Atheists forcing their views

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Harkat95
Member since 2009 • 1139 Posts

Hello OT,

Recently, I read an entry in the paper where some teenager was complaining that non-religious people at her school were being disrespectful of her christian views, and it made me want to ask this question:

Do you feel like atheists/agnostics are being too vocal, insensitive or disrespectful, are trying to force their opinions of everybody, or are trying to influence the state too much?

I appreciate any answers, and have a good day!

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

In this country, people are not allowed to marry because their orientation is against Christian beliefs... I think the Christians are just as vocal... and they are taking rights away....

Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts
For every atheist trying to force his or her views, there is someone of a different religion doing the same thing. There isn't one group who does it more than the other.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I'm an atheist but I cringe a little bit whenever other atheists try to belittle religions for no reason. It makes them seem immature.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

We are no more vocal than any christian.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts
[QUOTE="Harkat95"]

Hello OT,

Recently, I read an entry in the paper where some teenager was complaining that non-religious people at her school were being disrespectful of her christian views, and it made me want to ask this question:

Do you feel like atheists/agnostics are being too vocal, insensitive or disrespectful, are trying to force their opinions of everybody, or are trying to influence the state too much?

I appreciate any answers, and have a good day!

Maybe she should read history, like when Christians forced their beliefs on Roman, Greek, Egyptian, and German Polytheists. Ironic they are complaing eh?
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
I don't think atheists, including myself, have been any more vocal or forceful than most religions about what we do and do not believe. There is time and place for such things, for example when it comes to gay marriage I think atheists should be vocal about how religion has played a hand in that.
Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

I think if you take ANY group, you're going to find some a-holes in there who are disrespectful of others and are just all around loudmouths. I know some athiests who obviously don't share my religous views, but we have nice and interesting discussions and debates. Then there are a few athiests I know that, as soon as the topic of religion comes up, immediately start to hurl insults at me. So, there's good and bad in all I think.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

In this country, people are not allowed to marry because their orientation is against Christian beliefs... I think the Christians are just as vocal... and they are taking rights away....

heysharpshooter

Some Christians may be as vocal but hardcore atheists are some of the most angry and aggressively abrasive people I've ever come across. And no I'm not religious.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
there is a large portion of extremely loud and forceful atheists, never seen an agnostic that has had radical views or actions.
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

i've yet to see an atheist stood on a street corner clutching a copy of the god delusion and screaming there is no god.

where as EVERY weekend some **** stands on our high street clutching his bible, screaming at the sinners walking by 'if you don't give your self to jesus you will burn in hell for eternity'.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I think if you take ANY group, you're going to find some a-holes in there who are disrespectful of others and are just all around loudmouths.

YellowOneKinobi

Yeah, basically. I think there are more loudmouth atheists on this forum than in the general public, at least where I live.

heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 heysharpshooter

[QUOTE="heysharpshooter"]

Pirate700

Some Christians may be as vocal but hardcore atheists are some of the most angry and aggressively abrasive people I've ever come across. And no I'm not religious.

But they don't take rights from tax paying americans because of their (non)beliefs... yet in the US, Christianity is becoming increasinly legislated...

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 YellowOneKinobi
[QUOTE="dog_dirt"]

i've yet to see an atheist stood on a street corner clutching a copy of the god delusion and screaming there is no god.

where as EVERY weekend some **** stands on our high street clutching his bible, screaming at the sinners walking by 'if you don't give your self to jesus you will burn in hell for eternity'.

Here in NY I've seen some pretty offensive billboards put up by athiest groups.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

heysharpshooter

But they don't take rights from tax paying americans because of their (non)beliefs... yet in the US, Christianity is becoming increasinly legislated...

You make it sound like one isue from a some of a demographic somehow makes them worse people... And someone's religion doesn't take away rights. People do.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
Everyone loves pretending to be the victim.
Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Harkat95
[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"][QUOTE="dog_dirt"]

Such as...?
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Palantas

heysharpshooter

Obviously they don't view what they're taking away from gays as being a right. I assume that's what you're referencing. For all the intellectual openness that some atheists are proporting to espouse (not saying you are), they show a remarkable inability to consider any problem from any viewpoint that is not identical to their own.

