Apple Bans the Word 'Android' From App Store

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Apple Bans the Word 'Android' From App Store

Apple App Store

By now, we're all familiar with Apple's culture of control. Particularly when it comes to the App Store, the crew from Cupertino is famous for its frequent rejections and vague explanations. The process can make the satirical comparisons of Apple and a communist regime seem pretty reasonable at times.

This, my friends, is one of those instances. Apple has apparently just forbidden a developer from using the word "Android" in his app's description. The message: Drop the A-word, or drop your application.

My response: Seriously, Apple?

Apple and App Store Bans

Apple's heavy-handed use of the rejection stamp has hit everything from podcasting programs to breast-oriented offerings. If there's one company that knows the feeling of being banned, it's Google.

Apple App Store Ban

Apple banned Google's Google Voice app from its App Store last year, a move so strange-looking that even the FCC questioned it. Apple, according to documents made public as part of that investigation, said the app "duplicated the core dialer functionality of the iPhone."

Apple also waved away Google's Latitude app, reportedly claiming it was too similar to the iPhone's built-in Maps application and could offer features not found in the native program.

This new godlike stance, however, gets even more petty. Tim Novikof, the developer of the Flash of Genius app, says he tried to submit his program to the App Store with a mention of its success in Google's Android Developer Challenge. The Developer Challenge is an annual contest that seeks to honor the most innovative and useful new mobile apps.

The Flash of Genius app was a finalist in the Challenge, and Novikof thought including that information in the description could help illustrate the program's value and increase its iPhone-based sales. Apple evidently didn't agree; Novikof says he received a notice from Apple's app approval department that stated the following:

Apple

"During our review of your application, we found that your application contains inappropriate or irrelevant platform information in the Application Description and/or Release Notes sections.

"While your application has not been rejected, it would be appropriate to remove 'Finalist in Google's Android Developer's Challenge!' from the Application Description.

"Please log into iTunes Connect to make appropriate changes to the Application Description now to avoid an interruption in the availability of Flash of Genius: SAT Vocab 2.2 on the iPhone App Store."

Apple's Bans: A New Extreme

iPhone and Android

We know Apple sees Google as an enemy these days; the two companies, after all, are going head-to-head for smartphone sales. But not allowing an app into the App Store simply because it uses the word Android in its description? That's a pitiful new low, even by Apple's standards.

To be clear, the developer himself doesn't appear to feel so strongly about the matter (either that, or he's afraid that expressing dissent could get him axed from Apple altogether). The app sells decently without the mention of the Android Developer Challenge in its description, Novikof says, and he's willing to leave well enough alone.

I guess I'm just old-fashioned: I like to receive my content unfiltered and make my own decisions. If I want to use a program that references a competing company, I like knowing that I can. If I want to use a program that contains content someone else deems "objectionable" -- or, dare I say it, even adult-themed -- I like knowing I have that right.

Apple's never going to operate under an open and transparent model; that's simply not in the cards. But taking App Store censorship and control to this kind of comedic extreme is nothing short of silly. The iPhone isn't the only contender in the market anymore. Trying to pull the wool over your customers' eyes isn't going to change that; it's only going to make you look dated and desperate.

Come on, Apple. You're better than that.

LINK

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

Your surprised? This is apple, they have been doing this stuff to hide their inferiority as long as I can remember.

Bedizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bedizen
Member since 2009 • 2576 Posts

Seems a bit over the top

tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
Pretty pathetic move.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#5 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Apple sucks but doesn't want to admit it.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I've never paid money for an Apple product, not will I ever pay for an Apple product. It is overpriced fashion-tech designed for those who care more about how they look among their peers than the functionality of their devices.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#7 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Apple. What are you gonna do. Besides not buying their crap, which has worked pretty well for me so far.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Apple is being racist towards androids! Androids may be part robot, but they are part human too! :x

Hopefully androids around the world fight this.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

:lol: Haha I think Apple's worried. Android and it's phones, in my opinion, blow the iPhone away. Google's much nicer to devs. I can easily see many app devs forgetting about Apple within the next year or two, unless they change their ways. Google doesn't nitpick and approve apps and the updates, and they don't ban words from descriptions, except maybe explicit words.

