Are salads from places like McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's any good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mister_Mackey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mister_Mackey
Member since 2011 • 384 Posts

Are the vegetables in their salads fresh?

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

they add sugar to their salads

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

When I go to those places, it is for one reason only - to get the greasiest, unhealthiest, saltyest food I can tolerate.

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
Nope. You can buy a bag of spinach and some vegetables and make your own salad for less money and you'll actually get some nutrition from it. I don't understand the appeal of fast food. At all.
DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DucksBrains
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts

Nope. You can buy a bag of spinach and some vegetables and make your own salad for less money and you'll actually get some nutrition from it. I don't understand the appeal of fast food. At all.dodgerblue13

Convenience.

pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pero2008
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts
And you will know what you are going to get.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
It's a crap shoot. As they aren't purchased terribly often (by anyone), you might get a salad that's relatively fresh, or one that's near the end of its shelf life. Wendy's salads seem to sell better, so you have a better chance of getting a fresh one from them.
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dodgerblue13
Convenience.DucksBrains
It's not even that convenient. It's not like it's difficult to throw some spinach and vegetables in tupperware or make a peanut butter sandwich or take leftovers for lunch. And grilling a piece of chicken for dinner is not difficult. Unless you live ten steps from a McDonald's and you don't own any appliances, the convenience argument is just kind of lazy.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
Their lettuce is soaked in grease first and the tomatoes are deep fried.
emilykrys66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 emilykrys66
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I wouldn't eat anything from mc donalds or any food restaurant for that matter not after seeing the video how they all get there meat from the same location and its all brains guts and intestines processed with ammonia so it can be approved for human consumption. I don't think I would even go with fast food if I was homeless I think I would rather dumpster dive in some real restaurant :P
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

[QUOTE="DucksBrains"]Convenience.dodgerblue13
It's not even that convenient. It's not like it's difficult to throw some spinach and vegetables in tupperware or make a peanut butter sandwich or take leftovers for lunch. And grilling a piece of chicken for dinner is not difficult. Unless you live ten steps from a McDonald's and you don't own any appliances, the convenience argument is just kind of lazy.

The convenience argument is convenient.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

When I'm driving six hours from the middle of North Carolina to ATL I would rather go through a drive through than stop in a supermarket and try to put together a meal in my back seat. That's your convenience. Your average person will only eat fast food for lunch and maybe breakfast if they work too far from home to drive there for lunch but dinner will be at home. At least that's how I normally do it.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

So If I'm driving from Michigan to Alabama to visit family and I'm 9 hours from home, your saying there is no convenience whatsoever in running through the drivethrough? Making a Sandwhich beforehand isn't feasable because your average pb&j won't keep for 9 hours and if you bring leftovers, you'll also have to keep it cool, which typically requires a cooler, which I would have to keep in the trunk or back seat. Doesn't seem that convienent to me.

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dodgerblue13
When I'm driving six hours from the middle of North Carolina to ATL I would rather go through a drive through than stop in a supermarket and try to put together a meal in my back seat. That's your convenience. Your average person will only eat fast food for lunch and maybe breakfast if they work too far from home to drive there for lunch but dinner will be at home. At least that's how I normally do it.ad1x2
You could also stop at a grocery store and get some nuts and fruit. It's not like that takes an hour. Or maybe plan ahead and have that stuff ready. I doubt you take spur-of-the-moment six-hour trips.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

[QUOTE="ad1x2"]When I'm driving six hours from the middle of North Carolina to ATL I would rather go through a drive through than stop in a supermarket and try to put together a meal in my back seat. That's your convenience. Your average person will only eat fast food for lunch and maybe breakfast if they work too far from home to drive there for lunch but dinner will be at home. At least that's how I normally do it.dodgerblue13
You could also stop at a grocery store and get some nuts and fruit. It's not like that takes an hour. Or maybe plan ahead and have that stuff ready. I doubt you take spur-of-the-moment six-hour trips.

Actually, I do sometimes do a spur of the moment trip. A side effect of having a Prius and a buddy in ATL who invites me to the occasional bash when I have a long weekend and a wife who's best friend lives eight hours away.

I'll get snacks before most trips. But sometimes I might want a cold drink or a hot sandwich around the three or four hour mark. It's just not worth the trouble to maintain a cooler for that in my opinion. If you hate fast food that's your option to ignore fast food and figure out an alternative way to eat. But when you're hours away from home convenience might just be what you're looking for especially when you may have been driving for the past few hours and don't feel like making something yourself.

kendouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kendouken
Member since 2011 • 66 Posts
stick to their non-salad food. some of their salad sucks on my point of view...
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

If you want to eat healthy just stay away from fast food.

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts

[QUOTE="dodgerblue13"][QUOTE="ad1x2"]When I'm driving six hours from the middle of North Carolina to ATL I would rather go through a drive through than stop in a supermarket and try to put together a meal in my back seat. That's your convenience. Your average person will only eat fast food for lunch and maybe breakfast if they work too far from home to drive there for lunch but dinner will be at home. At least that's how I normally do it.ad1x2

Actually, I do sometimes do a spur of the moment trip. A side effect of having a Prius and a buddy in ATL who invites me to the occasional bash when I have a long weekend and a wife who's best friend lives eight hours away.

I'll get snacks before most trips. But sometimes I might want a cold drink or a hot sandwich around the three or four hour mark. It's just not worth the trouble to maintain a cooler for that in my opinion. If you hate fast food that's your option to ignore fast food and figure out an alternative way to eat. But when you're hours away from home convenience might just be what you're looking for especially when you may have been driving for the past few hours and don't feel like making something yourself.

