Are we on the brink of WWIII?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by WiiMan21 (8190 posts) -

Okay guys, I'm being super cereal here, and what's Off-Topic without some paranoid discussions to go with our religious and gun debates?

So as everyone probably knows (unless you're living under a rock), we've got several different things going on in this world that may or may not be concerning (giving that this might still be just Iran, China, North Korea ect all just flashing their guns to show off that they still exist).

We have things like North Korea going under Martial Law (Because God knows they were already under it), and threatening nuclear tests, and as always "preparing for war". And of course the discovery of the more recent concentration camps within North Korea (even though we technically knew they had stuff like that gong on.

We have Iran and Russia getting angry at Israel for attacking Syria, as Iran hastens their Uranium enrichment programs ect.

Then we have the Usual Japan vs. China, Turkey getting angry, and China always being an ever growing concern to the US.

------

If needed I can always bring up more things, but as of now it seems that 2013 is going to be a "fun" year for everyone.

So Off-Topic, do you think we're on the brink of WWIII?

Discuss.

#2 Posted by wis3boi (32020 posts) -

No.  I highly doubt you'll see anything like the likes of WW2 any time soon. 

#3 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

No.  No we are not.  It's gon b all right.

#4 Posted by Lance2500 (680 posts) -

They're up to World War 3??????

#5 Posted by Legend002 (7874 posts) -

Too much Call of Duty huh?

#6 Posted by WiiMan21 (8190 posts) -

Legend002
Ewww no, Call of Duty is not my style.
#7 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Not for a while at least.  The poor people will keep dieing like usual but us first worlders should be ok.

#8 Posted by Audacitron (968 posts) -

Okay guys, I'm being super cereal here, and what's Off-Topic without some paranoid discussions to go with our religious and gun debates?

So as everyone probably knows (unless you're living under a rock), we've got several different things going on in this world that may or may not be concerning (giving that this might still be just Iran, China, North Korea ect all just flashing their guns to show off that they still exist).

We have things like North Korea going under Martial Law (Because God knows they were already under it), and threatening nuclear tests, and as always "preparing for war". And of course the discovery of the more recent concentration camps within North Korea (even though we technically knew they had stuff like that gong on.

We have Iran and Russia getting angry at Israel for attacking Syria, as Iran hastens their Uranium enrichment programs ect.

Then we have the Usual Japan vs. China, Turkey getting angry, and China always being an ever growing concern to the US.

------

If needed I can always bring up more things, but as of now it seems that 2013 is going to be a "fun" year for everyone.

So Off-Topic, do you think we're on the brink of WWIII?

Discuss.

WiiMan21

We're in the midst of another Cold War.  Those of us in 'civilisation' are unlikely to be affected.  We'll instead fight it out in various nations in Africa and the Middle East.

#9 Posted by WiiMan21 (8190 posts) -

jim_shorts
Thanks Jim, you're words soothe my worries like a throat lozenge during a bad cold.
#10 Posted by Netherscourge (16354 posts) -

I hope so.

Maybe Americans will start shooting enemy combatants instead of their fellow school kids then...

#11 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

North Korea has been in martial law 24/7/365 since 1948 this is nothing new...

#12 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

WiiMan21
Thanks Jim, you're words soothe my worries like a throat lozenge during a bad cold.

Dere's no need 2 b upset
#13 Posted by Squeets (8184 posts) -

100% of the developed world is 100% globalized.

There will never be global war between great powers ever again.

For one great power to go to war with another great power, it would be to destroy their own economy.

If the United States went to war with Iran and North Korea, it would not be WW3.  The United States could defeat the conventional armies of both of those nations in a matter of days, and short of occupying those nations in the aftermath, the wars would be minor at best.  And despite what either of those nations or the US say, we are highly unlikely to enter war with them.  They are ruled by dictators (Supreme Leader and Ayatollah).  Dictators want to remain in power.  They are not idiots (crazy maybe), to make war with the United States would be to destroy their own power.