Apple has officially hit a new low. Having the Droid, and using Macs in school, I realize now that Apple sucks.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blazerdt47

Apple is being racist towards androids! Androids may be part robot, but they are part human too! :x

Hopefully androids around the world fight this.

DJ-Lafleur
Oh they're fighting alright. Android is significantly growing in popularity thanks to Motorola's new "Droid" campaign.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
That is way over-the-top.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Brilliant move by Apple to stop SkyNet from dominating their mobile phone network.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#13 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

Blazerdt47

No they're not. This is standard Apple company policy, and one of the many reasons they will never get my money.

hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

apple is getting on my nerves. yeah there PC vs mac adds were ok but now its getting old. there ipad sounds like a tampon and now they ban the word android?

apple completely fails right now

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

I've never paid money for an Apple product, not will I ever pay for an Apple product. It is overpriced fashion-tech designed for those who care more about how they look among their peers than the functionality of their devices.

foxhound_fox
Couldn't agree more.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

Blazerdt47

No they aren't.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Oh my God, Apple is being so childish by banning Google's app and being a total *bleep*!
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
I think that Apple is going to far in trying to get people to only use their products.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
Apple is horrified not because Android is from Google, but because it's Linux. Linux is the bane of Apple's existence on all fronts; smart phones, computers, media players, etc. The second the modern consumer realizes that OS X offers no advantage over Linux, Apple is hosed.
-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts
I dont use any app stores, and I cant imagine that I'd ever need the use of the word 'android'. But that still seems silly to ban that word.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I really wish I were surprised by this.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

foxhound_fox
I buy apple products, does that make me one of those air-heads you speak off? :|
ariz3260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ariz3260
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts

I think they are letting their success getting to their heads

People used to rant about how evil Microsoft was, now Apple demonstrates that it is more than capable in terms of pissing people off and throwing tantrum

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Blazerdt47

Does anyone realize that Apple is bashing Google back and forth and Steve Jobs just recently claiming Android a competition while Google is still supporting Apple and letting the iPhone still use it's apps? Does Google have something up their sleeve?

JustBeingFrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JustBeingFrank
Member since 2010 • 735 Posts
It looks like Apple is feeling threatened.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I know I'm late, but... Way to be biased, Apple.
solid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 solid_mario
Member since 2005 • 3144 Posts
I think that it is probably just protecting themselves from any copyright infringement more than anything.
amirzaim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 amirzaim
Member since 2007 • 1720 Posts
Apple is likely feeling shame to google because google had been making drastic acts to move it the business. From the search engine, and then go to the chrome browser, chrome os, google buzz social site to beat the facebook and so on and now they want it to become an ISP to beat the ISP's companies in the world!
Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Samwel_X
Member since 2006 • 13765 Posts

It is awfully petty, but after the poor move that was the iPad I guess the fear of an increasingly popular competitor is getting to them.

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
Apple sucks. They pretty much bricked an app that helped you take steady pictures when the 3GS came out.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

I am glad I don't own a single Apple product and neither does my family.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#32 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

That's because it reminds people of Radiohead, who suck so hard.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Hopefully androids around the world fight this.DJ-Lafleur

Aren't you referring to cyborgs? They are actually part human, part machine, whereas androids only resemble humans.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts
When I am king, you will be first against the wall With your opinion which is of no consequence at all What's that...? (I may be paranoid, but no android) What's that...? (I may be paranoid, but no android)
rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
That's pretty pathetic.
Avatar image for narutoisapirate
narutoisapirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 narutoisapirate
Member since 2009 • 1985 Posts

Apple sucks but doesn't want to admit it. Toriko42

this is the only logical answer.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Why am I not surprised?

ferron321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 ferron321
Member since 2004 • 3078 Posts
I'm not entirely against apple (or at least not as much as most of the people here.) I own a computer that runs OSX, as well as an iPhone, but god forbid anyone who buys directly from Apple themselves. Get a cheap tower with an intel processor and you have a dual-bootable mac right there. If you find a way around the majority of their high prices the products themselves can be useful if you have a use for them,