AT&T To Acquire DirecTV For $48 Billion.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

AT&T To Acquire DirecTV For $67 Billion

Mergers and acquisition is alive and well.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

Ayn Rand would be proud.

Also this will be great for consumers am I right?

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

If this means I get AT&T in my area I will be ecstatic otherwise here comes another bill increase

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

... I never noticed that the "direct" on DirecTV isn't really "direct" but direc.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23033 Posts

I'm still stuck on the Comcast/Time Warner merger.

"The firm would dominate television and Internet service in 19 of the top 20 markets..."

"In arguing for the merger, Comcast officials have repeatedly pointed out that it does not compete with Time Warner Cable in any of the markets that they serve."

There are a number of things rotten with both this deal individually and the state of the telecommunications industry as a whole (which the AT&T merger isn't helping in the slightest).

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

AT&T should be spending money fixing their god damn internet. Seriously, I've been dealing with those fuckers for a year now, and until I started, I didn't realize that such unstable connections still existed in anything but third-world countries. I had more stable internet half a decade ago, in Alaska. There was a period earlier this year of nearly two months straight where the internet was down for "emergency maintenance" every single night, without fail, for at least 3-4 hours. So-called "emergency maintenance" was regular enough to set a clock by. I'd be playing CS, or watching something online or whatever, my connection would drop, and I'd be like, "it's 11:30 already?" It's been quite a bit better for the last couple months, but I still get blackouts that last for 15 minutes to an hour, at least once a week. So looking forward to moving at the end of this month, and going back to Comcast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

LOL bring on more monopolies!

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I wish I had 67 billion to acquire anything.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Does this mean no more "wires are ugly" and "don't sell your hair to a wig shop/show up at your own funeral disguised as a guy name Phil Shiffly/ have your dad get punched over a can of soup" commercial?

I got Comcast for cable anyway. I have AT&T for Internet, Cell phone and regular phone, though probably not for long: AT&T is selling SNET to Frontier Communications company for $2 billion.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#10 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@the_bi99man: This is why that Merger happened, so they can offer more broadband in more areas. They knew if they just got DirecTV then they would still lose subscribers out to Netflix. Therefor the want to integrate DirecTV mobile with their plans.

Their plan is to integrate DirecTV, a reliable broadband and your phone bundled in one. Some ISPs should be worried IMO. They will be undercut if AT&T can offer broadband with consistent speeds in vast areas.

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By angeldeb82  Online
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts

That's not "good news"! That's even worse news, as the merger will stifle internet growth more and more! We have to stop it now and save the Internet!

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/att-directv-deal-consumers-union-public-knowledge/

http://www.freepress.net/blog/2014/05/27/merger-mania-not-so-fast

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

... I never noticed that the "direct" on DirecTV isn't really "direct" but direc.

Have you ever noticed the arrow in the FedEX logo? People get paid millions to come up with this stuff.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

@4myAmuzumament said:

Have you ever noticed the arrow in the FedEX logo? People get paid millions to come up with this stuff.

No, I didn't. :o

I should start paying more attention to this stuff for my studies! I hope to get paid millions one day.