Anyone here take Engineering in University?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 taylor888
Member since 2005 • 2232 Posts

Just like every other first time student, I am curious what I am getting myself into. The first semester here is the same for every type of Major (I have not yet declared mine) and consists of Calculus, Math, Physics, Chemistry and General Engineering. I like Math enough as I would rather take math than History or ELA. I have 23 hours of class each week. From what the fear-mongering authorities tell me, I should have 2 hours of homework for every hour of class. Though, I hope that is not true.

Also, what is a Lab exactly? I have lab classes for Physics and Chem. Apparently they are just smaller, more personal classrooms but I really don't know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Most of the engineering courses arent till later. Your first year or two is basic science.

OOOOhhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 OOOOhhhhh
Member since 2003 • 148 Posts

In labs you generally perform experiments that demonstrate the topics you are going over in lecture. In Chemistry, for example, if you're going over pH you may do a titration experiment.

Twoyen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Twoyen
Member since 2011 • 31 Posts

Most of the engineering courses arent till later. Your first year or two is basic science.

sonicare
Yep. Calculus, Differential Equations, Physics, etc.
taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 taylor888

Thanks guys, but I know the layout of my future classes already. I was mostly just wondering if I will be overwhelmed with work or not.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
My advice, do extremely well in your first two years because the engineering classes are a bit harder. The first two years I was in college really saved my GPA from faling as far as it could have. Plus, there should be tutoring for all these entry level classes where you can go and meet up with other engineers and form little cliques that you will benefit a lot from. Labs are no fun at all, especially later on down the line when they take days to finish...
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#7 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I finished and graduated as a Mechanical Engineer.

You are going to need a strong work ethic and make sure you stay on top of your stuff. I don't know how it works in other colleges, but my private college was pretty tough. Lots of sleepless nights.

Some of the things you learn are amazing and really helps if you ever wanna build someting yourself. But the little details can be too much sometimes. Do no under-estimate the details. Always Always Always keep your units straight, Get good at it and fast, and your life will be a lot easier. I say this, and it should be obvious, but i was young, dumb and stubborn about it at the time.

First two years is mostly science based classes, physics, chemistry, mathmatics. the physics is usually aimed towards what is needed for engineers to know. You will learn theory but you will probably not delve deep into it. as a physics student would.

It's rewarding, but engineering, like doctor and lawyers. Are tough for a reason.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
I'm going into my junior year of Mechanical Engineering, and its very hard. I'm taking Calc3 and Differential Equations, I'm scared.....
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SaudiFury

My advice, do extremely well in your first two years because the engineering classes are a bit harder. The first two years I was in college really saved my GPA from faling as far as it could have. Labs are no fun at all, especially later on down the line when they take days to finish...ZumaJones07
This. big time. I screwed up, and at every freshman meeting i said the same thing. "these classes may seem easy, and you can slack off a bit. don't. whatever you do don't slack off on it. the more credits you take the harder it is to you raise you GPA and believe me some of the engineering courses can be brutal".

I had a professor for gears and shafts, We got 4 homework packets, that's it. Around 9-13 questions in each pack. The way my professor taught it, each question could take as short as 3 pages (of just calculations) or as long as 6. exams were not timed, open book open note, and could take as long as 6 hours to solve just 3 questions. :|

I know how to deal with gears without even referencing the computer. I got notes that pile thicker then two college books.

mr_zombie60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mr_zombie60
Member since 2007 • 560 Posts

Oh my.. sounds like I'll be in the same boat as OP XD Doesn't sound comforting...

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts

yup. computer engineering. graduated 10 years ago. my advice? work on your hw when the material is fresh in your head and don't procrastinate. this also give you the chance to get help if needed before it is due. professors hold office hours for a reason and appreciate people coming to them with a genuine interest in what they're teaching and are usually willing to help ( assuming you've put in the effort beforehand and are still struggling ) for group projects make sure you're with a group of people who are interested in doing well so you don't end up doing everything. you will get tired of writing up lab reports. no way around it :P

but hey, you'll graduate, get a job and get to make cool stuff for a living. so there's a plus.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
I'm going into my junior year of Mechanical Engineering, and its very hard. I'm taking Calc3 and Differential Equations, I'm scared.....AdamPA1006
Two of the easier courses you'll ever take. There are much, much scarier courses during junior year.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SaudiFury
[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"]I'm going into my junior year of Mechanical Engineering, and its very hard. I'm taking Calc3 and Differential Equations, I'm scared.....Dark__Link
Two of the easier courses you'll ever take. There are much, much scarier courses during junior year.

