Anyone in US or anywhere else who lives near a nuclear power plant ?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

N-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 N-REAL
Member since 2003 • 2509 Posts

Given how the situation is developing at Fukushima I was wondering if someone around here lives near a nuclear reactor. What are your thoughts ?

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I can't say that I'm really concerned at the moment.
TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

You love your country far too much, I've seen you starting topic after topic conserning America. And even this one which could have been simple titled "Anyone who lives near a nuclear power plant?" had to be titled "Anyone in US or anywhere else who lives near a nuclear power plant ?". You are OBSESSED with your country. And you're one of the reasons I hate America.

DmadFearmonger

But its teh patriotism !

:P

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts

You love your country far too much, I've seen you starting topic after topic conserning America. And even this one which could have been simple titled "Anyone who lives near a nuclear power plant?" had to be titled "Anyone in US or anywhere else who lives near a nuclear power plant ?". You are OBSESSED with your country. And you're one of the reasons I hate America.

DmadFearmonger

Hmmm, could've sworn NREAL lives in Mexico.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
Depends on the definition of 'close' I guess. A hundred kilometers or so. I could live right next to one and still wouldn't be scared though since it's fairly modern.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Nope, I don't. The folks in Japan should have used Thorium, though. Wouldn't have caused such a large turd to hit the fan.

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
There is one about 20 miles from me. We have a few in Pennsylvania. Although, Pennsylvania sees relatively no natural disasters. Flooding is about the only thing that happens here.
N-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 N-REAL
Member since 2003 • 2509 Posts

[QUOTE="DmadFearmonger"]

Travo_basic

Hmmm, could've sworn NREAL lives in Mexico.

You're right Travo. I live in México and I love my country. US has more nuclear plants that anyother country so I think it's a valid topic

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
I live really close to one, I can actually see the clouds from it in the sky, and I'm not concerned at all.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Yes I do and I couldn't care less.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

DmadFearmonger

What the hell?... :|

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
I live less than 25 miles from Palo Verde Nuclear Plant, the largest nuclear power plant in America. If that thing ever melts down, I'll be vapor in a matter of seconds. :)
rcafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rcafan
Member since 2010 • 2025 Posts
my dad and my brother work at one. my brother a security guard and my dad is something i don't know. i been one at school its like.... 45 minutes away to about 50 minutes away i think from me... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seabrook_Station_Nuclear_Power_Plant
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

I'm in Toronto which is near the Pickering Nuclear plant. I have confidence in Canada's facilities, and CANDU reactor.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
I live in Michigan. We have 3 working nuclear powerplants last I heard. One is about an hour from me. Don't know where the rest are
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#17 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

DmadFearmonger

lol overreaction much?

Anyway, I used to live about 20 minutes from a nuclear plant, and my immediate family still does, but I doubt there's anything to worry about.

howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

DmadFearmonger

Wow. Pent up rage much? You're so quick to assume the TC is American just so you can bash America and you've made yourself look like a fool.

On topic: I live fairly close to 3 mile island. No, I'm not in the least concerned about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I have a greater chance of getting killed in a car accident every day to school or work than I do getting showered by radiation..

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I live around 10 miles from one and it does not concern me in the least.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Fairly close. It's right by my uncle's house. Not worried.

Branmuffin316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Branmuffin316
Member since 2009 • 1208 Posts

Yeah I live in Springfield and this fat bald guy is the safety inspector. He's going to be the death of us all.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

I live in Delaware and I can see the one in that's in the middle of the Delaware River...it's kinda creepy to look at but I don't really think about it too much.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

I don't believe one is around me but who knows i don't look much in it. i live in ohio btw.

BUT

question for you. Why are you saying anyone in u.s or anyone near a plant?

Do you think U.s is only ones have them?

They are bad and should never be built. They cause more harm then good...

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Yeah I live in Springfield and this fat bald guy is the safety inspector. He's going to be the death of us all.

Branmuffin316
Because hes fat an bald?
peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 peaceful_anger
Member since 2007 • 2568 Posts

I live about 150 miles from one. My uncle was the head engineer of it. I'm not worried.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

DmadFearmonger

Hmmmm...is that a hint of jealousy I detect? ;)

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

A few months ago there was almost a meltdown in a powerplant about 200 km away. Don't know if you'd call that nearby?

Bashers79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bashers79
Member since 2009 • 559 Posts

I live within 15 miles of a Nuclear Power Station and I actually work there to. Whats happening in Japan is very sad and I can only imagine what the poor souls, who are trying to stop it getting worse, are going through. Judging by the news reports on radiation levels, I very much doubt any of the guys still working at the plant will live very long, they are most likely aware of that fact to.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I live near one and it doesn't worry me.

Bashers79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bashers79

I don't believe one is around me but who knows i don't look much in it. i live in ohio btw.

