Automatic, or manual ? How to drive vid ..

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

So what do you drive, automatic or stick shift ? This video is from my Mustang site, and this guy is giving us instructions on how to drive the stick shift. What do you think ? Just a funny below. ..

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I do that when I'm not high (never been high lol)

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LexLas

@thehig1 said:

I do that when I'm not high (never been high lol)

I just thought your name meant you were a pilot or something in the sky high work profession, lol ..

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thehig1

@LexLas: it's the hig1 my surname is Higgins.

I wish it was exciting like that though lol

I wanted thehig as my username but GameSpot said there already was a user called that, obviously there isn't.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LexLas

@thehig1 said:

@LexLas: it's the hig1 my surname is Higgins.

I wish it was exciting like that though lol

I wanted thehig as my username but GameSpot said there already was a user called that, obviously there isn't.

I see, that makes sense. I was just telling my 10 year old yesterday he should become a pilot. I told him he could fly all over the world up in the sky flying for an airline. Meet all kinds of woman all around the world, then my wife hit me so i stopped, lol .. That would be exciting. I need to see that DiCaprio movie now, where he plays a pilot, but isn't really one in the movie.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thehig1

@LexLas: yeah catch if you can, one of my favorite movies that.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

I know how to drive a manual, I just never have lol

All the cars I've owned have been hand me downs or purchased from my family and they all drive automatics. My dad was born in 1940 so he was part of the whole "car culture" of America, so he drove stick (manual) for decades before he finally gave in and said it's pointless.

There are benefits to manual, especially if you have a performance vehicle, but for general A to B nothing beats an automatic. Especially in city driving.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

I drive both but I prefer my Cars to be automatics so I won't have to switch the Clutch ever time I stop at the red lights.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Stick shift.

Most cars in Europe use a stick shift so not knowing how to use it does limit your choice in cars here. Granted there are more automatics making their way over now and likely more in the future, it's still a preference of mine to use Stick shift.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3867 Posts

I am driving an automatic right now. I can drive a stick, I really had a hard driving a stick when I was in England as in America the stick is on your right side and in England it is on the left side.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And I only use the clutch for stopping (full stop, not slowing down) and starting.

dropthepj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dropthepj
Member since 2016 • 41 Posts

Manual. I ordered a short shifter for my car today. :D

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Those are five really dumb and poorly researched reasons for suggesting people drive standard transmission cars coming from a kid who has probably not been alive for as long as I have been driving standard transmission cars. Bragging rights? Seriously? "I believe they are less expensive" without providing any data to support that claim? Well, so long as he believes it...

-Byshop

DRUNKEN_ELVIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DRUNKEN_ELVIS
Member since 2016 • 19 Posts

Manual or nothing.

Unless, I not in Porcshe GT3 tip tropic money just yet.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LexLas

@JimB said:

I am driving an automatic right now. I can drive a stick, I really had a hard driving a stick when I was in England as in America the stick is on your right side and in England it is on the left side.

Stick shift on the left ? Wow, that would be super hard, i just couldn't cope with that.

@foxhound_fox - Dude, what is that ? Semi maybe ? What the ?

@Byshop - Lol .. He is young. I guess he is just super thrilled about being able to learn the stick shift process.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Can drive both, but prefer DCT. Actually learned how to drive stick in Baghdad, although I had a pretty good idea of how manual trans work from riding motorcycles.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LexLas

@bmanva said:

Can drive both, but prefer DCT. Actually learned how to drive stick in Baghdad, although I had a pretty good idea of how manual trans work from riding motorcycles.

Motorcycle learning is still on my to do list. But one can get so good that just listening to where your gear is, you know when its time to shift.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I mostly drive automatics now. But, my first few cars were manual transmission. I first got my permit on a Monday. Monday evening, my uncle gave me about 15 minutes on how to brake, use the clutch, and how to row the gears. The rest of the week was spent getting used to manual transmission in different road scenarios. I took my driving test that Friday and passed.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@LexLas said:
@bmanva said:

Motorcycle learning is still on my to do list. But one can get so good that just listening to where your gear is, you know when its time to shift.

It's easier than stick, since trans is sequential, goes 1 n 2 3 4 5 6. The only thing you'd have to watch out for is the neutral between first and second gear. It's easy to hit it accidentally if you don't put some force behind shifting.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

I've never driven manual but my car has that weird manual setting so it can shift without a clutch basically, I just keep it in auto though cause it's weird.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 foxhound_fox

@LexLas said:

Eaton Fuller 18-speed. Two reverse gears and 18 forward gears. Unsynchronized manual gearbox. Handles up to 2050 ft.lbs of torque.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I like automatics because driving for me isn't a pleasure it's a chore.

