Arguments for The Existence of God

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sleepwalk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sleepwalk7
Member since 2013 • 113 Posts
1. Everything that exists has an explanation of its existence, either in the necessity of its own nature or in an external cause. 2. If the universe has an explanation of its existence, that explanation is God. 3. The universe exists. 4. Therefore, the universe has an explanation of its existence (from 1, 3). 5. Therefore, the explanation of the universes existence is God (from 2, 4). --- 1. Everything that begins to exist has a cause. 2. The universe began to exist. 3. Therefore, the universe has a cause. --- 1. If God does not exist, objective moral values and duties do not exist. 2. Objective moral values and duties do exist. 3. Therefore, God exists. --- 1. The fine-tuning of the universe is due to either physical necessity, chance, or design. 2. It is not due to physical necessity or chance. 3. Therefore, it is due to design. --- 1. It is possible that a maximally great being exists. 2. If it is possible that a maximally great being exists, then a maximally great being exists in some possible world. 3. If a maximally great being exists in some possible world, then it exists in every possible world. 4. If a maximally great being exists in every possible world, then it exists in the actual world. 5. If a maximally great being exists in the actual world, then a maximally great being exists. 6. Therefore, a maximally great being exists. Read more: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/the-new-atheism-and-five-arguments-for-god#ixzz2UiSrAM1C
norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

I have seen the light. Converting to Pastafarian.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

1. Everything that exists has an explanation of its existence, either in the necessity of its own nature or in an external cause. Sleepwalk7

^Doesn't understand quantum physics.

Sleepwalk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sleepwalk7

[QUOTE="Sleepwalk7"]1. Everything that exists has an explanation of its existence, either in the necessity of its own nature or in an external cause. br0kenrabbit

"I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics." - Richard Feynman Joking aside, I doubt you understand quantum mechanics. Moreover, what does quantum mechanics have to do with the premise you quoted?
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Here comes 500 serious replies to this obviously flamebait troll topic...

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts
[QUOTE="Sleepwalk7"] 2. If the universe has an explanation of its existence, that explanation is God.

and this is supposed to support the idea of existence of a deity?
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="Sleepwalk7"]1. Everything that exists has an explanation of its existence, either in the necessity of its own nature or in an external cause. Sleepwalk7

"I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics." - Richard Feynman Joking aside, I doubt you understand quantum mechanics. Moreover, what does quantum mechanics have to do with the premise you quoted?

At the quantum level, spacetime is meaningless. A particle can be here and there, and everywhere at once, all at the same time. Things can happen before whatever makes that thing happen happens (think: ripples in the pond BEFORE you throw the rock in). Particles are all the time popping into existence from nothing. Impossible things can happen, like particles moving through a barrier that they can't classically pass through. Then you have the Einstein-Rosen bridge where distance is meaningless, then there's the whole entanglement phenomena, and so on.

The quantum world knows no necessity and routinely disproves its own order.

Sleepwalk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sleepwalk7

ad1x2
This isn't a "flamebait troll topic." I provided a few good arguments for the existence of God and I'm interested in what the community here thinks of them.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

whose alt are you?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

[QUOTE="ad1x2"]

Sleepwalk7

This isn't a "flamebait troll topic."

I provided a few good arguments for the existence of God and I'm interested in what the community here thinks of them.

Posting arguments of why you believe God exists in OT falls somewhere between posting why you think weed needs to be illegal forever and posting that Justin Bieber makes better music than every rock/metal band in existance.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

go to hell

Sleepwalk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sleepwalk7

At the quantum level, spacetime is meaningless. A particle can be here and there, and everywhere at once, all at the same time. Things can happen before whatever makes that thing happen happens (think: ripples in the pond BEFORE you throw the rock in). Particles are all the time popping into existence from nothing. Impossible things can happen, like particles moving through a barrier that they can't classically pass through. Then you have the Einstein-Rosen bridge where distance is meaningless, then there's the whole entanglement phenomena, and so on.