well it depends on what material is put in calc 3. at my college calc 3 was the mother-load of difficult concepts, then Calc 4 was a breeze. From what i was told at my University of Wisconsin Milwaukee guys, Calc 4 was the nightmare course. Also diffy Q is not that difficult really. >_> A bit of work yes, but not that difficult.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"]I'm going into my junior year of Mechanical Engineering, and its very hard. I'm taking Calc3 and Differential Equations, I'm scared.....Dark__Link

I thought those are sophomore level courses?

OOOOhhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OOOOhhhhh

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="AdamPA1006"]I'm going into my junior year of Mechanical Engineering, and its very hard. I'm taking Calc3 and Differential Equations, I'm scared.....coolbeans90

They are.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dark__Link

yup. computer engineering. graduated 10 years ago. my advice? work on your hw when the material is fresh in your head and don't procrastinate. this also give you the chance to get help if needed before it is due. professors hold office hours for a reason and appreciate people coming to them with a genuine interest in what they're teaching and are usually willing to help ( assuming you've put in the effort beforehand and are still struggling ) for group projects make sure you're with a group of people who are interested in doing well so you don't end up doing everything. you will get tired of writing up lab reports. no way around it :P

but hey, you'll graduate, get a job and get to make cool stuff for a living. so there's a plus.

comp_atkins
All this. Out of my group of friends from engineering, professions now include designing and working on: tilt-rotor aircraft, gas turbines, power plants, jet aircraft, and nuclear submarines (that's me!). Also, if you're cut out for engineering, the workload is nothing to fear. There's going to be some very, very difficult stuff, but limited amounts of it. Big projects will be the worst. And reports. I had a class where I had to write four 100-page technical reports. Just as awful as they sound. But for the most part, it's a lot easier than you might think. But that's if you're cut out for it. If it's not for you, it'll be a nightmare. :) And like everyone's said, the first year is nothing. Very easy stuff. The amount of time professors say you need to be working outside of class is bulls***. I did maybe 4-5 hours of homework a week. And no studying except a few hours before finals. That philosophy isn't so great for junior and senior years, so my GPA s*** the bed a little, but I ended up coming away with a 3.6 so no worries. You'll be fine.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dark__Link
[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="AdamPA1006"]I'm going into my junior year of Mechanical Engineering, and its very hard. I'm taking Calc3 and Differential Equations, I'm scared.....SaudiFury

well it depends on what material is put in calc 3. at my college calc 3 was the mother-load of difficult concepts, then Calc 4 was a breeze. From what i was told at my University of Wisconsin Milwaukee guys, Calc 4 was the nightmare course. Also diffy Q is not that difficult really. >_> A bit of work yes, but not that difficult.

Calc.... 4?! What??? What was the breakdown of concepts in those classes?
Alacoque72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Alacoque72
Member since 2008 • 1238 Posts

I might want to be an mechanical engineer. How much do they get paid? The university courses sound pretty hard

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AdamPA1006

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"] Two of the easier courses you'll ever take. There are much, much scarier courses during junior year.OOOOhhhhh

They are.

Ya I'm a little behind. I did well in Physics 1 and 2 so that gives me some hope
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dark__Link

I might want to be an mechanical engineer. How much do they get paid? The university courses sound pretty hard

Alacoque72
I was an aero, but most of my college friends were mechies. Most of us got jobs... and I'd say the range for starting salaries was $59k to $67k. I'll get back to you in 20 years to let you know what our mid-career salaries are. If all you're interested in is the pay, though, you probably won't make a good engineer.
OOOOhhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OOOOhhhhh

Ya I'm a little behind. I did well in Physics 1 and 2 so that gives me some hopeAdamPA1006

You should be fine. An extra semester never killed anyone.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AdamPA1006
[QUOTE="Alacoque72"]

Dark__Link
I was an aero, but most of my college friends were mechies. Most of us got jobs... and I'd say the range for starting salaries was $59k to $67k. I'll get back to you in 20 years to let you know what our mid-career salaries are. If all you're interested in is the pay, though, you probably won't make a good engineer.

