Anybody into MLS soccer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wslacker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wslacker2
Member since 2007 • 1192 Posts

Yes, we call it soccer here in the U.S. I work at Qwest field where the Seattle Seahawks and Seattle Sounders FC play. Was wondering if anybody follows MLS on here? If so, who is your team?

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

You got yourself a Toronto FC fan here! Yes, I said fan, not fanatic. Now, I hear the Vancouver Whitecaps are due to join up with MLS next season. (2011) Go Toronto!!!!

KILLANINJADUCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KILLANINJADUCK
Member since 2007 • 762 Posts

I dont really follow it because international soccer is better.. but mls i gotta go withh the galaxy ashame the players couldnt get on the other side of those beautiful crosses by david beckham

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Calvin079

^ Yeah, I'll give you that. International Football is better, no doubt about that. But, at least MLS gives us something on TV to watch besides hockey (NHL).

wslacker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wslacker2
Member since 2007 • 1192 Posts

Football is the world's game. People eat, sleep, dream it. Here in the U.S. it has not caught on. It failed in the 1970's. It may fail now. But it is a great sport. I played it growing up. I like NFL football much more, but soccer (aka football) is not bad at alll.

bokiloki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bokiloki
Member since 2008 • 1452 Posts

no mls is terrible imo. i follow the mexican primera division, english premier league, la liga (spain), and some italian league and international football of course (world cups etc) the mexican league is my passion though

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Calvin079

I relaize its your opinion, and I want to know the reason behind it. Why is MLS terrible? Its not the best, we know that, but it certainly isn't the worst either.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

I don't follow it, but I've watched a few games here and there.

kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

I've seen a few entertaining games. They really don't show much of the games on TV and when it is on, its hardly ever advertised.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
I try to like soccer. I really do. I like the NFL, MLB, NHL, Arena Football League, NBA, National Lacrosse League, college football, college hockey, Canadian Football, United Football League, Minor League Baseball, and Nippon Professional Baseball. I am a sports fanatic. But there are too many things that irritate me. There are too many damned ties. Teams often play for them when positioning themselves for the playoffs. And that's ridiculous. None of the big soccer associations make any effort to cut down on flopping, and the idea that a team can lose in the playoffs and still advance on aggregate goals infuriates me. A Major League Soccer team plays right near me. I could walk to one of the Colorado Rapids' games if I had a mind to. But the sport goes out of its way to irritate me, seemingly. The best thing the NHL ever did was eliminate ties and flopping. MLS should follow suit.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Calvin079

But thats how FIFA works as well with the aggregate goals. I like the ties, actually. At least the game is over and there is no penalty kicks or Extra Time to worry about.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

The reason aggregate goals are in place is because home field is a huge advantage, so if the away team scores they are given an extra goal in hand, Stamford Bridge is a good example of an intimidating stadium.. imagine 60k people right up next to the field telling you that you suck and you are bad.. it's pretty overwhelming.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 savebattery

The reason aggregate goals are in place is because home field is a huge advantage, so if the away team scores they are given an extra goal in hand, Stamford Bridge is a good example of an intimidating stadium.. imagine 60k people right up next to the field telling you that you suck and you are bad.. it's pretty overwhelming.

Espada12
FedEX Field in Maryland holds over 90,000 for NFL games. A hostile crowd is no excuse for losing, and a team should NEVER be rewarded for losing.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 savebattery

But thats how FIFA works as well with the aggregate goals. I like the ties, actually. At least the game is over and there is no penalty kicks or Extra Time to worry about.

Calvin079
Athletic contests should have winners and losers. A tie is boring and unsatisfying.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

savebattery

FedEX Field in Maryland holds over 90,000 for NFL games. A hostile crowd is no excuse for losing, and a team should NEVER be rewarded for losing.

I'm not sure here but do NFL games play home and away against teams ? Or is it just random which stadium they are at? Because while you may not think it doesn't affect players it does.. imagine 30 people shouting behind you while you are playing a video game or something.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 savebattery

[QUOTE="savebattery"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

I'm not sure here but do NFL games play home and away against teams ? Or is it just random which stadium they are at? Because while you may not think it doesn't affect players it does.. imagine 30 people shouting behind you while you are playing a video game or something.

The NFL is divided into two conferences, each having four divisions. A team plays a home and away with every team in its division. In a given season, one division of teams plays the entirety of a division from its own conference and the other conference. That makes for a set total of 14 games, with the other two being left for random teams or rivals.
sogni_belli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sogni_belli
Member since 2010 • 950 Posts

MLS is OK, but it just doesn't have the intensity of gameplay that I find in the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, or UEFA Chamions League gameplay. Watching Manchester United is exciting because the team is dynamic. (OMG, Man U owned ACM yesterday in Champions League. My poor rossoneri.....) Watching AC Milan is exciting because players like Ronaldinho have great control and pull off amazing WTF circus shots. I just don't find that in the MLS. I can't get excited about FC Dallas, DC United, etc.

Gundamforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gundamforce
Member since 2005 • 1222 Posts

Just started rooting for the LA Galaxy recently. Of course the quality of this league could be better, but Soccer has to get alot more popular in the US (and Canada as well) for that to happen.

5yar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 5yar
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
only watch serie a (italian league)
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

savebattery
Athletic contests should have winners and losers. A tie is boring and unsatisfying.

Ties help determine who the winner and losers are at the end of the season though. If a team can't beat another in regulation or limited overtime, they shouldn't be given a chance to have a better standing through a gimmick skills contest (NHL, I'm talking to you).
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
[QUOTE="wslacker2"] Anybody into MLS soccer?

Nope...sorry I am not into soccer...but even if I was, I would not be watching MLS...would be like someone not liking baseball and trying to watch minor league/triple A ball -if (big if) I am going to watch a soccer match, then I am going to watch the big boys play...
MagikarpSplash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 MagikarpSplash
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
Not really, although I've watched a few games here and there. Landon Donovan was recently in the English Premier League, good player. 8)
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

I just keep track of the home team: Toronto FC, otherwise, I don't really follow it.