br0kenrabbit
Right off the bat we have a problem because you've made several claims here without any sources or evidence. I don't mean this in an insulting way or anything, but it seems like you've read or listened to some popular literature on quantum mechanics and now think you're an expert. 1. For example, you wrote, "At the quantum level, space time is meaningless." This is a statement which appears to be logically incoherent. What do you mean when you say on the quantum level, space time is meaningless? Because space time would include the quantum field, which is where quantum fluctuations take place. Prior to the existence of space time, there wasn't a reality described as quantum mechanics. 2. You wrote that in quantum mechanics, particles appear from nothing. But that's false. The "nothing" you're describing isn't a metaphysical nothing. It isn't literally nothing, in other words. The nothing you're describing is called the quantum field--which is very much the opposite of nothing. In fact, if it were really nothing, then there wouldn't be anyway to predict, observe, etc., (i.e. do science), which would mean quantum mechanics would be metaphysics. In any case, the quantum field--or the reality described as quantum mechanics--didn't always exist. This raises the question: How was it produced then?
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 brucewayne69
Member since 2012 • 2864 Posts
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Sleepwalk7
Right off the bat we have a problem because you've made several claims here without any sources or evidence. I don't mean this in an insulting way or anything, but it seems like you've read or listened to some popular literature on quantum mechanics and now think you're an expert. 1. For example, you wrote, "At the quantum level, space time is meaningless." This is a statement which appears to be logically incoherent. What do you mean when you say on the quantum level, space time is meaningless? Because space time would include the quantum field, which is where quantum fluctuations take place. Prior to the existence of space time, there wasn't a reality described as quantum mechanics. 2. You wrote that in quantum mechanics, particles appear from nothing. But that's false. The "nothing" you're describing isn't a metaphysical nothing. It isn't literally nothing, in other words. The nothing you're describing is called the quantum field--which is very much the opposite of nothing. In fact, if it were really nothing, then there wouldn't be anyway to predict, observe, etc., (i.e. do science), which would mean quantum mechanics would be metaphysics. In any case, the quantum field--or the reality described as quantum mechanics--didn't always exist. This raises the question: How was it produced then?

Oh boy
Sleepwalk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sleepwalk7

[QUOTE="Sleepwalk7"][QUOTE="ad1x2"]

ad1x2

This isn't a "flamebait troll topic."

I provided a few good arguments for the existence of God and I'm interested in what the community here thinks of them.

Posting arguments of why you believe God exists in OT falls somewhere between posting why you think weed needs to be illegal forever and posting that Justin Bieber makes better music than every rock/metal band in existance.

Why is that?
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Sleepwalk7

My first sentence is supported by the following sentences. I tell you spacetime is meaningless and then in the following sentences to describe how distance and time are both irrelevant.

And to answer your next question, one has to define something. And then you get into the whole 'empty space' debacle. There was a conference just a month or two ago debating whether there is a such thing as 'empty space' at all.

In String Theory terms, our membrane isn't isolated but the stuff attached to it is. There's a theory that both gravity and the quantum field are generated in extraspacial dimensions.

Outside our membrane spacetime isn't necessary. Indeed, it is theorized that if you could view our 3D+1 world from outside the membranes, it would all appear as a singularity (even time). It just appears to stretch endlessly in all directions because we're trapped inside it.

You suggest that everything that exists came from elsewhere, so where did God come from? If God is eternal, then that means he spent just as much time before creation existing as he will after the end of the world, so this begs the question: what took him so long to create, and what was he doing all that time?

Sleepwalk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sleepwalk7
[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"][QUOTE="Sleepwalk7"] 2. If the universe has an explanation of its existence, that explanation is God.

That would be one premise in a deductive argument that supports the existence of God, yes.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 brucewayne69

[QUOTE="Sleepwalk7"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

br0kenrabbit

My first sentence is supported by the following sentences. I tell you spacetime is meaningless and then go in the following sentences to describe how distane and time are both irrelevant.

And to answer your next question, one has to define something. And then you get into the whole 'empty space' debacle. There was a conference just a month or two ago debating whether there is a such thing as 'empty space' at all.

