It's the method of procurement. Guns are an innocent bystander.

This may cut down slightly, but someone who is mentally unstable would and could commit murder regardless of the weapon. Once we lower gun usage, we'll have to tighten restrictions on barbed wire, kitchen knives, pillows, etc.

The only thing you need to take someones life is a pulse. How do we restrict pulses? Euthanise the mentally unstable? Good luck approaching that one...

viralhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 viralhunter
Member since 2006 • 396 Posts
I don't understand why the U.S. doesn't just allow for shotguns and single shot rifles as the only legal use of firearms. In that case you could easily defend your home and, with maybe a trechcoat or something, out in public. But since that would drastically reduce the use of semi-automatic weapons or any type of concealed pistol, you would deal with less criminal acts with these harder to counteract weapons. Personally I think this is the best of both worlds as it provides more than adequate protection while providing much harder acess to high-risk weaponry.
tsb247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tsb247
[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"]

[QUOTE="RiSkyBiZ-13"]Rifles and shotguns should be fine, considering they're primarily used for hunting. I don't agree with people owning more than 1 rifle or 1 shotgun, though. I do believe handguns should be banned. They are made for one sole purpose- anti personell. They're made to kill people, nothing else. shyskillz

agree, so many ppl act brave when they have one on them. take it away and they are kitty kats (just like police men). but my knuckle game is tight so i have no worries.

You're proving my point about how we should own guns by voicing that sort of observation about police.

swizz-the-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 swizz-the-gamer

[QUOTE="swizz-the-gamer"]In England gun controls are very strict. You can own a hunting rifle with a license, no one complains. I'm happy not to live in a country where every homeowner is so paranoid they feel the need to own round about 11 guns.tsb247

Oh my bad. I forgot there are no cities in America.
RiSkyBiZ-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RiSkyBiZ-13

I don't understand why the U.S. doesn't just allow for shotguns and single shot rifles as the only legal use of firearms. In that case you could easily defend your home and, with maybe a trechcoat or something, out in public. But since that would drastically reduce the use of semi-automatic weapons or any type of concealed pistol, you would deal with less criminal acts with these harder to counteract weapons. Personally I think this is the best of both worlds as it provides more than adequate protection while providing much harder acess to high-risk weaponry.viralhunter

I completely agree you. Unfortunately, as you can see in this thread, the majority of us Americans are gun nuts. People freak out and start yelling gibberish about the constitution and the 2nd ammendment, while in the mean time our homicide rates continue to rise. Our country will never be safe with these idiots running the show. Oh well.