And how is Christianity becoming increasingly legislated? Obviously gays weren't getting married 50 years ago, so there must be something else you're thinking of here.

EDIT: Fixing my spaces. F*** your post editor, GameSpot.

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 YellowOneKinobi
[QUOTE="Harkat95"][QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"][QUOTE="dog_dirt"]

Such as...?

Here was last years. http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/for-the-holidays-an-atheism-billboard/
Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Harkat95
[QUOTE="Harkat95"][QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"] Here in NY I've seen some pretty offensive billboards put up by athiest groups.YellowOneKinobi
Such as...?

Here was last years. http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/for-the-holidays-an-atheism-billboard/

I struggle to understand how that is offensive. All it's doing is claiming certain biblical stories never happened, it's not insulting anyone personally.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Yeah, basically. I think there are more loudmouth atheists on this forum than in the general public, at least where I live.Palantas
People are generally more vocal about their views on the internet, I know that is the case with as I still act and tell other's that I'm a Christian in public.
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dog_dirt
[QUOTE="Harkat95"][QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"] Here in NY I've seen some pretty offensive billboards put up by athiest groups.YellowOneKinobi
Such as...?

no threat of eternal misery and torture on that billboard though i see.
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 heysharpshooter

Palantas

Obviously they don't view what they're taking away from gays as being a right. I assume that's what you'rere ferencing. For all the intellectual openness that some atheists are proporting to espouse (not saying you are), they show a remarkable inability to consider any problem from any viewpoint that is not identical to their own.

And how is Christianity becoming increasingly legislated? Obviously gays weren't getting married 50 years ago, so there must be something else you're thinking of here.

EDIT: Fixing my spaces. F*** your post editor, GameSpot.

In some states, creationism is being legislated into science ****s...

Abortion and divorce laws are being altered to specific, religious guidelines...

Several states have tried to ban specific sexual acts because they are seen as vile in the Bible(and at certain points, they have succeeded)...

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Brainkiller05
Such as...?

The only people who would be offended by that would be people who are too scared to admit their God isn't real. If you truly 100% believed god was real then it wouldn't offend you when someone says he doesn't. If I told you your father doesn't exist you wouldn't be offended, you'd just laugh at me because you know for a fact your father exists.
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 YellowOneKinobi
[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"][QUOTE="Harkat95"] Such as...?Brainkiller05

The only people who would be offended by that would be people who are too scared to admit their God isn't real. If you truly 100% believed god was real then it wouldn't offend you when someone says he doesn't. If I told you your father doesn't exist you wouldn't be offended, you'd just laugh at me because you know for a fact your father exists.

I should have clarified my statement a little. I should have said "a lot of people" were offended by it. I personally wasn't, and after I heard a radio interview with the head of the group that but the billboard up, I chuckled a little bit because it was so nonsensical. My point was more along the lines of, while it may not be common for people to literally stand on a street corner screaming about athiesm, there are still plenty of athiests that can't help but be "up in your face" about it. Thats all.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
There are ****s in every group but i think a lot of the religion bashing stems from misunderstanding and bad naming. Someone who dosn't take what the pope says all that seriously, is fine with gay marriage and the like and is ok with abortions at will probably shouldn't be calling themselves a catholic. TBH it would be better if people just said "i believe X" instead of "I am an x".
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Brainkiller05

[QUOTE="Brainkiller05"][QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"] Here was last years. http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/for-the-holidays-an-atheism-billboard/ YellowOneKinobi

I should have clarified my statement a little. I should have said "a lot of people" were offended by it. I personally wasn't, and after I heard a radio interview with the head of the group that but the billboard up, I chuckled a little bit because it was so nonsensical. My point was more along the lines of, while it may not be common for people to literally stand on a street corner screaming about athiesm, there are still plenty of athiests that can't help but be "up in your face" about it. Thats all.

Maybe I'm biased but It SEEMS that religious people are more in your face, that link you just gave was the most extreme billboard atheism I've ever seen, the advertisements are usually more... well purposely trying not to offend, some ads in london said "God probably doesn't exist, so stop worrying and live your life".