In String Theory terms, our membrane isn't isolated but the stuff attached to it is. There's a theory that both gravity and the quantum field are generated in extraspacial dimensions.

Outside our membrane spacetime isn't necessary. Indeed, it is theorized that if you could view our 3D+1 world from outside the membranes, it would all appear as a singularity (even time). It just appears to stretch endlessly in all directions because we're trapped inside it.

You suggest that everything that exists came from elsewhere, so where did God come from? If God is eternal, then that means he spent just as much time before creation existing as he will after the end of the world, so this begs the question: what took him so long to create, and what was he doing all that time?

Just made a thread asking that question at the end an hour ago
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 brucewayne69
[QUOTE="Sleepwalk7"][QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"][QUOTE="Sleepwalk7"] 2. If the universe has an explanation of its existence, that explanation is God.

That would be one premise in a deductive argument that supports the existence of God, yes.

You are not using a deductive argument though. For someone to deduce something, there has to be possible causes and conclusions. You are using inductive reasoning. You are saying "this happens so there must be a God." If you were using deductive reasoning, you would say, "This happens, and we know that these can't be the cause, so God is the cause."
Avatar image for deactivated-5c74ba2955026
deactivated-5c74ba2955026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5c74ba2955026
Member since 2013 • 451 Posts

I know this has got to be a troll thread, but I feel like playing anyway

1. Unproven statements, without any support for those qualities.

2. Sequentially speaking, those three points are true. But the second point requires that the universe had to have a cause, and no one knows if it did. Besides, if the universe had a first cause, what caused that first cause?

3. Morality is not universal, also, the argument fails because the first point is groundless. Morality is based on the society around it, and therefore is not objective.

Naw, I don't care anymore

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Here's an argument for the existence of God. God took pity on this woman and gave her a reality show.

celebrity-gifs-herp-derp.gif

Sleepwalk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sleepwalk7

My first sentence is supported by the following sentences. I tell you spacetime is meaningless and then in the following sentences to describe how distance and time are both irrelevant.

br0kenrabbit

To me, it still seems like the statement "spacetime is meaningless" is hyperbolic nonsense that is being used as a way to sweep your lack of knowledge of the subject under the rug. And now you've done it again with, "distance and time are both irrelevant." In what way? You didn't even define "time" for us, so how are we supposed to follow what you're writing? For instance, I define time as merely events or changes. Using this definition, even quantum mechanics would be susceptible to time (because in quantum mechanics there are events or changes). Although stating that quantum mechanics is susceptible to time is a bit too strong. I don't mean to say that time is some sort of entity.

And to answer your next question, one has to define something. And then you get into the whole 'empty space' debacle.

Well, a vacuum isn't really nothing. That's a fact. And it's also not what we're talking about there. You claimed that in quantum mechanics particles can come out of nothing. That's incorrect, unless you're equivocating "nothing" with "quantum field" or "vacuum." When people hear or read, "Particles can come from nothing," they think nonbeing. And I don't know of any scientific literature that espouses such a view.

Outside our membrane spacetime isn't necessary.

It's interesting to watch atheists posit extra-dimensions or other universes without any supporting empirical evidence, because man of these same atheists believe, "God doesn't exist because there is no supporting empirical evidence for His existence."

Indeed, it is theorized that if you could view our 3D+1 world from outside the membranes, it would all appear as a singularity (even time). It just appears to stretch endlessly in all directions because we're trapped inside it.

Yes, this would be the B-theory of time. However, one would still have to explain why there exists a four-dimensional space-time block.

You suggest that everything that exists came from elsewhere, so where did God come from?

Finally! You're actually talking about the argument now. It's everything that begins to exist has a cause, not everything that exists has a cause. God would be an entity that never began to exist, but has always existed. To how illustrate what this means, some mathematicians, logicians, and philosophers believe logic and mathematical concepts are things (and I use this term loosely) that have always existed. They're what is known as necessary beings (beings that cannot fail to exist). The opposing type of being would be a contingent being; a being that doesn't or didn't have to exist.