Did you guys have internships? I have been working hard trying to get some, 2 of my friends did I know that they can be extremely helpful
Alacoque72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Alacoque72
Member since 2008 • 1238 Posts

[QUOTE="Alacoque72"]

Dark__Link

What kind of stuff would you do as a mechanical engineer?

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SaudiFury

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"][QUOTE="Dark__Link"] Two of the easier courses you'll ever take. There are much, much scarier courses during junior year.Dark__Link

Calc.... 4?! What??? What was the breakdown of concepts in those classes?

As it stands now at the university.

Calculus for Engineer's III delt with:

• L'Hospital's Rule.
  • Improper integrals.
  • Arc length.
  • Work.
  • Fluid pressure and force.
  • Parametric equations.
  • Polar coordinates and graphs.
  • 3-Space Vectors, lines, and planes.
  • Surfaces in three dimensions.
  • Functions of several variables.
  • Partial derivatives.
  • Extrema of functions of two variables.

Calculus for Engineer's IV deals with:

• Double integrals, area, volume, and moments.
  • Triple integrals, volume, moments, cylindrical and spherical coordinates.
  • Sequences.
  • Infinite series and tests for convergence.
  • Power series and intervals of convergence.
  • Taylor and Maclaurin series.
Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

I start my first year of enigineering on the 7th of September. Have a year to decide what I want to become, but I think I want to work around roller coasters :P

I took AP Math and Physics and I have to retake the classes since if you take engineering, they don't recognize your scores. I got a 5 on the Math and a 3 on the Physics so at least I'm a little prepared :P

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dark__Link

As it stands now at the university.

• L'Hospital's Rule.
  • Improper integrals.
  • Arc length.
  • Work.
  • Parametric equations.
  • Partial derivatives.

• Sequences.

SaudiFury

What the... Most of both of those is Calc 2 for me. The remainder of your Calc 4 is then my Calc 3. And a bit of your Calc 3 is my Calc 3. Weird!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="Alacoque72"]

AdamPA1006

Did you guys have internships? I have been working hard trying to get some, 2 of my friends did I know that they can be extremely helpful

i had 1 internship prior to my senior year but the work was entirely unrelated to work i wanted to be doing..( it was a software qa test job.. ugh ) where i work now though does hire interns each summer and very often is the case they'll get a job offer for the following year after they graduate. so they're definitely helpful in getting some real-world experience and getting your feet in the door.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SaudiFury

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"What the... Most of both of those is Calc 2 for me. The remainder of your Calc 4 is then my Calc 3. And a bit of your Calc 3 is my Calc 3. Weird!

yeah. Calc 2 and Calc 4 were easy in comparison with Calc 3. By far and away Calc 3 was the most difficult for me and many other people. We worked on Tri-mesters.

OOOOhhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 OOOOhhhhh

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]As it stands now at the university.

• L'Hospital's Rule.
  • Improper integrals.
  • Arc length.
  • Work.
  • Parametric equations.
  • Partial derivatives.

• Sequences.

Dark__Link

What the... Most of both of those is Calc 2 for me. The remainder of your Calc 4 is then my Calc 3. And a bit of your Calc 3 is my Calc 3. Weird!

Same for me. Your Calc III and IV sound like my Calc II and III.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"]

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]As it stands now at the university.

• L'Hospital's Rule.
  • Improper integrals.
  • Arc length.
  • Work.
  • Parametric equations.
  • Partial derivatives.

• Sequences.

OOOOhhhhh

Same for me. Your Calc III and IV sound like my Calc II and III.