Which is quite tame compared to the crazy people you see screaming down megaphones claiming everyone is going to burn alive if they don't believe him.

But again, I'm an atheist and am probably a little biased. And yeah you're right, there are crazy people in both camps (atheism and theism)

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SaintLeonidas

Pirate700

I don't think anyone is more angry and aggressive as the West Baptist Church. No matter how vocal anyone may think some atheists may be, not even the most extreme or obnoxious of those atheists will be as bad or aggressive as the extremes in religions such as Christianity and Islam.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

SaintLeonidas

I don't think anyone is more angry and aggressive as the West Baptist Church. No matter how vocal anyone may think some atheists may be, not even the most extreme or obnoxious of those atheists will be as bad or aggressive as the extremes in religions such as Christianity and Islam.

You're talking about a small fringe group and yes, there are atheists out there (in a much larger number) who are more aggressive and annoying.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SaintLeonidas

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Some Christians may be as vocal but hardcore atheists are some of the most angry and aggressively abrasive people I've ever come across. And no I'm not religious.

Pirate700

You're talking about a small fringe group and yes, there are atheists out there (in a much larger number) who are more aggressive and annoying.

There are more atheists out there picketing funerals, and calling for people to be killed, or actually killing people ie. suicide bombers than those from religious groups doing such things?...what news papers have you been reading?
Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Harkat95

Pirate700

Again, such as...?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] I don't think anyone is more angry and aggressive as the West Baptist Church. No matter how vocal anyone may think some atheists may be, not even the most extreme or obnoxious of those atheists will be as bad or aggressive as the extremes in religions such as Christianity and Islam. SaintLeonidas

There are more atheists out there picketing funerals, and calling for people to be killed, or actually killing people ie. suicide bombers than those from religious groups doing such things?...what news papers have you been reading?

Care to point out where I said there are more atheists doing just that?

Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Harkat95

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]You're talking about a small fringe group and yes, there are atheists out there (in a much larger number) who are more aggressive and annoying.

Pirate700

I think his point was that what radical religious groups do is far worse than what "radical" atheists do.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SaintLeonidas

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]You're talking about a small fringe group and yes, there are atheists out there (in a much larger number) who are more aggressive and annoying.

Pirate700

...you clearly said that I was only talking about a smaller group of people (those people being West Baptist Church, suicide bombers, etc.), and then followed up by saying "and yes, there are atheists out there (in a much larger number) who are more aggressive and annoying."
raiden509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 raiden509
Member since 2006 • 3181 Posts
No i don't , all my life i've had Christians telling me that i'm going to spend a eternity in their hell if i don't look up to their god . So as long as they're vocal ,i'm going to be vocal .
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Palantas

In some states, creationism is being legislated into science ****s...

Abortion and divorce laws are being altered to specific, religious guidelines...

Several states have tried to ban specific sexual acts because they are seen as vile in the Bible(and at certain points, they have succeeded)...

heysharpshooter

What kinda timeframe are you talking about when you say Christianity is becoming increasingly legislated? Since when? All this stuff you're mentioning used to be simply the way things were.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] There are more atheists out there picketing funerals, and calling for people to be killed, or actually killing people ie. suicide bombers than those from religious groups doing such things?...what news papers have you been reading?SaintLeonidas

...you clearly said that I was only talking about a smaller group of people (those people being West Baptist Church, suicide bombers, etc.), and then followed up by saying "and yes, there are atheists out there (in a much larger number) who are more aggressive and annoying."

Again, care to point out where I said atheists are doing what you said in larger numbers?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SaintLeonidas

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Care to point out where I said there are more atheists doing just that?

Pirate700

Again, care to point out where I said atheists are doing what you said in larger numbers?