If God is eternal, then that means he spent just as much time before creation existing as he will after the end of the world, so this begs the question: what took him so long to create, and what was he doing all that time?

Again, you would have to define what you mean by "time." In my view, God has always existed and "time" didn't come into being until God's first creation. Within this view, it becomes sort of meaningless to ask what God was doing prior to creation. But I will say He was existing, perfectly, possessing the attributes: omnipotence, omnipresence, omniscience, and omnibenevolence.
Sleepwalk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sleepwalk7
[QUOTE="brucewayne69"][QUOTE="Sleepwalk7"][QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"] and this is supposed to support the idea of existence of a deity?

You are not using a deductive argument though. For someone to deduce something, there has to be possible causes and conclusions. You are using inductive reasoning. You are saying "this happens so there must be a God." If you were using deductive reasoning, you would say, "This happens, and we know that these can't be the cause, so God is the cause."

No, deductive arguments are, "A deductive argument is an argument that is intended by the arguer to be (deductively) valid, that is, to provide a guarantee of the truth of the conclusion provided that the arguments premises (assumptions) are true." http://www.iep.utm.edu/ded-ind/ An inductive arguments is, "an argument that is intended by the arguer merely to establish or increase the probability of its conclusion. In an inductive argument, the premises are intended only to be so strong that, if they were true, then it would be unlikely that the conclusion is false." http://www.iep.utm.edu/ded-ind/
Mithrandir50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mithrandir50
Member since 2013 • 809 Posts

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Sleepwalk7

To me, it still seems like the statement "spacetime is meaningless" is hyperbolic nonsense that is being used as a way to sweep your lack of knowledge of the subject under the rug. 

Again, you would have to define what you mean by "time." In my view, God has always existed and "time" didn't come into being until God's first creation. Within this view, it becomes sort of meaningless to ask what God was doing prior to creation. But I will say He was existing, perfectly, possessing the attributes: omnipotence, omnipresence, omniscience, and omnibenevolence.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

HAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lostrib

you're not supposed to be able to prove god's existence, you're just meant to have faith that he does

Mithrandir50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mithrandir50
[QUOTE="Sleepwalk7"][QUOTE="brucewayne69"][QUOTE="Sleepwalk7"] That would be one premise in a deductive argument that supports the existence of God, yes.

No, deductive arguments are, "A deductive argument is an argument that is intended by the arguer to be (deductively) valid, that is, to provide a guarantee of the truth of the conclusion provided that the arguments premises (assumptions) are true." http://www.iep.utm.edu/ded-ind/ An inductive arguments is, "an argument that is intended by the arguer merely to establish or increase the probability of its conclusion. In an inductive argument, the premises are intended only to be so strong that, if they were true, then it would be unlikely that the conclusion is false." http://www.iep.utm.edu/ded-ind/

First of all, your premises (assumptions) are by and large false. To deduce God to be the answer, you first have to deduce the existence of God. Since you haven't, you are inducing the answer to your questions to be god.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
danwallacefan is that you
Mithrandir50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mithrandir50

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

you're not supposed to be able to prove god's existence, you're just meant to have faith that he does

InEMplease

Yup.

*sips beer*

beer is for satan
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

1. Everything that exists has an explanation of its existence, either in the necessity of its own nature or in an external cause.

2. If the universe has an explanation of its existence, that explanation is God. Illogical leap. 

3. The universe exists.

4. Therefore, the universe has an explanation of its existence (from 1, 3).

5. Therefore, the explanation of the universes existence is God (from 2, 4).

---

1. Everything that begins to exist has a cause.

2. The universe began to exist.

3. Therefore, the universe has a cause. There is no evidence that any sort of all powerful being was said cause

---

1. If God does not exist, objective moral values and duties do not exist. False assumption

2. Objective moral values and duties do exist.

3. Therefore, God exists.

---

1. The fine-tuning of the universe is due to either physical necessity, chance, or design. False assumption

2. It is not due to physical necessity or chance. False assumption

3. Therefore, it is due to design.

---

1. It is possible that a maximally great being exists. False assumption

2. If it is possible that a maximally great being exists, then a maximally great being exists in some possible world.

3. If a maximally great being exists in some possible world, then it exists in every possible world.

4. If a maximally great being exists in every possible world, then it exists in the actual world.

5. If a maximally great being exists in the actual world, then a maximally great being exists.

6. Therefore, a maximally great being exists.

Read more: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/the-new-atheism-and-five-arguments-for-god#ixzz2UiSrAM1CSleepwalk7

