MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts

What kind of motorcycle? How long? I’m thinking of buying my first bike. My dream is a Ducati Monster, but for a first bike....eh. I don’t want to buy a banger though.

Are bikes really that difficult to learn on? I’ve been driving manuals for twenty eight years. Any advice? Also seems that bikers are their own clique. I’m not very social, am I expected to group up with other riders?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8778 Posts

@MirkoS77: I used to. I had a beginner bike. Yamaha 650cc cruiser. It was a blast, even though I couldn't pass 80mph.

You need to be aware at all times, obviously. Don't assume that people see you. They will cut you off. It took me a little while to get used to riding. But that's why the state I lived in had regulations stating that I had to take a riding class. You aren't expected to ride with others. I'm not very social either. The most I would do is let go of the left handle bar and extend my left arm out low and to the side when passing (it's a kind of wave). There are cliques, but it's cool to be a lone wolf, don'tya'think? Be safe.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

Motorcycling is awesome! the Ducati Monster 797 actually seem like a pretty good first bike! 73hp, small and light 🙂

However, such a nice bike might make you care a little too much about the bike (it all depends on what kind of person you are of course). You should expect making a few dents on your first bike.

I would recommend that you take a couple of classes with a traffic school where you can ride their bikes, those bikes have been dropped and over-revved many times so you don't have to care about material damage and just focus on learning the basics!

Good luck to you!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58352 Posts

I don't own or ride motorcycles, but a buddy of mine had an older Honda, I don't know the model. But he turned it into what they call a "cafe bike". I always thought it looked really cool, sounded good, and he really liked to ride it.

Two things I want to do before I get too old, get some tatoos and own a motorcycle.

claymoreman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 claymoreman23
Member since 2019 • 302 Posts

looking maybe sometime in the near future, to ride a bike. maybe a motorcycle or a sporty bike, anyhow interested in riding around my town and state on highways and such. looks like riding a motorcycle gives out clarity so I definitely want to try that out.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

I wish I have one but the closest thing I have is an e-bike, which I really like.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts

had one for a few years in my mid 20's but ended up selling as it was a hassle, my apartment wouldn't allow motorcycles on property so I had to keep it at a friend's who also rode so we'd ride together.

learned by taking a class ( would recommend ) and bought an older honda cbr f2. basically this.

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
@MirkoS77 said:

What kind of motorcycle? How long? I’m thinking of buying my first bike. My dream is a Ducati Monster, but for a first bike....eh. I don’t want to buy a banger though.

Are bikes really that difficult to learn on? I’ve been driving manuals for twenty eight years. Any advice? Also seems that bikers are their own clique. I’m not very social, am I expected to group up with other riders?

I do and this September will be 3 years since I began riding on my own motorcycle. I currently ride a Kawasaki ZX10R. Been riding for years but it was always on the back of my dads bike. This in turn helped me out so I didn't find it difficult to learn.

I'd recommend taking a riding course. You can really get a feel of whether or not you'd actually want to buy one and if you drop their bike, you don't have to pay for anything. Depending on which one you take, you use their bikes and it beats screwing up one that you yourself purchased. When riding, NEVER ASSUME what anyone is going to do, ride defensively, always stay alert, are a few of many tips that I can think of. You don't have to be in a group or anything, hell I ride by myself mostly even though I am in a group and also ride with my dad. I just stick my left hand out as a wave to another rider when I am passing them. I'd say go for it.