TheManofPears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheManofPears
Member since 2016 • 284 Posts

As mentioned above, manual transmission is very popular in Europe, so learning only how to drive an Automatic is limiting yourself

I'm currently learning to drive myself.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LexLas

@foxhound_fox said:
@LexLas said:

Eaton Fuller 18-speed. Two reverse gears and 18 forward gears. Unsynchronized manual gearbox. Handles up to 2050 ft.lbs of torque.

Wow, you drive Optimus Prime ! Luv them big rigs.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#27  Edited By Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

I only drive manual, automatic is nice and all but I prefer precise control over comfort.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

To me it´s pretty much the exact same thing, my Ram Charger SUV is automatic, my Chevy Tornado pick up is manual, I just change from one to another even though I use the Tornado a lot more and as of lately, I rather take the bus from home to work and viceversa.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Almost 55 years old, always used stick shift. Next car may be first automatic.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

I like automatics because driving for me isn't a pleasure it's a chore.

Driving cars are only pleasurable when you take them to their limits. I don't care what car it is. There's no pleasure driving them when I'm just putt-putting around town.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Driving cars are only pleasurable when you take them to their limits. I don't care what car it is. There's no pleasure driving them when I'm just putt-putting around town.

See, for such thrills I just fly. Once you clear controlled airspace and get to F or G, you can fly pretty much as you want.

Not that I fly recklessly or anything ( I rent the craft, so...), but I'm fond of banking over into a dive. :-)

Cars are just boring. Unless you're off-roading or something you're pretty much on-rails.

ShyGuy0504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ShyGuy0504
Member since 2009 • 1138 Posts

Automatic.

I don't like to drive.

The only place I drive to is work which is only about a 10 minute drive thankfully.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@Byshop said:

Those are five really dumb and poorly researched reasons for suggesting people drive standard transmission cars coming from a kid who has probably not been alive for as long as I have been driving standard transmission cars. Bragging rights? Seriously? "I believe they are less expensive" without providing any data to support that claim? Well, so long as he believes it...

-Byshop

They are less expensive. Automatic cars usually go for 1 to 2 thousands of euros extras compared to the same model with the same horsepower but manual transmission.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 foxhound_fox

@LexLas said:

Wow, you drive Optimus Prime ! Luv them big rigs.

Optimus Prime has been a Western Star 5700XE longer than a Pete 379. But I'll take it. :P

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Byshop  Moderator

@N30F3N1X said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

They are less expensive. Automatic cars usually go for 1 to 2 thousands of euros extras compared to the same model with the same horsepower but manual transmission.

That's probably what he was thinking but it's an oversimplification. Cost of car ownership is far more than just the initial price, but even if it were it's not like there's even a standard option available for every model car. Standards are slowly being phased out, so if you have a standard option that's great but if you don't have one you may have to get a more expensive (i.e. sport) car to get it (or a tiny little economy box if that's what you want to drive).

Standards and modern automatics get very comparable fuel economy (if you pay close attention to your shifting). CVT cars get better mileage than either in a lot of cases. Yes, you can run your car in 5th gear at 30MPH like he says in the video but good luck on maintenance as short shifting all the time causes other problems so it's not really worth it (there's a reason automatics don't do this, well, automatically). If you don't keep the pedal to the floor all the time, automatics go out of their way to try to be as fuel efficient as possible and with modern cars they have more gears to work with (seven versus five). Plus the most fuel efficient cars (hybrids, eletrics) don't come in standard transmission models at all.

-Byshop

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 foxhound_fox

@Byshop said:
Plus the most fuel efficient cars (hybrids, eletrics) don't come in standard transmission models at all.

Honda CR-Z is a manual hybrid.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I learned how to drive using a car with stick shift but I prefer automatic because of the stop and go traffic and shifting elevation & altitude in this state.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Took a lot of self nagging for me to get accustomed to driving a manual. Sport Injected civic manual atm. I think I want a convertible of some sort next. Need a new job to pay this though.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Byshop  Moderator

@foxhound_fox said:
@Byshop said:
Plus the most fuel efficient cars (hybrids, eletrics) don't come in standard transmission models at all.

Honda CR-Z is a manual hybrid.

Wow, I stand corrected, but to be totally fair it looks like the CVT version of the same car gets better mileage.

-Byshop

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Treflis said:

Stick shift.

Most cars in Europe use a stick shift so not knowing how to use it does limit your choice in cars here. Granted there are more automatics making their way over now and likely more in the future, it's still a preference of mine to use Stick shift.

I prefer stick shift.... But driving home from work during rush hour... Automatic all the way. Otherwise it will be about 100-150 hill starts the few miles I have to drive.