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lostrib

[QUOTE="InEMplease"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

Mithrandir50

Yup.

*sips beer*

beer is for satan

wine is for god?

Sleepwalk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sleepwalk7

I know this has got to be a troll thread, but I feel like playing anyway

1. Unproven statements, without any support for those qualities.

2. Sequentially speaking, those three points are true. But the second point requires that the universe had to have a cause, and no one knows if it did. Besides, if the universe had a first cause, what caused that first cause?

3. Morality is not universal, also, the argument fails because the first point is groundless. Morality is based on the society around it, and therefore is not objective.

Naw, I don't care anymore

Starchaser187
I don't know what arguments you're referring to save for the ones where you implicitly mention--so I'll just respond to those. If the universe didn't have a cause, then that would mean it came into being uncaused from nonbeing. Talk about magic. You're free to believe that if you want, but to me this seems irrational. To ask what caused the first cause is logically incoherent, because you're talking about the first cause. If something were truly the first cause, then obviously it couldn't have a cause itself. Your position on morality is nothing but circular reasoning, a logical fallacy. You're going to have to provide reasons for why you think objective moral values do not exist. And by saying objective moral values do not exist, what you're essentially saying is this, "torturing and killing babies isn't objectively wrong. It is only my opinion that it is wrong."
Mithrandir50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mithrandir50

[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="InEMplease"]

Yup.

*sips beer*

InEMplease

beer is for satan

Satan can buy his own f*cking beer!

Beer is the blood of satan Pancakes are the body
Sleepwalk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sleepwalk7

[QUOTE="Sleepwalk7"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Mithrandir50

To me, it still seems like the statement "spacetime is meaningless" is hyperbolic nonsense that is being used as a way to sweep your lack of knowledge of the subject under the rug. 

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

HAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I can only speculate on what you think is funny. You seem to think that writing, "Asking what God was doing (implying the existence of time) prior to the existence of time is meaningless." With "space-time is meaningless," in regard to quantum mechanics. Could you explain the parallel, because I don't see one. How could quantum mechanics make space-time meaningless when quantum mechanics is part of the fabric of space-time?
British_Azimio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 British_Azimio
Member since 2007 • 2459 Posts
I believe in God but your arguments...not so much.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

[QUOTE="InEMplease"]

[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] beer is for satanMithrandir50

I eat satan more often than I eat jesus! (mostly because I'm not a big wine drinker)

Mithrandir50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mithrandir50

[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="InEMplease"]

Guybrush_3

I eat satan more often than I eat jesus! (mostly because I'm not a big wine drinker)

Satan is tasty especially when he is covered with the vaginal juices of Mary (syrup). Too far?
Sleepwalk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sleepwalk7
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] First of all, your premises (assumptions) are by and large false. To deduce God to be the answer, you first have to deduce the existence of God. Since you haven't, you are inducing the answer to your questions to be god.