Yup, same here.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dark__Link
Did you guys have internships? I have been working hard trying to get some, 2 of my friends did I know that they can be extremely helpfulAdamPA1006
I had one (summer after my junior year)... a lot of my friends had two. Internships are huge... if you don't have one or two, you're basically f***ed. Be on the lookout this year! You should be applying to them very soon.
What kind of stuff would you do as a mechanical engineer?Alacoque72
Fun things. Check one of my above posts for what some of my friends are doing now.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Dark__Link

I start my first year of enigineering on the 7th of September. Have a year to decide what I want to become, but I think I want to work around roller coasters :P

I took AP Math and Physics and I have to retake the classes since if you take engineering, they don't recognize your scores. I got a 5 on the Math and a 3 on the Physics so at least I'm a little prepared :P

Da_lil_PimP
Coasters are fun, but just be ready to take what you can get. Going into college, I wanted to design fighter jets. Now I design submarines. :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
Physics, chemistry, and calc in 1 semester? I don't envy you one bit...
Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts
[QUOTE="Da_lil_PimP"]

Dark__Link
Coasters are fun, but just be ready to take what you can get. Going into college, I wanted to design fighter jets. Now I design submarines. :P

I don't think you can go wrong with any engineering. Every branch sounds awesome :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

• L'Hospital's Rule.
  • Arc length.
  • Work.

SaudiFury

That was calc. 1 stuff for me. :P

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SaudiFury

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]

• L'Hospital's Rule.
  • Arc length.
  • Work.

Guppy507

That was calc. 1 stuff for me. :P

yeah. I didnt have a whole lot to reflect my experience against. so it all seemed fairly normal to me. just went along with the courses and what they were teaching us. Retention is there crystal clear for some subjects, a little foggy on the rules for others. Would need to refresh.
taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 taylor888

Physics, chemistry, and calc in 1 semester? I don't envy you one bit...Guppy507
Like I said before, I think I would prefer taking all science/math classes rather than philosophy/english/history. I have to take one ELA class in Sem 2, and that is still too much for me. Not that I am bad at writing, I just think those classes would be straight up boring, as they were in High School.

I finished and graduated as a Mechanical Engineer.

You are going to need a strong work ethic and make sure you stay on top of your stuff. I don't know how it works in other colleges, but my private college was pretty tough. Lots of sleepless nights.

Some of the things you learn are amazing and really helps if you ever wanna build someting yourself. But the little details can be too much sometimes. Do no under-estimate the details. Always Always Always keep your units straight, Get good at it and fast, and your life will be a lot easier. I say this, and it should be obvious, but i was young, dumb and stubborn about it at the time.

First two years is mostly science based classes, physics, chemistry, mathmatics. the physics is usually aimed towards what is needed for engineers to know. You will learn theory but you will probably not delve deep into it. as a physics student would.

It's rewarding, but engineering, like doctor and lawyers. Are tough for a reason.

SaudiFury

Im leaning towards mechanical engineering. I want to be involved with new technology and create innovative designs. My other choice is electronic systems engineer, but I'm not too sure what that entails. I've decided to wait a year before I declare a major.

Also, to let you know, I am planning on taking part in the Co-op program. It is just semester long internships every other semester, starting in Sem 4.

taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 taylor888

I had a class where I had to write four 100-page technical reports.Dark__Link

I was scared when they told us we might have to write a 30 page paper. I can't imagine writing 100 pages. The longest paper I have written was like 8 pages. Thinking about it though, it is probably comparable to when I was younger. We would get our Math textbooks in like grade 7 and I would flip through to the end just to see how difficult it was going to be. I would be scared because it looked like complete gibberish, but when we finally reached that section is was a cakewalk. I guess what I am trying to say is that I will probably adapt, even though now I think it is preposterous.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

I just finished my second year of Civil Engineering, and I'm thinking of switching programs. First year is primarily general science programs but you will get more and more career oriented courses as you progress. You have to have a very good work ethic and engineering in general is very details oriented. I personally didn't enjoy it very much (thus my thoughts of changing programs), but it can be a very rewarding program if you have a strong interest in the subject matter and the work ethinc to do well.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SaudiFury

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"]I had a class where I had to write four 100-page technical reports.taylor888

I was scared when they told us we might have to write a 30 page paper. I can't imagine writing 100 pages. The longest paper I have written was like 8 pages. Thinking about it though, it is probably comparable to when I was younger. We would get our Math textbooks in like grade 7 and I would flip through to the end just to see how difficult it was going to be. I would be scared because it looked like complete gibberish, but when we finally reached that section is was a cakewalk. I guess what I am trying to say is that I will probably adapt, even though now I think it is preposterous.