And fastfood is good food, just greasy. Not saying I eat them regularly, but if your in a go! then get that fastfood to go! :lol:
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Could be something a person would want to eat for lunch. Also if a person comes from work and is tired I doubt they wanna make a salad,

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

There's no such thing as "fresh" when it comes to fast food. I know since I worked in the industry back in high school. >.>

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
Having a decent understanding of epidemiology and food-borne illness, if a major outbreak were to occur, fast-food salads would pretty much be an ideal petri dish. No thanks.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Nope. You can buy a bag of spinach and some vegetables and make your own salad for less money and you'll actually get some nutrition from it. I don't understand the appeal of fast food. At all.dodgerblue13
It tastes good, its cheap, its quicker than cooking a meal yourself, and there are no dishes to wash afteward. Sure, you could toss together a salad or make a simple sandwich, but if you want a burger or chicken then that's not going to cut it. As it turns out, most people find vegetables unappealing because they don't have much of a taste or even have an aversive taste. Humans have evolved to LOVE fat, salt, and meat because in the days of hunting and gathering you needed all the calories and salt you could get since they were so rare. Vegetables and fruits were needed too, but they're so low on calories that you (much less your tribe) couldn't really live off of just vegetables and fruits alone before the advent of farming. As a result, the human brain evolved to give a huge reward for fatty foods and a minimum reward if not a slight punishment for foods low in calories (as a way of saying "this isn't going to cut it, find something that will keep you alive damnit"). Of course, now that food is in more than plentiful supply and people have the ability to make their food as full of fat as they want we wind up with food made into a hyperstimulus by injecting it with as much fat and salt as possible.
MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

I used to work at Hungry Jacks (Burger King) and I never ever had to make a salad in 11 months of working there. They're made out of the salad that goes on the burgers like lettuce, tomato andbeetroot and they chuck in a ripped up chicken patty or vegie patty. Not a wise choice for a meal.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

I don't like packing my own lunch for school. It's much easier to just walk down to McDonalds or something.
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts

[QUOTE="dodgerblue13"]Nope. You can buy a bag of spinach and some vegetables and make your own salad for less money and you'll actually get some nutrition from it. I don't understand the appeal of fast food. At all.DucksBrains

Convenience.

and heartstopping tasty goodness.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Depends on if they have delicious, hard boiled eggs or not.

GrudHeap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 GrudHeap
Member since 2011 • 138 Posts

There's no such thing as "fresh" when it comes to fast food. I know since I worked in the industry back in high school. >.>

soulless4now

It's fresh out of the cardboard box it got shipped in. Just pop it under a heat lamp and you're good to go!

BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

if you go easy on or, better yet, completely leave out the salad dressing (or sweet, oily stuff they call dressing) it at least somewhat manages to make you think it's healthy compared to the burgers and fries still sitting in front of you. on the other hand it also makes you feel like you're eating rabbit food. so i tend to not kid myself and stay away from the salads in fastfood places.

The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts
I wouldn't pay to eat a salad period.
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
No, they're not.
Moo-Moo-Milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Moo-Moo-Milk
Member since 2005 • 1007 Posts
Yes it's fine. It won't make you fat. Neither will the burger. Just eat it.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
No, their lettuce is full of grease and fry oil.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
They also remove all of the nutrients from the vegetables, just to make you mad.
Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
I don't know about the others, but Wendy's has good salad.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44574 Posts
the only reason I think they get stuff like this is for people who want a salad but are with people that want to eat fast food, but I don't think people will go through a fast food drive through just to get a salad by themselves you can spend just as much buying a bag a salad mixed vegetables from the stores and have enough for a few salads
EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 EntropyWins
Member since 2010 • 1209 Posts

If you are in a hurry, and want a quick salad, I have never been let down by any of them. I usually get double grilled chicken, though, since they seem to skimp on that.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Wendy's and McDonald's salads aren't bad at all. Carls Jr. has pretty good ones too. The idea that because they come from a fast food joint they have no nutritional value is pretty stupid... I'd prefer to make my own at home BY FAR, but if I'm forced to get fast food they're a good option.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#39 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

When I eat a salad from McDonalds, I don't do it because I think its healthy (its not), I do it because I like how it tastes.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
I love burgers! Salads no comment.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

[QUOTE="soulless4now"]

GrudHeap

It's fresh out of the cardboard box it got shipped in. Just pop it under a heat lamp and you're good to go!

Sadly, that is the only time it can be considered fresh. Still gross how most of the stuff just sits out for most of the day.
Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

Fast food = fast, that's why you go there when you're in a hurry.

Obviously a burger or salad made at home is going to taste better, and in every aspect be better. But it takes time, and is more expensive most of the time. ( $4 vs buying a whole pack of lettuce/burgers, buns, etc) In the end it's almost always worth it.

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

[QUOTE="dodgerblue13"]Nope. You can buy a bag of spinach and some vegetables and make your own salad for less money and you'll actually get some nutrition from it. I don't understand the appeal of fast food. At all.DucksBrains

Convenience.

and deliciousness

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Who the hell goes to fast food restaurants for salads anyway? O_O

taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 taylor888
Member since 2005 • 2232 Posts

What if you are at school and your house is an hour away and you didn't bring food and you are doing homework and starving at the same time? It is pretty convenient. I don't opt for McDonald's though, there is a Quiznos on campus.
PiscesChick93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 PiscesChick93
Member since 2008 • 10732 Posts

I loveee the salads in McDonalds. Having said that, it's been a long time since I had one of the McDonald's salads!!

Must..have..one..again!

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#47 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
In Australia they actually look pretty good. Fresh and looks vibrant.