I just shared with you and the other posters here a link to a very reputable source explaining what deductive arguments are. I'll explain it to you again. A deductive argument is an argument where the conclusion follows necessarily and inescapably from the premises--if the premises are true. Feel free to pick out one or more of the premises mentioned in my original post and explain why they are false or probably false. To do so would be to engage in actual debate. I thought atheists were supposed to be rational, but all I'm getting (for the most part) are emotional responses and sarcasm. I guess there are just no good rational reasons to be an atheist...
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

2. God has no cause.
3. God never began to exist
4. He does not exist.

Mithrandir50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mithrandir50
[QUOTE="Sleepwalk7"][QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] No, deductive arguments are, "A deductive argument is an argument that is intended by the arguer to be (deductively) valid, that is, to provide a guarantee of the truth of the conclusion provided that the arguments premises (assumptions) are true." http://www.iep.utm.edu/ded-ind/ An inductive arguments is, "an argument that is intended by the arguer merely to establish or increase the probability of its conclusion. In an inductive argument, the premises are intended only to be so strong that, if they were true, then it would be unlikely that the conclusion is false." http://www.iep.utm.edu/ded-ind/

First of all, your premises (assumptions) are by and large false. To deduce God to be the answer, you first have to deduce the existence of God. Since you haven't, you are inducing the answer to your questions to be god.

I just shared with you and the other posters here a link to a very reputable source explaining what deductive arguments are. I'll explain it to you again. A deductive argument is an argument where the conclusion follows necessarily and inescapably from the premises--if the premises are true. Feel free to pick out one or more of the premises mentioned in my original post and explain why they are false or probably false. To do so would be to engage in actual debate. I thought atheists were supposed to be rational, but all I'm getting (for the most part) are emotional responses and sarcasm. I guess there are just no good rational reasons to be an atheist...

Quiz: What type of reasoning brought you to the last statement? "I guess there are just...."
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 br0kenrabbit

To me, it still seems like the statement "spacetime is meaningless" is hyperbolic nonsense that is being used as a way to sweep your lack of knowledge of the subject under the rug. And now you've done it again with, "distance and time are both irrelevant." In what way? You didn't even define "time" for us, so how are we supposed to follow what you're writing? For instance, I define time as merely events or changes. Using this definition, even quantum mechanics would be susceptible to time (because in quantum mechanics there are events or changes). Although stating that quantum mechanics is susceptible to time is a bit too strong. I don't mean to say that time is some sort of entity.

And to answer your next question, one has to define something. And then you get into the whole 'empty space' debacle.Sleepwalk7

Well, a vacuum isn't really nothing. That's a fact. And it's also not what we're talking about there. You claimed that in quantum mechanics particles can come out of nothing. That's incorrect, unless you're equivocating "nothing" with "quantum field" or "vacuum." When people hear or read, "Particles can come from nothing," they think nonbeing. And I don't know of any scientific literature that espouses such a view.

I've gone over this many times on this forum so I'm used to trying to describe things in terms most people can understand. I've been studying quantum physics since 1995, and I can most definately pull out the math.

By 'nothing' I was suggesting in the same way a photon is 'nothing' as in 'there is no there, there.' Sure a photon has mass (momentum) but there's nothing to catch (no rest-mass), to observe, though you can detect.

It's interesting to watch atheists posit extra-dimensions or other universes without any supporting empirical evidence, because man of these same atheists believe, "God doesn't exist because there is no supporting empirical evidence for His existence."Sleepwalk7

Going on the above, no one has ever seen a photon, either, despite the fact that photons are what allows us sight. We have inferred their existence from their interation with other particles and fields, the same as we can infer the exstience of extra dimensions by the fact that the math tells us that strings have to move in more than three spatial directions.

Is this unquestional evidence? Well, it's got the same weight as "Look around you = God". So until you come off that horse...

Again, you would have to define what you mean by "time." In my view, God has always existed and "time" didn't come into being until God's first creation. Within this view, it becomes sort of meaningless to ask what God was doing prior to creation. But I will say He was existing, perfectly, possessing the attributes: omnipotence, omnipresence, omniscience, and omnibenevolence.Sleepwalk7

^And the cop-out.^

I think the best proof against the Biblical God are in the stories that predate the Torah: Gilgamesh, Homers Odyssey, the Assyrian and Phoenician myths, etc. And beyond that, there's Jewish history itself: the Jews borrow the Phoenician alphabet as their first written script and the first thing they come up with is something strikingly similar to The Epic of Gilgamesh.