I'm doing a Master's - not in engineering. Where i wrote about the system safety issues a water bottling plant may face. Total pages was 20. Last year i wrote a 28 page paper explaining the benefits and drawbacks of using ISO 1400 environmental management safety standards. during my bachelor from time to time i did write a 15-20 page lab report. With the exception of my final senior design paper which was a team-cumulative project, i had one lab report that was 30 pages. It's going to happen. What matters is that you pace yourself. If you are a procrastinator you are S.O.L.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Hmm, any civil/structure engineers that would like to add the the thread? I'm interested in reading.

Inger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Inger1
Member since 2005 • 941 Posts

Unfortunately no matter what people tell you, you really can't get a guage on how suited you are for Engg until you actually try it yourself. For undergraduate degrees, enginneering is the biggest shift up in difficulty vs high school. For other undergraduate degrees the amount of work can be equivalent to or only a little more compared to high school but thats definitely not the case with engineering, expect to be challenged.

The best advice I can give you is decide early on if engineering is where you want to be after you've experienced some of the course work. I know too many people from my engg classes who tried to "grind it out" and ended up on dean's vacation as a result. I don't know how it is at other universities but at my school, faculty of engg had very strict requirements and very few second chances and as a result if you did poorly it could end up screwing up your entire program at that university.

I'm not saying to switch majors at the first sign of trouble but find a good balance. If you find yourself putting in huge amount of work and only getting average or poor returns then you should think about whether engg is right for you.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SaudiFury
I know too many people from my engg classes who tried to "grind it out" and ended up on dean's vacation as a result.Inger1
Dean's vacation? what does that mean?
Inger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Inger1

If your combined GPA for 1 year is under 2.0 you have a meeting with the dean or another high ranking person in the faculty and then are placed on probation where you have to take a year break. You are not allowed to take any courses at the university for that year period. After the year has passed you come back, have another meeting with the dean and can continue where you left off. However after you return you are still on probation and if your gpa ever goes below 2.0 again for a combined year, you are kicked out of the university permanently.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 redstorm72

If your combined GPA for 1 year is under 2.0 you have a meeting with the dean or another high ranking person in the faculty and then are placed on probation where you have to take a year break. You are not allowed to take any courses at the university for that year period. After the year has passed you come back, have another meeting with the dean and can continue where you left off. However after you return you are still on probation and if your gpa ever goes below 2.0 again for a combined year, you are kicked out of the university permanently.

Inger1

Yeah, the GPA is something you really need to keep an eye on. At my university, (Ottawa U) if your GPA dipped below 4.5 you were on probation, and if it went below 3.5, you were withdrawn from your program. Find out what the requirements are for you program, and take them seriously. Make sure to maximize your grades on the easy courses so you have a bit of beathing room on the harder courses.

MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts

[QUOTE="Inger1"]

redstorm72

Yeah, the GPA is something you really need to keep an eye on. At my university, (Ottawa U) if your GPA dipped below 4.5 you were on probation, and if it went below 3.5, you were withdrawn from your program. Find out what the requirements are for you program, and take them seriously. Make sure to maximize your grades on the easy courses so you have a bit of beathing room on the harder courses.

Probation at 4.5 GPA? What...
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 redstorm72

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

[QUOTE="Inger1"]

MrGrimFandango

Probation at 4.5 GPA? What...

Sorry, I meant CGPA (I don't remember the calculation but it goes from 10 (max) to 1 (min) with 4.5 being a C+).

Inger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Inger1

WOAH... 4.5=C+ and thats already enough to put you on probation? I thought my university was strict but you won't end up on probation until you get below 2.0 and thats a C- or lower

taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 taylor888

Im not sure how to calculate GPA, but the passing grade is 60% here. I hope I can handle it.

As for the person asking about civil engineering. I think it is only a 2 year course at the tech school here and I'm sure it is mostly applied learning.

woMANly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 woMANly
Member since 2006 • 51 Posts

I had a friend like that, he took 23 creds his first semester. It's doable since most of those classes are easy classes or gen eds. Engineering for me didn't get hard till my third year where I was interning at a company, doing my senior design project, and taking the usual classes at the same time. Before that year, I felt that things weren't that bad but I would hit a time where there was a lot of work; however, things weren't that bad as long as you put the time into it. It also depends heavily on where you go to school. I'm sure I would have a more difficult time in a top 10 university.