#14 Posted by Primordialous (1313 posts) -

Legend002

#15 Posted by theone86 (20555 posts) -

Nope.  I think that the people who talk about the possibility of an epic-scale war or a global financial collapse or an impending armageddon are usually people who are old enough to be used to the current zeitgeist I'll say for lack of a better word.  They see how the world is changing, the new challenges we're facing, changing norms, etc. and they get scared, are unable to effectively deal with them on a psychological level, and resort to these doomsday predictions.  I think that people who are imaginative enough to think about new solutions and new ways of dealing with problems rarely ascribe to these theories, unless perhaps they're horribly cynical because of constant disappointment and are just in some way wishing for a blank slate.

#16 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24989 posts) -

It's on right now in all your minds!

#17 Posted by WiiMan21 (8190 posts) -
[QUOTE="WiiMan21"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

jim_shorts

Dere's no need 2 b upset

I'm not, that was meant to be light heart, not said in a butthurt manor. xP
#18 Posted by WiiMan21 (8190 posts) -

North Korea has been in martial law 24/7/365 since 1948 this is nothing new...

Fightingfan
I stated in the OP that they have been under Martial Law.
#19 Posted by punkpunker (3324 posts) -

no, unless china keeps claiming resource rich islands near southeast asia then we might have an issue.

#20 Posted by dragonfly110 (27076 posts) -

Nah, another World War would be too much of a bummer. 

#21 Posted by wis3boi (32020 posts) -

[QUOTE="WiiMan21"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

jim_shorts

Dere's no need 2 b upset

tumblr_m0izvrs3Dm1qfczas.gif

#22 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -

No. The only thing that would drive WW3 in the forseeable future would be a shortage of either water, oil or food. All of which well not run out of (at least in the rich part of the world) for a very long time. 

In order for a World War to start, somehow some of the world powers would have to declare war on each other. There is no way that US, EU, Russia, or China would declare war on another.

North Korea goes under Martial Law every time it tests a Nuke, so it doesn't mean much. If North Korea is going to get into a war with South Korea (and the US), at worst the Chinese are going to sit back and do nothing. If they were to get involved, it would probably be because North Korea used a Nuke, and China would probably be on the side of the south. Anyway, North Korea's nukes are extremely weak. 

EDIT: 
And Russia won't do anything towards Isreal. If Iran attacks Isreal, it is a regional war. The US might get involved, but Russia would not get directly involved, but might supply Iran cold war style. 

#23 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
Whether we have a WWIII or not, there'll probably be another Civil War if the Government keeps pushing for law-abiding citizens to give up their right to have a means of defending themselves.
#24 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="WiiMan21"] Thanks Jim, you're words soothe my worries like a throat lozenge during a bad cold.wis3boi

Dere's no need 2 b upset

tumblr_m0izvrs3Dm1qfczas.gif

I was actually gonna post that gif but I couldn't find it.
#25 Posted by hippiesanta (9995 posts) -
according to nostradamus... ww3 is not happen simultinously ... it already happen now
#26 Posted by obenns (303 posts) -
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

WiiMan21

Word.
#27 Posted by Angie7F (1175 posts) -

World wars are such an old concept...

I am concerned about China and North Korea, but I think most people would not be interested in going to war.

However, I think it would be good for some economies....

#28 Posted by sukraj (24031 posts) -

no not gunna happen.

#29 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
World War II, IIRC, cost a trillion dollars in the 1940's. The US is currently almost 20 trillion dollars in debt, not including the 230 trillion dollars in unfunded liabilities. In modern money, $1 trillion from 1945 is $12.3 trillion. The US has already assumed more than 20 times the debt than another "world war" might cost. Almost every country in the world that has a significant standing army, that could participate in a conflict lasting 4-5 years, is in debt as well. There is no way anyone could pay for it. The world does not have the productive potential to provide equipment for such a conflict. Especially the US.