BUT

k2theswiss

And what alternative do you suggest? Wind farms? None of the alternatives are viable on there own and coal fired power stations produce far to much CO2. Seeing as though the computer you use, to write ignorant comments with, is powered by electricity, may be you should pipe down a bit.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58402 Posts

Yeah, Diablo Canyon is about fifteenminutes away. I am not worried; they did lobby to have their inspection layed off for another 20 years so they dont have to do drastic upkeep on it, but supposedly the thing is so earthquake proof it can actually slide off the ground, into the ocean, and float lol. We had a 6.7 earthquake about five years ago in San Luis Obispo and I heard nothing bad happened there.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I live within 15 miles of a Nuclear Power Station and I actually work there to. Whats happening in Japan is very sad and I can only imagine what the poor souls, who are trying to stop it getting worse, are going through. Judging by the news reports on radiation levels, I very much doubt any of the guys still working at the plant will live very long, they are most likely aware of that fact to.

Bashers79
I haven't been paying much attention to Fukushima as of late, but I was under the impression that nothing has yet to go above that 1 Sv spike that occurred briefly about a week after the accident happened. Considering they pull people out if radiation goes above 250mSv I think they're fine. It's not like this was Chernobyl where merely being in the vicinity of the plant for a few hours was enough to guarantee you death.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58402 Posts

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

BUT

Bashers79

And what alternative do you suggest? Wind farms? None of the alternatives are viable on there own and coal fired power stations produce far to much CO2. Seeing as though the computer you use, to write ignorant comments with, is powered by electricity, may be you should pipe down a bit.

seriously.

Theres been, what? 50-60 deaths? 50 or so from the initialy explosion at CHernobyl, and another 10 or so from radiation. 3 Mile Island was a joke (well, not really, but a joke in the sense that people are still scared of it lol). Japan is serious, but I think it'll end up being ok.

Now lets look at coal/oil plants. How many people have died from mining coal in the past six decades? How much damage has been done to the environment? How many people have died or killed for oil? Hell, I'd bet more people have fallen to their deaths installing wind turbines than died from nuclear power plant related accidents :P

Solar and wind power atm is idealism. Nuclear power is the best we can do. Coal is outdated and harmful but relatively cheap. If it were up to me, all power plants would be nuclear and we'd invest more into alternative/renewable research so we have a viable solution to nuclear power fifty years from now.

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

Nope and wouldn't really bother me if I was.

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts

DmadFearmonger

The Kotex, they are on aisle three.

pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 pero2008
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts

There are two power plants that areboth around twenty miles from my house.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I used to live close to one, but it was not built on a fault line. Less to worry about in those cases.

laser-pointer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 laser-pointer
Member since 2008 • 584 Posts

I live about 45 miles from Palo Verde.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
There's one a few dozen miles from the city I live in. I'm not sure exactly how far. I also used to live near Oak Ridge, TN, so I'm just in a radiation hotspot. Hopefully, it's made me sterile.
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Yes I do and I am not worried.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

DmadFearmonger

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

Nope, I don't. The folks in Japan should have used Thorium, though. Wouldn't have caused such a large turd to hit the fan.

Hexagon_777

Im pretty sure the nuclear power plants in Fukushima were fairly old....

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
I live less than a half an hour away from Three Mile Island which almost had a major disaster in 1979. Honestly I don't really think about it that much because there hasn't been any major problems at it since and we don't get very many tsunamis here in central PA.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

If I understand correctly, there are no nuclear power plants in Maryland. I think there is one in Virginia but Im not sure...

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

Urworstnhtmare

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium#Thorium_as_a_nuclear_fuel

The Fukushima reactors (atleast the first one) were built in the 70s.

Bashers79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bashers79

[QUOTE="Bashers79"]

gameguy6700

I haven't been paying much attention to Fukushima as of late, but I was under the impression that nothing has yet to go above that 1 Sv spike that occurred briefly about a week after the accident happened. Considering they pull people out if radiation goes above 250mSv I think they're fine. It's not like this was Chernobyl where merely being in the vicinity of the plant for a few hours was enough to guarantee you death.

@ 250 mSv/hr you will achieve the UK annual dose limit in less than five minutes

Bashers79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bashers79

[QUOTE="Bashers79"]

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

BUT

mrbojangles25

seriously.

Theres been, what? 50-60 deaths? 50 or so from the initialy explosion at CHernobyl, and another 10 or so from radiation. 3 Mile Island was a joke (well, not really, but a joke in the sense that people are still scared of it lol). Japan is serious, but I think it'll end up being ok.

Now lets look at coal/oil plants. How many people have died from mining coal in the past six decades? How much damage has been done to the environment? How many people have died or killed for oil? Hell, I'd bet more people have fallen to their deaths installing wind turbines than died from nuclear power plant related accidents :P

Solar and wind power atm is idealism. Nuclear power is the best we can do. Coal is outdated and harmful but relatively cheap. If it were up to me, all power plants would be nuclear and we'd invest more into alternative/renewable research so we have a viable solution to nuclear power fifty years from now.

I'm arguing for nukes not against, I agree with you about them being the only viable power source at the moment.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

Urworstnhtmare

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium#Thorium_as_a_nuclear_fuel

The Fukushima reactors (atleast the first one) were built in the 70s.

so 30-40 years old? plus there were supposedly questionable safety violations going on in those plants, I remember reading that two of the workers claimed they had to mix radioactive materials by hand.