Then there's the whole Yahweh issue...what with YHWH being traced to a pantheon of Gods where he happens to be the Storm/War God, and then his appearance in the Old Testament in the visage of storm clouds and thunder and always declaring war and so on.

Oh, what happened to his female consort, Asherah? She first belonged to Baal, then Yahweh, and then Yahweh decided he didn't like her. The Jews took a while to catch up, though...I believe Asherah poles were in the temple as late as the events of 1 Kings.

Just about every story in the OT has a pre-existing analog in the mythos of other cultures. The story of Christ has several.

Oh, and why does Hebrew record the first verse of The Bible as "In the Beginning GODS", in the plural (Elohim)? Oh yeah...Asherah.

So you see, human history itself leads to the conclusion that the God of the Bible is a construct.

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

2. God has no cause.
4. He does not exist.

rastotm
God exists outside of the universe. That rule only applies to things in this universe.
Sleepwalk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sleepwalk7

[QUOTE="Sleepwalk7"]1. Everything that exists has an explanation of its existence, either in the necessity of its own nature or in an external cause.

2. If the universe has an explanation of its existence, that explanation is God. Illogical leap. 

3. The universe exists.

4. Therefore, the universe has an explanation of its existence (from 1, 3).

5. Therefore, the explanation of the universes existence is God (from 2, 4).

---

2. The universe began to exist.

3. Therefore, the universe has a cause. There is no evidence that any sort of all powerful being was said cause

---

1. If God does not exist, objective moral values and duties do not exist. False assumption

2. Objective moral values and duties do exist.

3. Therefore, God exists.

---

1. The fine-tuning of the universe is due to either physical necessity, chance, or design. False assumption

2. It is not due to physical necessity or chance. False assumption

3. Therefore, it is due to design.

---

1. It is possible that a maximally great being exists. False assumption

2. If it is possible that a maximally great being exists, then a maximally great being exists in some possible world.

3. If a maximally great being exists in some possible world, then it exists in every possible world.

4. If a maximally great being exists in every possible world, then it exists in the actual world.

5. If a maximally great being exists in the actual world, then a maximally great being exists.

6. Therefore, a maximally great being exists.

Read more: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/the-new-atheism-and-five-arguments-for-god#ixzz2UiSrAM1CGuybrush_3

Since you didn't write anything of substance, I'm left with responding to one or two word blurbs.

illogical leap

I take this to mean you think the premise is false or probably false, which means you think there is a better explanation for the existence of the universe than God. What is this explanation?

There is no evidence that any sort of all powerful being was said cause

Once you conceptually analyze what the cause of the universe would need to possess as far as causal powers go, you come to the realization that it is God. For instance, the cause of the universe would need to be timeless, immaterial, powerful, and an agent.

False assumption

Then how would objective moral values exist outside of God?

False assumption

Then what other possible explanations are there for the fine-tuning of the universe for intelligent life outside of physical necessity, chance or design? And why do you think it is wrong to say it is more plausible than not that the fine-tuning is due to design as opposed to physical necessity or chance?

False assumption

So you're saying it is impossible for a maximally powerful being to exist? How so?
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Everyone believes in God and worships some form of a lord. That's like saying I don't believe in love therefore never feel love.
Opi0us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Opi0us
Member since 2013 • 172 Posts
2. If the universe has an explanation of its existence, that explanation is God.Sleepwalk7
Wat?
1. If God does not exist, objective moral values and duties do not exist.Sleepwalk7
Wat?
3. If a maximally great being exists in some possible world, then it exists in every possible world.Sleepwalk7
Wat?
Sleepwalk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sleepwalk7

1. Everything that begins to exist has a cause.rastotm

Yes, this does seem plausible.

2. God has no cause.

True. Because God didn't begin to exist. He has always existed. A necessary being.

True.

4. He does not exist.

This is a non-sequitur unless one presumes that everything in existence is contingent. In other words, you'd have to believe that everything in existence had a beginning--or that there was a "time" when everything in existence didn't exist.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

if there is no god then how come everyone screams about him while they have sex?