Anyone else had a nervous breakdown? Tips?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts

I am/have been going through one, ever since the business club problem, being sexually harassed (see other thread), and turning in the teacher for blowing up 4 years ago (which felt really weird, and I recanted the statement). Ever since, I have been physically ill at times, with an unbelievable amount of anxiety and depression (where I physically shake sometimes), and am generally unable to function except for my part-time job washing dishes (where I still feel incredibly anxious and depressed). I took the semester off for school (I only have 23 hours left) and have gotten therapy, which has helped (he gave me several self-help books to help me). My anxiety has gone a lot down, as has the physical illness but I still have very 'down' thoughts and generally have the feeling of having a "cold." Has anyone had this experience?

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

Friend, I never had a nervous breakdown, but I'm usually under a lot of pressure from all sides, have been suffering from anxiety myself, but not to the point of being unable to sleep, physically shake or to feel depressed. I suffered from depression already many years ago though, and before that, in childhood, also suffered from bullying, and I was a mess during that time.

I think the most important thing I'd say, is that from what you're telling us, you're being strong about it. It takes a lot of nerve and courage to turn in someone who sexually harassed you. I'd be proud of myself if I managed to do it. From what you're mentioning, you seem to be taking action to get better by seeking help on your own and keeping some daily activities to keep you going. Truly mate, few have the guts to take care of themselves like that, to come public on it and so easily ask people for tips. It seems to me you're already fighting it quite fine like that.

I'd say... try practicing a sport like running. That's great on reducing anxiety for me... you can try swimming or even just walking while looking at whatever scenery you have at any nice location near your home. It's good to get some air and move the body. If you feel like reading, maybe try reading this one book: Siddartha from Hermann Hesse. Reading helps a lot too... at least for me.

Truly, I wish you get better soon. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about it, if you want to discuss books, sports, anything.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

1. Yes as mentioned - physical exercise is THE most helpful thing

2. It's really up to your emotional/mental stability; Read The Power of Now if you have not already. Only you can really help yourself.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

yeah take care of your health, good health practice should level things out until you can allow yourself to see things in a reasonable light. If you spiral down into bad health habits, then it just invites a black hole of misery from which it's harder and harder to see your way through. Don't romanticize negative outcomes of others like many do, it's the worst thing to do. Fight for yourself and realize you deserve a decent and healthy view of yourself against all odds.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14812 Posts

I've never had a breakdown. I had a friend who worked at a call centre who experienced one. I've had panic attacks and sleep paralysis; scariest things that's happened to me. I have anxiety from school and work. I also get depression now and then. Exercising and sexy time helps out a lot. Stay away from drugs (prescription). They may help in the long run but the body will get used to it and when you stop taking them you'll go through withdrawal. Exercise, eat right, limit caffeine. If therapy is working then stick with it.