I'm not saying you said that they are doing those things, I'm saying that I pointed out that radical religious groups picket funerals and kill civilians, and then you turned around and said they were only a small minority and that even still atheists are more aggressive and angry. Are you telling me that you think that a small group of people killing the innocent is not as bad as a large group of people being angry/opinionated and putting up "offensive" billboards?
Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Harkat95

First, SaintLeonidas says:

[No matter how vocal anyone may think some atheists may be, not even the most extreme or obnoxious of those atheists will be as bad or aggressive as the extremes in religions such as Christianity and Islam. SaintLeonidas
Then, Pirate700 says:

Pirate700

When you say "there are atheists out there (in a much larger number) who are more aggressive and annoying.", you are, according to grammatical rules, saying that there are atheists who are more aggressive than the groups he referred to, namely The Westboro Baptist Church, and the Islamic and Christian extremist groups such as Al-Quaeda and IRA.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
From what I've seen, on and offline, Atheists are getting worst. Very, very disrespectful when talking about other religions. Yes, Christians have been vocal for some time now with their words, other religions too, but Atheists are now going to the 10th degree trying to belittle everyone in their path. At least with some religions, they at least listen and not poke fun when stating their case (excluding that one annoying church thats always in the news).
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dog_dirt
From what I've seen, on and offline, Atheists are getting worst. Very, very disrespectful when talking about other religions. Yes, Christians have been vocal for some time now with their words, other religions too, but Atheists are now going to the 10th degree trying to belittle everyone in their path. At least with some religions, they at least listen and not poke fun when stating their case (excluding that one annoying church thats always in the news). Fuhgeddabouditt
that's because as an atheist i don't respect religion. i think its utter nonsense. if that offends believer then that's there problem.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Pirate700

Do you have any evidence to back up this claim?

EDIT: I find it mystifying that yourself and others in this thread are actually arguing which group is worse.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#43 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
Loudmouths exist regardless of religion...
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 YellowOneKinobi
[QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"]From what I've seen, on and offline, Atheists are getting worst. Very, very disrespectful when talking about other religions. Yes, Christians have been vocal for some time now with their words, other religions too, but Atheists are now going to the 10th degree trying to belittle everyone in their path. At least with some religions, they at least listen and not poke fun when stating their case (excluding that one annoying church thats always in the news). dog_dirt
that's because as an atheist i don't respect religion. i think its utter nonsense. if that offends believer then that's there problem.

Is there a difference in saying, "I don't believe" than saying, "You believe so you are stupid.".......?
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
Loudmouths exist regardless of religion...spazzx625
in b4 "athiesm is not a religion/ faith/ system of belief"
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Alot of the athiests on this board are as obnoxious as the religious radicals they ridicule. I don't see either group as being that different from one another, actually.

metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts
i feel there are some atheists who are like some religious people - pretty fanatic about what they belive or not belive in and wanna make other see "the real truth" never really heard agnostics preach about what they think or not think about though - mostly only really fanatic atheists or religious people - just my experience what i run into though
cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#48 cheezisgoooood
Member since 2004 • 6130 Posts

If you don't like atheists exercising free speech, too bad. I don't care if people are offended. I'm offended by the 5 or 6 Jesus billboards I have to pass by every weekend while driving but will I ask them to stop putting them up? No, because it's their right to doso.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts

For every atheist trying to force his or her views, there is someone of a different religion doing the same thing. There isn't one group who does it more than the other.CongressManStan

Pretty much, yeah.

There is another dimension with atheism, though. If an atheist expresses his or her views, even in a very relaxed and rational setting, many religious people seem to take personal offense. This of course does not go for all religious people, but I have observed it myself. They take personal offense to the atheist's words and misconstrue the situation later as the atheist being overbearing or intolerant or something. Some people feel very attached to their religion, their beliefs, their faith, etc. and if they see it being invalidated, they might take it personally and therefore explain the situation as something that it wasn't.

There are plenty of very vocal atheists, there are plenty of atheists who are overbearing or intolerant, there are plenty of atheists who keep to themselves, and so on. That goes for people of all religions as well.

I think that in a lot of societies (especially the USA), atheists are looked down upon and treated as if they're heathens or as if they are bad people. Maybe this angers them and motivates them to speak their minds a little more. I can understand that.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
i think religious people are too sensitive which makes it that much more tempting to slam out sacriligious statements